What Next For The Majestic?- Page 2

What Next For The Majestic?

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#25What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 3/8/23 at 11:26pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "it is 110% not being named after Hal"

And you know this how? 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#26What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 3/9/23 at 12:14am

Must we have the “what is going into XYZ theatre” every week, where members just recycle unreliable info they heard in other threads, repackage it and repost it here as their own inside scoop? 

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#27What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 3/9/23 at 5:27pm

Theater reporter Frank DiLella was on "Morning Joe" earlier this week, giving everyone the heads up on the Spring Broadway season.  Of course, the closing of "Phantom" was front and center of the conversation. 

Host Willie Geist said it's going to be hard to imagine a Broadway theater district without a 'Phantom' on the marquee, as it's probably been there for many theater-goers' lifetime. He asked DiLella what will be going into the theater next. 

DiLella said that the Majestic will undergo a amajor 'clean-up' as it really needs an update. He then said with a wink and a grin that 'Phantom' won't be gone too long hinting that there will definitely be a quick revival. When prodded for more, he wouldn't say outright but kept hinting that POTO will be back before we know it.  (To viewers like me, it sounded like after a brief closing to renovate the theater, POTO will be right back in the Majestic before long as a revivial - maybe a scaled down version, but a revival).  

troynow
#28What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 3/9/23 at 6:51pm

Well, thats hysterical. Kristin Caskey, Mike Issaccson and Brian Moreland are the producers. According to paperwork ATG is a co-pro NOT a producer. This show is not going to an "ATG house". I am told it is going in to a Nederlander house. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#29What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 3/9/23 at 7:08pm

A lot of totally contradictory things being thrown around in this thread. Maybe everybody should refrain from putting their oar in. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#30What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 10/22/23 at 2:51am

when will this open?

thedrybandit
#31What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 10/22/23 at 10:33am

Broadway Flash said: "when will this open?"

When will what open? The Majestic? When they're ready to have a show in there again.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#32What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 10/22/23 at 11:23am

Broadway Flash said: "when will this open?"

Reopen? The renovations are expected to take over a year. Seems doubtful we hear anything until next Spring.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#33What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 10/22/23 at 1:35pm

Have they started renovations? 

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#34What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 10/22/23 at 1:46pm

Wick3 said: "Have they started renovations?"

I thought they were started almost immediately after (/during) Phantom completed their load out.

aislestorm2
#35What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 10/22/23 at 7:06pm

They did.

BoringBoredBoard40
#36What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 10/23/23 at 12:42pm

They are totally rebuilding the seating, I walked by a few weeks ago and the doors were open and I could see all the seats in the orchestra had been ripped out 

Phantom4ever
#37What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 10/23/23 at 1:18pm

Yes the load out took 21 days and it was lovingly documented on instagram for all to see. They showed the renovation process that was already well underway during those 21 days. There was a giant false wall behind the orchestra section that was taken out right away. All of the seats in the entire theater were taken out, but they carefully marked the seat armrests for reinstallation I assume. The hallway and stairwell walls were all stripped down. The last pictures I saw from a couple weeks ago, the lobby was in complete disarray with buckets, drop cloths, garbage cans, and dust everywhere. The stage was basically scooped out all the way to the depth of the bottom of the candelabras and left like that. Broadway up close did a cool video of the old box office window that once faced 44th Street that was uncovered. What I'd really like to see is how the removal of all the black paint on the inside is going. Even if the London version is moving in, that one got rid of all the black paint too. 

And by the way, the very last thing from the production to be removed?  Joseph Buquet.  

Updated On: 10/23/23 at 01:18 PM

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#38What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 10/23/23 at 2:24pm

The Shubert's instagram account posted a few detail shots of the Majestic being repainted. The new color scheme looks lovely - very reminiscent of what they did with the James Earl Jones Theatre renovation. 

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#39What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 11/8/23 at 6:23pm

Heard a rumor today they want Sunset for the Majestic. Phantom (tour version) to the Belasco 

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#40What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 11/8/23 at 7:22pm

WldKingdomHM said: "Heard a rumor today they want Sunset for the Majestic. Phantom (tour version) to the Belasco"

Sunset as in the current London production? Majestic seems way too big for that production, though I'd be thrilled with it coming to Broadway anywhere.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#41What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 11/8/23 at 7:54pm

Based on a conversation I had with someone involved with the renovation a few months ago, whatever is going in there is planned for this Spring. They were not told what it is but the work needed, at that point, to be done by Spring. That's Tony season. I suspect it won't be Phantom that goes back in there.  Not sure how that would work if Phantom went back in. Would it be eligible for Revival that soon? So no "specific" information but just what I gleaned from the conversation I had.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 11/9/23 at 07:54 PM

AEA AGMA SM
#42What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 11/8/23 at 9:40pm

Unless there’s been a change recently, three years between closing and opening are required to qualify for consideration as a revival.

Broadway Flash
#43What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 11/9/23 at 1:37am

Well there’s certainly no shortage of things trying to come in. Will be very interesting to see what is next. 

Phantom4ever
#44What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 11/9/23 at 8:37am

The Shuberts had to dynamite through bedrock in order to get the candelabras to fit into the stage of the Majestic. Even if it were the new London tour coming in, the candelabras are still the same size (although now they don't move once they're in place on stage). So if the Belasco wasn't one of the theaters considered in 1987 (Hellinger, Majestic, Hirschfeld) then it won't be considered now. 

And who is the "they" that wants something Tony-eligible? The Shuberts? I'm surprised they would really care one way or another--the landlord doesn't get to bask in the Tony Award glow after all. And waiting the required 3 years to make Phantom Tony-eligible again doesn't sync with what CamMack/ALW are doing in London, which is trying to make everyone forget that the show changed at all and that the current version is still the 80's version. So to bring that version here and call it a revival would certainly create a lot of confusion, especially for their press releases and social media. 

Broadway Flash
#45What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 12/2/23 at 4:01am

Is something still trying to come in for Spring?

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#46What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 12/2/23 at 9:15am

Broadway Flash said: "Is something still trying to come in for Spring?"

Renos won't be done by then.

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#47What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 12/2/23 at 12:15pm

I walked past the theatre a couple of weeks ago; the entire marquee awning is gone, and the front doors are boarded up. This likely won't be reopening until later next year or early 2025. Remember, it hasn't had a massive renovation since before it was modified for Phantom. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

thedrybandit
#48What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 12/2/23 at 12:24pm

My industry friends are hearing that something is booked for the spring. How rigid that booking is, I have no idea but it seems they're currently confident that the reno will be done.

BETTY22
#49What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 12/3/23 at 5:00pm

Nothing schedule. The huge renovation is going to take a while.....

Latest Posts