pixeltracker

BAD CINDERELLA to close on June 4- Page 25

BAD CINDERELLA to close on June 4

QueenTwinnied
#600BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/28/23 at 2:25am

QueenTwinnied said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Hearthemsing22, where are people getting the idea that you're an "old person?" Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that you're Gen Z, and that the 22 in your screen name might refer to your age. Obviously, you're not obligated to clear it up, but I am curious."

Based on their insane behavior and inability to communicate like an adult I would've guessed 12.
"

I truly apologize mucking up the thread with unnecessary mess but how can this person send me three more disgusting, hypocritical messages that literally contain THREATS and the mods don't do anything about my reports? This person should not have access to a keyboard

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#601BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/28/23 at 4:29am

This person is quite a piece of work, indeed - I've had my own run onscwith them too..

I'm looking at the time of your post, and will assume that no mods are working in the middle of the night, and will hopefully do something in the morning.  The most they can do, is ban the poster....but I doubt you'll be told if that halpens.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#602BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/28/23 at 8:39am

TaffyDavenport said: "Brand new social media ad:

https://twitter.com/badcinderella/status/1640482003580596225
"

Brilliant!

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#603BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/28/23 at 1:26pm

Savy Jackson will be on as Cinderella tonight, then on every Sunday going forward.

JSquared2
#604BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/28/23 at 1:34pm

Lot666 said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Brand new social media ad:

https://twitter.com/badcinderella/status/1640482003580596225
"

Brilliant!
"

More like desperate.  

Do a lot of people decide how to spend their entertainment dollars based on what Bethany Frankel thinks?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#605BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/28/23 at 1:42pm

An angle's an angle and they don't have much better to work with in terms of critical quotes. So yes it's desperate, but it's also just a social post –– it's not like that's being printed in the NYT or plastered on sides of buses (that I know of). If a few HOUSEWIVES fans choose to buy because of it, fine. Remember their cast announcement was also "real housewives" themed.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#606BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/28/23 at 3:14pm

JSquared2 said: "More like desperate."

More like brilliant.

DJD4
#607BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/28/23 at 3:33pm

The narrative around the broadway run of this show is so interesting to me.

In London, it was generally agreed that the show had some flaws and could use some work. However, audiences generally enjoyed it and it had a big fanbase. A lot of the fanbase came for Carrie Hope Fletcher (who has said multiple times that she did not enjoy her time in the show, so can we please stop suggesting that she should've opened the broadway company?), but the show overall still had an audience and was received fairly well. When the show announced its very abrupt closure (in a manner that was extremely disrespectful to the present and future company of the show), audiences were genuinely stunned that the show didn't run longer.

Then the show opens on broadway, and the narrative completely changes. Every single review I have seen, both professional and amateur, has discussed how unenjoyable and terrible this show is. It is not just the people on these boards who dislike it, the production even feels the need to acknowledge the poor reviews. We have begun predicting a closing announcement (my guess is a May announcement for a June closure). 

So here's the question: Are American audiences just much more critical than UK audiences? Or has the show genuinely gotten worse through the transfer? (maybe both?)

Updated On: 3/28/23 at 03:33 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#609BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/28/23 at 3:42pm

I'm curious as to whether she will play the role differently.

Savy Jackson to Star in BAD CINDERELLA For All Sunday Performances

Updated On: 3/29/23 at 03:42 PM

chrishuyen
#610BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/28/23 at 4:20pm

I would definitely consider going again for Savy Jackson.  Curious about her take.

I do think the closing announcement and ALW's misinterpreted speech soured a lot of attitudes towards the show, as well as CHF's noted dislike of her experience.  But on the whole I'd say Broadway critics are tougher than West End, which as a generalization seems to enjoy larger/spectacle shows based more.  I don't expect Back to the Future to do nearly as well critically here as it did in London, so we'll have to see.

fwiw I thought the show got better in the transfer, but I don't think that's a common consensus by any means

BETTY22
#611BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/28/23 at 4:22pm

Who is Bethenny Frankle? I saw on Twitter a quote from her slapped over the NYT review....

It feels desperate 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#612BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/28/23 at 4:30pm

BETTY22 said: "Who is Bethenny Frankle? I saw on Twitter a quote from her slapped over the NYT review....

It feels desperate
"

Relevant link

An angle's an angle and they don't have much better to work with in terms of critical quotes. So yes it's desperate, but it's also just a social post –– it's not like that's being printed in the NYT or plastered on sides of buses (that I know of). If a few HOUSEWIVES fans choose to buy because of it, fine. Remember their cast announcement was also "real housewives" themed.

Theatrefan2
#613BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/28/23 at 4:58pm

DJD4 said: "The narrative around the broadway run of this show is so interesting to me.

