News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Chavkin-directed GATSBY musical from Welch and Majok to premiere in 2024- Page 11

Chavkin-directed GATSBY musical from Welch and Majok to premiere in 2024

willep
#250Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/10/24 at 12:05pm

I hope to finally catch it. Was sad to miss it the last time.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#251Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/10/24 at 12:28pm

hearthemsing22 said: "Whoa can we go back a minute- GATZ is 6 1/2 hours????? Anyone on this thread have plans to see it?"

Yup, it's pretty much your day.  I believe it's treated very much like how HP was originally, intermissions and a dinner break. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#252Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/10/24 at 12:56pm

There are basically two schools of thought for critics attending an out of town tryout:

• Get the New York critics to see it and weigh in to get a sense of what they love and hate, to inform revisions.
  • A first impression can only be made once. If the creative team and commercial producers view this as a work in progress and intend to mount it elsewhere prior to Broadway, they may not want the critics to weigh in yet. These are smart people who should be able to identify strengths and weaknesses without a critical consensus (especially if this is just step one of its development).

As far as local critics are concerned, Don Aucoin of the Boston Globe doesn't exactly have the critical authority that producers want to listen to, as opposed to someone like Chris Jones (Chicago) or Charles McNulty (LA) or, previously, Peter Marks (DC).

It is weird that an amateur review would be removed from Reddit unless removed by the original poster. That's just a freedom of speech thing, not a journalistic integrity thing. If you buy a ticket to a public performance, it's within your right to comment (see: Frank Rich or Michael Riedel buying tix to early previews).

Updated On: 6/10/24 at 12:56 PM

DaveyG
#253Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/10/24 at 1:29pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "There are basically two schools of thought for critics attending an out of town tryout:

• Get the New York critics to see it and weigh in to geta sense of what theylove and hate, to inform revisions.
  • A first impression can only be made once. If the creative team and commercial producers view this as a work in progress and intend to mount it elsewhere prior to Broadway,they may not want the critics to weigh in yet. These are smart people whoshouldbe able to identify strengths and weaknesses without a critical consensus (especially if this is just step one of its development).

As far as local critics are concerned, Don Aucoin of the Boston Globe doesn't exactly have the critical authority that producers want to listen to, as opposed to someone like Chris Jones (Chicago)or Charles McNulty (LA) or, previously, Peter Marks (DC).

It is weird that an amateur review would be removed from Reddit unless removed by the original poster. That's just a freedom of speech thing, not a journalistic integrity thing. If you buy a ticket to a public performance, it's within your right to comment (see: Frank Rich or Michael Riedel buying tix to early previews).
"

I was under the impression that you can't stop professional critics from writing a review. If they're not invited, they can just buy their own ticket. Being that this is such a high profile production, I'm really surprised the Boston Globe hasn't weighed in yet. 

I would think that most producers would try to stop out of town critics from writing about their show if they could. Why take the risk of getting panned? 

Updated On: 6/10/24 at 01:29 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#254Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/10/24 at 1:36pm

DaveyG said: "I was under the impression that you can't stop professional critics from writing a review. If they're not invited, they can just buy their own ticket. Being that this is such a high profile production, I'm really surprised the Boston Globe hasn't weighed in yet.

I would think that most producers would try to stop out of town critics from writing about their show if they could. Why take the risk of getting panned?
"

Yes, any critic could purchase tickets, but critics and press agents are close collaborators with a lot of handshake agreements. IF the theatre says "we'd really like you not to review this for XYZ reason," most critics with integrity will respect the embargo. Boston's a tiny theatre community and it wouldn't be great for the A.R.T. and the Boston Globe to be on bad terms with each other.

But it's also running through August 3. They might simply be waiting to invite critics to a later performance.

Some producers would prefer to get panned out of town and then not come into New York, or use that pan to revise substantially prior to Broadway. It's hard to come back from a pan, but it can be a wake-up call or a moment to reevaluate plans.

Updated On: 6/10/24 at 01:36 PM

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#256Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/11/24 at 4:42pm

A friend is bailing on tomorrow's 2p matinee, so I have an extra ticket to sell at face value. Front row center, $43 including fees, and I have the PDF to forward. PM me if interested.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#257Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/14/24 at 8:25am

‘Gatsby’ Review: A Smartly Stinging Musical Adaptation With Spectacle, Grit and Florence Welch Tunes

https://variety.com/2024/legit/reviews/gatsby-review-musical-florence-welch-american-repertory-theater-1236037189/

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#258Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/14/24 at 9:31am

This sounds promising. 

