KPOP Reviews

PipingHotPiccolo
#25KPOP Reviews
Posted: 11/27/22 at 10:00pm

dearalanaaaa said: "
This is precisely why this is getting mixed reviews. I totally agree with you. You can't just slap a fun genre into a theatre and call it a Broadway show, that's like if somebody saw the discography of Twenty One Pilots, made a musical called "Alternative Music, the musical" and created music inspired by the genre (Not by any specific alternative artist) and then had a plot about the struggles of a small band growing in the alternative scene in the USA. The plot is far too flimsy, it doesn't make sense and even if the music is good it'll never save the book. I'm glad the reviews are mixed but the writing is on the wall, this won't survive to the Tony's without convincing real kpop fans or traditional audiences to see this.

"

Agreed but I think you've giving K-Pop production way too much credit by suggesting that anyone would have ANY idea that there even is a plot here to speak of... the marketing has been vague, at best. And if all your average ticket buyer knows is "oh theres a show of Korean pop music"--unless you are already a fan of it, I just can't fathom why anyone would plunk down $100 for the privilege.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#26KPOP Reviews
Posted: 11/27/22 at 10:07pm

These are, predictably, not great. If they don't have a decent chunk of money in the bank to do a major ad blitz –– which would then have to translate into sales –– CITS will be free for a spring opening. It's just throwing money in a burning hole at this point.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#27KPOP Reviews
Posted: 11/27/22 at 10:15pm

You can't just slap a fun genre into a theatre and call it a Broadway show, that's like if somebody saw the discography of Twenty One Pilots, made a musical called "Alternative Music, the musical" and created music inspired by the genre (Not by any specific alternative artist) and then had a plot about the struggles of a small band growing in the alternative scene in the USA.

Exactly! Great comment. 

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#28KPOP Reviews
Posted: 11/27/22 at 10:19pm

Dan, why can't more people on this site be a fun guy like you? Did you see the show 3x now?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

dangeresque49
#29KPOP Reviews
Posted: 11/27/22 at 10:58pm

I didn't know this was opening day, This was on todaytix for rush for at least an hour when I checked. Not a good sign. 

JuneJune
#30KPOP Reviews
Posted: 11/27/22 at 11:10pm

Last I checked, they had rush tickets available at 1:00 for a 3:00 show. A friend of mine attending said there were a lot of vacant seats too. On opening day? Not a good sign indeed.

(I say that but I'm rooting for this to succeed, as it is easily the most fun I've had in a theater—book aside)

BoringBoredBoard40
#31KPOP Reviews
Posted: 11/28/22 at 12:08am

time to call it a day

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#32KPOP Reviews
Posted: 11/28/22 at 12:19am

PipingHotPiccolo said: "dearalanaaaa said: " this won't survive to the Tony's without convincing real kpop fans or traditional audiences to see this.

"
Agreed but I think you've giving K-Pop production way too much credit by suggesting that anyone would have ANY idea that there even is a plot here to speak of... the marketing has been vague, at best. And if all your average ticket buyer knows is "oh theres a show of Korean pop music"--unless you are already a fan of it, I just can't fathom why anyone would plunk down $100 for the privilege.

"

That's the other part this marketing team really doesn't understand... KPop fans are very competitive for their specific groups and f(x) is a fairly unpopular group without enough hardcore stans running out to see Luna. They have 600k monthly listeners on spotify, which is less than Jax (singer of Victoria's Secret, the only song from them on the radio), and Billlie (a recently debuted girl group in kpop). KPop fans won't attend the show because there's not enough of them who are interested in anything outside of charting/streaming and collections for their own groups. Korean people aren't attending it because kpop is already in their country. KPop being fun and interesting is not the marketing pitch these people expected it to be at all. They need a Gen Z on their advertising team ASAP. I wish the cast the best and if they really want to be KPop stars they can audition for Fantigo, JYP, CUBE, YG, StarShip, or any other company creating KPop groups that exist outside of a music vacuum. 

(I still hope to hear the cast recording though!!)

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#33KPOP Reviews
Posted: 11/28/22 at 12:36am

I managed to get a rush ticket to see Sunday matinee and wow the audience was amazing! Lots more energy from the audience and even saw a cellphone light wave. Pretty cool. I think the cast members loved the audience too! 

Producers of KPOP need to find or market to the people who they think would pay full price tickets. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#34KPOP Reviews
Posted: 11/28/22 at 2:17am

I just feel like Broadway is going to trend to cater to the Bridge and Tunnel crowd - so lots more old white man jukebox shows and old movies. And interesting works, like this, are going to get side-lined. Sucks. 

JasonC3
#35KPOP Reviews
Posted: 11/28/22 at 5:49am

RippedMan said: "I just feel like Broadway is going to trend to cater to the Bridge and Tunnel crowd - so lots more old white man jukebox shows and old movies. And interesting works, like this, are going to get side-lined. Sucks."

Could be, but this show seems like it is a case of producers not quite knowing what to do with (or how to effectively market) their artistic product to the right audiences.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#36KPOP Reviews
Posted: 11/28/22 at 9:39am

RippedMan said: "I just feel like Broadway is going to trend to cater to the Bridge and Tunnel crowd - so lots more old white man jukebox shows and old movies. And interesting works, like this, are going to get side-lined. Sucks."

I think it's time to stop thinking the "Bridge and Tunnel crowd" are less than someone in the city.  

