News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Chavkin-directed GATSBY musical from Welch and Majok to premiere in 2024- Page 10

Chavkin-directed GATSBY musical from Welch and Majok to premiere in 2024

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#225Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 5/27/24 at 7:24pm

I always assumed (for no actual reason), this would go to the UK to continue its development. Build its prestige a bit. 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#226Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 5/27/24 at 7:34pm

binau said: "With Gatsby already open on Broadway what would the hypothetical long-term plans be for this production?"

It will be interesting to see how the 6 hour Gatz at the Public does this Fall.  It's very limited and in a small theatre, but they've still got to find enough people willing to make the commitment. 

After a while you do start to wonder just how interesting even is this story that it needs so many tellings?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#227Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 5/27/24 at 8:56pm

inception said: "binau said: "With Gatsby already open on Broadway what would the hypothetical long-term plans be for this production?"

It will be interesting to see how the 6 hour Gatz at the Public does this Fall. It's very limited and in a small theatre, but they've still got to find enough people willing to make the commitment.

After a while you do start to wonder just how interesting even is this story that itneeds so many tellings?
"

Gatz is a known quantity, though. This is I believe it's third engagement in NYC and second at the Public in the last 15 years and it's been done for almost twenty years at this point. It's kind of its own thing at this point.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

bear88
#228Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 5/28/24 at 1:11am

Gatz was the last show I saw before the pandemic shutdown when it played at the Berkeley Rep. That was a unique experience. My guess is that the show has a committed following (I would happily see it again) but it’s a different animal than the musical adaptations.

With The Great Gatsby off to a reasonably strong commercial start despite tepid reviews and a lack of Tony nominations, it seems sensible for the Chavkin-Welch Gatsby to buy some time and head to Canada or London (or both). That worked well for Hadestown and the show might need some more tryouts and along with commercial breathing room. That’s just a wild guess, though.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#229Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 5/28/24 at 1:57am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "jacobsnchz14 said: "Conductor/Grand Piano: Wiley Deweese'"

I appreciate the flex
"

Heh. The grand piano did have a little meta moment during the show that got some laughs. :) 

I was also there Sunday night, and overall, I liked it. I do agree on a few points already throw out:
1) I thought the choreography was strong, and the ensemble was really good.
2) I get the majority of the set and I understand some set pieces weren't done yet; however, I do hope the silver streamer curtains are temporary because they really do cheapen the set.
3) I want to understand more about the meaning of the costumes. Yes, some looked like they were leftover from Hadestown. Others (like on Nick, Daisy, Tom) had like rust stains on the bottom edge that I would love to hear the reasoning for. Also, I couldn't help noticing the maid outfit Myrtle had was very ill-fitting that I wondered if there wasn't enough time for quick change or something. 
4) I wanted to like Isaac as Gatsby, and at first, I thought that was how his character is... a little stilted... but just something about his delivery seemed a tad off. I thought "Mr Nobody From Nowhere" should have been stronger, especially the closer for Act 1, but I need more from Isaac. I honestly couldn't help thinking that if Jeremy sang the song, he would have knock it out of the park. (And I haven't seen The Great Gatsby so I'm not comparing the two, I just know Jeremy's singing capabilities.) 
5) No notes on Solea as she really shone from the featured roles. Ben was good, just wish Nick had a little bit more. Something that stood out to me was how much shorter he was to the rest of the featured cast. Cory, Eleri, and Matthew were fine, although it seemed hard to hear Matthew sometimes... like the orchestra seemed to drown out a little. Charlotte, especially her singing and Daisy's songs, very much had a Florence vibe to them out of all the songs. 
6) The Yondr pouches weren't a big deal. During intermission, there was a section of the outside lobby where you could have your pouch unlocked so you can catch up before locking it back up and going back inside. 
7) I haven't been to A.R.T. before so I don't know if they've done this previously. They don't give a full program; it's just a trifold with the billing page and cast list and full production credits. There's a QR code inside, linking to the full program. Without a way to scan it and without anything else to read, I got bored having nothing to do before the curtain went up. Heh. But that's more of a "me" issue. :D