In London, it was generally agreed that the show had some flaws and could use some work. However, audiences generally enjoyed it and it had a big fanbase. A lot of the fanbase came for Carrie Hope Fletcher (who has said multiple times that she did not enjoy her time in the show, so can we please stop suggesting that she should've opened the broadway company?), but the show overall still had an audience and was received fairly well. When the show announced its very abrupt closure (in a manner that was extremely disrespectful to the present and future company of the show), audiences were genuinely stunned that the show didn't run longer.

Then the show opens on broadway, and the narrative completely changes. Every single review I have seen, both professional and amateur, has discussed how unenjoyable and terrible this show is. It is not just the people on these boards who dislike it, the production even feels the need to acknowledge the poor reviews. We have begun predicting a closing announcement (my guess is a May announcement for a June closure). 

So here's the question: Are American audiences just much more critical than UK audiences? Or has the show genuinely gotten worse through the transfer? (maybe both?)
"

That's not really true about London at all. Word of mouth was pretty poor (outside the CHF hard-core fans which give the Wicked fans a run for their money), plenty of negative comments each time the show performed on tv for promotion and very few people were surprised it closed. If anything people were surprised it lasted as long as it did as its sales and word of mouth were so bad. CHFs fanbase turned out to not be as big as expected and couldn't fill the seats. It struggled from pretty early on.

Add on top of that people often expecting more of the traditional fairytale, and ALW behaviour (and the cast behaviour) jumping from one PR disaster to another. 

It got a lot of goodwill in the reviews due to it being the first show to open post covid and ALWs attempts to get the theatres open again. But it did conflict with many audience opinions.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#614BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/28/23 at 5:05pm

I'm not British and can't speak to this with authority, but BAD CINDERELLA also seems like something that is panto-adjacent, and thus might be enjoyed by those steeped in that tradition in the UK...right?

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#615BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/28/23 at 7:27pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I'm not British and can't speak to this with authority, but BAD CINDERELLA also seems like something that is panto-adjacent, and thus might be enjoyed by those steeped in that tradition in the UK...right?"

I'm glad someone else picked up on this, because that was the vibe I got from the day the show was announced (and then from seeing clips and coverage of the UK run). I wonder--the very real problems with the show aside--if this is why the US press was much more scathing than the UK press (The Guardian, iirc, had one of the best reviews of the US transfer).

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#616BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/28/23 at 11:37pm

It also closed early and made no money, so I'm not sure I'd call it a success there either. 

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#617BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/29/23 at 12:31am

RippedMan said: "It also closed early and made no money, so I'm not sure I'd call it a success there either."

Absolutely a fair point, but there is a gulf between "successful" and "better received," at least based on the reviews back in the day. Whether that was post-COVID relief at a new show opening or the British press generally being kinder than the NYC press, I can't say; the only direct comparison we have, I think, is the NYT reviews, one of which was mixed (London) and one of which was a total pan (NYC).

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#618BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/29/23 at 12:56am

Ironically, we're more likely to see this sort of disparity in reviews within our own country--  between LA and NYC-- than we are between London and NYC. Amelie and Almost Famous were widely praised in LA and pretty much panned in NYC. And I remember back in the 80s, the Hal Prince production of A Doll's Life (Grossman/Comden & Green) being hailed as the next coming in LA and it closed 3 days after opening at the Hellinger on Broadway.

Updated On: 3/29/23 at 12:56 AM

commopics
#619BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/29/23 at 1:24am

Pethian, it's interesting that you go back four decades ago for an example of the difference between LA and NYC reviews, using a show that I remember getting a generally downbeat response from critics and audiences in both cities.

QueenTwinnied
#620BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/29/23 at 5:35am

BETTY22 said: "Who is Bethenny Frankle? I saw on Twitter a quote from her slapped over the NYT review....

It feels desperate
"

If you mean Bethenny Frankel, she’s a former Real Housewife and failed television personality. She is generally disliked by anyone familiar with her, so I wouldn’t take any opinion she spouts seriously 

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#621BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/29/23 at 7:37am

It feels desperate
"

You can listen to her review here

https://www.justjared.com/2023/03/28/broadways-bad-cinderella-perfectly-reacts-to-negative-reviews-by-promoting-bethenny-frankels-rave-review-instead/

Chase Miller
#622BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/29/23 at 10:29am

I love the new ad. They're marketing team is great.

broadwayboy223
#623BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/29/23 at 10:58am

Updated On: 3/29/23 at 10:58 AM

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#624BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/29/23 at 11:00am

Might as well complete the jumping of the shark by stunt casting Countess Luann as the stepmother.

Videos