pixeltracker

Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25- Page 11

Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#250Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25
Posted: 6/26/22 at 11:55am

As has been discussed ad nauseam, the "never miss a performance" mantra is toxic and outdated.

It would be one thing if Beanie was selling tickets to the masses in the Hugh Jackman or Billy Crystal sense, but she isn't. Missing a show for vocal/physical fatigue or an occasional mental-health day is as valid as missing a show for an injury sustained in or out of the workplace. As we know from Laura Benanti (Woods) and Donna Murphy (Wonderful Town) and Danny Burstein (Fiddler) and Gavin Creel (Dolly, Hair)'s absences and the toxic chatter surrounding those, we the audience will never fully know what an actor is going through in that moment. I just don't understand why the knives are out for this show and this actress at every moment.

Updated On: 6/26/22 at 11:55 AM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#251Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25
Posted: 6/26/22 at 12:23pm

Any idea if she is back today? We are seeing it and my daughter would love to see the understudy. Either way, we are looking forward to seeing the show.

Julie Benko is not on today Sunday June 26, 2022. 

UncleCharlie
#252Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25
Posted: 6/26/22 at 3:09pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "Yeah, i'm quite familiar with the halacha of judaism being passed via maternal line, and i'm not sure what that has to do with anything, unless you are saying (i) i disagree with the way jews define who is a jew, AND (ii) i reject the way science determines jewish ethnicity, and (iii) insist instead on my own "best" definition which is "do you practice judaism in some form"

in other words, youre simply declaring there is no ethnic/genetic component to it even as you share articles which confirm that there 100% is. are you suggesting the way DNA demonstrates my Jewish heritage is different than the way it identifies my Greek heritage or my African heritage? are those "groupings" somehow more significant? its a very modern form of bigotry (internalized by jewish people) to deny that non-practicing jews arent really jewish bc judaism is only a religion-- ie, an aetheist Jew is...what? how dare you? and to do this in the face of science is real chutzpah.

cast whoever you want in whatever you want. believe/practice however you want. but to wipe away the ethnic component (by sharing articles about the creepiness of "testing for jewish blood"--which has nothing to do with this conversation)... just ignorance on top of ignorance.

"I think the best definition of what a Jew is not what rabbis or scientists say, i know better!" would be pretty much the most ridiculous thing ive read here today but then, of course, theres the ongoing assault on Beanie to contend with, led by someone who apparently doesnt know who Myles Frost is as she rails on about Beanie across the street.
"

I tried to explain it in relation to the role in Funny Girl which was the whole point of the discussion in the first place so even someone wrapped in ignorance and filled with arrogance could understand it. But you know what you know and that seems to be the end of it for you. Save your faux outrage dude. I'm not impressed. You seem to need to play the provocateur and not just in relation to my comment. So go have your fun.

SFFrontRow
#254Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25
Posted: 6/26/22 at 3:37pm

TaffyDavenport said: "It's Pride weekend, so I'm sure there will be some disappointed gays there, but hopefully they'll give Julie a chance."

If they know anything, they have heard that Julie Benko is killing it in this role - I saw her early on in Beanie's COVID outage and she was really special (and an intermission consensus among the people sitting around me as well).

Sorry to stereotype (and I am gay) but any theater gay would have already found out that Benko's performance is worth seeing. I was not all that enthused to see Funny Girl as my last show of my Spring visit - then I heard she was out and Benko was in - then I saw postings about how awesome she was in the role. I went into the theater excited to see a breakout performance by Benko and I was not disappointed.

I don't mean to denigrate the performance of Beanie that I have not seen, but I wish Benko could take over the role now and build her reputation. I would say that if she had originated the role, she would have been Tony nominated and a solid bet to take home the Tony for killing a role known to be owned by Streisand.

I have no idea how well Beanie does in the role, but yeah, I thought Benko was THAT good.

