pixeltracker

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical - News & Discussion Thread- Page 3

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical - News & Discussion Thread

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#50THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/16/22 at 12:46pm

For all those of us who thought the previous version of the artwork was illegible, it's been updated and is much easier to read:

https://devilwearspradamusical.com

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#52THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/16/22 at 1:04pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "everythingtaboo said: "Who's "Lauren" in the movie? Doesn't ring a bell."

There is no character in the film named Lauren.
"

That's what I thought. So weird that Emily (as a character) doesn't get a better billing aside from alphabetical after this new character.

That aside, I'm excited for Kate Wetherhead's book.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
Soozie
#54THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/16/22 at 1:22pm

Perhaps the roles of Andy's friends have been changed from Lily and Kara to Lauren and Kayla?

schubox
#55THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 6/16/22 at 1:54pm

I have tickets to this on July 22, as I coincidentally am going to be in Chicago that week, I’ll be happy to report back. I’m not much of a review writer but I’ll do my best. 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#57THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/1/22 at 7:36pm

Dated sounding pop rock by the king of bland when it comes to scores. This should be cool, crisp, pop/dance, I mean it's set in the fashion world. This sounds like The First Wives Club/Kinky Boots.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Updated On: 7/2/22 at 07:36 PM

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#58THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/1/22 at 10:47pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "First Listen: Dress Your Way Up performed by Elton John

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CffFWy-AmOG/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
"

Yeesh. Let’s hope they’re saving the good stuff for the show.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#59THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/2/22 at 6:09am

Well, I love it. I think it's very fun and catchy. I'm getting "My Strongest Suit" vibes.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#60THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/2/22 at 6:16am

Sounds nothing like strongest suit

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#61THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/2/22 at 7:47am

WldKingdomHM said: "Sounds nothing like strongest suit"

Cool.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

inception Profile Photo
inception
#62THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/2/22 at 10:14am

Elton is best when he works with a strong lyricist. That is admittedly only a snippet of a song, but I would have thought they would want to leak something stronger.  That is pretty generic.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#63THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/2/22 at 10:27am

I agree that this is beyond generic.  I also agree it sounds very KINKY BOOTS-ish.  Would love to hear a more traditional score than a generic-soccer mom-contemporary score.  I’m hoping the best for this adaptation but I feel we’re getting another generic and uninventive PRETTY WOMAN/MRS. DOUBTFIRE/GHOST/ROCKY level production.  

DaveyG
#64THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/2/22 at 11:45am

It’s no secret that Elton John devotes a few weeks cranking out tunes for his stage musicals and then leaves it to music directors, arrangers and orchestrators to clean up the mess. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#65THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/2/22 at 3:34pm

DaveyG said: "It’s no secret that Elton John devotes a few weeks cranking out tunes for his stage musicals and then leaves it to music directors, arrangers and orchestrators to clean up the mess."

I wouldn't be shocked if Shaina Taub is greatly involved in shaping these songs, too, beyond the lyrics ––  ghostwriting some of the material. This is Elton's first time working with a lyricist who is also a composer, and her first major project as just the lyricist. I love Elton John's older work and think he has written some great songs for the theatre. But this feels so much like a work-for-hire job for him.

Beyond the score, Anna Shapiro has never directed a musical of this scale (has she directed ANY musicals?), and Kate Wetherhead has never written the book to a Broadway musical, and Paul Rudnick is gone from the project. Maybe there's enough good songs and a strong book & direction to sustain this, but I just don't know.

Very intrigued to see the buzz out of Chicago. Is our friend who dutifully attended all those previews of Paradise Square and Tootsie going to be doing the same for this?!

Updated On: 7/2/22 at 03:34 PM

StylishCynic
#66THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/11/22 at 5:23pm

Are there any discount codes that have been released? 

I received an offer email via Goldstar today but always prefer to book directly with the theatre if I can secure the same price.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#67THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/11/22 at 7:02pm

DaveyG said: "It’s no secret that Elton John devotes a few weeks cranking out tunes for his stage musicals and then leaves it to music directors, arrangers and orchestrators to clean up the mess."

The same can be said for a number of high profile celebrity composers- Tony winners Cyndi Lauper and Mel Brooks included. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#69THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/13/22 at 11:21am

jacobsnchz14 said: "https://people.com/movies/the-devil-wears-prada-musical-elton-john-songs-sneak-peek-exclusive/"

Alright, I'm becoming continually apprehensive about this score. Excited to hear the reactions out of Chicago next week!

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#70THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/13/22 at 12:42pm

The music sounds so bland and generic, another Kinky Boots, Pretty Woman style score. For hin to refer to the music as modern is hilarious. This will be generic as hell.

It's set in fashion in New York, give me You Are What You Wear style from American Psycho, give me cool, chic, dance style music in the vein of the film using cool songs like Vogue. 

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Owen22
#71THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/13/22 at 12:51pm

everythingtaboo said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "everythingtaboo said: "Who's "Lauren" in the movie? Doesn't ring a bell."

There is no character in the film named Lauren.
"

That's what I thought. So weird that Emily (as a character) doesn't get a better billing aside from alphabetical after this new character.

That aside, I'm excited for Kate Wetherhead's book.
"

The role of Lauren is being played by non-binary actor Christiana Cole, which might give a hint to a possibly new character for the show?

mlledir
#72THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/13/22 at 12:58pm

Given that the book was written by LAUREN Weisberger, my guess is that the character could be related to that fact...?

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#73THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/13/22 at 1:07pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: " ... Very intrigued to see the buzz out of Chicago.Is our friend who dutifully attended all those previews of Paradise Square and Tootsie going to be doing the same for this?!"

Hello ESS: I’ve bitten the bullet and bought tIx for the first 4 performances.

Tuesday, July 19

Wednesday, July 20

Friday, July 22

Saturday matinee, July 23

There is no performance on Thursday, July 21.

it will be good to hear what other Chicagoland posters say as well: KJisgroovy, Menken Fan, call_me_jorge, markypoo, Marlothom, AlexKulak2, and others.

IHeartNY2
#74THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/13/22 at 8:07pm

songanddanceman2 said: "The music sounds so bland and generic, another Kinky Boots, Pretty Woman style score. For hin to refer to the music as modern is hilarious. This will be generic as hell.

It's set in fashion in New York, give me You Are What You Wear style from American Psycho, give me cool, chic, dance style music in the vein of the film using cool songs like Vogue.

"

A shame...Vogue would have made for a killer opening number!

Videos