Sally Durant Plummer
#125Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/13/22 at 11:38am

Y'all are still arguing about this?

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

Papi2013
#126Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/13/22 at 11:42am

Patti is Patti.  Personally;  I loved that this happened.    Anyone needing to clutch their pearls..   be careful not to choke on them.  

Broadway61004
#127Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/13/22 at 11:43am

joevitus said: And, yeah, at this point, when the most recent strains are mild, when anyone can get vaxxed and boostered for free, and when most people are no longer required to mask in public or even in large gatherings inside, we aren't in the danger zone we were in two years ago. The rules have changed. Remember how absurd the argument "it's like the flu" used to be? Well now, it actually is pretty much like the flu for most people.

joevitus, all due respect, but no one cares about your opinion of masks because it's completely irrelevant to this conversation. You can think what you want about masks and the current state of covid and all that stuff. Bottom line, the theatre has a policy. You either follow that policy or you don't go to the theatre. It's as simple as that. I may think it's dumb and pointless to have to take my shoes off at a friend's house, but if they ask me to, it's their house and they get to set those guidelines, so I will. Personal opinion on the effectiveness of it is completely irrelevant.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
BWayBabe
#129Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/13/22 at 11:58am

SLAP ASIDE this was definitely a Will Smith "KEEP MY WIFE'S NAME OUT OF YOUR F***ing MOUTH" kind of moment. The giveaway was Katrina and Nikki's reactions... very similar to Lupita's.

I can't name a single actor of color who can speak like this and be celebrated for it. Many would never work in this town again. This however has become Patti's brand.  This is unfortunate because this gets more press than her work as of late.

I get that COVID is frustrating and the community has suffered but also I'm over the glorification of  dropping f-bombs and talking to people crazy.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#130Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/13/22 at 12:17pm

BWayBabe said: "SLAP ASIDE this was definitely a Will Smith "KEEP MY WIFE'S NAME OUT OF YOUR F***ing MOUTH" kind of moment. The giveaway was Katrina and Nikki's reactions... very similar to Lupita's.

I can't name a single actor of color who can speak like this and be celebrated for it. Many would never work in this town again. This however has become Patti's brand. This is unfortunate because this gets more press than her work as of late.

I get that COVID is frustrating and the community has suffered but also I'm over the glorification of dropping f-bombs and talking to people crazy.
"

Her work has been getting great press and hopefully this improves ticket sales as well.  Love Patti.  And I love that she expresses herself that way. 

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#131Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/13/22 at 12:21pm

BWayBabe said: "SLAP ASIDE this was definitely a Will Smith "KEEP MY WIFE'S NAME OUT OF YOUR F***ing MOUTH" kind of moment."

BALDERDASH

Non sibi sed patriae

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#132Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/13/22 at 12:21pm

This was a entire segment on The View.  Even the Republican guest was on Patti's side.  

Updated On: 5/13/22 at 12:21 PM

sf2
#133Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/13/22 at 12:22pm

I have witnessed, and also experienced it myself, that asking people politely to pull up their mask (or to put one on)  in areas where compliance is required, at this point does nothing. They get nasty about it and won't do it.   I am tired of the excuses being made for people who won't comply with the mask policy.  Don't like it?  Don't want to wear one at all?  Then don't come!    I caught covid from maskless riders on the PATH, and almost died. I will have medical issues for the rest of my life because of it.  I have no more patience anymore, and am tired of having to be polite to people who could care a less if others around them die because of their actions.  Why should anyone be polite to someone like that?  Team Patti all the way on this one.  And by the way, where is the theatre "Covid Manager" during all of this?  Why weren't they doing their job?  I am so sick of the complacency.   

