pixeltracker

2023 Olivier Award Nominations Discussion Page- Page 2

2023 Olivier Award Nominations Discussion Page

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#252023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/24/23 at 10:29am

If Streetcar is eligible I would not count out Paul Mescal.

SouthernCakes
#262023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/24/23 at 11:21am

BETTY22 said: "I am rooting for The Band's Visit"

Is it the same production as Broadway? Would love to know the difference. 

MadsonMelo
#272023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 2/23/23 at 11:56am

I shortlisted these 10 actresses and 15 actors that likely has the biggest chances at noms:

Jodie Comer - Prima Facie
Anne-Marie Duff - The House of Shades
Noma Dumezweni - A Doll’s House Part 2
Emma Corrin - Orlando
Indira Varma/Emília Clarke - The Seagull
Sophie Melville - Iphigenia in Splott
Liz Kingsman - One Woman Show
Patsy Ferran - A Streetcar Named Desire
Nicola Walker - The Corn is Green
Katherine Parkinson - Much Ado About Nothing

Bertie Carvel - The 47th
David Tennant - Good
Ian McKellen - Mother Goose
Rafe Spall - To Kill a Mockingbird 
Paul Mescal - A Streetcar Named Desire
Jonathan Bailey - Cock
Giles Terera/Paul Hilton - Othello
Shubham Saraf - The Father and the Assassin
Tom Hollander - Patriots
Kit Harrington - Henry V
Sam Troughton - Closer
Wil Johnson - Jitney
David Harbour - Mad House
Rob Madge - My Son’s a Queer (But What Can You Do?)

Again, dont know if I’m missing anyone.

I would say those are my predictions as of now:

Jodie Comer - Prima Facie
Anne-Marie Duff - The House of Shades
Emma Corrin - Orlando
Indira Varma - The Seagull

Alt.: Sophie Melville - Iphigenia in Splott or Patsy Ferran - A Streetcar Named Desire

Bertie Carvel - The 47th
David Tennant - Good
Ian McKellen - Mother Goose
Rafe Spall - To Kill a Mockingbird 

Alt.: Paul Mescal - A Streetcar Named Desire / Giles Terera - Othello

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#282023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 2/28/23 at 10:32am

Nominations are in!

https://instagram.com/olivierawards?igshid=NzAzN2Q1NTE=

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#292023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 2/28/23 at 10:42am

Dylan Smith4 said: "Nominations are in!

https://instagram.com/olivierawards?igshid=NzAzN2Q1NTE=
"

Maybe just me but I find it difficult to follow. 

This was easier for me. 

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2023/feb/28/olivier-awards-2023-complete-list-of-nominations

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
Updated On: 2/28/23 at 10:42 AM

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#302023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 2/28/23 at 10:48am

I assume it is The Band's Visit's to lose for Best Musical, right?

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

hearthemsing22
#312023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 2/28/23 at 10:53am

I am so glad I already have a ticket for Prima Facie since it seems Jodie is going to sweep the awards season! 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#322023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 2/28/23 at 10:53am

I’m sad I didn’t get to see “Band’s Visit” and still angry I won’t get to “Streetcar”. 2023 Olivier Award Predictions

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#332023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 2/28/23 at 11:19am

Wait, is My Fair Lady the ONLY West End musical that's nominated for best revival or best new Musical?

If that's true, that's pretty wild...

I'm looking back through the past several years and it's definitely not normal for there to be so few West End shows!

steve.sometime
#342023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 2/28/23 at 11:30am

fashionguru_23 said: "I assume it is The Band's Visit's to lose for Best Musical, right?"

It seems the UK critics are mostly lukewarm about The Band's Visit, as much as I want it to win, I think Standing at the Sky’s Edge is the front runner.

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#352023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 2/28/23 at 11:33am

fashionguru_23 said: "I assume it is The Band's Visit's to lose for Best Musical, right?"

Hard to say, Tammy Faye and Standing at the Sky's Edge got great reviews

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#362023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 2/28/23 at 11:37am

steve.sometime said: "fashionguru_23 said: "I assume it is The Band's Visit's to lose for Best Musical, right?"

It seems the UK critics are mostly lukewarm about The Band's Visit, as much as I want it to win, I thinkStanding at the Sky’s Edge is the front runner.
"

I mean, it got mostly 4 and 5* reviews from the major newspapers and received 6 Olivier nominations, "lukewarm" is a bit of a stretch. But agreed on Sky's Edge

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#372023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 2/28/23 at 12:31pm

For me, the best of the musicals is Standing at the Sky's Edge, with Tammy Faye not far behind.

Oklahoma for revival of a musical.

Owen22
#382023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 2/28/23 at 12:46pm

How did I miss all of these new plays (seeing Patriots when there soon though)? Though I'm glad I did because I would bet I'd be legitimately up in arms that some of these are there instead of the Old Vic's Eureka Day! Minus this (and the lack of Seagull nominations) the list is okay. I would definitely swap out the Prima Facie director for the Oklahoma! director Daniel Fish, however. I wish the Olivier's would delineate between best play director and best musical director...