Terry Byrne, The Boston Globe: Full disclosure: The Great Gatsby was not my favorite Fitzgerald novel. Nick's narration always kept me at arm's length from what seemed to me shallow, grasping characters. But Majok, who writes so eloquently of striving and struggle when the odds are stacked against you, finds the complex center of these individuals, digging into the desires that drive them. And Welch and Bartlett tap into Welch's uncanny ability to tell stories in songs that build to sweeping vocal crescendos while imbuing lyrics with tender emotion. The songs amplify Majok's storytelling, which plays fast, but not too loose, with Fitzgerald's text, following through on suggestions of Nick's homosexuality, making the golfer Jordan more interesting with her own gender fluidity, and heightening the tension between Tom and Daisy and the raw, physical desire between both Tom and Myrtle and Daisy and Gatsby.

Review Roundup: GATSBY Makes its World Premiere at A.R.T. (broadwayworld.com)

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

bear88
#259Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/14/24 at 9:52am

TaffyDavenport said: "‘Gatsby’ Review: A Smartly Stinging Musical Adaptation With Spectacle, Grit and Florence Welch Tunes

https://variety.com/2024/legit/reviews/gatsby-review-musical-florence-welch-american-repertory-theater-1236037189/
"

The producers couldn’t have asked for a more glowing review than that.

dramamama611
#260Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/14/24 at 12:47pm

Wow (to the review). I'm really hating that I went so early in the run  (only the first official preview), and missed what seems like a lot. I've not felt like that before from a preview 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

barcelona20
#261Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/14/24 at 1:09pm

dramamama611 said: "Wow (to the review). I'm really hating that I went so early in the run (only the first official preview), and missed what seems like a lot. I've not felt like that before from a preview"

Same! And how about those ticket prices for the remaining performances!?

dramamama611
#262Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/14/24 at 1:19pm

Indeed....I just went to look!   (Maybe I'll wait to see if they extend again!)

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#263Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/14/24 at 2:57pm

Does anyone know if they're selling Standing Room SRO for this?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#264Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/15/24 at 1:06am

TheaterMania has a more mixed appraisal:

Florence Welch and Martyna Majok’s New Gatsby Musical Sizzles as It Fizzles

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#265Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/15/24 at 4:51pm

This show's score is jawdropping, oh my god. Though I love Welch's work, I was a little worried that her poetic tendencies would struggle to cohere over an entire evening of musical plotting, but it's so thoroughly enveloping and of a piece that it feels monumental. I do think the last thirty minutes could use some finessing, somehow it just doesn't quite cohere dramatically ("The Damage That You Do" is too lyrically on-the-nose), but America She Breaks is a great payoff for the increased roles of George and Myrtle and his "Ladies and gentlemen" refrain gave me chills.

Jarethan
#266Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/15/24 at 5:14pm

I read three knock-down raves for the show and a decidedly mixed one from Theatremania.  It will be very interesting to see what they decide to do post-ART.  In every scenario but one, you would expect them to book a Broadway theatre (if they had not already).  Unfortunately, they are dealing with the one scenario that creates problems... an inferior version beat them to the punch and is doing respectively at the box office). 

I guess that London would be the best move...Build some time between productions and hope for acclaim that they can leveraged here.

I see it July 9th and can't wait. 

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#267Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/21/24 at 11:50am

Brendon Henderson of "Wait in the Wings" gives a spoiler filled analysis of ART's Gatsby. He argues that Myrtle has been fleshed out at the expense of the other characters. 

A Tale of Two Gatsby (Musicals)... - YouTube

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

barcelona20
#268Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/21/24 at 12:36pm

Jarethan said: "I read three knock-down raves for the show and a decidedly mixed one from Theatremania. It will be very interesting to see what they decide to do post-ART. In every scenario but one, you would expect them to book a Broadway theatre (if they had not already). Unfortunately, they are dealing with the one scenario that creates problems... an inferior version beat them to the punch and is doing respectively at the box office).

I guess that London would be the best move...Build some time between productions and hope for acclaim that they can leveraged here.

I see it July 9th and can't wait.
"

Other less positive reviews, which I don't think will matter. I'd be surprised if it's not Broadway bound.

https://www.wbur.org/news/2024/06/14/gatsby-american-repertory-theater-review

https://artsfuse.org/293836/theater-review-the-a-r-t-s-not-so-great-gatsby/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gatsby-review-rachel-chavkin-florence-welch-bb967c21?mod=WTRN_pos5&cx_testId=3&cx_testVariant=cx_160&cx_artPos=4

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#269Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 7/6/24 at 11:50pm

I cannot even begin to tell you how much I enjoyed this show and haven’t stopped thinking about it for a full 24 hours. Haunting, fantastical, catchy, goosebump inducing. An adaptation that finally stresses the themes of American optimism and how the desire for more can often lead you down a path that’s not best for you… or anyone. Beefing up Myrtle’s role to act as a strong foil for Daisy makes a ton of sense, given their wealth difference ties in to what themes the adaptation decided to focus on. The score is jaw dropping at times, particularly Wolfsheim’s song in Act 1.

