pixeltracker

Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?- Page 11

Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?

ElephantLoveMedley
#250Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/5/22 at 7:49pm

Ke3 said: "does the Lunt have an elevator to the mez?"

No, it does not.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#251Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/5/22 at 8:01pm

I guess I'll wait to see what the rush/lotto is since it's looking like $200+ tickets.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#252Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/5/22 at 8:12pm

Now I'm wondering about 2/26 as the first preview date, because I just noticed it's a Sunday matinee, which would be very unusual. Historically, any other day of the week would make more sense.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#253Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/5/22 at 8:36pm

That's a long rehearsal process... I heard they start rehearsals early December. But I guess holidays could be 2 weeks cut out of it.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#254Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/5/22 at 8:45pm

BJR said: "That's a long rehearsal process... I heard they start rehearsals early December. But I guess holidays could be 2 weeks cut out of it."

Could just have the leads for two weeks in December, have a break for the holidays, then full cast rehearsal begins January 2.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BETTY22
#255Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/5/22 at 8:55pm

Wouldn't it be great if Josh could make the cast album a hit.

His last CD didn't sell great.....but fingers crossed. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#256Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/5/22 at 9:34pm

Ke3 said: "does the Lunt have an elevator to the mez? I usually see shows with a family member who has chronic leg pain. We tend to sit in the orchestra for most shows since mezzanine accessibility can be a pain at most houses. If the front mez is the best seating though we'd probably want to be up there."

Here's info on the L-F https://broadwaydirect.com/theatre/lunt-fontanne-theatre/#section-seating-chart

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#257Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/5/22 at 9:57pm

BETTY22 said: "Wouldn't it be great if Josh could make the cast album a hit.

His last CD didn't sell great.....but fingers crossed.
"

This cast album will slap. I just hope it’s a complete recording and not another highlights album.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#258Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/5/22 at 10:14pm

I'm excited about Steven Hoggett as choreographer (not that this is a particularly heavy dance show).

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#259Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/5/22 at 10:58pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I'm excited about Steven Hoggett as choreographer (not that this is a particularly heavy dance show)."

Is Kail using his design team from Hamilton  - with sets by David Korins, costumes by Paul Tazewell, lighting by Howell Binkley and sound by Nevin Steinberg

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#260Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/5/22 at 11:07pm

Robbie2 said: "Is Kail using his design team from Hamilton -with sets byDavid Korins, costumes byPaul Tazewell, lighting byHowell Binkleyand sound by Nevin Steinberg"

It's definitely POSSIBLE, but I don't see any reason to assume that's the case. He's worked with other designers, both before Hamilton and after Hamilton.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#261Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/5/22 at 11:22pm

Robbie2 said: "Is Kail using his design team from Hamilton -with sets byDavid Korins, costumes byPaul Tazewell, lighting byHowell Binkleyand sound by Nevin Steinberg"

Howell Binkley is, very sadly, deceased. Remains to be seen who he will use as a design team, but I believe he's worked with all those people on other shows beyond Hamilton. It's up to him and Seller to fill out the team.

Would be nice to have at least one woman and/or person of color...

Updated On: 9/5/22 at 11:22 PM

brdwybound04
#262Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/5/22 at 11:51pm

https://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/sweeney-todd-headed-back-to-broadway-with-josh-gro_94249.html?fbclid=IwAR201dJ6R8JzDfGnJLAE58EwFzshx5FybDkvAxZbBaM4ANclJnFHKKCiqqE

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#263Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/6/22 at 1:25am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Robbie2 said: "Is Kail using his design team from Hamilton -with sets byDavid Korins, costumes byPaul Tazewell, lighting byHowell Binkleyand sound by Nevin Steinberg"

Howell Binkley is, very sadly, deceased. Remains to be seen who he will use as a design team, but I believe he's worked with all those people on other shows beyond Hamilton. It's up to him and Seller to fill out the team.

Would be nice to have at least one woman and/or person of color...
"

Maybe you did not intend to connect that last comment to the enumerated Hamilton design team members but there is "at least one woman and/or person of color" in that group...

willep
#264Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/6/22 at 6:35am

One person of color and no women. We love a bare minimum.

But I agree, hope we see some diversity onstage and off in the further announcements.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#266Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/6/22 at 8:20am

ljay889 said: "https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/06/theater/josh-groban-sweeney-todd-broadway.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

it’s official. The best news is that Sondheim was involved in the planning of this.
"

Also, Mimi Lien designing the set. Brilliant.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#268Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/6/22 at 8:52am

That’s a great design team.

Tony winner Alex Lacamoire will serve as Music Supervisor, and Olivier Award winner Steven Hoggett choreographs with set design by Tony Award winner Mimi Lien, costume design by Tony Award nominee Emilio Sosa, lighting design by seven-time Tony Award winner Natasha Katz and sound design by Tony Award winner Nevin Steinberg. Casting is by The Telsey Office. Baseline Theatrical serves as General Manager.

Jarethan
#269Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/6/22 at 9:06am

Wish I had an American Express card.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#270Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/6/22 at 9:08am

May not be for a while, but I'm really intrigued by additional casting. Don't care for Ashford in this, but the 26-piece orchestra should make up for it.

JasonC3
#272Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/6/22 at 9:35am

From the NYT article:

“We’re really excited to make something that is able to touch all of those things that ‘Sweeney’ can do,” Kail said. “It can thrill you, it can make you laugh, and there’s also epiphany.”

Hear hear!

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#273Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/6/22 at 9:40am

Oh, Mimi Lien is going to spend ALL the money on this production and I can not wait!!!!

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#274Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/6/22 at 9:44am

This is gonna be MAJOR! yes