PipingHotPiccolo
#255Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25
Posted: 6/26/22 at 4:42pm

UncleCharlie said: "

I tried to explain it in relation to the role in Funny Girl which was the whole point of the discussion in the first place so even someone wrapped in ignorance and filled with arrogance could understand it. But you know what you know and that seems to be the end of it for you. Save your faux outrage dude. I'm not impressed. You seem to need to play the provocateur and not just in relation to my comment. So go have your fun."

Im happy to (unintentionally) play the role of provocateur if my honest comments do that, but lets just recap: i said something, to which you responded all arrogant and hostile that "you'll sit and wait for me to explain!" as if I said something wildly incorrect when, well, I didnt and, in fact, you did. so if this is an example of me being provocative (by reminding people that Judaism has an ethnic, genetic component to it, but AGREEING that I think anyone of any ethnicity should play this role), then yeah, i guess im guilty.

and please dont confuse my exasperation with outrage, which exasperation is most certainly not faux.

now, let the hounds continue to snipe at Beanie Feldstein who committed the great crime of being mediocre/OK in a role on Bway, something thats never happened before and, thanks to the many musical warriors here, will sure never happen again. When we last left our gang of detectives, someone had half heartedly suggested she was attending a Pride event, which then turned into an actual suggestion that she called out to go to a Pride party. What will she (fictitiously) do next?

UncleCharlie
#256Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25
Posted: 6/26/22 at 6:12pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "and please dont confuse my exasperation with outrage, which exasperation is most certainly not faux."

So... "its a very modern form of bigotry (internalized by jewish people) to deny that non-practicing jews arent really jewish bc judaism is only a religion-- ie, an aetheist Jew is...what? how dare you? and to do this in the face of science is real chutzpah." was exasperation, not outrage? Yes, "How dare you" is never a form of outrage. Thanks for clarifying. 

Got anything else? I'm actually finding you rather entertaining.

PipingHotPiccolo
#257Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25
Posted: 6/26/22 at 6:43pm

yes that was exasperation at the ease with which people can internalize external bigotry, and spit it back out as some "modern 2022" explanation. that wasn't outrage because it sadly isnt surprising. happy to further entertain if you have any other questions.

pippy1
#258Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25
Posted: 6/26/22 at 7:55pm

So just back from seeing the show. I will never denigrate any actor because I could never do what they do - I literally couldn’t even walk across a Broadway stage well, most likely - so I will withhold comment on Beanie’s performance other than to say she has a definitely charm and the audience loved her.  My real issue is with the show itself - not even this production. It’s just not a great show - I wasn’t bored exactly, but I also felt like it dragged. The characters and story felt thin to me. There were some standout moments - most notably the tap dancing sequences. And Ramin is fantastic, although even his character, Nick, seemed thin and not flushed out, even though we knew his vices. But, like I said, the audience went crazy for Beanie and she looked happy, so if they were happy and she was happy, I am glad and perhaps I am just too tough.

PipingHotPiccolo
#259Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25
Posted: 6/26/22 at 9:02pm

pippy1 said: "So just back from seeing the show. I will never denigrate any actor because I could never do what they do - I literally couldn’t even walk across a Broadway stage well, most likely - so I will withhold comment on Beanie’s performance other than to say she has a definitely charm and the audience loved her. My real issue is with the show itself - not even this production. It’s just not a great show - I wasn’t bored exactly, but I also felt like it dragged. The characters and story felt thin to me. There were some standout moments - most notably the tap dancing sequences. And Ramin is fantastic, although even his character, Nick, seemed thin and not flushed out, even though we knew his vices. But, like I said, the audience went crazy for Beanie and she looked happy, so if they were happy and she was happy, I am glad and perhaps I am just too tough."

