pixeltracker

Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY

Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY
Posted: 6/2/22 at 9:42am

June 21 - August 7

Also, Sharone Sayegh will join the B’way company (direct from the tour) as Bonnie and others, June 21 - September 25

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Tony--Nominee-Jenn-Colella-To-Return-To-COME-FROM-AWAY-This-Summer-20220602

Oh look, a bibu!

Rainah
#2Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY
Posted: 6/2/22 at 10:40am

An... interesting attempt to stunt cast

RWPrincess
#3Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY
Posted: 6/2/22 at 10:51am

Glad that Rachel is still planning to return after Jenn's run but, I'm excited to see Jenn in this role again too. 

SharksVsJets
#4Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY
Posted: 6/2/22 at 10:53am

Hardly stunt casting, but I  hope it bumps up the box office.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#5Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY
Posted: 6/2/22 at 11:01am

I would have taken this as "she's joining to close out the run" but they also announced plans for after her departure. Many of us are thinking this doesn't survive past Labor Day, but...who knows!

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#6Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY
Posted: 6/2/22 at 11:08am

Does anyone know if Tucker is taking an absence due to a conflict on her end? Or are they temporarily giving her the boot for Colella (a la Great Comet)? 

If it’s the former – then that’s great, glad they’re being accommodating, and that they’re using it as an opportunity for people who might have missed Colella’s Tony-nominated performance. 

If it’s the latter, then that’s very stupid and disrespectful of them. When they do this for celebrity stunt casting, at least you can excuse it by saying that it’s out of a dire need to keep the production running, and keep everyone else employed. But Colella will have no meaningful effect at the box office – she is not famous outside of a very niche circle of theatre fans.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#7Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY
Posted: 6/2/22 at 11:11am

JBroadway said: "Does anyone know if Tucker is taking an absence due to a conflict on her end? Or are they temporarily giving her the boot for Colella (a la Great Comet)?"

Becky Gulsvig is currently playing the role.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#8Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY
Posted: 6/2/22 at 11:18am

oh sorry, my mistake - then I guess apply my same question to her...though I suppose it's more likely a regular contract expiration and replacement if it's not the same person returning after Colella's run. 

JSquared2
#9Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY
Posted: 6/2/22 at 11:24am

Rainah said: "An... interesting attempt to stunt cast"

How exactly is this an example of "stunt casting"?

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#10Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY
Posted: 6/2/22 at 11:26am

Gulsvig was always announced from April 26 to June 19. Tucker is filming a series.

I think you're trying to stir up conflict out of nothing, Cynthia Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY

Updated On: 6/2/22 at 11:26 AM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#11Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY
Posted: 6/2/22 at 11:41am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Gulsvig was always announced from April 26 to June 19. Tucker is filming a series.
I think you're trying to stir up conflict out of nothing, Cynthia
"

Hence, beginning my first post with a genuine question - thanks for answering it! :) 

stoptheworld38 Profile Photo
stoptheworld38
#12Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY
Posted: 6/2/22 at 12:08pm

I wouldn't call Jenn stunt casting, considering she's primarily known for Broadway and originated the role, but I do think there's a chance that it'll give ticket sales a boost, at least slightly.

In any case, I was gutted when she left in 2019 cause I desperately wanted to see the show with her but wasn't able to make it work. I have plans to be in the area in July, so hoping I can grab a ticket!

And yes, as mentioned, Rachel had pre-existing plans to be absent from the cast until June 19th. So it's looking like it's Becky until then, followed by Jenn for 6/21 - 8/7, and then Rachel returning after that.

you found your heart but left a part of you behind <3
Updated On: 6/2/22 at 12:08 PM

SharksVsJets
#13Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY
Posted: 6/2/22 at 2:10pm

To be fair to Rainah, I don't think they were seriously suggesting that this is stunt casting.