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#230Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 5/28/24 at 6:42am

Yes, the ART has been pretty ecologically aware as of late about programs (maybe since the return after Covid?), but I thought I read because of the no phones thing, they were making a regular program available. I was disappointed to find out that wasn't the case.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

barcelona20
#231Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 5/29/24 at 12:26am

Saw it tonight. It would be interesting to revisit the show later in the run to see what will be changed. Thought the three female leads were excellent. Male leads were fine. The highlight no doubt is the choreography.  However, I had a few problems with the show. I just didn't care enough about the daisy/Gatsby relationship. Not sure if it's the book, or the songs or the actors, but I wasn't moved... Wasn't a big fan of the other Gatsby either, but I bought their relationship more. Had higher hopes for the music/lyrics. A lot of non rhyming.

Overall, the show felt like a hybrid of Hadestown(costumes) and Great Comet (style of music). Not a coincidence I suppose given the director, but I enjoyed both of those shows much more.

Updated On: 5/29/24 at 12:26 AM

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#232Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 5/29/24 at 12:38am

This didn't do it for me. Lots of thoughts here but overall I think it still needs a lot of work. The score is currently its best feature. While it's hard to get all the lyrics in one sitting, I thought overall the score was successful. I'm excited for the inevitable cast album.

The book is not great. Character development is all over the map. You would think after the first half hour this was The Great Myrtle because this character gets A LOT. Too much, honestly. Nick continues to be an underdeveloped character (why did they even include the gay thing?? It had no impact on the story) and Gatsby/Daisy relationship is introduced wayyyyyy too late into the story. Some of the dialogue is super cringe - one poor ensemble person has to provide exposition regarding Myrtle's dead child and it's rough. I think the overall structure of the book needs an overhaul. Focus more on Gatsby/Daisy, streamline the Myrtle stuff, and choose a POV for the story. I know we're sick of narrators this season so I'm not necessarily looking for a narrator. Just a point of view (is it from Nick? Jordan? Gatsby? Who??).

The performances are pretty standard. While I definitely think the character of Myrtle needs editing, Solea is doing really excellent work here. Isaac Powell is in great voice. I wish the character had more meat to it (can someone please iron his suit/get him one that fits). Daisy is given more substance and Charlotte MacInnes does a nice job and sounds gorgeous. The others are all fine, if not a little boring. I need them to figure out how to use the ensemble better because they come and go to sing random blurbs and it's awkward. Are they telling the story? Again, a POV is needed. 

The design elements need help. I really hope there's a plan to fix the set because as it is now, it's UGLY. The costumes make no sense to me. The Hadestown comparison is spot on but I would argue these are Hadestown on the cheap. I did not understand the burns (???) on the bottom of the lead costumes. The lighting is intense but still feels choppy. The choreo is effective, I wish we had another big dance number for the ensemble to really let loose. 

ART is doing such a disservice to the cast and creative team by not having full programs, especially now that there's no phone access. It's such a frustrating place to see shows, they always find a way to be disappointing. I feel like such a Scrooge! Even with these thoughts, the potential is there. If they're willing to do the work, it can become something special. I haven't seen the current Broadway production but I do wonder if this story just isn't meant to be a musical. If only Tom Levitt and Julia Houston got to take a crack at it...

joshdog2014
#233Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 5/30/24 at 8:57pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "Act I

Welcome To The New World

Golden Girl

Valley Of Ashes

Shakin Off The Dust

New York Symphony (on booze)

One Heart Beat

Month Of Love

Deathless Song

Feels Like Hell

I've Changed My Mind

Pouring Down

Mr. Nobody From Nowhere

Act II

Just A Little Party

Welcome To The New World (Reprise)

Out Of The Ashes

What Is This Worship

What Will We Do With Ourselves?

