pixeltracker

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical - News & Discussion Thread- Page 4

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical - News & Discussion Thread

JeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
#75THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/14/22 at 4:35pm

I'll be going on Wednesday, July 20th as well. I enjoyed the film a great deal, but I have a hard time seeing how this is going to translate well into a modern musical. But who knows - maybe it will surprise me? 

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#76THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/14/22 at 5:17pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "https://people.com/movies/the-devil-wears-prada-musical-elton-john-songs-sneak-peek-exclusive/"

Why is a song called “The Devil Wears Prada” written for a musical in 2022 an 80s pastiche in the style of an uptempo power ballad? The more they tease of this score, the less I want to see the show.

The fact that he said it’s “modern” made me actually laugh out loud. Also, everything he said about writing the music was as generic as the music itself. Elton, maybe it’s time to put the top down on the piano and call it a day.

kwoc91
#77THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/14/22 at 5:33pm

I guess we'll see what happens in a few days when the Chicago run starts but this music sounds awful.

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#78THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/14/22 at 5:36pm

I was expecting a Pretty Woman-level score (blah), but this sounds "better to me".   I imagine it will sound better belted by the actual actors.  I will be there Tuesday, and will report back! 

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#79THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/15/22 at 11:55am

The show has announced a $25 digital lottery. Enter the day ahead of a performance by 5PM. Seats vary per performance.

A limited number of rush tickets will also be available at the box office, day of show, $49, limit two.

The first two performances on Tuesday, July 19 and Wednesday, July 20 are selling very well - both are near capacity.

Updated On: 7/15/22 at 11:55 AM

Fosse76
#80THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/15/22 at 1:59pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "It is a fundraiser for The Met so everyone invited must pay for their ticket."

It's a fundraiser for the Met's Fashion Institute only, which is chaired by Wintour. No other departments receive a dime from this fundraiser. 

MagicFoot
#81THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/17/22 at 4:49pm

I’m seeing Invited Dress tonight - cannot wait!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#82THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/17/22 at 8:24pm

The Devil Wears Prada' takes stage in The Loop next week

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/video/the-devil-wears-prada-takes-stage-in-the-loop-next-week/#x

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#83THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/17/22 at 8:35pm

How Elton John plans to make ‘The Devil Wears Prada’ fit this fashion moment — the new musical opens in Chicago

https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/theater/chris-jones/ct-ent-devil-wears-prada-musical-chicago-broadway-20220712-aabmt764grbpjcy5o73iqbdosq-story.html

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

starlightlocamotion
#84THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/18/22 at 12:55am

Any buzz post invited dress?? How’s this shaping up? 

MagicFoot
#85THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/18/22 at 3:32am

Okay so like I said I saw it tonight for invited dress and it was … FANTASTIC. They said it was a “rehearsal”, which I have heard at other invited dress performances but it is in super good shape. I know it will also only get better.

First, TAYLOR IMAN JONES IS A STAR. This performance solidifies her position as a Broadway lead.

Beth Leavel is also fantastic and gives such a different Miranda than Meryl, which is good. She has a knockout 11oclock number.

The music and lyrics are SO fun and catchy. The vibe of the show reminds of me of Mean Girls meets American Psycho? But the taste level is SO HIGH. From what I could see, multiple custom looks from fashion brands. Clearly this show has an insane budget.

Multiple costumes, scenic reveals, and line readings got applause. I was really excited about the design - super unexpected. They did a great job modernizing it.

Okay that’s all I want to say for now because I want to see it again when it has a few more runs under its belt. But for anyone worried by the press footage that came out, don’t be. This is GREAT and will be coming to Broadway this season I bet.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#87THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/18/22 at 2:50pm

Thank you for the report! Excited to read more after tonight!

BwayStarlette
#88THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/18/22 at 3:51pm

MagicFoot said: "Okay so like I said I saw it tonight for invited dress and it was … FANTASTIC. They said it was a “rehearsal”, which I have heard at other invited dress performances but it is in super good shape. I know it will also only get better.

First, TAYLOR IMAN JONES IS A STAR. This performance solidifies her position as a Broadway lead.

Beth Leavel is also fantastic and gives such a different Miranda than Meryl, which is good. She has a knockout 11oclock number.

The music and lyrics are SO fun and catchy. The vibe of the show reminds of me of Mean Girls meets American Psycho? But the taste level is SO HIGH. From what I could see, multiple custom looks from fashion brands. Clearly this show has an insane budget.