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#37KPOP Reviews
Posted: 11/28/22 at 10:11am

These reviews are the worst kind: neither raves nor  pans, but skewing negative and with very few pull quotes. 

Frankly, the marketing of the show is very bad. Who could have any idea what it’s about other than a genre of music? And one that, as critics and posters here have demonstrated, many people come with preconceived notions and opinions about? Fans of real K-pop probably aren’t interested in an ersatz take on it, and people who don’t like K-pop will need extra convincing to even consider attending. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Phillyguy
#38KPOP Reviews
Posted: 11/28/22 at 10:14am

I disagree. As someone who’s not old or hot, I like plenty of edgy shows on Broadway. But just because it has fun songs, good lighting and great dances, it doesn’t make up for the lack of a compelling story. As plenty of reviewers have said, the story is half baked and conflicts unresolved. It doesn’t quite know what it tries to be and that shows in the lack of clear marketing. 

I saw it early in preview and it was a disaster despite my high hopes from the off Broadway run. Looks like there’s been a lot of revisions since then but it’s still not enough to make it coherent and compelling.

The biggest problem is that the songs don’t really advance the storyline. You can argue why it’s necessary but that’s basically what separates a musical from a play with music. 

Sometimes when you work on something for so long, all the ideas seem clear to you in your head but that’s not necessarily the case for new audience. This really would’ve benefited for more workshops when they decided to transfer to linear storytelling. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#39KPOP Reviews
Posted: 11/28/22 at 10:23am

I don’t know how much workshopping they could’ve done- it’s been in development since the off-Broadway iteration. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Phillyguy
#40KPOP Reviews
Posted: 11/28/22 at 10:33am

Maybe they should’ve tried to stage the current revision off Broadway first. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#41KPOP Reviews
Posted: 11/28/22 at 10:59am

JuneJune said: "Last I checked, they had rush tickets available at 1:00 for a 3:00 show. A friend of mine attending said there were a lot of vacant seats too. On opening day? Not a good sign indeed.

(I say that but I'm rooting for this to succeed, as it is easily the most fun I've had in a theater—book aside)
"

To be fair, the pseudo-opening night was earlier this week. The "opening" matinee seemed almost completely filled to me. That said, it was a holiday weekend, shouldn't have been that easy to get a ticket.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#42KPOP Reviews
Posted: 11/28/22 at 12:57pm

Kad said: "I don’t know how much workshopping they could’ve done- it’s been in development since the off-Broadway iteration."

The show has gone through several workshops in recent years. 

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

BoringBoredBoard40
#43KPOP Reviews
Posted: 11/28/22 at 2:29pm

this really needed an out of town production first

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#44KPOP Reviews
Posted: 11/28/22 at 2:51pm

Huss417 said: "RippedMan said: "I just feel like Broadway is going to trend to cater to the Bridge and Tunnel crowd - so lots more old white man jukebox shows and old movies. And interesting works, like this, are going to get side-lined. Sucks."

I think it's time to stop thinking the "Bridge and Tunnel crowd" are less than someone in the city.
"

Just looking at what's popular on Broadway now, I think you're right. Jewish stories and older generation jukebox musicals. Those seem to be drawing crowds. Anything outside of that is struggling. 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#45KPOP Reviews
Posted: 11/28/22 at 5:39pm

Huss417 said: "RippedMan said: "I just feel like Broadway is going to trend to cater to the Bridge and Tunnel crowd - so lots more old white man jukebox shows and old movies. And interesting works, like this, are going to get side-lined. Sucks."

"

Thank you! Guess what? A lot of us "bridge and tunnel" folks used to live in the city or were born and raised there and then moved away... did our taste in theater suddenly change once we crossed the bridge/tunnel? 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#46KPOP Reviews
Posted: 11/28/22 at 6:08pm

The music is one of the show's strengths and I wished they had marketed the music more before previews started.

Before youtube (I grew up in the 80s/90s),  I recall some new musicals would send a CD promo with 3 songs in it. I remember my family getting one in the mail for Scarlet Pimpernel and I loved listening to the 3 songs again and again! lol. I didn't know who the actors were back then but I knew I wanted to see the show next time I'm in NYC since I really liked the music.

If you look at the older threads on KPOP before previews started, I recall people were asking if there was any place they can listen to the music before going to see the show but none of us really knew since we didn't know which songs they kept or cut from the off-broadway version. I shared my favorite MwE songs sung by Ashley Park and there was the 54Below Helen Park concert but I think that was pretty much it. I do think marketing could have been better. 

Still wishing the best for this show and hopefully they'll make it through the holiday season.

Ensemble1665759202
#47KPOP Reviews
Posted: 11/28/22 at 6:46pm

I'm sorry, did the New York Times really describe the first Broadway show composed by an Asian American as "squint-inducing" in their official review? Unreal.

Updated On: 11/28/22 at 06:46 PM

ElephantLoveMedley
#48KPOP Reviews
Posted: 11/28/22 at 7:04pm

Ensemble1665759202 said: "I'm sorry, did the New York Times really describe the first Broadway show composed by an Asian American as "squint-inducing" in their official review? Unreal."

I know this isn't the point of your post, but I don't believe it's the first Broadway show composed by an Asian-American, as I believe Jay Kuo of Allegiance from a few years ago fits that bill.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#49KPOP Reviews
Posted: 11/28/22 at 7:23pm

Ensemble1665759202 said: "I'm sorry, did the New York Times really describe the first Broadway show composed by an Asian American as "squint-inducing" in their official review? Unreal."

Gross.