pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 1:26pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 11/20/2022 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: WALKING WITH GHOSTS (13.4%), KPOP (6.6%), THE LION KING (1.6%), & JULIET (0.5%), FUNNY GIRL (0.4%), THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (0.3%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: INTO THE WOODS (-16.5%), ALMOST FAMOUS (-16.1%), SOME LIKE IT HOT (-15.8%), KIMBERLY AKIMBO (-13.8%), BEETLEJUICE (-12.3%), CHICAGO (-11.7%), A STRANGE LOOP (-10.7%), MIKE BIRBIGLIA: THE OLD MAN & THE POOL (-10.6%), TOPDOG / UNDERDOG (-9.5%), THE MUSIC MAN (-9.3%), OHIO STATE MURDERS (-9%), DEATH OF A SALESMAN (-7.3%), TAKE ME OUT (-7.3%), 1776 (-7%), ALADDIN (-6.9%), A BEAUTIFUL NOISE, THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL (-5.9%), WICKED (-5.1%), HAMILTON (-4.7%), A CHRISTMAS CAROL (-4.5%), LEOPOLDSTADT (-4%), HADESTOWN (-3.5%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-3.1%), AIN'T NO MO' (-2.7%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (-2.5%), THE PIANO LESSON (-2.5%), MJ THE MUSICAL (-1.8%), SIX (-1%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (-0.7%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

BoringBoredBoard40
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 1:31pm

Wow those Ain't No Mo numbers are something

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 1:33pm

This is a painful week to look at. The new shows really got a firm back-hand slap down the board…

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 1:36pm

The previous week's totals (11/13) were due in large part to the holiday weekend bump, as I was expecting.

The hot tickets are going to see incredible numbers for over a month starting next week. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 11/22/22 at 01:36 PM

BoringBoredBoard40
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 1:38pm

most of the holidays fall on weekends this year which past trends show is a negative because no shows on saturdays/sundays 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 1:50pm

Some Like It Hot will need major money reviews. Thats a big expensive musical and it needs a shot in the arm, fast.

Lumiere2 Profile Photo
Lumiere2
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 2:08pm

All five shows in the bottom this week (by house % attendance) are plays that are at 60% attendance or lower and a weekly gross under $350K - and four are below $275K. Walking with Ghosts already cut its run short by several weeks, and it's likely that'll happen to at least one more production.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 2:27pm

Well that’s depressing. 

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 2:37pm

A Christmas Carol: avg ticket price $26.69

KPOP: avg ticket price $32.72

YIKES Y'ALL. One would hope that the actual holiday season will see the gross for A Christmas Carol rise (I really think people are done with the whole Christmas-Starts-November-First crap that the corporate world tries to shove at us every year). But how do you fully recover when you are starting your limited run with this kind of number? It would take a Christmas miracle. I hope the show is cheap to operate.  And while I really disliked KPOP, I must say I feel terribly for those involved with the show. It just seems to be getting slapped down at every turn and cant catch a break. 

And is it just me or is there almost ZERO ad presence for some of these shows? If I didn't work in the industry I would not really be aware of Some Like it Hot. Ohio State Murders has one cringey commercial with Audra glaring at the camera, and like most Broadway commercials it doesn't tell you a single thing as to what its about/what to expect. Kimberly Akimbo is the best new musical I've seen in a long time, but if they want to make it through to Tony season (and the sales boost from the inevitable Best Musical win), they really need to revamp their advertising game to convey the tone and plot of the piece. Rave reviews wont pull it all the way to June if folks still don't know what they are buying. Does Ain't No Mo even have advertising? 

There's already far too much product for the available and interested pool of ticket buyers. So survival will already be more of an uphill battle than usual. To mess up your ad campaign in this market is like pushing the show off a cliff.

trpguyy
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 3:32pm

quizking101 said: "This is a painful week to look at. The new shows really got a firm back-hand slap down the board…"

& Juliet and A Beautiful Noise have very strong numbers 

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 3:59pm

Those Kimberly Akimbo numbers are depressing. The show's own publicity staff couldn't have written better reviews and it dropped. It really does seem that any new show has to have some very familiar element in terms of star/song catalogue/title to make a go of it right now.