JCount
Updated On: 5/13/22 at 12:22 PM

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#134Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/14/22 at 11:00am

Broadway61004 said: "joevitus said:And, yeah, at this point, when the most recent strains are mild, when anyone can get vaxxed and boostered for free, and when most people are no longer required to mask in public or even in large gatherings inside, we aren't in the danger zone we were in two years ago. The rules have changed. Remember how absurd the argument "it's like the flu" used to be? Well now, it actually is pretty much like the flu for most people.

joevitus, all due respect, but no one cares about your opinion of masks because it's completely irrelevant to this conversation. You can think what you want about masks and the current state of covid and all that stuff. Bottom line, the theatre has a policy. You either follow that policy or you don't go to the theatre. It's as simple as that. I may think it's dumb and pointless to have to take my shoes off at a friend's house, but if they ask me to, it's their house and they get to set those guidelines, so I will. Personal opinion on the effectiveness of it is completely irrelevant.
"

It was also a side note to my main argument, which was that the person should have been wearing their mask properly, and it would have been fine to make them leave, but that screaming F-bombs does nothing to encourage anyone to wear their mask properly or even leave, nor would it be allowed by any other employee in any other business.

But concentrate on your tangent since it's the only way you can make any kind of point.

Updated On: 5/14/22 at 11:00 AM

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#135Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/14/22 at 3:23pm

Karen got LuPwn'd big time!

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#136Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/14/22 at 3:30pm

morosco said: "Karen gotLuPwn'd big time!"

Actually, LuPone was the Karen here.

lily carver
#137Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/14/22 at 4:07pm

No she isn't and have read your posts with horror. Covid is NOT "like the flu" , right now with the "less dangerous Omicron variant "only" about 2500 Americans A WEEK are still dying from it but it is now ticking up. Over 20,000 are in the hospital now. We KNOW that wearing a good mask will dramatically reduces  your chances of getting OR spreading it ( as in over 90%) In the early days of vaccines they were highly effective in stopping the spread but sadly since nearly 1/3 of the population chose not to get vaccinated, it mutated into a strain that vaccinated people do spread to a high degree even it offers major protection from severe illness and death. I simply can not grasp why people will not wear a piece of fiber "cloth" on their face inside to protect themselves and others. The ignorance and selfishness are staggering. The mask actually offers far more protection from getting Covid than the vaccine with the current strain. If you do not want to wear a mask  where the rules are clearly spelled out then stay home. Ms. LuPone tried to reason with your fellow denier and it did not work. I only wish my finances would allow me to see COMPANY but Patti ROCKS

Consistency
#138Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/14/22 at 4:18pm

joevitus said: "morosco said: "Karen gotLuPwn'd big time!"

"

Well, no. Some of the hallmarks of a “Karen” (I hate that term) are a sense of entitlement and a belief that they don’t have to follow the same rules as everyone else. In the past two years, refusing to wear a mask in an establishment that requires it has become one of the stereotypical indicators of a Karen.

Once again, I don’t like the term - but if anyone in this scenario is behaving like a “Karen” as popularly defined, it’s clearly the audience member and not Patti.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#139Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/14/22 at 5:50pm

Consistency said: "joevitus said: "morosco said: "Karen gotLuPwn'd big time!"

"

Well, no. Some of the hallmarks of a “Karen” (I hate that term) are a sense of entitlement and a belief that they don’t have to follow the same rules as everyone else. In the past two years, refusing to wear a mask in an establishment that requires it has become one of the stereotypical indicators of a Karen.

Once again, I don’t like the term - but if anyone in this scenario is behaving like a “Karen” as popularly defined, it’s clearly the audience member and not Patti.
"

Yup. And who had a sense of entitlement and wasn't wearing a mask at all? That would be Patti, dear. "But she gets tested all the time!" You don't know that Unknown Audience member doesn't get tested, hadn't just been tested or anything about her.

SoCalDirector
#140Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/14/22 at 6:29pm

joevitus said: "Consistency said: "joevitus said: "morosco said: "Karen gotLuPwn'd big time!"

"

"

Yup. And who had a sense of entitlement and wasn't wearing a mask at all? That would be Patti, dear. "But she gets tested all the time!" You don't know that Unknown Audience member doesn't get tested, hadn't just been tested or anything about her.
"

After reading all of this I think you are the Karen Joe.   How you continue to comment shows that there is a bigger problem here that Ms. LuPone.   

