Single Favorite Musical Number

Jarethan
#1Single Favorite Musical Number
Posted: 12/3/22 at 5:37pm

This is hard and, in many cases, may be a little arbitrary unless, like me, you have thought about it.  I just find it fascinating to discover others' favorites.

What is your single favorite musical number of anything you have seen in the twentieth century.  One runner-up okay.

-- Production Number:  Mame; Runner up: Who's That Woman 

-- Solo, Duet, etc.:  Jennifer Holliday...And I am Telling You; Runner up: Angela Lansbury...Rose's Turn

What is your single favorite musical number of anything you have seen in the 21st centurey.  Same guidelines.

-- Production Number: (Cheating) Put on Your Sunday Clothes; Runner-up:  Alexander Hamilton

-- Solo, Duet, etc.:  Nathan Lane...Betrayed; Runner up: Lea Michele: Finale Act 2 (from title song through Curtain down).

My answers are bolded.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#2Single Favorite Musical Number
Posted: 12/3/22 at 6:01pm

I don't think I feel comfortable definitively saying that it's my favorite of ALL TIME, but it is hard for me to think of a song and character that are a more perfect encapsulation of who I am than Another Hundred People and Marta/PJ. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#3Single Favorite Musical Number
Posted: 12/3/22 at 6:05pm

"Solidarity" from BILLY ELLIOT will always be, in my opinion, one of the greatest and well-conceived numbers in a musical.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#4Single Favorite Musical Number
Posted: 12/3/22 at 7:52pm

"I don't do sadness'.

Stephanatic

Dollypop
#5Single Favorite Musical Number
Posted: 12/3/22 at 8:13pm

My.memory isn't very good these days but it was sung by a lady coming down a staircase in a red dress.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#6Single Favorite Musical Number
Posted: 12/3/22 at 8:16pm

Non sibi sed patriae

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#7Single Favorite Musical Number
Posted: 12/3/22 at 8:18pm

Montage: Part 4 from A Chorus Line. The greatest piece of chaotic choreography to ever grace a stage.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ManOfLaMuncha
#8Single Favorite Musical Number
Posted: 12/3/22 at 8:29pm

I can't pick one!

"losing my mind" original follies

"one hallowe'en"  applause

"at the ballet" original chorus line

"not a day goes by" from merrily we roll along (which I didn't get to see)

suzycat Profile Photo
suzycat
#9Single Favorite Musical Number
Posted: 12/3/22 at 8:49pm

I don’t know that it’s my all-time favorite but the first thing that popped into my mind was “A Musical” from Something Rotten. The first time I saw that number I was laugh-sobbing in absolute delight. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#10Single Favorite Musical Number
Posted: 12/3/22 at 9:42pm

“24 Hours a Day” from GOLDEN RAINBOW

Markie27 Profile Photo
Markie27
#11Single Favorite Musical Number
Posted: 12/4/22 at 2:59am

I can still remember the day when I first watched “I’ll Cover You (Reprise)” from Rent decades ago… I was sobbing.  True work of art.  

I have two runner ups sorry -

When Big Alison, instead of just being the observer, became part of the narrative when her father, instead of asking Medium Alison if she wanted to drive, turned to her instead… as they sang “Telephone Wire”.  Such a powerful scene from Fun Home.

When The Baker, with all his frustrations to a father he never knew , begins to sing.. “no more questions…please”.  Never fails to make me sob like a baby from Into the Woods.

As for a solo number, in my opinion the best performance I have ever seen is from my Queen Audra with a magnolia on her head singing “God Bless The Child” and “Strange Fruit”.  Truly one of Broadway’s greatest actresses of this generation.  

Updated On: 12/4/22 at 02:59 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#12Single Favorite Musical Number
Posted: 12/4/22 at 8:05am

It's always hard to choose but right now I think I have decided that my single favourite number and piece of music ever written in any genre (both musical and non-musical) has to be the title song of 'Sunday in the Park with George', especially as performed by Bernadette Peters. 

The music is so unusual and unique but also completely beautiful. It goes from the most ridiculously overwhelmingly beautiful introduction as the Park appears - between the piano, strings, woodwinds and that horn melody (it's like complete ecstasy) to then something completely bizarre and rhythmic with Bernadette's unique and odd sound voice going all up and down the scale and navigating a complex set of rhythms, only returning to again the most beautiful, delicate and intimate melodies I've ever heard. Bernadette's voice and facial expressions through "Your Eyes, George" are just so unreal and the emotion that is conveyed here feels so authentic it's like suddenly I feel fully immersed and in touch with this emotion - I get lost in the world and there is no stage or singing anymore.

And when she gets to but most of all I love your "paaaaainnntingggg" there are tears in her eyes.

You might say there is a 'Sondheim' sound and a 'Bernadette' sound but there is also a 'Sondheim & Bernadette' sound that for me feels like the highest quality and unusual tasting dark chocolate or fine wine. And I can't think of a better example of this aesthetic than what is on aural display here. 

Single Favorite Musical NumberNearly 40 years later Bernadette was asked if singing on the Tonys for Sondheim gave a sense of closure. "There is never closure with his music. I want to sing it forever."

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 12/4/22 at 08:05 AM

goodlead2
#13Single Favorite Musical Number
Posted: 12/4/22 at 3:28pm

"Rose's Turn," especially as performed  by Patti Lupone.  I was going to say "sung," but "performed" is more accurate.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#14Single Favorite Musical Number
Posted: 12/4/22 at 4:20pm

I'd have to say "Walk Him Up the Stairs", the opener to "PURLIE". Close second is "I Hope I Get It" from A CHORUS LINE.

Just give the world Love.

bwayobsessed
#15Single Favorite Musical Number
Posted: 12/4/22 at 7:33pm

I think it’s hard to argue with “You Can’t Stop the Beat.” It’s infectious, hummable, danceable, and caps off the theme of the show perfectly. 

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#16Single Favorite Musical Number
Posted: 12/4/22 at 7:41pm

My single favorite number is Sunday (act 1 finale) from the original Sunday in the Park with George.

My single favorite solo/performance - Patti LuPone's last "The Ladies Who Lunch" at Company's final performance on July 31, 2022........  Electrifying 

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#17Single Favorite Musical Number
Posted: 12/4/22 at 8:10pm

The8re phan said: "My single favorite number is Sunday (act 1 finale) from the original Sunday in the Park with George.

My single favorite solo/performance - Patti LuPone's last "The Ladies Who Lunch" at Company's final performance on July 31, 2022........ Electrifying
"

Patti got a very well-earned 3 minute standing O that show and sat there in her fur coat like a Queen. 

For me “Rose’s Turn” will always be my pick. 

MysteriousLady
#18Single Favorite Musical Number
Posted: 12/4/22 at 8:44pm

First song that came to mind was "Hello, Dolly!" so I'll go with that. It has given me so much joy. Runner up: "A little priest" because of the witty word play and the perfect act I finale. 

MemorableUserName
#19Single Favorite Musical Number
Posted: 12/4/22 at 9:11pm

Too many to pick just one, and I'm sure I'll change my mind, but at the moment, my heart says this (as performed by numerous people/no one in particular).

hearthemsing22
#20Single Favorite Musical Number
Posted: 12/5/22 at 8:28pm

“A Musical” from “Something Rotten is pretty brilliant :) 

Updated On: 12/5/22 at 08:28 PM

Videos