pixeltracker

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 20

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#475SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/27/23 at 3:05pm

binau said: "A show with good performances but unnecessary dancing and minimal staging. Sounds like Hamilton to me (is this the new Thomas Kail modus operandi?)"

Who in their right mind is calling Hamilton's staging "minimal" ? o.O There's more to it than just sets, not that Hamilton's set is "minimal" (it's a massive setup and completely changes whatever stage puts it on).

Directors will have their own personal styles, but nothing I have seen so far of Sweeney Todd reminds me specifically of Hamilton. Looking forward to the show next week though!

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#476SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/27/23 at 4:46pm

I would call Hamilton minimal in a technical sense. Unit set. Turntable. Not a ton of extra stuff. 

This is Kail’s first big show after Hamilton and me think he’s not the director for this. You can approach this the same way. It’s a super complex story and a bunch of superfluous dancing doesn’t seem to make sense. I love Hoggat’s work but not sure that style works with Sondheim. 

And also underwhelmed by the design. Seems like a regional set. Don’t make people pay hundreds of dollars to watch actors move the set around on wheels. 

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#477SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/27/23 at 5:01pm

In my opinion the design was absolutely built with touring in mind. Hopefully with the “Best Revival Of A Musical” title from the Tony’s. 

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#478SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/27/23 at 5:26pm

Merch page is live: https://www.broadwaymerchandiseshop.com/collections/sweeney-todd

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Hamilfan2
#479SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/27/23 at 5:33pm

Mike Barrett said: "In my opinion the design was absolutely built with touring in mind. Hopefully with the “Best Revival Of A Musical” title from the Tony’s."

My only question is would they be able to do the bridge on tour?  I know Wicked had to cut theirs for the tour, but also it’s a much less pivotal part of that set design so maybe it just wasn’t worth the hassle for them.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#480SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/27/23 at 6:58pm

While I didn't see the show last night, a detail I found super interesting is that the railing/wall in front of the orchestra pit is a designed piece of scenery, with a grating instead of a solid wall so that you can better see the orchestra in the pit. I also wonder if that effects acoustics? Either way I feel like it's a really clever way to feature the large orchestra.

SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting

Updated On: 2/27/23 at 06:58 PM

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#481SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/27/23 at 7:05pm

The overall feeling is that its not what people wanted it to be. Everyone’s kinda lukewarm towards this production. Hahahaha

JasonC3
#482SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/27/23 at 7:07pm

Broadway Flash said: "The overall feeling is that its not what people wanted it to be. Everyone’s kinda lukewarm towards this production. Hahahaha"

LOL to you since that is not at all what the comments in this thread suggest, but nice try at trolling again.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#483SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/27/23 at 7:46pm

I think we all just expected a BIGGER show and instead we got a Thomas Kail show, which we should have known all along. I'm surprised there's no turntable. 

jimmycurry01
#484SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/27/23 at 7:47pm

Broadway Flash said: "The overall feeling is that its not what people wanted it to be. Everyone’s kinda lukewarm towards this production. Hahahaha"

What comments are you reading? I see mostly raves with a few sprinklings of minor quibbles about the set and Jordan Fisher.

BCfitasafiddle
#485SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/27/23 at 7:48pm

Here's my feelings over people's comments regarding the scale of the set:

I'd rather have the orchestra than more scenery. 

Would I prefer both? Yes. But to experience these actors and this orchestra is gonna fulfill me.

Broadway Flash
#486SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/27/23 at 8:07pm

It’s not just the set and Jordan.  It’s the overall direction people are eh about.  Guess the ball is in Camelot’s court.  

JasonC3
#487SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/27/23 at 8:25pm

Broadway Flash said: "It’s not just the set and Jordan. It’s the overall direction people are eh about. Guess the ball is in Camelot’s court."

Darn.  Guess it will close before the TONYs then. 

Such a shame. So many hopes and dreams dashed once again.

