pixeltracker

2023 Olivier Award Nominations Discussion Page

2023 Olivier Award Nominations Discussion Page

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#12023 Olivier Award Nominations Discussion Page
Posted: 1/13/23 at 1:31pm

I don't know if anyone started a thread yet for this year, but for what shows do you think will get nominated this season? 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince
Updated On: 2/28/23 at 01:31 PM

JSquared2
#22023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/13/23 at 1:44pm

I would think Jodie Comer is the favorite to win Best Actress for PRIMA FACIE.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#32023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/13/23 at 1:52pm

Other than Newsies, I can't think of another musical that could be nominated. Does anyone know what is eligible? Ain't Too Proud doesn't opne until the end of March, which leaves no time for nominations.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#42023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/13/23 at 1:59pm

Is Newsies at Wembley Park Theatre Eligible? Curious how that will do. As well as Bonnie and Clyde, interestingly both shows premiered in the same Broadway season nearly 11 years ago. To Kill a Mockingbird will also be eligible, considering they are already on their 2nd Atticus replacement I wonder if Rafe Spall will even be nominated.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 1/13/23 at 01:59 PM

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#52023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/13/23 at 2:09pm

fashionguru_23 said: "Other than Newsies, I can't think of another musical that could be nominated. Does anyone know what is eligible? Ain't Too Proud doesn't opne until the end of March, which leaves no time for nominations."

The following are all of the New musicals that I think are eligible for this years awards:

• 101 Dalmations
  • Allegiance
  • Bonnie & Clyde
  • Mandela
  • Newsies
  • Tammy Faye
  • The Band's Visit
  • The Great British Bake Off

Of which none currently have open ended runs, and only 1, The Great British Bake Off, will actually be playing at a West End theater during the time of the ceremony. 

Updated On: 1/13/23 at 02:09 PM

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#62023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/13/23 at 2:21pm

bdn223, thanks for the list. I forgot about all of those.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#72023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/13/23 at 3:42pm

I don't believe Bake Off will be eligible - last year the eligibility date cut-off was February 22nd. Bake Off doesn't begin previews until Feb 25th. Allegiance is at Charing Cross theatre - not a SOLT venue, so also ineligible I believe. I think Tammy Faye is the one to beat.

I'd be predicting Jodie Comer and Katie Brayben for the best actress in Play/Musical respectively.

Revival I'd be pinning for Oklahoma. To Kill a Mockingbird for Play.

Then again, the Oliviers are weird. They will often go with nominating names/celebrities whilst forgetting others. The pool to choose from is also much bigger, due to it including lot's of smaller SOLT venues such as Young Vic/Almeida/Donmar etc.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#82023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/13/23 at 4:47pm

For musicals, Tammy Faye has to be a lock for best actress otherwise I would hope and expect The Band’s Visit to sweep the other important awards.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

KevinKlawitter
#92023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/14/23 at 11:03am

I expect Bertie Carvel will be a strong contender for his performance as Donald Trump in The 47th.

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#102023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/22/23 at 6:07am

Is Streetcar eligible? Astonishing reviews?

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#112023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/22/23 at 7:27am

UWS10023 said: "Is Streetcar eligible? Astonishing reviews?"

It is

BETTY22
#122023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/22/23 at 10:51am

I am rooting for The Band's Visit

Dylan Smith4
#132023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/22/23 at 11:11am

I definitely think Jodie Comer is locked in for Best Actress, but she probably won't be in London for the ceremony because she’ll be performing on Broadway by that time. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#142023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/22/23 at 12:44pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "I definitely think Jodie Comer is locked in for Best Actress, but she probably won't be in London for the ceremony because she’ll be performing on Broadway by that time."

Jodie Comer Best Actress for PRIMA FACIE
Dude the Olivier Awards are Sunday April 2 - PF starts April 11 on Broadway of course she'll be there to accept her award!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 1/22/23 at 12:44 PM

Dylan Smith4
#152023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/22/23 at 1:40pm

Sorry, I must've gotten the dates mixed up in my head. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#162023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/22/23 at 2:44pm

Yeah, Comer is a lock and well deserved lock, at that. The only show from the list posted above that I had to miss was "Band's Visit", sadly . Seeing "Allegiance" and "Bake Off" in 5 weeks and I'm a bit more excited for "Bake Off" than I think I should be. Just seems silly and fun which is always nice in the middle of so many serious things.

But production-wise, "Newsies" seems like it should be in a great position because it really is a remarkable, almost immersive experience they've set up there. Choreography at least is theirs with no question about it.

Some really great performances in "Mandela" and it wouldn't surprise me if Michael Luwoye took Actor in a musical for it. The word of mouth on that one really surprises me because walking out of the preview I saw, I really thought it would be something people would love but I was wrong.

MadsonMelo
#172023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/22/23 at 3:05pm

Question: will Jodie Comer be the first actor to win both the Olivier and the Tony at the same year, especially for the same performance?

I think Noma Dumezweni, Patsy Ferran and Emma Corrin will the other nominees in her category, with Anne Marie Duffy as a potential spoiler. Anyone else has a chance?