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 4:03pm

Outside of A Beautiful Noise, are any of the new musicals making it into the winter? These numbers are rough! This week should see a boost, but I can't imagine these new shows surviving the winter, especially with COVID numbers starting to go up again.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 4:16pm

carolinaguy said: "Those Kimberly Akimbo numbers are depressing. The show's own publicity staff couldn't have written better reviews and it dropped. It really does seem that any new show has to have some very familiar element in terms of star/song catalogue/title to make a go of it right now."

At least they know they have the best shot at a Tony.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 4:25pm

blaxx said: "carolinaguy said: "Those Kimberly Akimbo numbers are depressing. The show's own publicity staff couldn't have written better reviews and it dropped. It really does seem that any new show has to have some very familiar element in terms of star/song catalogue/title to make a go of it right now."

"

Will they still if they've been closed for 5 months though? They have to figure out how to get to June first. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 4:26pm

&Juliet and A Beautiful Noise will more then likely still be around come the spring....

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 4:27pm

jkcohen626 said: "blaxx said: "carolinaguy said: "Those Kimberly Akimbo numbers are depressing. The show's own publicity staff couldn't have written better reviews and it dropped. It really does seem that any new show has to have some very familiar element in terms of star/song catalogue/title to make a go of it right now."

"

Will they still if they've been closed for 5 months though? They have to figure out how to get to June first.
"

I'd think at this point they know how to hold on at poor figures until then. Truly hope they do.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

BoringBoredBoard40
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 4:42pm

Depending if there is a stop clause it might not be up to the producers if they can drag the show into June

OhHiii
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 4:45pm

Some Like It Hot's gross # increasing in a week where the vast majority of the street fell is a decent sign positive word of mouth is helping. We'll see if it's enough coupled with hopefully strong reviews. 

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if KPOP moved the review date away from their Opening celebration to ease the blow of closing on Opening night. I can't imagine ANYONE coming in as an angel investor to help it limp along. Gone by Jan 2 latest.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 4:49pm

On a glass half empty basis, there are nine new shows currently available for under $100 (many of them MUCH under) that I would recommend everyone see. Yes, there is going to be a ton of red ink but that presents a tremendous opportunity to those who like to say the ticket is too damn high. Don't dawdle.

BoringBoredBoard40
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 4:59pm

^ to jump on this

If you have not already seen Topdog/Underdog please go asap

BCfitasafiddle
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 5:02pm

Go see Ain't No Mo' !!

Go see Kimberly Akimbo !! 

Go see Topdog/Underdog !!

All required viewing IMO. 

BETTY22
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 5:08pm

OUCH: Some Like It Hot is in trouble.

It's break even is in the 800's

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 5:21pm

blaxx said: "carolinaguy said: "Those Kimberly Akimbo numbers are depressing. The show's own publicity staff couldn't have written better reviews and it dropped. It really does seem that any new show has to have some very familiar element in terms of star/song catalogue/title to make a go of it right now."

"

As last season proved, winning the tony award doesn’t guarantee a box office success. So, why should producers keep paying for the show to stay open until the Tony’s if they’ll likely still close at a loss?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 5:35pm

Call_me_jorge said: "blaxx said: "carolinaguy said: "Those Kimberly Akimbo numbers are depressing. The show's own publicity staff couldn't have written better reviews and it dropped. It really does seem that any new show has to have some very familiar element in terms of star/song catalogue/title to make a go of it right now."

"

As last season proved, winning the tony award doesn’t guarantee a box office success. So, why should producers keep paying for the show to stay open until the Tony’s if they’ll likely still close at a loss?
"

In 22 years only two Best Musical winners have flopped. I'd still say the award gives any production a very high chance to become a hit.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/20/22
Posted: 11/22/22 at 5:44pm

My guess is David Stone (one of the smartest producers around) feels he has a more populist, crowd-pleasing show with KIMBERLY than his colleagues had with A STRANGE LOOP. Whether that’s true remains to be seen though…

Audra once again proves that she is NOT a draw if she’s not singing.

I bet we’ll see JULIET hit the $1M club soon, maybe as soon as next week. 

Videos