/sarcasm

TheatreMonkey Profile Photo
TheatreMonkey
#488SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/27/23 at 8:43pm

Broadway Flash said: "It’s not just the set and Jordan. It’s the overall direction people are eh about. Guess the ball is in Camelot’s court. "

Some days I really wish there was a "Thumbs Down" option on here ...

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#489SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/27/23 at 8:47pm

Broadway Flash said: "It’s not just the set and Jordan. It’s the overall direction people are eh about. Guess the ball is in Camelot’s court. "

It was the production’s first public performance. A lot can evolve during previews. Your gloating is premature. 

bwayobsessed
#490SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/27/23 at 9:02pm

I have not seen this production (yet) but it seems concerning that people think actors moving scenery on wheels is amateurish and not a design choice. Bigger and glitzier is not always better. I felt like the last revival of Les Miz was hindered by automation-it felt too smooth. If it was moved by actors on wheels it probably would’ve felt more like miserable people. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#491SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/27/23 at 9:07pm

ljay889 said: "Broadway Flash said: "It’s not just the set and Jordan. It’s the overall direction people are eh about. Guess the ball is in Camelot’s court. "

It was the production’s first public performance. A lot can evolve during previews. Your gloating is premature.
"

Its not just premature, its delusional. I have no idea if the show is good or bad, but sounds like Broadway Flash doesnt either. And based on the comments here, its a delusional statement.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#492SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/27/23 at 9:16pm

I saw the original production on Broadway. From what I remember and going back and looking at some footage, the staging is minimal and set pieces were moved around by cast members. The floor and walls were "decorated". The main set piece was the pie shop, parlor and barber chair on top of a unit that they spun around. It had a door on the side where the bodies came out.

I was hoping for minimal staging with this current production. For me, it was perfect as a huge set was not needed. You have a very strong piece to begin with. I thought that minimal staging made certain things stand out. You didn't have a lot to look at except to focus on what was going on. 

Seeing it tomorrow. Going to go in with an open mind even after reading about some of the things that are missing. This is my all time favorite show. It holds a very special place in my heart for a few reasons. I was skeptical about the last Broadway revival with Patti going in but I thought it was brilliant. I am so hoping to enjoy this production. I am a big Annaleigh fan and can't wait to see what she does with the role Not a real Groban "fan" but the man can sing and I expect him to sing this role well. We'll see. I'm excited and scared! lol

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 2/27/23 at 09:16 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#493SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/27/23 at 9:32pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "ljay889 said: "Broadway Flash said: "It’s not just the set and Jordan. It’s the overall direction people are eh about. Guess the ball is in Camelot’s court. "

"

Its not just premature, its delusional. I have no idea if the show is good or bad, but sounds like Broadway Flash doesnt either. And based on the comments here, its a delusional statement.
"

You’re right, it is absolutely delusional. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#494SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/27/23 at 9:46pm

Consider the source of the "delusional" comment, though. It came from someone who, after being presented with several negative and damning facts about Shen Yun, could only reply

"I’ve heard it’s good tho with acrobatics and dancing and a big orchestra "

Probably best to ignore it and move along.

Jimmyb1969
#495SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/27/23 at 9:50pm

Hopefully Annaleigh’s spit the marbles out and they’ve learned how  to position her mic. Red leather yellow leather…

Broadway Flash
#496SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/27/23 at 11:09pm

Look at all of you. One little comment that’s not even negative, and you guys get all worked up. Y’all have no problem hating on bad cinderella, but god forbid someone dislikes the beloved sondheim masterpiece. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#497SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/27/23 at 11:16pm

Are you seriously comparing Bad Cinderella to Sweeney Todd?

elephantseye
#498SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/27/23 at 11:32pm

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "Merch page is live:https://www.broadwaymerchandiseshop.com/collections/sweeney-todd"

Thanks for sharing! I'm annoyed that the tote bag is $10 more expensive on the website than in person, especially given I spent the entirety of intermission yesterday bouncing from merch booth to merch booth trying to purchase one. The whole merch/bar/bathroom situation was simply a chaotic mess.

Broadway Flash

Videos