pixeltracker

2023-2024 Broadway Season- Page 4

2023-2024 Broadway Season

inception Profile Photo
inception
#752023-2024 Broadway Season
Posted: 6/14/23 at 6:24pm

I'm guessing that doing the play is cheaper than reviving the musical version.  I know some people don't like him, but I'd rather see Odom in the musical version.

Fordham2015
#762023-2024 Broadway Season
Posted: 6/14/23 at 6:42pm

Broadway Journal says Cabaret is transferring in time for next year's Tonys. Redmayne is involved but not Buckley.  

Ambassador Theatre Group and Underbelly Productions plan to transfer their hit West End revival of Cabaret  to Broadway, two people familiar with the production said.

Eddie Redmayne has committed to reprise his performance as the louche Weimar-era nightclub emcee — a role made famous by Joel Grey in the 1966 Hal Prince-directed musical and in the 1972 Bob Fosse-helmed movie, and more recently by Alan Cumming in two Roundabout Theatre Co. revivals. Rebecca Frecknall is slated to direct the production, which is to begin previews in March 2024 ahead of an April opening.

Earlier this week, Redmayne saluted its composer, John Kander, and Grey by video at the Tony Awards. Reviewing the musical in the New York Times in December 2021, Matt Wolff called it “a nerve-shredding revival of Cabaret” that “pulls us into a hedonistic milieu, only to send us out nearly three hours later reminded of life’s horrors.” Set designer Tom Scutt has said that elements of his immersive Kit Kat Club should feel like a “dodgy Berlin rave.”

At the moment, Jujamcyn, the Broadway landlord that recently merged operations with U.K.-based ATG, has only one venue available: the August Wilson Theatre, where Funny Girl — produced by Sonia Friedman Productions, an ATG subsidiary — is scheduled to close on Sept. 3. Jujamcyn’s other theaters are supporting open-ended runs, including The Book of Mormon (the Eugene O’Neill Theatre) and Moulin Rouge! (the Al Hirschfeld). Likewise, ATG’s Lyric Theatre is home to the long-running Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. A revival of Merrily We Roll Along, also produced by Sonia Friedman, begins previews in September at ATG’s Hudson Theatre.

Broadway Journal hasn’t learned who’s playing Sally Bowles or whether the role has been cast. Jessie Buckley, who like Redmayne won an Olivier Award for her performance, isn’t involved in the transfer. Both stars were in the show for just four months.

Since Broadway reopened following the pandemic-induced shutdown, musical revivals have been relatively safe bets. This past season there were six, the most in more than a decade. Of the four that were commercially produced, Into the Woods was a sellout over the summer before dropping off in the fall. Parade has averaged solid sales of $1.1 million a week, and Sweeney Todd, a pricier production, has averaged $1.8 million. Funny Girl, a hit from last season thanks to the drawing power of Lea Michele, has returned 70 percent of its $15 million capitalization to investors and is on track to turn a profit.

One of the most commercially reliable titles in Broadway history, Cabaret  originally ran three years. The smash 1998 Sam Mendes and Rob Marshall revival ran six years. It was the Roundabout’s longest-running show and revived successfully in 2014, starring Cumming and, successively, Michelle Williams, Emma Stone and Sienna Miller. There was also a short-lived 1987 revival produced by Barry and Fran Weissler, directed by Prince and starring Grey.

To the argument that New York has had enough Cabaret: A revival of Chicago, arguably a lesser Kander & (Fred) Ebb musical, has run nonstop since 1996. And Joe Masteroff’s Cabaret book depicting rising Nazism arguably has greater relevance today, with antisemitism on the resurgence worldwide. Perhaps partly in recognition of that, Tom Stoppard’s Leopoldstadt and Jason Robert Brown and Alfred Uhry’s Parade won major awards at the Tonys on Sunday.

Redmayne, 41, took home a Tony in 2010 for his Broadway debut, playing an assistant to Mark Rothko in John Logan’s Red. Five years later, he won an Academy Award portraying the physicist Stephen Hawking in The Theory of Everything. He explained in a video promoting a new Cabaret cast recording that he performed the role of emcee at age 18 at the Edinburgh fringe festival, working with the two founders of Underbelly, Charlie Wood and Ed Bartlam, whose company presents shows and festivals around the world.

“About six, seven years ago, they came up to me, ‘Would you ever consider doing Cabaret again?” Redmayne says on the video. “It’s a part that has really stayed with me.”

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#772023-2024 Broadway Season
Posted: 6/14/23 at 6:50pm

inception said: "I'm guessing that doing the play is cheaper than reviving the musical version. I know some people don't like him, but I'd rather see Odom in the musical version."

Or the producers wanted to produce the play because it has its own merits.

This producer has been trying to get a revival off the ground for 20 years, since before Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee died.

jagman1062 Profile Photo
jagman1062
#782023-2024 Broadway Season
Posted: 6/14/23 at 9:07pm

TicketBoy said: "Purlie Victorious: A Non-Confederate Romp Through the Cotton Patchat the Music Box. Previews start September 7th. Opening is September 21st. Tickets on sale through February 4.

"Leslie Odom, Jr. returns to Broadway for the first time since his Tony Award-winning performance inHamilton.

Purlie Victorious: A Non-Confederate Romp Through the Cotton Patchis the rousing, laugh-filled comedy by Kennedy Center honoree Ossie Davis that tells the story of a Black preacher’s machinations to reclaim his inheritance and win back his church. Directed by Tony Award winner Kenny Leon (A Raisin in the Sun,Fences,Topdog/Underdog), this inspiring and delightful comedic masterpiece became the source material for the beloved hit musical,Purlie."
"

I haven't seen an official announcement but tickets are currently on sale on Telecharge.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#792023-2024 Broadway Season
Posted: 6/15/23 at 8:11am

Full press release is out now! 

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Tony-Award-WinnerLeslie-Odom-JrTo-Return-ToBroadway-InPURLIE-VICTORIOUSA-NON-CONFEDERATE-ROMP-THROUGH-THE-COTTON-PATCH-20230615 

"The complete cast includes: Vanessa Bell Calloway (Dreamgirls) as “Idella Landy”, Billy Eugene Jones(Fat Ham) as “Gitlow Judson”, Noah Pyzik (Addy & Uno) as “Deputy”, Noah  Robbins (To Kill a Mockingbird) as “Charlie Cotchipee”, Jay O. Sanders (Primary Trust) as “Ol’ Cap’n Cotchipee”, Heather Alicia Simms (Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike) as “Missy Judson”, Bill Timoney (Network) as  “Sheriff” and Tony Award nominee Kara Young (Cost of Living, Clyde’s) as “Lutiebelle Gussie Mae Jenkins”."

So, will Kara Young be 3-for-3 on Broadway roles and Tony noms? 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#802023-2024 Broadway Season
Posted: 6/15/23 at 9:03am

Did the Broadway in Bryant Park Announcement just accidentally confirm that How to Dance in Ohio is coming to Broadway?

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/KIMBERLY-AKIMBO-SHUCKED-SOME-LIKE-IT-HOT-and-More-Set-for-BROADWAY-IN-BRYANT-PARK-20230615 

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#812023-2024 Broadway Season
Posted: 6/15/23 at 10:35am

jkcohen626 said: "Did the Broadway in Bryant Park Announcement just accidentally confirm that How to Dance in Ohio is coming to Broadway?