FYI: Petrina Bromley is out of the cast until late September because she's shooting season two of the Canadian sitcom Son of a Critch. It's sort of a Newfoundland Wonder Years or The Goldbergs - based on a memoir by Newfoundland comedian Mark Critch. Bromley plays a schoolteacher nun. 

JSquared2
#14Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY
Posted: 6/2/22 at 2:20pm

SharksVsJets said: "To be fair to Rainah, I don't think they were seriously suggesting that this is stunt casting.

Uhhmm...they literally wrote: "An... interesting attempt to stunt cast".  But sure, OK...whatever you say.

SharksVsJets
#15Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY
Posted: 6/2/22 at 2:34pm

Tone is everything smiley

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#16Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY
Posted: 6/2/22 at 2:56pm

Bringing back the originator of the role is not stunt casting.   And NO ONE outside of Broadway knows who she is....so not stunt casting, again.   I'm sure there are theater fans that will jump at the opportunity to see Colella again....but I doubt we'll truly notice a difference in the grosses.  

This was the little show that could....no one predicted this would become a hit.  They will close up with their heads held high. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 6/3/22 at 02:56 PM

joshdog2014
#17Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY
Posted: 6/2/22 at 4:48pm

JSquared2 said: "SharksVsJets said: "To be fair to Rainah, I don't think they were seriously suggesting that this is stunt casting.

Uhhmm...theyliterally wrote: "An... interesting attempt to stunt cast". But sure, OK...whatever you say.
"

I think the word “attempt” is the key here. It’s definitely a topic for discussion: people have been saying CFA is in trouble and may need to stunt cast and now instead they bring the OBC member back, which may bring some very small amount of ticket sales in but definitely nothing show saving. (If the posters in the grosses threads that see it ending soon are correct).

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#18Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY
Posted: 6/2/22 at 5:02pm

I feel like a tony nominated OBC member, in arguably the most recognizable role from the show, may just boost some sales! 

stoptheworld38 Profile Photo
stoptheworld38
#19Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY
Posted: 6/2/22 at 7:13pm

Luminaire2 said: "I feel like a tony nominated OBC member, in arguably the most recognizable role from the show, may just boost some sales!"

Agreed. Will it bring it back to pre-shutdown sold out audiences and making over a million a week? Almost certainly not. But I think it’s very likely to bring sales up, even if only a small amount, and any amount is helpful. 

you found your heart but left a part of you behind <3

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#20Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY
Posted: 6/2/22 at 11:57pm

stoptheworld38 said: "Luminaire2 said: "I feel like a tony nominated OBC member, in arguably the most recognizable role from the show, may just boost some sales!"

Agreed. Will it bring it back to pre-shutdown sold out audiences and making over a million a week? Almost certainly not. But I think it’s very likely to bring sales up, even if only a small amount, and any amount is helpful.
"

The ticket buyer for this show at this point in the run is not buying a ticket because a tony nominated OBC person has returned to the cast. Lets be honest here. 

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#21Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY
Posted: 6/3/22 at 12:02am

I'm not convinced this will make any dent in ticket sales at all BUT anyone who sees the show in that timeframe is in for a treat because Colella is just incredible in the role. If I had any space left in my summer trip, I would see it again just to hear her do Me and the Sky live one more time.

RWPrincess
#22Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY
Posted: 6/3/22 at 2:31pm

Jenn is also in the pro shot on AppleTV+ so they'd be smart to market that and advertise that people can now see her perform in person for a limited time only

Fosse76
#23Jenn Colella To Return To COME FROM AWAY
Posted: 6/3/22 at 3:07pm

RWPrincess said: "Jenn is also in the pro shot on AppleTV+ so they'd be smart to market that and advertise that people can now see her perform in person for a limited time only"

Most of the current cast is in the filmed performance on AppleTV+. As an ensemble show, the production is not going to promote any single cast member over the others in the marketing. You should've heard the groans at the Tony watch party when they announced "Jenn Colella and the cast of Come From Away." She isn't the "star" of the show.