A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews
Posted: 11/7/22 at 12:00am

Bah, humbug.

Tomorrow night, Jefferson Mays returns to Broadway in a new one-man adaptation of A Christmas Carol. Mays plays over 50 characters throughout the course of the performance, including a potato. Originally written by Charles Dickens, this Christmas Carol is adapted by Mays, Susan Lyons, and Michael Arden, and directed by Arden. Opening night is set for November 21 at the Nederlander Theatre, and the limited engagement will conclude on January 1.

“Experience A Christmas Carol unlike any other — past, present, or future. The timeless tale of Ebenezer Scrooge comes to thrilling new life as Tony Award winner Jefferson Mays plays over 50 roles in a virtuosic, master class of a performance that must be seen to be believed. This theatrical achievement comes from the haunting and hope-filled vision of one of Broadway’s most imaginative directors, Michael Arden.”

Who’s going?

Oh look, a bibu!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#2A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews
Posted: 11/7/22 at 12:18am

Seeing it in December.

Just give the world Love.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#3A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews
Posted: 11/7/22 at 12:35am

You watch your Phraseology!  Mr. Mays was so good as Mayor Shinn. Can’t wait to see him in A Christmas Carol.  I’ll be there Thursday.

broadwayTX
#4A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews
Posted: 11/7/22 at 2:43am

I saw this show at the Geffen Theatre in Los Angeles a few years ago and it’s spectacular. I’m sure there’s a thread on here somewhere about it, but Jefferson is completely captivating in this one-man show and if it’s anything like what was performed at the Geffen you’re all in for a treat! The effects, the sound design, the characterizations. All completely well-done.

I, believe it or not, was unfamiliar with the story of A Christmas Carol prior to seeing the show and this was a great introduction. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#5A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews
Posted: 11/7/22 at 9:38am

$35 tickets available now via Broadway Direct lottery:

https://lottery.broadwaydirect.com/show/carol-ny/

Oh look, a bibu!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#6A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews
Posted: 11/9/22 at 12:03am

Was anyone there tonight?

Oh look, a bibu!

Robstriker
#7A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews
Posted: 11/9/22 at 12:07am

Yes.. It ran 90 mins, One Act. Saw several empty rows in the Mezz. For Merch they had a T shirt/ Sweatshirt/ Mugs and Magnets. 

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#8A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews
Posted: 11/9/22 at 1:40am

EDSOSLO858 said: "Was anyone there tonight?"

Yes, I loved it!! what a charming little production, and funny at points too. I liked the concept and it translates well! You can tell how hard he's working and it's so entertaining. I'd call this the holiday show to take the family to without taking them to the Rockettes. Only negative part was when like 6-8 people in the direct middle of the orchestra got up to leave around 8:45 or so. They all came for only half the show and just left? In the middle of a scene. How disrespectful, especially since it wasn't one large group but 3-4 couples or smaller groups. Definitely go out to see this, so many great cheap tickets and you'll have a great holiday night!

kwoc91
#9A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews
Posted: 11/9/22 at 9:49am

I went last night. This one might be divisive, especially with the tourist crowd. Half my row walked out before the end.

The show overall felt quite dark - literally (multiple scenes illuminated with only candlelight) and figuratively (loud/abrupt noises, scary projection ghosts). The sets, lighting, and special effects were quite captivating. There were some obvious kinks to work out (mostly with the lighting cues and projections) but overall it's very spellbinding.

Jefferson Mays is a treasure. Once the show settles in you don't even realize that he's the only actor onstage.

I was seated in the center rear mezzanine, and my biggest gripe was with the sound. Large chunks of the show were borderline unintelligible. At times, Mays speaks very quickly in a thick accent and the diction does not carry up to the rear mezz. Other times, the sound effects enhancing his voice completely overpowered or muddled the words. This would be highest on my list of things to adjust during the preview period, because the general consensus of those around me (including those who walked out) was "what is even happening right now?"

I'd like to see this again once it officially opens and from a better seat. I have a feeling it would be a completely different experience.