FLarnhill Profile Photo
FLarnhill
#392023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 2/28/23 at 12:57pm

Yeah Jodie's in trouble. Prima Facie underperformed compared to Totoro and Streetcar and it came out way too long ago. Ferran seems to be the favorite here. Better luck next time.

Updated On: 2/28/23 at 12:57 PM

MadsonMelo
#402023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 2/28/23 at 1:03pm

The love for ''Totoro'' is pretty big, right? I wonder if there's a chance of coming to New York, that and this revival of ''Streetcar'', that I would give a liver to see live. Paul Mescal is the favorite to win, right? He has to be.

They also really loved ''Prima Facie'', there's no competition to Jodie Comer, but ''To Kill a Mockingbird'' is gonna do there what was unable to do at the Tonys, get the big prize.

I see no reason to ''Standing at the Sky's Edge'' to lose when got more noms, include a director one, and it's a UK original musical, instead of a import like ''Band's Visit''.

''Oklahoma!'' also has no competition.

I don't know about the Lead Actor winner in musical, but I believe Katie Brayden still is the favorite to Actress.

Will Keen and Pamela Nomvete for featured in a play, and Beverley Knight in featured in a musical, I guess.

yyys
#412023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 2/28/23 at 1:05pm

Was Bonnie and Clyde eligible? 

MadsonMelo
#422023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 2/28/23 at 1:12pm

yyys said: "Was Bonnie and Clyde eligible?"

Yes

Amy Archer
#432023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 2/28/23 at 1:53pm

FLarnhill said: "Yeah Jodie's in trouble. Proms Facie underperformed compared to Totoro and Streetcar and it came out way too long ago. Ferran seems to be the favorite here. Better luck next time."

Five nominations for a one woman show is not underperforming, and I really do question your motives and affiliations for this post and others you have made. Prima received nominations for Best Play, Best Actress, Best Director, Best Sound Design and Best Lighting Design. The only thing it missed where it stood a chance was set design. 

FLarnhill Profile Photo
FLarnhill
#442023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 2/28/23 at 2:52pm

Amy Archer said: "FLarnhill said: "Yeah Jodie's in trouble. Proms Facie underperformed compared to Totoro and Streetcar and it came out way too long ago. Ferran seems to be the favorite here. Better luck next time."

Five nominations for a one woman show is not underperforming, and I really do question your motives and affiliations for this post and others you have made. Prima received nominations for Best Play, Best Actress, Best Director, Best Sound Design and Best Lighting Design. The only thing it missed where it stood a chance was set design.
"

1) Sorry for the misspell. Wanted to get that one out fast I forgot to proofread.

2) I do want her to win but the show did come out nearly a year before these noms and the two actresses have also been acclaimed, especially Ferran in one of the most iconic roles in stage history

3) Regarding the underperforming, I made a slight mistake. I assumed Book was also a category and it lost that. But that doesn't even exist (for some reason). So I guess it did get as much as it could. That said, voters usually do get biased seeing the number of noms a play gets, regardless of the context.

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#452023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 2/28/23 at 6:09pm

So happy for Paul Mescal and Andrew.

Updated On: 2/28/23 at 06:09 PM

JSquared2
#462023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 2/28/23 at 6:26pm

FLarnhill said: "Yeah Jodie's in trouble. Prima Facie underperformed compared to Totoro and Streetcar and it came out way too long ago. Ferran seems to be the favorite here. Better luck next time."

You sound ridiculous, and yeah -- a pretty obvious "anti-shill" working for another show.

whatever2
#472023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 2/28/23 at 9:52pm

> I see no reason to ''Standing at the Sky's Edge'' to lose when got more noms, include a director one, and it's a UK original musical, instead of a import like ''Band's Visit''.

Have to agree. I travel to the UK frequently, but stumbled upon this during my most recent visit -- and i bless the theatre gods who guided me there. I was floored by how good it was. I'm surprised it hasn't gotten any mention on these boards. It's absolutely brilliant on every level - stunning set, superb ensemble cast, clever story line, compelling music. It's the real deal.

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

FLarnhill Profile Photo
FLarnhill
#482023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 2/28/23 at 10:07pm

JSquared2 said: "FLarnhill said: "Yeah Jodie's in trouble. Prima Facie underperformed compared to Totoro and Streetcar and it came out way too long ago. Ferran seems to be the favorite here. Better luck next time."

You sound ridiculous, and yeah -- a pretty obvious "anti-shill" working for another show.
"

You're reading way too much onto my post. I refuse to continue this any longer.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#492023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 3/2/23 at 9:25am

The Olivier Awards are going to look at the gendered catagories. It will be interesting to see what comes of this, and would that be a framwork for the Tony's?

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/The-Olivier-Awards-to-Review-Gendered-Categories-20230302

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone