pixeltracker

BAD CINDERELLA to close on June 4- Page 27

BAD CINDERELLA to close on June 4

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#650BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/19/23 at 9:52pm

The show bombed on the west end and should have never opened on Broadway. Now it bombed on Broadway go figure... It's just a BAD show! I cant even listen to the score it's that BAD and that opening number -Buns & Roses ? UGH!

New marketing is NOT going to save it just close it!

So, whatever happend to Hailey Kilgore she would have been a great Cinderella. Bad casting decision on LinedyGenao!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#651BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/21/23 at 4:39am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I don't think there's anything that's going to turn the show around at this point.

If Christine & Steve Schwartzman want to sink cash into this, that's a better use of their money than supporting the GOP. But the agency works at the direction of the producer and firing them is not going to help much.

If they really wanted to try something different, lean into the camp element. Engage Drag Queens and the gay community. Be punchy and tongue in cheek with the ad copy and quotes and campaign. Put the Stepmother and Queen front and center. Show off Prince Charming. etc.
"

This, precisely. Do what Diana did way too late!

I doubt it'll make the show a best-seller, or even necessarily save it, but they need to do something different if they want to run more than a few more weeks. The thing is I thought they were going to lean into the campy side of it, but they've been half-hearted in doing so. Put Carolee and Grace out there and sell them as the high point of the show, which they are IMO, because they have the only funny book scene going.

MrMushnik
#652BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/22/23 at 2:11pm

Robbie2 said: "The show bombed on the west end and should have never opened on Broadway. Now it bombed on Broadway go figure... It's just a BAD show! I cant even listen to the score it's that BAD and that opening number -Buns & Roses ? UGH!

New marketing is NOT going to save it just close it!

So, whatever happend to Hailey Kilgore she would have been a great Cinderella. Bad casting decision onLinedyGenao!
"

The score is absolutely gorgeous. Such a fun show!

BETTY22
#653BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/23/23 at 1:49pm

I friend of mine in the cast said there is talk of emergency 'stunt' casting to save the show.

Who could they get who could go in fast and bring an audience with them?

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#654BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/23/23 at 1:52pm

Can they stunt-cast a better writer?

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#655BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/23/23 at 1:59pm

If she didn’t just have a child, my vote would be for Keke Palmer. She knows the Cinderella character, but she’s also a total bada** and big in the cultural zeitgeist right now. 

Maybe Peppermint from Drag Race as the Fairy Godmother? (It’s essentially the same magical character as Pythio from HEAD OVER HEELS).

Unfortunately, I don’t think casting is the issue when the show itself is the main problem, and talk of emergency stunt casting means replacing one of the leads prior to Tony nominations and consideration and that’s not a good look.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

MrMushnik
#656BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/23/23 at 2:07pm

Kelly Clarkson as Cinderella, just sayin.

pmensky
#657BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/23/23 at 2:19pm

MrMushnik said: "Kelly Clarkson as Cinderella, just sayin."

And Justin Guarini as Sebastian.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#658BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/23/23 at 2:20pm

quizking101 said: "I don’t think casting is the issue when the show itself is the main problem, and talk of emergency stunt casting means replacing one of the leads prior to Tony nominations and consideration and that’s not a good look."

Well considering the Tony nominations come out in 9 days, I highly doubt anyone is being replaced in that time :) Acting nominations are also highly unlikely, aside from maaaaaaaaaaaybe Carmello or McLean.

It all seems a little too late. Also depending on what role it is, the replacement might throw off the calibration (not that the show is highly calibrated to begin with, but...) If it's, for example, a drag queen or housewife as one of the two above roles, it would be odd to have just one person of that nature in the show –– and to replace one of the two best parts of the show.

Not that she's a huge draw, but someone like Auliʻi Cravalho could have been great in the title role of the original Bway cast.

I'd also take anything BETTY22 heard from a castmember with a tiny grain of salt: unless this is the castmember who is being replaced, that's not information that would ever be shared with the company so is more likely hearsay.

Updated On: 4/23/23 at 02:20 PM

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#659BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/23/23 at 4:01pm

I heard a name that was real head scratcher because she's a very talented Tony winner with an impressive theatre resume... but just a theatre resume. 

We've seen time and time again that Broadway stars (no matter how big) don't bring in people, only real A-listers do. 

Also, Super Awesome Friends has been reposting bootleg clips of the show on TikTok. So after the whole, "Belleville bootleg" "controversy," the new marketing agency for the show is now using real bootlegs to try to market it. 

nativenewyorker2
#660BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/23/23 at 4:32pm

jkcohen626 said: "I heard a name that was real head scratcher because she's a very talented Tony winner with an impressive theatre resume... but just a theatre resume.

Also, Super Awesome Friends has been reposting bootleg clips of the show on TikTok. So after the whole, "Belleville bootleg" "controversy ok," the new marketing agency for the show is now using real bootlegs to try to market it.
"

I can see the press conference now : I’m not your bad Cinderella, I’m your next to normal Cinderella”

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#661BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/23/23 at 6:41pm

BETTY22 said: "I friend of mine in the cast said there is talk of emergency 'stunt' casting to save the show.

Who could they get who could go in fast and bring an audience with them?

"

Why? Feel it's a bit late to save the show as the Tony nominations will be announced Tuesday 5/2. Maybe that drag queen that did Chicago recently? Box office sky rocked with her in it but is a drag queen really gonna save this show? LOL

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 4/23/23 at 06:41 PM

buffalospeedway
#662BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/23/23 at 7:15pm

jkcohen626 said: "I heard a name that was real head scratcher because she's a very talented Tony winner with an impressive theatre resume... but just a theatre resume.