What Of Love, What Of God

The Dream Fought On

The Damage That You Do

Vigil

America, She Breaks

Pouring Down (Reprise)

We Beat On
"

For anyone interested in changes: the song list for tonight has Month of Love moved to after Feels Like Hell, and Out of the Ashes replaced by Driving My Way.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#234Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/1/24 at 12:56am

A new song was added tonight in Act One: “A Smile Like That Is Rare”.

Updated On: 6/1/24 at 12:56 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#235Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/1/24 at 10:01am

Glad to hear they're actively working on it! 

I'm still debating whether I want to go back and see it again near the end of the run .

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

joshdog2014
#236Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/2/24 at 10:43pm

A couple interesting design elements I think are different tonight from when I saw it Thursday

Solea Pfeiffer’s costumes have had a color swap. Her main dress now has a red top layer, and her Shakin Off The Dust costume is black (and pretty similar to the ensemble). Matthew Amira also has a red shirt. 

There were also new set pieces for the apartment in Shakin Off The Dust and for the place they go in town towards the end. Four people come out and clip carabiners that lowered down to the stage floor, which then raise a ceiling with the furniture rising below. Afterwards they guided the stage piece back into place and clipped it in. They were nice additions to the set, the but the whole process was somewhat distracting. 

Probably not that notable but thought it was kind of interesting.

Updated On: 6/3/24 at 10:43 PM

bethyd
#237Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/3/24 at 12:06am

I saw it tonight too. My first time, so I didn't realize that elevator platform was new. It was a great feature. They started 20+ minutes late, I wonder what the hold up was? Was it just me, or was the sound off? I had a very difficult time hearing things clearly. 

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#238Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/3/24 at 12:45am

Any one sit in or have past experience with the partial view seats? $95 is more palatable than $275. Thank you!

Ensemble1717438142
#239Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/3/24 at 7:28pm

dshnookie said: "Any one sit in or have past experience with the partial view seats? $95 is more palatable than $275. Thank you!"

It depends which ones- the far sides if you were in the front few rows would probably be difficult, but I’ve sat further back in “partial view” seats for other shows and felt like I didn’t miss much. I sat front row center for Gatsby (for the $95 is more palatable than $275 reason as well) and while I did have to look up all night, i only missed out on the feet, basically 😂. The sound equipment around the stage is pretty minimal, and there is a set element stage right that may get in your way on the far sides but far enough back and you wouldn’t be bothered. I was annoyed that it was almost behind me sitting front row (it wasn’t integral to any actual movement on stage so it was fine).  

My favorite seats at the Loeb are the “obstructed” aisle seats in the middle of the orchestra- they are technically obstructed because the row in front of you is at the same level, and the aisle could cause an issue with people walking in, but you cannot beat the leg room. 

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#240Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/3/24 at 9:26pm

My favorite seats at the Loeb are the “obstructed” aisle seats in the middle of the orchestra- they are technically obstructed because the row in front of you is at the same level, and the aisle could cause an issue with people walking in, but you cannot beat the leg room."

THIS! I always purchase these seats. They are hardly obstructed, much less money, and perfect for us tall folk. Highly recommend them. 

marytylermoore Profile Photo
marytylermoore
#241Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/3/24 at 9:48pm

Color me shocked that Florence didn't include her song "Over the Love" which was written for The Great Gatsby soundtrack (2013)

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#242Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/5/24 at 7:17pm

The show opens tonight! Wonder if we will get any press reviews. 

GottaGetAGimmick420
#243Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/6/24 at 8:48pm

Reviews?

I'm just here so I don't get fined

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#244Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/7/24 at 6:39am

An amateur review on Reddit has been removed. I'm guessing the embargo is still up.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#245Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/9/24 at 11:09am

Just saw the show last night and had to add my thoughts. I'll note that I saw it in the cheap row BB partial view seats and the only parts I missed were the rear of the staircase on the right staircase, which is where Gatsby and Daisy have an extended scene on the floor during Pouring Down. Speaking of, there was not a setlist change from the last iteration. 

