pixeltracker

Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?- Page 12

Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?

jlindsey865 Profile Photo
jlindsey865
#275Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 9:32am

The thought of Phillipa Soo as Cinderella makes me VERY excited.

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure
#276Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 11:15am

I had previously thought Phillipa could be a great Cinderella, I think she’d be an excellent choice. I’ve yet to see Patina’s Witch, but I’m told it’s great and given her track record I have no reason to think anything but.

I’m also coming around more to the idea of Brian paired up with Sara. He actually wouldn’t look too far off from her (who upon a further look is a little bit older than I remembered) and he knows how to play up the youthful charm. My only doubt was if he’d look too old opposite her, other than that I have zero doubt that he’d be perfect for the role.

BCfitasafiddle
#277Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 11:24am

Fingers crossed Julia Lester comes with this. Her "Little Red" was the highlight of the production for me. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#278Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 11:24am

On paper, Miller & Soo are fantastic casting.

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#279Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 11:42am

JBroadway said: "Fun fact! Brian D’arcy James played the Baker in a regional production over 20 years ago!"

Here's his "It Takes Two" with Leah Hocking: https://through-my-memoirs.tumblr.com/post/128575501575/brian-darcy-james-and-leah-hocking-sing-it

ElephantLoveMedley
#280Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 11:49am

Pippa Soo as Cinderella is thrilling casting. I hope it's true.

I love Patina but wasn't blown away by her Witch at Hollywood Bowl. Really wish it was still Heather or even Renée Elise Goldsberry.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#281Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 12:01pm

ElephantLoveMedley said: "I love Patina but wasn't blown away by her Witch at Hollywood Bowl. Really wish it was still Heather or even Renée Elise Goldsberry."

I'm willing to give Patina Miller another shot, since Lear is a much much much better director than Bobby Longbottom, who directed it at the Bowl (where it was put up with about 10 days of rehearsal).

I'm really hopeful the Witch's costuming will be better on Bway than at Encores.

#282Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 12:16pm

Well Brian’s take on that song is expectedly lovely. Yeah I’m ready for him to tackle the part again. Though given all the swirling rumors I won’t exactly hold my breath.

alexidarling15
#283Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 12:24pm

Pippa Soo as Cinderella = brilliant. Would that mean no Broadway transfer for Suffs? I loved her in that, too.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#284Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 12:35pm

alexidarling15 said: "Pippa Soo as Cinderella = brilliant. Would that mean no Broadway transfer for Suffs? I loved her in that, too."

Suffs is definitely still a LONG way off from Broadway. I loved it, but it definitely needs at least one more reworked production (probably regional or out-of-town) before it's ready to come to Broadway. Shaina is also busy ALL summer between Devil Wears Prada in Chicago and As You Like It at the Delacorte. So, the earliest this theoretical production is happening is this fall, but probably later than that. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#285Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 12:38pm

I can confirm that James, Miller, and Soo are the names I’ve been hearing and would be expecting.

There’s also another casting change for a less marquee role that I think is surprising. I’ve been hearing Rapunzel’s Prince has also been recast. The new actor isn’t the “wrong man” for the role- but he has 3 Tony nominations and I would think it’s a bit of a small role for him.  But I guess a paycheck is a paycheck!

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ElephantLoveMedley
#286Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 12:42pm

Kad said: "There’s also another casting change for a less marquee role that I think is surprising. I’ve been hearing Rapunzel’s Prince has also been recast. The new actor isn’t the “wrong man” for the role- but he has 3 Tony nominations and I would think it’s a bit of a small role for him. But I guess a paycheck is a paycheck!"

I'm guessing Brandon Uranowitz...?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#287Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 12:45pm

ElephantLoveMedley said: "Kad said: "There’s also another casting change for a less marquee role that I think is surprising. I’ve been hearing Rapunzel’s Prince has also been recast. The new actor isn’t the “wrong man” for the role- but he has 3 Tony nominations and I would think it’s a bit of a small role for him. But I guess a paycheck is a paycheck!"

I'm guessing Brandon Uranowitz...?
"

No, Kad is talking about Josh Henry (who played the lead in the musical called "The Wrong Man" - hence Kad's clue) 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#288Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 12:46pm

Kad said: "I can confirm that James, Miller, and Soo are the names I’ve been hearing and would be expecting.