BoringBoredBoard40
#10A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews
Posted: 11/11/22 at 4:23am

Saw this tonight and I can't remember the last time I saw so many people walk out of a show, which was truly bizarre but atleast 20 people I saw leave the mezz and never came back 

and let me say this is not the Xmas Carol to bring little kids to, it gets pretty frightening at points and as was stated the lighting is dark and there are some LOUD sound effects (if anyone from the production is reading this PLEASSSSE cut that first VERY loud cue that starts the show, its unnerving for the wrong reasons)

Jefferson is great but I could have used some more acting versus telling, this is very much a narration heavy direct address to the audience type evening, very few instances of actual scenes between characters 

the effects are pretty cool, certainly will be in contention for set and lighting 

SouthernCakes
#11A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews
Posted: 11/11/22 at 7:25am

Is it a unit set or does it do anything interesting?

kwoc91
#12A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews
Posted: 11/11/22 at 7:56am

SouthernCakes said: "Is it a unit set or does it do anything interesting?"

The set does lots of interesting things! It’s great. Won’t spoil anything though. It’s part of the magic. 

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#13A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews
Posted: 11/11/22 at 10:33am

I simply loved this.

A completely unique telling of Carol, told almost like a ghost story, with several truly dark and unsettling sequences. Gorgeously designed and unexpectedly lush for a solo show. Just surprise after surprise. And his performance is, of course, masterful.

I indeed saw many leave the Mezz last night, too. I think the crowd was heavily papered, though. So, that's often what you get when tickets are free.

That said, some of those were families with small children. And I would be interested how this production did in Los Angeles, because I would imagine there were families who thought they were seeing a cozy standard production and were surprised by how scary it can be.

Can't recommend enough.

I very well might go back again.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#14A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews
Posted: 11/11/22 at 10:46am

I'm wondering how this compares to the production that ran at the Lyceum pre-pandemic?  I've seen images of both productions but is one clearly superior to the other?

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#15A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews
Posted: 11/11/22 at 11:06am

The Thorne version at the Lyceum was much more appealing to our family.  We saw 10 or so people walk out yesterday and disrupt a  moment from where we were.

The audience laughed after the first moment.  It startles and then people laughed.  The show was not scary to our 6 year niece who fell asleep towards the end and wanted to know how "they put shadows on the walls." - Kids have seen "scarier" things than this.  The show is dim and sitting anywhere but the center section is a mistake as sightlines have not been accounted for in the transfer.  The "magic" is a simple yet organized use of set and lights,projection,etc (won't spoil) - hidden, until used, by a consistently dark (sleepy) stage.    It felt a little long and sadly only has a few moments of that Christmas feeling you might go hoping to leave with.   Mays is great doing his multi-character fare which is somewhat clear but is more by-the-book narrator.

The three of us preferred the Thorne version. Perhaps it will make a return next year.  This year it's a different holiday offering to Radio City, if you've seen that... or need another helping of Dicken's ACC, who also performed this over 150 times himself.

Updated On: 11/11/22 at 11:06 AM

kwoc91
#16A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews
Posted: 11/11/22 at 2:06pm

I just remembered the random Sufjan Stevens song that plays during the show. I can't believe I forgot about that in my initial review.

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#17A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews
Posted: 11/11/22 at 2:44pm

I really enjoyed this more than I thought I would and it feels like more than a one man show because the characters are fully realized and there are projections to flesh out the staging at certain points.

That being said the audience was HORRIBLE. I was in the front of the mezz so didn't see people leaving mid-show. I wished the people around me would have left though. A woman with her two children, one of which was CONSTANTLY sucking on something and both were talking non-stop. The guy next to me was breathing so loudly I could barely hear Mays. 

Please do NOT take your children to this. I don't think children should be taken to any one man show because they can't follow it.

The Sufjan song is random but I was loving it.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

hearthemsing22
#18A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews
Posted: 11/11/22 at 3:42pm

The only other one person show I actually enjoyed was "Fully Committed" a few years back. 

I appreciate what Jefferson Mays is doing so much. What was really amusing was the loud bang at the beginning that made everyone in my audience jump and laugh. I kind of felt drowsy during the show, which I feel awful about, because he is doing such amazing work on that stage. Maybe the pace is just too slow for me, and also because it does involve mainly dim lighting. 

