Music Man recording?

Dolly80
#1Music Man recording?
Posted: 5/15/22 at 3:05am

Have i missed an announcement? Or are they not releasing a cast recording? 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2Music Man recording?
Posted: 5/15/22 at 1:06pm

I would have assumed a Music Man cast album with Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster would be a sure thing but it's starting to look less likely.

zainmax
#3Music Man recording?
Posted: 5/15/22 at 10:22pm

While I have no inside info, I'm sure that it is coming.

OffOnBwayHi
#4Music Man recording?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 12:06am

Weird that this hasn't been announced...

It needs to be recorded. I wouldn't buy, but it needs a publicly accessible archive that the general public can listen to and experience the performances. I believe this about all Broadway musicals.

Plays have scripts, musicals need the recordings.

zainmax
#5Music Man recording?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 1:41am

I'm sure that it'll be recorded for TOFT

jenn328 Profile Photo
jenn328
#6Music Man recording?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 11:09am

As of right now, according to a cast member, nothing has been said about either a recording or a program book.  I ask him every few weeks so I'll update if this changes.

spicemonkey
#7Music Man recording?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 11:35am

jenn328 said: "As of right now, according to a cast member, nothing has been said about either a recording or a program book. I ask him every few weeks so I'll update if this changes."

What is a program book?

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#8Music Man recording?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 12:00pm

spicemonkey said: "jenn328 said: "As of right now, according to a cast member, nothing has been said about either a recording or a program book. I ask him every few weeks so I'll update if this changes."

What is a program book?
"

The souvenir programs they sell with photos of the production. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Rentaholic2
#9Music Man recording?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 12:40pm

I'm genuinely curious how a show like this doesn't get a cast recording.  It's the highest grossing show on Broadway currently, has six Tony winners in its cast, and for such a classic musical, it doesn't have all that many recordings.  

willep
#10Music Man recording?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 12:45pm

God forbid we lose the new Shipoopi, never to hear it again.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#11Music Man recording?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 1:04pm

Between Company and The Music Man I hope we don't lose the trend we've had for many years now that basically everything is always recorded crying

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#12Music Man recording?
Posted: 5/16/22 at 1:49pm

They make $3.5 million a WEEK. If this doesn’t get recorded it’s because someone doesn’t want it recorded.

pdjennings Profile Photo
pdjennings
#13Music Man recording?
Posted: 5/17/22 at 12:05pm

Is it me -- or does all the footage (seen in the new trailer and the recent "In The Wings" episode) certainly make it seems that they pro-shot the entire show?  Something tells me this might wind up on Disney+ or something at some point in the future.

jimmycurry01
#14Music Man recording?
Posted: 5/17/22 at 12:19pm

pdjennings said: "Is it me -- or does all the footage (seen in the new trailer and the recent "In The Wings" episode) certainly make it seems that they pro-shot the entire show? Something tells me this might wind up on Disney+ or something at some point in the future."

Typically, B-roll footage is only supposed to be used for press. I think Band Stand is the only exception on record. This has to do with the unions involved.

pdjennings Profile Photo
pdjennings
#15Music Man recording?
Posted: 5/17/22 at 1:21pm

They B-Roll the entire show, with fully composed, multi-angle shots of seemingly every scene? Hmmm.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#16Music Man recording?
Posted: 5/17/22 at 2:26pm

pdjennings said: "They B-Roll the entire show, with fully composed, multi-angle shots of seemingly every scene? Hmmm."

They may have filmed it for TOFT and the producers harvested the footage from that. 

Joviedamian
#17Music Man recording?
Posted: 5/17/22 at 5:09pm

We also have to realize that recordings can be far and in-between. Sometimes the reason why a recording has not happened as quickly as we would hope could be legal and contractual reasons. I remember, a musical that premiered in London years ago and had a big star in it. A recording was done, but in their contract, a new recording could not be made or never be made if the show was to be moved to Broadway without a five-year gap or even more and a new star was cast. In other words, the original London star did not want to be overshadowed by a newer, fresher performer on a Broadway run. It's kind of like a Patten. 

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#18Music Man recording?
Posted: 5/17/22 at 5:20pm

binau said: "Between Company and The Music Man I hope we don't lose the trend we've had for many years now that basically everything is always recordedcrying"

Because both shows were caught in the crosshairs of COVID, and just getting the productions onstage was difficult enough, I don't think the lack of a recording bespeaks a new trend going forward. I imagine both shows want to release a recording, but the unique circumstances created a unique situation. Hopefully both will be recording, and cast recordings of major revivals will continue to be a thing.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#19Music Man recording?
Posted: 5/17/22 at 6:01pm

Susan Stroman‘s revival, which played for a respectable 700 performances, had a cast album.

willep
#20Music Man recording?
Posted: 5/17/22 at 6:31pm

CarlosAlberto said: "pdjennings said: "They B-Roll the entire show, with fully composed, multi-angle shots of seemingly every scene? Hmmm."

They may have filmed it for TOFT and the producers harvested the footage from that.
"

…you know that TOFT filming looks nothing like B-Roll, right? Especially this B-Roll?

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#21Music Man recording?
Posted: 5/17/22 at 6:36pm

That trailer does have a "glossy" look to it, like it wasn't for just a B-Roll

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#22Music Man recording?
Posted: 5/17/22 at 8:21pm

Folks, there are many ways to shoot b-roll.

Sometimes shows just set up a few cameras at the back of the house, and then the ad agency edits excerpts together for various purposes (montages, 30-second spots, 15-second spots, etc). MUSIC MAN has gone full-out –– crisp 4K footage that was obviously shot at a specialized video-call without an audience, and then edited together to sort of resemble a film trailer. Per Equity, there are limits to how much b-roll can be released to the general public, and I am too brain-fried to remember those specifics at the moment.

The agency will have full recordings of the show sitting on a hard drive somewhere (shot from multiple angles) and also HD audio. The stage manager will have a video of the show for training/archival purposes, shot from back of house. These things are true of nearly every single Broadway show. They will never be released to you no matter how much you whine about it.

On a personal note, the b-roll of MUSIC MAN just underlines my problems with the production –– its ultra-high sheen and bright lighting, its clunky set design and saturated colors, Hugh's knowing winks to the audience, Hugh's very 2022 haircut. Some shows don't translate well to b-roll; it's an entirely different medium, especially when you're getting up in their faces as this is doing.

Rentaholic2
#23Music Man recording?
Posted: 7/14/22 at 9:32am

jenn328 said: "As of right now, according to a cast member, nothing has been said about either a recording or a program book. I ask him every few weeks so I'll update if this changes."

Curious if your source is still saying this?

Videos