The choreography was really the shining star of this piece, which I truly enjoyed. I'm a huge fan of great dancing and this ensemble was putting in the work and energy. The costumes were good, could've been improved on some of the ensemble. One person looked like a stereotypical mime from Paris, and another was serving Cabaret while the rest were much more on theme.

I'll also preface this with despite loving it, I also don't believe it's ready for Broadway, but it's still more ready for Broadway than Gatsby Broadway (with Eva and Jeremy).

ACTUAL SPOILERS START HERE. 

Solea's Myrtle was amazing, and each of her songs were a treat to the ears. I also loved how much her and Wilson's costumes matched. The rust was at the bottom of all the character's costumes including theirs, but a small touch I wish was added was making theirs darker than the others. I didn't understand why they wouldn't be "grimier" than Nick/Jay/Daisy, unless it was more of a comment on their spirit. 

Ben Levi Ross as Nick brings such a fresh and queer take on Nick, which will definitely become divisive for audiences. 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

In the first act, while Tom is having sex with Myrtle, the other prostitutes take some form of interest in Nick, and by the end of the night, we can see Nick hooking up passionately with a male prostitute. This takes place under that square raised into the ceiling, which admittedly made me a bit nervous from a technical perspective. The square took awhile to get hooked and kept swinging after being lifted.

Nick and Jordan have the most minimal romance to them, with most of it beginning and ending with a comment from Daisy and Nick being interested that she plays golf. Instead of that, we get multiple insinuations that Nick wants Gatsby to be with him instead, including a scene in the second act where Nick is close enough to make contact however Gatsby breaks away to continue talking eagerly about Daisy. Also, in the first act there is a mirror in the phrasing of the male prostitute hoping to see Nick again at lunch to Gatsby's invitation to lunch. I can't remember it exactly, but it allows the audience to think Nick believes Jay could be making a move on him before the redirection to talk to Jordan.

The biggest laugh of the show occurred when Nick nearly broke the fourth wall and stated "A revelation" following the scene with the prostitute.I wish Nick's queer nature had more coverage, considering a lot of it is left to subtext during act two. I'm not really sure how this could be done throughout the show, but maybe a very short moment of song about it, even if it's just 30 seconds of "his beautiful smile, his kind demeanor, his grand nature" style things might work.

Moving on to Daisy, her actress impressed me a lot because she's the only non-equity billed. She really held her own, though she definitely functioned as a blank slate to projected onto right up until the second act. 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

The scene where she wanted to resist marriage and received the final letter was so well done, and I think the surrounding character's insistence on her relationship with Tom showed how little choices were available for women back then.The water soaking her dress, combined with her acting and the frenzied nature of her mother to keep her with Tom made a great dramatic moment. 

The character of Jordan really fell into the background in my opinion, but it didn't bother me. Wolfsheim got a brilliant, large number in act one and a great subdued moment in act 2 with Nick at Gatsby's grave, and he did amazing each time. The main things I'd say could be worked on are just certain setpieces (the tub seemed tiny, the tinsel curtains), and the costumes could be more consistent in quality or appearance (The person who said Hadetown rejects worked at the gas station was on point!), and more development of the foundations laid for Nick among other characters would be nice. I wish I could take the trip out to see this again during development, but hopefully, it hits Broadway when the time is right! 

flord10
#246Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/10/24 at 9:57am

Does anyone know why the review embargo would be lasting so long after opening night?

OhHiii
#247Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/10/24 at 10:44am

flord10 said: "Does anyone know why the review embargo would be lasting so long after opening night?"

They probably held off critics given all of their hurdles in the lead up to starting performances. They may have not invited critics to review at all. For productions that are assumed to come to Broadway, it’s not uncommon that producers will keep at least the NYC critics away until it comes to the city. 

flord10
#248Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/10/24 at 10:58am

Yeah, makes sense as to the professional reviews. The fact that they never had amateur reviews on reddit taken down was what was more surprising to me.

hearthemsing22
#249Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
Posted: 6/10/24 at 11:37am

Whoa can we go back a minute- GATZ is 6 1/2 hours????? Anyone on this thread have plans to see it?

Videos