My experience exactly, fwiw. Its an old creaky show with a book that doesnt make a ton of sense narratively/dramatically. CERTAINLY in 2022 its a stale story-- or, if it isnt, this production sure made it feel that way. Michael Mayer did it no favors, and he certainly did Beanie no favors, but I find it hard to believe Benko or Lea Michele or whoever would be able to fix this show; which was the consensus among the critics back when it opened. Glad to hear the crowds are still going wild for Beanie, they were in April. 

alovingfan Profile Photo
alovingfan
#260Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25
Posted: 6/26/22 at 9:45pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "pippy1 said: "So just back from seeing the show. I will never denigrate any actor because I could never do what they do - I literally couldn’t even walk across a Broadway stage well, most likely - so I will withhold comment on Beanie’s performance other than to say she has a definitely charm and the audience loved her. My real issue is with the show itself - not even this production. It’s just not a great show - I wasn’t bored exactly, but I also felt like it dragged. The characters and story felt thin to me. There were some standout moments - most notably the tap dancing sequences. And Ramin is fantastic, although even his character, Nick, seemed thin and not flushed out, even though we knew his vices. But, like I said, the audience went crazy for Beanie and she looked happy, so if they were happy and she was happy, I am glad and perhaps I am just too tough."

My experience exactly, fwiw. Its an old creaky show with a book that doesnt make a ton of sense narratively/dramatically. CERTAINLY in 2022 its a stale story-- or, if it isnt, this production sure made it feel that way. Michael Mayer did it no favors, and he certainly did Beanie no favors, but I find it hard to believe Benko or Lea Michele or whoever would be able to fix this show; which was the consensus among the critics back when it opened. Glad to hear the crowds are still going wild for Beanie, they were in April.
"

I don't think anyone really said they could fix the show.  But they can sing it.  Beanie can't.  The role and the songs require a bigger voice and presence.  This deserved the critical bashing it got.   It is broadway.  We shouldn't settle.  

PipingHotPiccolo
#261Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25
Posted: 6/26/22 at 11:43pm

you're talking past me. the reviews trashed the show well more than they trashed Beanie, who they said was charming, lovely, passable, etc. I get the theater queens are disappointed in her singing (which isnt wildly impressive) but the critics were much harsher on the show/production than on Beanie. Was my point.

but by all means, carry on, carry on, dont want to get in the way.

SouthernCakes
#262Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25
Posted: 6/26/22 at 11:55pm

I’d be curious to see the show with Beanie because I was enamored with the Funny Girl movie and the sequel. Maybe that’s just Barbara’s charm but I never felt it was too thin. 

alovingfan Profile Photo
alovingfan
#263Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25
Posted: 6/27/22 at 12:58am

PipingHotPiccolo said: "you're talking past me. the reviews trashed the show well more than they trashed Beanie, who they said was charming, lovely, passable, etc. I get the theater queens are disappointed in her singing (which isnt wildly impressive) but the critics were much harsher on the show/production than on Beanie. Was my point.

"

No.  They trashed her.  Some were kind to her.  But her performance was trashed.  

pippy1
#264Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25
Posted: 6/27/22 at 6:26am

I agree, they weren’t kind to her. We got our tickets prior to the show’s opening, mostly because my two teens wanted to see Beanie. My husband and I didn’t have much desire because this show was written for Streisand and without her, not sure it’s really a standout show (which we confirmed yesterday). My older daughter had decided weeks ago she’d rather see Julie after hearing how great she was - and we all agreed it would have been interesting to see if we enjoyed it more. With that being said, I still say Beanie was charming and seemed to be having fun. It’s hard not to want to root for her and I think she’d be great in a straight comedy play.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#265Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25
Posted: 6/27/22 at 12:04pm

No.  They trashed her.  Some were kind to her.  But her performance was trashed. 

Correct. Anyone who read even five reviews would know that. 