Jeff Tupolski Profile Photo
Jeff Tupolski
#182023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/22/23 at 3:38pm

If I’m missing anyone, feel free to add on, but I think only Janet McTeer and Eddie Redmayne have won both in the same year. The former for A Doll’s House, the latter for Red.

steve.sometime
#192023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/22/23 at 3:46pm

Does anyone know productions from which theatres qualify for Olivier Awards? Googling the eligibility, I got:

"Any new production that opened between 21 February 2022 and 14 February 2023 in a theatre represented in membership of the Society of London Theatre was eligible for consideration for the Olivier Awards"

But I can't find a list of theatres on the official website of Society of London Theatre or on Wikipedia.

Edit: grammar fix.

Updated On: 1/22/23 at 03:46 PM

imeldasturn
#202023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/22/23 at 3:52pm

Jeff Tupolski said: "If I’m missing anyone, feel free to add on, but I think only Janet McTeer and Eddie Redmayne have won both in the same year. The former for A Doll’s House, the latter for Red."

Lindsay Duncan for Privates Lives in 2002 too, I think

imeldasturn
#212023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/22/23 at 3:55pm

steve.sometime said: "Does anyone know productions from which theatres qualify for Olivier Awards? Googling the eligibility, I got:

"Any new production that opened between 21 February 2022 and 14 February 2023 in a theatre represented in membership of the Society of London Theatrewas eligible for consideration for the Olivier Awards"

But I can't find a list of theatres on the official website of Society of London Theatreor on Wikipedia.

Edit: grammar fix.
"

https://solt.co.uk/about-london-theatre/solt-member-theatres/

steve.sometime
#222023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/23/23 at 9:45am

Thanks, imeldasturn! So,

1. Of the 39 West End theatres, one is not eligible for Olivier:

•    @sohoplace

2. 10 big non-West End theatres are eligible, including some opera houses:

•    Barbican Theatre
  •    London Coliseum
  •    National Theatre
  •    Regent's Park Open Air
  •    Royal Court (Jerwood Theatre Downstairs)
  •    Royal Opera House
  •    Sadler's Wells
  •    Shakespeare's Globe
  •    The Old Vic
  •    Troubadour Wembley Park

Please correct me if I'm wrong, these 6 will compete in the play & musical categories:

•    National Theatre
  •    Regent's Park Open Air
  •    Royal Court (Jerwood Theatre Downstairs)
  •    Shakespeare's Globe
  •    The Old Vic
  •    Troubadour Wembley Park

3. 10 small affiliate theatres that compete in the main categories

•    Almeida Theatre
  •    Arts Theatre
  •    Donmar Warehouse
  •    Hampstead Theatre
  •    Kiln Theatre
  •    Lyric Hammersmith Theatre
  •    Orange Tree Theatre
  •    Riverside Studios
  •    The Other Palace
  •    Young Vic

So for example, Allegiance playing at Charing Cross Theatre should be non-eligible.

MadsonMelo
#232023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/23/23 at 1:53pm

bdn223 said: "fashionguru_23 said: "Other than Newsies, I can't think of another musical that could be nominated. Does anyone know what is eligible? Ain't Too Proud doesn't opne until the end of March, which leaves no time for nominations."

The following are all of the New musicals that I think are eligible for this years awards:

• 101 Dalmations
  • Allegiance
  • Bonnie & Clyde
  • Mandela
  • Newsies
  • Tammy Faye
  • The Band's Visit
  • The Great British Bake Off

Of which none currently have open ended runs, and only 1,The Great British Bake Off, will actually be playing at a West End theater during the time of the ceremony."

Out of these, I would say The Band's Visit, Tammy Faye and Newsies are very likely nominees. Last slot is up for me.

theaterdarling
#242023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/24/23 at 9:05am

Since Almeida productions qualify, I'd say both Tom Hollander and Will Keen get nominations for Best/Actor Drama for Patriots. Even those critics who thought the play could be better rhapsodized about these performances and lauded the production overall. Hollander was robbed of an Olivier (as well as Tony) for Travesties so just give it to him (deservedly according to reviews) for Patriots and I'm sure apology will be accepted. Of course, Paul Mescal might suck all the air out of this category as seems to be the "It Boy" of the moment.

Peter Morgan did get nominations for his previous plays, Frost/Nixon and The Audience, so seems he might be nominated as well, though given huge success of The Crown, his fellow countrymen might want to slap him down to size and ignore him. I want to punish him for driving The Crown into a ditch in season 5. 

Rupert Goold is nominated for this as well? Or, for something-- Tammy Fay? The 47th? He has had a very good year.

I'm surprised no one weighed in on Patriots in any thread as it did extremely well during its summer run-- it was apparently the fastest sell out the Almedia ever had. Moving to the Noel Coward this summer and given its subject matter, Peter Morgan's track record and Sonia Friedman's involvement hope it is in NY in 2024.

Updated On: 1/24/23 at 09:05 AM

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#252023 Olivier Award Predictions
Posted: 1/24/23 at 10:29am

If Streetcar is eligible I would not count out Paul Mescal.