There’s also another casting change for a less marquee role that I think is surprising. I’ve been hearing Rapunzel’s Prince has also been recast. The new actor isn’t the “wrong man” for the role- but he has 3 Tony nominations and I would think it’s a bit of a small role for him. But I guess a paycheck is a paycheck!
"

As with all of Kad's hints, this one's obvious too. I too think Joshua Henry is more of a name than someone who'd want to play Rapunzel's Prince but I can see wanting to be on stage with this cast singing Sondhiem a reason enough to say yes.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

#289Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 12:48pm

Sounds like Joshua Henry. He’d be great as Rapunzel’s Prince, but it is admittedly odd that he’d take on a part that’s so clearly second banana to Creel’s role, even if it’s a fun character on its own. I had even wondered about him as a potential Baker.

Of course, rumors say it’ll be a brief run, and that combined with all the strong buzz around the production, getting to work with an all star ensemble, and the opportunity to do arguably the most popular song may have sold him.

Updated On: 5/25/22 at 12:48 PM

BCfitasafiddle
#290Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 12:49pm

I'd rather see Joshua Henry as The Baker!!

ElephantLoveMedley
#291Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 12:51pm

Oops at the "wrong man" hint going completely over my head, LOL

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#292Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 1:11pm

I'm surprised this isn't disappointing to more folks. I can understand transferring a concert production when the casting catches lighting in a bottle... but when they're recasting so significantly I really wish this was going to be a full revival. There's so much magic in a full staging of Into the Woods I'm sort of sad we're probably just getting a concert staging. 

Anyway. The new names being mentioned are all remarkable and I'm happy about that. I'm sure I'll go and I'm SURE I'll be delighted and forget all about my complaints. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#293Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 1:15pm

I thought the City Center staging was beyond a concert staging. I do hope there is some stage magic in the Witch’s transformation- Heather awkwardly running off and coming back on was weak- but that’s really all this production was lacking. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#294Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 1:24pm

I was going to ask about the concert staging too. I haven't been able to see it - is there much in terms of set, costuming, choreography? 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#295Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 1:53pm

There are plenty of clips online where you can see the staging, but it’s nothing like a concert where the cast stands in front of microphones the whole time. As a comparison, I’d say it’s akin to the 2017 revival of SUNSET BOULEVARD. 

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#296Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 1:57pm

The concert production was the orchestra surrounded by stair risers and a walkway/platform in the back and playing space in the front. White birch tree-type drops flew in for the woods, and there were some small set pieces to indicate the houses in the beginnings of each act. It definitely featured about the same or more design elements than the usual Encores! presentation.

I really don’t understand all the objections to simply polishing the staging, as is. I found it highly effective and let the show be the star. I usually find a lot of set, or lots of concept, for Into the Woods swallows the whole show up. The costumes could maybe use some love, and as Kad mentioned, it would be nice to see something more done with the Witch’s transformation. But otherwise, I don’t really need anything more.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#297Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 1:59pm

I did think it was well and satisfyingly staged! Evocative and beyond what you'd expect for a concert staging. It also was very much not a full production. Just expressing disappointment this might mean we won't get a full Into the Woods revival for some time... and it's been 20 years since the last one. 

The Sunset Boulevard comparison is a good! I was also sort of disappointed in that staging too. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#298Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 1:59pm

Even if the set is mostly the same for Broadway, I expect they'll be able to enhance the staging, especially since the cast would be fully off-book. Or maybe they do retool the set and costume designs. David Rockwell designed the set, and we know he is capable of big "wows" if given the right budget.

Josh Henry would be excellent as Rapunzel's Prince –– and overqualified. But a paycheck is a paycheck, and he's got 3 young kids :)

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#299Encores: Into the Woods to Transfer to the St. James for limited run this summer?
Posted: 5/25/22 at 2:03pm

ColorTheHours048 said: " I really don’t understand all the objections to simply polishing the staging, as is. I found it highly effective and let the show be the star. I usually find a lot of set, or lots of concept, for Into the Woods swallows the whole show up. The costumes could maybe use some love, and as Kad mentioned, it would be nice to see something more done with the Witch’s transformation. But otherwise, I don’t really need anything more."

I like big flashy fancy sets, so I was curious. When I originally heard about this production, I assumed they were just singing in front of mics, so im happy it's not that

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?
Updated On: 5/25/22 at 02:03 PM