Updated On: 6/27/22 at 12:04 PM

BWAY Baby2
#266Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25
Posted: 6/27/22 at 2:03pm

Let's face it- the show was My Name Is Barbra- before the television special a while later. It has some great music to showcase her singing abilities- some comic moments- some romantic moments- and was an introduction to a full-fledged superstar who was to become an iconic singer. No one can really do this show- any more than a remake of the Funny Girl movie could be remade. Unlike most shows- where another star could play the role- no one can duplicate the charisma and talent of Barbra in this particular role.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#267Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25
Posted: 6/27/22 at 2:17pm

The CBS TV Special MY NAME IS BARBRA aired a year into her 2 year run in FUNNY GIRL.  She sang a medley of her FUNNY GIRL songs on it, which included THE MUSIC THAT MAKES ME DANCE.  This helped the show even further though Barbra was already a Tony and Emmy Award nominee with 2 hit albums and countless national TV exposure from talk shows to variety shows.  She was a major personality when FUNNY GIRL opened on Broadway.  With or without FUNNY GIRL, her career was already on a major trajectory.  

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#268Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25
Posted: 6/27/22 at 2:19pm

BWAY Baby2 said: "Let's face it- the show was My Name Is Barbra- before the television special a while later. It has some great music to showcase her singing abilities- some comic moments- some romantic moments- and was an introduction to a full-fledged superstar who was to become an iconic singer. No one can really do this show- any more than a remake of the Funny Girl movie could be remade. Unlike most shows- where another star could play the role- no one can duplicate the charisma and talent of Barbra in this particular role."

That is kind of a false narrative that has been used to defend this performance..   I could think of a bunch of other ladies that could have delivered and given Brice the fire it needs.  Just look at youtube and see different performances from all over the world.  Just look at Babs replacement Mimi Hines.    Just look at Juile Benko.    And the show itself could have been given a a book facelift.  I thought Harveys work was typically bad and lazy. 

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#269Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25
Posted: 6/27/22 at 2:29pm

Yeah, it's so sad. Justifying a bad performance on Broadway? Nah. Our standards are high since it's the best theater district in America. As it should be. 

Looking forward to a new Fanny blowing the roof off that theater! 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#270Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25
Posted: 6/27/22 at 2:56pm

Sutton Ross said: "Yeah, it's so sad. Justifying a bad performance on Broadway? Nah. Our standards are high since it's the best theater district in America. As it should be.

"

I agree. Patrons are paying top dollar and deserve exceptional talent, not someone giving it go. This is  Broadway. There’s plenty of top tier talent that could have delivered the whole package CONSISTENTLY. I think people aren’t letting this go because they are sending a clear message to producers to not try this again  

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#271Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25
Posted: 6/27/22 at 2:59pm

Does anyone know if there any rumblings within the cast on if this production will receive a cast recording? I saw in another thread somebody said there were definitive plans to do so... any updates?

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

verywellthensigh
#272Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25
Posted: 6/27/22 at 3:08pm

I think people aren’t letting this go because they are sending a clear message to producers to not try this again.

I don't disagree, but I was under the impression that the show is doing inexplicably well?

felixleiter
#273Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25
Posted: 6/27/22 at 3:28pm

CindersGolightly said: "Does anyone know if there any rumblings within the cast on if this production will receive a cast recording? I saw in another thread somebody said there were definitive plans to do so... any updates?"

There were plans to record the show  prior to the Tony's but as of then (the last time I spoke with my friends in the show) those plans were on indefinite hold.   The feeling  among the cast was that it probably wasn't going to happen.

ItsMeRaul Profile Photo
ItsMeRaul
#274Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25
Posted: 6/27/22 at 3:37pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "you're talking past me. the reviews trashed the show well more than they trashed Beanie, who they said was charming, lovely, passable, etc. I get the theater queens are disappointed in her singing (which isnt wildly impressive) but the critics were much harsher on the show/production than on Beanie. Was my point.

"

As you said on page one: "good god, people are living on their own planet." You really are living in your own alternate reality.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#275Beanie’s Last Performance 9/25
Posted: 6/27/22 at 3:51pm

Sutton Ross said: "Yeah, it's so sad. Justifying a bad performance on Broadway? Nah. Our standards are high since it's the best theater district in America. As it should be.

"

This would only make sense if many of the people bashing Beanie didn't turn around and salivate over Pamela Anderson in Chicago.