Act 2 is so tense and doesn’t let you exhale, even until the very last second. The whole show is laced with bitterness, highlighting the cracks in the china and the labor under the glamor.  Solea Pfiffer will be snatching a Tony, there is no way anyone else can stop her.

Current Broadway Gatsby needs to close so this can move in. It’s just too good. The world needs to see this piece.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#270Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 7/7/24 at 12:07am

The other Gatsby is not stopping this one from moving in.  And that Gatsby is going to run on broadway for years, it’s selling very well. 

NEC2412
#271Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 7/7/24 at 12:17am

I’m sorry to infringe on the Broadway Board as I have already posted on Buy/Sell but…

I’m selling 1 tickets to ART Gatsby 

Gatsby
Tue 07/09/2024 7:30 PM
Loeb Drama Center

Zone B
EE-21

Selling for 80 even - Dm me please

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#272Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 7/7/24 at 10:55am

Broadway Flash said: "The other Gatsby is not stopping this one from moving in. And that Gatsby is going to run on broadway for years, it’s selling very well."

It isn't really. Being in the million dollar club is good. But, it's a lot less good when you're in a 1700-seat theatre. They're selling a ton of tickets at TKTS and that's just not sustainable for a long run. 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#273Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 7/7/24 at 12:06pm

People buy full price tickets too. It has the long runner model for a show. I know many of you have been rooting for this shows demise, but you need to change your perception and understand that the show will be running for quite some time, it’s the new Moulin Rogue.  I’m sure Jordan Roth will bide their time and come in when the time is right. 

Jarethan
#274Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 7/10/24 at 12:09pm

I saw this show last night.  Fifth row center orchestra for $94 (although I am a donor, so that may be a factor in the price).

It was really a great production.  I don't know where to start, but on reflection, I think the book is the right place.  It IS The Great Gatsby brought to life on stage.  The minor changes that were made to me represented an improvement on the book, e.g.,increasing the size of Myrtle's role to make her more sympathetic, not making Daisy so vapid, giving a little more background on Gatsby.  My first reaction to the final scene was 'aw c'mon', but I bought it by the end of the scene...further illustration of why Gatsby felt like such an outsider.  I already think this is one of the best books in a musical ever.  

Then there is Chavkin's direction and the visual look of the show.  In a word. spectacular.  I would say it exceeds anything of hers I have seen before, e.g., Hadestown, Great Comet, Indecent, which -- despite not a long list -- is a very impressive list.   I don't know who came up with the concept for the sets and costumes (I assume it was Chavkin, but maybe not), but they were absolutely perfect, splendor sharing the stage with decay. .  All the splendor was mired in dirt and decay.  Visually stunning to look at and right on the mark.

The performances were excellent across the board.  I agree that Solea Pfeiffer was outstanding in what was arguably the best role in the show.  That said, I thought that Isaac Powell was absolute perfection.  We waited quite a while for him to appear and he didn't disappoint once he did.  One felt genuine sadness for his character every step of the way...his longing was palpable.  While everyone was excellent, I would also single out the actor who played Myrtle's husband.  Really excellent, with a beautiful voice.  I lost the little program (currently on crutches), so I do not remember his name, but he really shined in a modest role.  But, as I think of it, the actors who played Nick, Daisy and Jordan were also perfect.  

Finally, the score.  I have to say that on a number of occasions I have failed to appreciate a score on first hearing.  This is true of both ALNM and SITHWG, both among Sondheim's top tier of scores (of course, the top tier is quite large).  I felt that the music worked for the show, but I will need to listen to the eventual cast recording a few times to truly form an opinion of the overall score as well as individual components.  (The first time I saw the two Sondheim musicals I referenced, I really didn't like the shows or appreciate the music; once I became familiar with the music, I loved the shows).  I imagine that will be the case here.

As would be expected, the show is very dark.  I am not sure that this will ever fall into the monster hit category because of that darkness.  I also think this would fare better in a modestly sized theatre, e.g., the Broadhurst rather than, say, the Lunt Fontanne, and please God not something like the Broadway.  I also suspect that, other than the type of people on this board, it will not be subject to repeat visits.

Given that the other Gatsby, which I have not seen, is doing better than expected on Broadway, it probably would make sense to premiere this in London, to distance it from the other one.  If it proves to be the critical success that I would expect it to be, it would have the advantage of eventually coming into NY with a London success under its belt and distance from the current version, which I still don't imagine will run that long.  

Just a great night in the theatre!

Updated On: 7/10/24 at 12:09 PM

Videos