pixeltracker

ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8

ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:02pm

Broadway news: "Almost Famous," a musical adapted from the film, will close on Jan. 8, two months after it opened.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/19/theater/almost-famous-broadway-closing.html

Updated On: 12/19/22 at 06:02 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:07pm

Sad (for me), but not entirely surprising. Guess I’ll go one last time next week..

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:08pm

Not a shocker, given the mixed-to-negative reviews and consistently soft grosses.

That'll be the end of the fever dog.

Oh look, a bibu!

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#4ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:15pm

Oh wow! Wasn't expecting that. Yeah, I knew it got not-so-good reviews from the critics but sometimes, a show can be critic-proof. Sadly, that is not the case here. I feel bad for the actors and crew. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#5ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:15pm

Not surprised. Poor reviews and word-of-mouth. Wonder what show will be next? Some Like It Hot? 

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ElephantLoveMedley
#6ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:16pm

I enjoyed this show far more than most others on here, but it just lacked that extra quality that would make word of mouth spread. 

Eager to see what Solea does next. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#7ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:18pm

anyone have a discount code?

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#8ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:19pm

ElephantLoveMedley said: Eager to see what Solea does next.

If I were to venture a guess, i'd say Chess

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup
Updated On: 12/19/22 at 06:19 PM

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#9ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:20pm

Or Evita at ART

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#10ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:23pm

The8re phan said: "ElephantLoveMedley said:Eager to see what Solea does next.

If I were aventure a guess, i'd say Chess
"

I’m not a betting man but from what I hear, I’d put a few bucks on that.

amiyagi
#11ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:23pm

No guarantee it would've done better, but is anyone else surprised at the number of musicals that have opened in the fall instead of spring? Almost Famous, SLIH, Akimbo, & Juliet, and Beautiful Noise. Five new musicals opening in the fall vs four in the spring (Shucked, Cinderella, NY NY, Dancin) isn't what we normally see. Usually the spring has more. 

I think & Juliet will make it to the Tonys but it's not outside the realm of possibility that the rest don't. 

It will be interesting to see if the new musicals opening in the spring have more success. 

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#12ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:31pm

Wow! This is definitely not a major surprise yet still pretty shocking and kinda telling about the current state of Broadway right now. The advance must have been non-existent. 

BorisTomashevsky
#13ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:38pm

But will they try to blame someone or will they take it with dignity like every other show in Broadway history did until December 2022? 

chrishuyen
#14ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:39pm

Ack, I was gonna see this in January, but I guess I'm gonna pick up a rush ticket in the next two days before I leave.  I haven't heard great things about the score for this show, but I always feel like it's a shame when shows close before they get a chance to release the album, as that seems to be one of the biggest marketing tools they can use.

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#15ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:39pm

Can we buy out a performance …

BMcGregor
#16ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:42pm

Had tickets for this the following weekend, so pretty bummed. I'm aware of the negative reviews, but its a favorite film of mine and I scheduled a trip knowing I'd regret not having seen this. To miss it by a week is disappointing. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#17ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:47pm

WldKingdomHM said: "Can we buy out a performance …"

THIS! Any names from the original movie available?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#18ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:50pm

Bill Snibson said: "Wow! This is definitely not a major surprise yet still pretty shocking and kinda telling about the current state of Broadway right now. The advance must have been non-existent."

Yeah, I'm really surprised, I thought they would give it more time. Pre Covid, it would have lasted longer. It just opened. 

pablitonizer
#19ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:53pm

amiyagi said: "No guarantee it would've done better, but is anyone else surprised at the number of musicals that have opened in the fall instead of spring? Almost Famous, SLIH, Akimbo, & Juliet, and Beautiful Noise. Five new musicals opening in the fall vs four in the spring (Shucked, Cinderella, NY NY, Dancin) isn't what we normally see. Usually the spring has more.

I think & Juliet will make it to the Tonys but it's not outside the realm of possibility that the rest don't.

It will be interesting to see if the new musicals opening in the spring have more success.
"

You're forgetting Once Upon a One More Time which opens in May 2023!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#20ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8
Posted: 12/19/22 at 6:59pm

Was really hoping this would last until the spring. Haven’t been able to make plans for a trip this winter.

RUkiddingme
#21ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8
Posted: 12/19/22 at 7:01pm

For anyone upset they won't have time to see it before it closes - be glad!  You would be more upset if you paid money to sit through it.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#22ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8
Posted: 12/19/22 at 7:01pm

I guess this frees up Casey Likes for BACK TO THE FUTURE

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

amiyagi
#23ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8
Posted: 12/19/22 at 7:04pm

pablitonizer said: "amiyagi said: "No guarantee it would've done better, but is anyone else surprised at the number of musicals that have opened in the fall instead of spring? Almost Famous, SLIH, Akimbo, & Juliet, and Beautiful Noise. Five new musicals opening in the fall vs four in the spring (Shucked, Cinderella, NY NY, Dancin) isn't what we normally see. Usually the spring has more.

"

You're forgetting Once Upon a One More Time which opens in May 2023!
"

I didn't forget it. While it is technically opening in the spring, it's opening after this season's Tony cut-off and will be considered part of the 2023-2024 season. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#24ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8
Posted: 12/19/22 at 7:04pm

amiyagi said: "No guarantee it would've done better, but is anyone else surprised at the number of musicals that have opened in the fall instead of spring? Almost Famous, SLIH, Akimbo, & Juliet, and Beautiful Noise. Five new musicals opening in the fall vs four in the spring (Shucked, Cinderella, NY NY, Dancin) isn't what we normally see. Usually the spring has more.

"

There could possibly (and unfortunately) be a world in which none of the musicals that open(ed) this season make it to the award homestretch.

The Tonys are becoming more and more irrelevant every year to the general public, and while it was true pre-COVID that most new shows end up financial flops, nearly all the newer shows coming out of the shutdown open and close in an eyeblink.

If I were to guess, Some Like It Hot is the next big musical to close… I’d say January 15. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 12/19/22 at 07:04 PM

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#25ALMOST FAMOUS closing on January 8
Posted: 12/19/22 at 7:19pm

quizking101 said: "I guess this frees up Casey Likes for BACK TO THE FUTURE"

I think of him every time I hear the cast recording. I think he would be ideal for Marty. 

Videos