The actors don't wear masks during the show.  Why should they wear one during the talk back.  They are the same distance from some of the audience.  It is my understanding that the actors ARE tested every night and do not do the show of the if they are positive.

The audience is not tested when they arrive so that is unknown.  Not of it matters because the policy is to wear a mask CORRECTLY which means over your nose AND mouth.   That woman didn't want to comply she had no business being there AND should have been required to leave immediately.

For you to even attempt to defend the audience member makes me wonder what is wrong with you.  You clearly don't want to support Broadway and allow shows to continue.  I have had it with this kind of B.S.  After all the people who have died follow the rules if you go somewhere or stay home and follow your own rules.

Miles Robert Mills

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#141Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/14/22 at 6:51pm

To paraphrase a line made famous by the late great Olympia Dukakis: Broadway61004, if you have more to say, sit by me.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 5/14/22 at 06:51 PM

Highland Guy
#142Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/14/22 at 7:08pm

Sometimes, one of Patti's well-placed F-Bombs can be SO satisfying!

Warning:  adult word ahead.

Non sibi sed patriae

KFC1991
#143Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/14/22 at 7:20pm

joevitus said: "

Yup. And who had a sense of entitlement and wasn't wearing a mask at all? That would be Patti, dear. "But she gets tested all the time!" You don't know that Unknown Audience member doesn't get tested, hadn't just been tested or anything about her."

We've been around and around on this. You simply refuse to acknowledge that the cast and the audience operate on a different set or rules. You have a chip on your shoulder about Patti (I remember several of the comments you've made about her over the past couple of years) and I can only conclude that is making you refuse to see the situation for what it is. 

lopside
#144Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/14/22 at 7:26pm

Those calling Lupone a Karen. Lol. Please. Some people really expect subservience from performers. "I pay your salary". 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#145Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/14/22 at 7:26pm

Patti-themed merch at TodayTix:

https://store.todaytix.com/

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#146Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/15/22 at 1:52am

SoCalDirector said: "joevitus said: "Consistency said: "joevitus said: "morosco said: "Karen gotLuPwn'd big time!"

"

Once again, I don’t like the term - but if anyone in this scenario is behaving like a “Karen” as popularly defined, it’s clearly the audience member and not Patti."

"

After reading all of this I think you are the Karen Joe. How you continue to comment shows that there is a bigger problem here that Ms. LuPone.

The actors don't wear masks during the show. Why should they wear one during the talk back. They are the same distance from some of the audience. It is my understanding that the actors ARE tested every night and do not do the show of the if they are positive.

The audience is not tested when they arrive so that is unknown. Not of it matters because the policy is to wear a mask CORRECTLY which means over your nose AND mouth. That woman didn't want to comply she had no business being there AND should have been required to leave immediately.

For you to even attempt to defend the audience member makes me wonder what is wrong with you. You clearly don't want to support Broadway and allow shows to continue. I have had it with this kind of B.S. After all the people who have died follow the rules if you go somewhere or stay home and follow your own rules.

"

Nah, you're the problem for not wanting anyone to comment who doesn't agree with you. And for them to keep comment! The worst. Her behavior was histrionic, out of place and--visibly--embarrassing to her costars. 

LOL, I'm the Karen. Sure.

White_Lotus Profile Photo
White_Lotus
#147Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/15/22 at 9:23am

Sutton Ross said: "Why you continue to waste your time arguing with a person 500 times in a row who doesn't come to New York and see theater and knows very little about it is beyond me. He's a plant here designed to troll and harass. His fav guy in New York City is Amar Ramasar.

Do not engage.
"

Is joevitus the forum member you are referring to SuttonRoss?

"Opinions are very interesting because we all have different ones. You are entitled to your opinion, but that does not mean you should always give it to others, especially when your opinion is not necessarily grounded in truth, but in what you believe or want to believe."

Highland Guy
#148Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/15/22 at 10:42am

joevitus said: "I'm the Karen."

We  are  in  agreement  !

Non sibi sed patriae

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123