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/KIMBERLY-AKIMBO-SHUCKED-SOME-LIKE-IT-HOT-and-More-Set-for-BROADWAY-IN-BRYANT-PARK-20230615
"

I was wondering the same, but sometimes new projects do open these things... Like Fowl Play last year

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

steve.sometime
#822023-2024 Broadway Season
Posted: 6/16/23 at 1:22am

https://2st.com/shows/season-45

Appropriate was announced for Hayes Theater in Nov 2023. 

jagman1062 Profile Photo
jagman1062
#832023-2024 Broadway Season
Posted: 6/16/23 at 1:27pm

steve.sometime said: "https://2st.com/shows/season-45

Appropriatewas announced for Hayes Theater in Nov 2023.
"

and a new Paula Vogel play, currently untitled is scheduled to follow it next winter.

RW3
#842023-2024 Broadway Season
Posted: 6/16/23 at 1:52pm

Out of curiosity, have there been any rumblings about A Little Life coming to Broadway? Will be in London this summer but unfortunately won't be able to see the show.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#852023-2024 Broadway Season
Posted: 6/22/23 at 9:08am

Gutenberg! The Musical!, starring Josh Gad and Andrew Rannells, will begin previews at the James Earl Jones Theatre on September 15, opening October 12.

gibsons2
#862023-2024 Broadway Season
Posted: 6/22/23 at 12:30pm

Any info on what will be the 3rd MTC show at the Friedman theater? Thinking on getting a subscription again, but not 100% sure 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#872023-2024 Broadway Season
Posted: 6/22/23 at 12:33pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Gutenberg! The Musical!, starring Josh Gad and Andrew Rannells, will begin previews at the James Earl Jones Theatre on September 15, opening October 12."

This will be a limited run, currently set to conclude on January 28.

Oh look, a bibu!

jagman1062 Profile Photo
jagman1062
#882023-2024 Broadway Season
Posted: 6/22/23 at 1:10pm

I see that the OP posted that Cabaret will start previews in March 2024 and open that April at a theater TBD. Has there been an official announcement that I may have missed?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#892023-2024 Broadway Season
Posted: 6/22/23 at 1:12pm

It was first reported by Broadway Journal, along with the confirmation that Redmayne would be making the transfer.

Oh look, a bibu!

chrishuyen
#902023-2024 Broadway Season
Posted: 6/22/23 at 1:15pm

I wouldn't call it an official announcement as such, though I do think it's most likely accurate.  It's framed more as insider knowledge so things could still change while they get all the pieces together.

Robbie516
#912023-2024 Broadway Season
Posted: 6/22/23 at 2:17pm

What does OP stand for? Asking for a friend lol

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#922023-2024 Broadway Season
Posted: 6/22/23 at 2:24pm

This upcoming season is absolute fire. 

amiyagi
#932023-2024 Broadway Season
Posted: 6/22/23 at 4:16pm

Robbie516 said: "What does OP stand for? Asking for a friend lol"

Original poster

Robbie516
#942023-2024 Broadway Season
Posted: 6/22/23 at 5:29pm

Anyone have the link to the OP?

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#952023-2024 Broadway Season
Posted: 6/22/23 at 5:38pm

Simply click on page 1 and go to the post marked #1.

stoptheworld38 Profile Photo
stoptheworld38
#962023-2024 Broadway Season
Posted: 6/23/23 at 12:42am

Any rumors on what’s going to the Schoenfeld after Life of Pi closes next month? 

you found your heart but left a part of you behind <3

hearthemsing22
#972023-2024 Broadway Season
Posted: 6/23/23 at 3:48pm

stoptheworld38 said: "Any rumors on what’s going to the Schoenfeld after Life of Pi closes next month?"

I don't know anything about that but love the username! 

jagman1062 Profile Photo
jagman1062
#982023-2024 Broadway Season
Posted: 6/23/23 at 4:17pm

Thanks to everyone who clarified the OPs inclusion of Cabaret in the original post. The mention of March and April threw me.

gibsons2
#992023-2024 Broadway Season
Posted: 7/6/23 at 1:48pm

Any word on LCT upcoming 2023-24 season? It seems all major subscription based houses have announced their lineups except Lincoln Center. Any rumors on that?

Videos