pixeltracker

Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback

Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback

ramblingwreck97 Profile Photo
ramblingwreck97
#1Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/11/22 at 12:41am

Apparently there was a talkback after tonight's performance of Company, and Patti called out a woman not wearing her mask properly in the first few rows. After getting called out, the audience member responds: "we pay your salary!". 
Here's a video of the moment

Anyone there tonight or have any more info?

Rainah
#2Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/11/22 at 12:43am

What a queen

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#3Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/11/22 at 12:52am

It’s too bad she just can’t express herself.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#5Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/11/22 at 1:10am

Patti is the gift that keeps on giving.

TerrenceIsTheMann
#6Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/11/22 at 1:14am

Shameful behavior of the audience member. What is "a patriot" doing at a Sondheim genderbent musical?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#7Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/11/22 at 1:22am

Been way too long since we’ve heard her shout “Who Do You Think You Are?!”

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#8Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/11/22 at 1:51am

Reason number eleventy thousand that LuPone is an absolute badass.

Oh look, a bibu!

sng
#9Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/11/22 at 2:14am

I don't want to jinx it but every time Patti Lupone yells "Who do you think you are?" at someone in the audience, she wins the Tony Awards.

anchorduck
#10Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/11/22 at 2:23am

I was there! I think she noticed the anti-maskers early on in the talk back and was motioning at them to mask up. Then later on called them out on mic, basically telling them how to wear a mask. They didn't do anything, and she kept giving them the evil eye and pointing them out. The guy behind them tried telling them too. Soon Patti called them out again, and the lady replies "where's your mask?" Patti gets pissed, is like "Was I wearing a mask during the show? But sure I'll go put one on" Something like that, but with more f-bombs. Then the twitter clip happens. After the clip, Patti went on for a bit more then walked off as an usher made the two leave.

For more context, throughout the talk back she was expressing (very rightful) frustration at current events that got brought up. So to me it seemed like a lot of built up frustration, and it sucks that Patti had to deal with this at a probably voluntary talkback after a show.

also before all this Marianne Elliott commented on how strong Patti had made the gin and tonics they were drinking.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#11Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/11/22 at 4:13am

Pay attention to Katrina when the camera pans to her face. #iconic

Oh look, a bibu!

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#12Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/11/22 at 7:31am

LOVE. yes

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Hairspray0901
#14Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/11/22 at 8:35am

There is Audio floating around on Twitter with more of what happened - I can’t find it to share it at the moment though. It’s just over a minute long and starts slightly before that video starts. But Patti asks the audience to put the mask OVER their noses and the woman has the AUDACITY to ask “where are yours” (to the entire cast on stage). 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#15Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/11/22 at 8:36am

I love her so god damn much

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

phan418
#16Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/11/22 at 8:54am

"Chris Harper pays my salary" I'm dead.. this needs to be bedazzled on a. tshirt .

Patti slays once again..

Just like Cease and Desist Bitch on Girls5EVA. 

Broadway61004
#17Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/11/22 at 9:17am

Alright, I'm in the minority that felt Patti was kind of mediocre in Company. But I'm now fully on board with her winning the Tony strictly because of this.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#18Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/11/22 at 9:35am

sng said: "I don't want to jinx it but every time Patti Lupone yells "Who do you think you are?" at someone in the audience, she wins the Tony Awards."

The first time was at Andrew Lloyd Webber.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#19Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/11/22 at 9:51am

I can't believe we've been gifted another "Who do you think you are?" 

What a time to be alive! Seeing her and Katrina at 92nd Street Y (or whatever it's called now) later this month, and I can't wait to see what she'll say there. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#20Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/11/22 at 9:55am

Katrina deserves a retroactive Tony nomination for her reaction in this video LOL

Here's an audio recording of the full interaction: https://twitter.com/JoshuaKilimnik/status/1524238253762781186

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#21Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/11/22 at 10:10am

What was the context of the talkback, out of curiosity? 

Patti knows her own brand better than most stars. I personally think she gets a little TOO aggro/opinionated sometimes, but she's totally in the right here, after everything that cast has been through.

Lisalemann
#22Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/11/22 at 10:28am

Stupid question - but what are talkbacks?  How often do they happen?  Are they on certain nights? I've been going to shows for about 20 years and I don't ever remember anything like this after a show.  Sometimes they have the auction stuff to raise money for Broadway Cares - but that's it.  

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#23Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/11/22 at 10:33am

Lisalemann said: "Stupid question - but what are talkbacks? How often do they happen? Are they on certain nights? I've been going to shows for about 20 years and I don't ever remember anything like this after a show. Sometimes they have the auction stuff to raise money for Broadway Cares - but that's it."

Talkbacks are a conversation for a group of audience members with the actors after the performance. Often set up for school groups/group sales to "sweeten" the deal of buying bulk tickets, or for awards voters, etc. Sometimes also a marketing tool. Usually nonprofit theaters announce them in advance for subscribers/donors or just interested patrons. They usually last 10-20 minutes.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#24Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/11/22 at 10:50am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Lisalemann said: "Stupid question - but what are talkbacks? How often do they happen? Are they on certain nights? I've been going to shows for about 20 years and I don't ever remember anything like this after a show. Sometimes they have the auction stuff to raise money for Broadway Cares - but that's it."

Talkbacks are a conversation for a group of audience members with the actors after the performance. Often set up for school groups/group sales to "sweeten" the deal of buying bulk tickets, or for awards voters, etc. Sometimes also a marketing tool. Usually nonprofit theaters announce them in advance for subscribers/donors or just interested patrons. They usually last 10-20 minutes.
"

Yep. I've been part of several with a teachers group. Basically as everyone leaves the theater, you come up to the first couple rows. Actors come out usually once everyone else has left the theater. I doubt most people know they are even happening unless they are part of the group getting the talk back.

Nolan LuPone
#25Patti LuPone argues with anti-masker at Company talkback
Posted: 5/11/22 at 10:53am

Wow! Long Live La LuPone!

Videos