Multiple costumes, scenic reveals, and line readings got applause. I was really excited about the design - super unexpected. They did a great job modernizing it.

Okay that’s all I want to say for now because I want to see it again when it has a few more runs under its belt. But for anyone worried by the press footage that came out, don’t be. This is GREAT and will be coming to Broadway this season I bet.
"

I was so excited to read a great review but then noticed the poster joined yesterday. It would be nice if it wasn't so obvious that the rave was constructed from within. Still, I'm in Chicago and I'm going to check it out for myself!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#89THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/18/22 at 4:08pm

BwayStarlette said: "I was so excited to read a great review but then noticed the poster joined yesterday. It would be nice if it wasn't so obvious that the rave was constructed from within. Still, I'm in Chicago and I'm going to check it out for myself!"

New people are allowed to join and share their thoughts... I thought it was a very well written writeup. Could they be associated with the show in some capacity? Sure, but we don't always need to jump to conclusions.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

DaveyG
#90THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/18/22 at 6:37pm

BwayStarlette said: 

“I was so excited to read a great review but then noticed the poster joined yesterday. It would be nice if it wasn't so obvious that the rave was constructed from within. Still, I'm in Chicago and I'm going to check it out for myself!
"

And they’ve only written two posts: both about Devil Wears Prada lol…feels a little shilly in here. We’ll know the real deal soon! 

Updated On: 7/18/22 at 06:37 PM

hearthemsing22
#91THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/18/22 at 6:40pm

…seriously??judging people on their reviews based on when they joined?? 

pathetic. Wow. 

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#92THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/18/22 at 6:43pm

bwayphreak234 said: "BwayStarlette said: "I was so excited to read a great review but then noticed the poster joined yesterday. It would be nice if it wasn't so obvious that the rave was constructed from within. Still, I'm in Chicago and I'm going to check it out for myself!"

New people are allowed to join and share their thoughts... I thought it was a very well written writeup. Could they be associated with the show in some capacity? Sure, but we don't always need to jump to conclusions.
"

It is so obviously a total shill. Why would you defend something like this? 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#93THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/18/22 at 7:25pm

It’s definitely a shill review.  Show PRs pay a small team to post these on theater sites and message boards.  I had a friend who use to do this every so often.  Sometimes it was to single out a certain performer to help garner buzz for them.  This has been going on for decades, especially in the music industry with new artists getting airplay on radio stations.  

bwaydreamer
#94THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/18/22 at 7:50pm

Also, I love how they think saying Mean Girls and American Psycho are good scores to compare it to.  Two of the most forgettable and at times downright bad modern scores.  This "review" actually turned me off more.  Though I have seen Taylor Iman Jones in other things and will agree she's extremely talented. 

JasonC3
#95THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/18/22 at 8:42pm

If that was shill review intended to drum up a lot of enthusiasm, I hope they aren't being paid much.

Updated On: 7/18/22 at 08:42 PM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#96THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/18/22 at 8:55pm

bwaydreamer said: "Also, I love how they think saying Mean Girls and American Psycho are good scores to compare it to. Two of the most forgettable and at times downright bad modern scores. This "review" actually turned me off more. Though I have seen Taylor Iman Jones in other things and will agree she's extremely talented."

Don't agree at all. American Psycho had a superb score.

And yes, the poster is clearly a Shill.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

ShowBro Profile Photo
ShowBro
#97THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/18/22 at 10:40pm

MagicFoot said: "The music and lyrics are SO fun and catchy. The vibe of the show reminds of me of Mean Girls meets American Psycho? But the taste level is SO HIGH. 

Okay so like you totally lost me at Mean Girls, babes! SO NOT FETCH!!

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#98THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/19/22 at 9:20am

songanddanceman2 said: "Don't agree at all. American Psycho had a superb score."

Not a perfect show, but I loved it and really wish I could've seen it a second time before it closed.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Three's Company
#99THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Musical (Chicago Pre-Broadway) - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 7/19/22 at 12:03pm

lol, I literally made an account just to add my two cents but now I'm worried I'll be clocked as a shill too!

Either way, if this poster was invited to final dress they clearly have some connection, obviously they're going into it with a positive POV. To say they're being paid feels a little conspiratorial to me. People do actually talk like that– it seems like some folks on this thread really want to not like this show. I'm optimistic and I hope it's camp. I'm eagerly awaiting the reports of y'all in Chicago

Updated On: 7/19/22 at 12:03 PM