BarnabyTucker Profile Photo
BarnabyTucker
#19A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews
Posted: 11/11/22 at 5:46pm

This will forever be a cherished theatergoing memory of mine.  What a stirring and unsettling night of storytelling.  

Shafts of light.  Shadow play.  Slight of hand.  Diversion.  All age old theatrical tricks that are on full display and used to great effect.

Mays' performance is everything we've come to expect from him.  I'd kill to take a one man storytelling workshop lead by him. 

I agree with everyone who thought the audience was rude and outrageously disrespectful to everyone else sitting around them.  The lack of decorum in the theatre is outrageous. 

Will be back before closing. :)

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#20A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews
Posted: 11/11/22 at 5:47pm

Would someone use a spoiler tag and describe some of the effects and set changes?

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#21A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews
Posted: 11/11/22 at 5:57pm

I love Jefferson Mays but this show felt toooooooo long and my ears hurt after thirty minutes.  He talks non-stop so even though he is performing different characters, it felt almost like I was stuck in a non stop monologue.  I was sitting in Side Orchestra C so I could see facial expressions and lighting but missed set effects.  The last scene was quite beautiful but I cannot recommend this unless you love monologues.

chrishuyen
#22A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews
Posted: 11/11/22 at 6:38pm

Melissa25 said: "I love Jefferson Mays but this show felt toooooooo long and my ears hurt after thirty minutes. He talks non-stop so even though he is performing different characters, it felt almost like I was stuck in a non stop monologue. I was sitting in Side Orchestra C so I could see facial expressions and lighting but missed set effects. The last scene was quite beautiful but I cannot recommend this unless you love monologues."

Legitimate question and I'm not trying to be snarky, but isn't that what you expect from a one man show? Like...there's only gonna be one person on stage talking so what were you expecting?

I do agree that when I saw it in LA it felt a little dragged out, and I definitely also remember feeling a bit sleepy at times, but I also remember some stunning moments (I think the transitions into past/present/future?) and a nice use of props/set pieces on stage.  Though on the whole I'd say I preferred Jack Thorne's version.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#23A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews
Posted: 11/11/22 at 8:22pm

chrishuyen said: Melissa25 said: "I love Jefferson Mays but this show felt toooooooo long and my ears hurt after thirty minutes. He talks non-stop so even though he is performing different characters, it felt almost like I was stuck in a non stop monologue. I was sitting in Side Orchestra C so I could see facial expressions and lighting but missed set effects. The last scene was quite beautiful but I cannot recommend this unless you love monologues."

Legitimate question and I'm not trying to be snarky, but isn't that what you expect from a one man show? Like...there's only gonna be one person on stage talking so what were you expecting?

I do agree that when I saw it in LA it felt a little dragged out, and I definitely also remember feeling a bit sleepy at times, but I also remember some stunning moments (I think the transitions into past/present/future?) and a nice use of props/set pieces on stage.  Though on the whole I'd say I preferred Jack Thorne's version.

I knew it was a one man show but I guess I was expecting more diversification amongst the different characters that he played.  Perhaps he will settle in and that will happen.  There is so much verse that it just seemed like on onslaught after a while and it became hard to concentrate.  There are pauses in conversations that allow us to digest.  I missed those.  
They did use some eerie green lighting on his face when he became the ghost which was very cool but overall my side orchestra seat prevented me from seeing other special effects.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#24A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews
Posted: 11/12/22 at 12:14am

ClydeBarrow said: "I really enjoyed this more than I thought I would and it feels like more than a one man show because the characters are fully realized and there are projections to flesh out the staging at certain points.

That being said the audience was HORRIBLE. I was in the front of the mezz so didn't see people leaving mid-show. I wished the people around me would have left though. A woman with her two children, one of which was CONSTANTLY sucking on something and both were talking non-stop. The guy next to me was breathing so loudly I could barely hear Mays.

Please do NOT take your children to this. I don't think children should be taken to any one man show because they can't follow it.

The Sufjan song is random but I was loving it.
"

Which Sufjan song did they use?

Just give the world Love.

BoringBoredBoard40
#25A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2022 Previews
Posted: 11/12/22 at 4:39am

Silver and Gold is the song used