We've seen time and time again that Broadway stars (no matter how big) don't bring in people, only real A-listers do.

I think "film and TV stars" or "Hollywood stars/celebrities" might be more accurate to use than "real A-listers." Every industry has its A-listers, including the theater industry. A Tony winner with "just" a theater resume = an incredible, charismatic performer that might give some life to a struggling show!

Also, I think it's less about having A-listers in any industry, and more about finding a person with a dedicated following that will put people in seats. I wouldn't necessarily consider Jinkx to be an A-lister in the vein of Zendaya, for example, but their presence was obviously a boon to Chicago.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#663BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/23/23 at 7:20pm

Webber has the cash to keep this show afloat if they want to hire someone to come in and try to boost sales.  I think it's a very wise idea for them to at least try it. I'd guess the "star" casting would be either the Queen or Stepmother, but my money would be on Stepmother. 

pmensky
#664BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/23/23 at 7:45pm

I wouldn’t put it past him to replace Linedy considering how he’s dealt with past leading ladies. He is a capricious man!

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#665BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/23/23 at 8:22pm

quizking101 said: "

Maybe Peppermint from Drag Race as the Fairy Godmother? (It’s essentially the same magical character as Pythio from HEAD OVER HEELS).

"

I'm not sure a stunt cast for a single (very good, imo) scene and song is going to do any box office magic.

Ricey2
#666BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/23/23 at 9:22pm

I’d much more hope they’d stunt cast Cinderella over either the Queen or the Stepmother. Grace and Carolee are the ones carrying this show. I really wish this would do better.

Danny1984
#667BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/24/23 at 4:44pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Webber has the cash to keep this show afloat if they want to hire someone to come in and try to boost sales. I think it's a very wise idea for them to at least try it. I'd guess the "star" casting would be either the Queen or Stepmother, but my money would be on Stepmother."

I really hope they do have the cash afloat to keep this going a while longer. It's a great show.

Is it Webber's decision on Broadway though? In London Webber/RUG is often sole producer (and often in one of his theatres too) so I guess it's easy for him to keep things running.

How does this work for him on Broadway with several co-producers? Does everyone have to agree or do some control things?

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#668BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/24/23 at 4:50pm

https://nypost.com/2023/04/18/bad-cinderella-hemorrhaging-cash-as-2023-tony-noms-approach/

Webber supposedly wants to close it. It's Schwartzman who wants it open and she has unlimited money. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#669BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/24/23 at 4:51pm

Meh, it’s trash, an embarrassment and will be gone before Summer’s end.

Danny1984
#670BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/24/23 at 5:03pm

jkcohen626 said: "https://nypost.com/2023/04/18/bad-cinderella-hemorrhaging-cash-as-2023-tony-noms-approach/

Webber supposedly wants to close it. It's Schwartzman who wants it open and she has unlimited money.
"

So who gets the final say?

saxpower
#671BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/24/23 at 10:25pm

I was looking at available seats fro the rest of April and noticed something odd.  With one exception, it appears more than half of the seats are still available for each performance (no, that's not the odd part).

The one exception, though is Wednesday's matinee. By my figuring, it's approaching 90% capacity.  I just seems odd that the one performance this week selling well is a Wednesday matinee.  Whats also weird is telecharge says the performance starts at 1 PM.  The Bad Cinderella website lists 2:00 (the time for all other Wednesday Matinees).  Clicking on the Wednesday Matinee on the BC website brings you to the telecharge page for tomorrow night's performance. 

I'm not a conspiracy theorist type but the whole thing looks..odd.  Any ideas for what's happening?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#672BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/24/23 at 10:28pm

saxpower said: "I was looking at available seats fro the rest of April and noticed something odd. With one exception, it appears more than half of the seats are still available for each performance (no, that's not the odd part).

The one exception, though is Wednesday's matinee. By my figuring, it's approaching 90% capacity. I just seems odd that theoneperformance this week selling well is a Wednesday matinee. Whats also weird is telecharge says the performance starts at 1 PM. The Bad Cinderella website lists 2:00 (the time for all other Wednesday Matinees). Clicking on the Wednesday Matinee on the BC website brings you to the telecharge page for tomorrow night's performance.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist type but the whole thing looks..odd. Any ideas for what's happening?
"

That should be a 1:00 student matinee... they did one last week too.

Oh look, a bibu!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#673BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/24/23 at 10:29pm

Shows often don't put ALL available seats on sale on the ticketing site.

As for the matinee 2 days from now, could be a school group buyout (a DOE program? I know they've partnered with Six, too) or heavy comping, or something else.

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#674BAD CINDERELLA On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/25/23 at 12:13am

saxpower said: "
The one exception, though is Wednesday's matinee. By my figuring, it's approaching 90% capacity. I just seems odd that the one performance this week selling well is a Wednesday matinee. Whats also weird is telecharge says the performance starts at 1 PM. The Bad Cinderella website lists 2:00 (the time for all other Wednesday Matinees). Clicking on the Wednesday Matinee on the BC website brings you to the telecharge page for tomorrow night's performance.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist type but the whole thing looks..odd. Any ideas for what's happening?
"

So I don't want to say much to reveal anything, but let's just say there's a kitten who has been slinking around and giving those who want to see Bad Cinderella, Kimberly Akimbo, and Leopoldstat an opportunity to for specific weeks. This is the first week I've seen this kitten offer me Bad Cinderella, since she usually only carries Akimbo.

(I loved the show though, so I am very glad to say I'll give it a second view now that previews are over!)

Videos