pixeltracker

Oscar-winning Best Picture THE ARTIST to be adapted for the stage

Oscar-winning Best Picture THE ARTIST to be adapted for the stage

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1Oscar-winning Best Picture THE ARTIST to be adapted for the stage
Posted: 11/17/22 at 12:26pm

The McOnie Company has announced its intention to mount the world premiere stage adaptation of The Artist, Michel Hazanavicius's black-and-white film about the twilight of silent movies, which won five Academy Awards (including Best Picture) in 2012.

The story will be co-adapted for the stage by Lindsey Ferrentino (Ugly Lies the Bone) and Olivier Award-winning choreographer Drew McOnie.

Set in 1920s Hollywood, just as the talkies are about to arrive, The Artist tells the story of silent movie star George Valentin and his encounter with newcomer Peppy Miller.

A workshop for The Artist will happen early in 2023. The production is planned to open later in 2023 with further information on dates, venues, and casting to come.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#2Oscar-winning Best Picture THE ARTIST to be adapted for the stage
Posted: 11/17/22 at 1:11pm

I’d like to see a list of movie-to-Broadway adaptations that didn’t flop.

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#3Oscar-winning Best Picture THE ARTIST to be adapted for the stage
Posted: 11/17/22 at 1:23pm

Seems like movie-to-play adaptations are much more common in the UK than they are in the US. Our theatre community tends to operate under the mindset that you can’t adapt anything unless you also shove songs into it. 

So if this is mainly intended as a UK venture, it probably has a better shot at doing well. 

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#4Oscar-winning Best Picture THE ARTIST to be adapted for the stage
Posted: 11/17/22 at 1:35pm

TotallyEffed said: "I’d like to see a list of movie-to-Broadway adaptations that didn’t flop."

Not including movie musicals that were adapted for stage (.i.e. 42nd St, Aladdin,  etc), these are the few I can think of:

A Little Night Music

Applause

Hairspray

The Producers

Grand Hotel

Billy Elliot

On The 20th Century

La Cage Aux Folles

The Color Purple

Promises, Promises

The Full Monty

Little Shop of Horrors

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#5Oscar-winning Best Picture THE ARTIST to be adapted for the stage
Posted: 11/17/22 at 1:43pm

When I saw The Artist, I was bored for perhaps the first 20 minutes.  I even considered leaving the theatre.  But as it progressed, it just "clicked" for me and I totally embraced it.  And now, it is one of my favorite movies.  So, this is very exciting news for me.

Non sibi sed patriae

Lola Getz2 Profile Photo
Lola Getz2
#6Oscar-winning Best Picture THE ARTIST to be adapted for the stage
Posted: 11/17/22 at 2:49pm

I thought the movie was delightful, but curious to know if this will be a pantomime or use dialogue. And how will they handle the REAL star of the film, Uggie! 

Remembering The Artist's Uggie: one of cinema's top dogs

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#7Oscar-winning Best Picture THE ARTIST to be adapted for the stage
Posted: 11/17/22 at 2:57pm

Super interesting! I once learned the whole dance from this end of the movie in a tap class!

verywellthensigh
Jarethan
#9Oscar-winning Best Picture THE ARTIST to be adapted for the stage
Posted: 11/17/22 at 3:05pm

God, I hated that movie.  Tried a second viewing when it was on streaming and lasted 20 minutes.

Also add Mame, Sweet Charity, and The King and I.

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#10Oscar-winning Best Picture THE ARTIST to be adapted for the stage
Posted: 11/17/22 at 3:11pm

Non sibi sed patriae

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#11Oscar-winning Best Picture THE ARTIST to be adapted for the stage
Posted: 11/17/22 at 4:57pm

A major "why?" of an adaptation if ever there were one.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#12Oscar-winning Best Picture THE ARTIST to be adapted for the stage
Posted: 11/17/22 at 5:06pm

Other non-flops include Kinky Boots, Waitress, and The Band's Visit - but TotallyEffed may have meant non-musical plays based on movies.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#13Oscar-winning Best Picture THE ARTIST to be adapted for the stage
Posted: 5/22/23 at 11:27am

https://www.playbill.com/article/the-artist-stage-adaptation-sets-world-premiere-creative-team

The previously announced stage adaptation of the Oscar-winning film The Artist has set dates for a world premiere at Theatre Royal Plymouth, with performances slated to begin May 11, 2024, and continue through May 25. Based on the 2011 film written by Michel Hazanavicius, the stage work is co-adapted by Lindsey Ferrentino  (Amy and the Orphans) and Olivier winner Drew McOnie (King Kong). McOnie will direct and choreograph.

The project has also newly announced a creative team for the production, which will include set and costume design by Christopher Oram, music by Simon Hale, lighting design by Zoe Spurr, sound design by Simon Baker, video design by Ash J Woodward, and puppetry design by Maia Kirkman-Richards. Casting, which is to be announced, is by Will Burton. Chris Poon is music director, with Ebony Molina serving as associate director and choreographer.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#14Oscar-winning Best Picture THE ARTIST to be adapted for the stage
Posted: 5/22/23 at 2:56pm

Surely this is only a dance piece, right? I could see it working as a ballet or something.

bk
#15Oscar-winning Best Picture THE ARTIST to be adapted for the stage
Posted: 5/22/23 at 3:22pm

pethian said: "TotallyEffed said: "I’d like to see a list of movie-to-Broadway adaptations that didn’t flop."

Not including movie musicals that were adapted for stage (.i.e. 42nd St, Aladdin, etc), these are the few I can think of:

A Little Night Music

Applause

Hairspray

The Producers

Grand Hotel

Billy Elliot

On The 20th Century

La Cage Aux Folles

The Color Purple

Promises, Promises

The Full Monty

Little Shop of Horrors
"

Now do the same exact list but remove the titles that did NOT use the original movie title because that wasn't the POINT of doing the musical version, i.e. "branding." Let's see THAT list.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#17Oscar-winning Best Picture THE ARTIST to be adapted for the stage
Posted: 9/28/23 at 8:15am

I guess it’s safe to assume Bill Berloni will be training the Jack Russell Terriers who’ll play The Dog? As many who saw the film know, the dog is one of the stars of the film. 

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017