pixeltracker

Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards- Page 3

Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#50Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/23 at 12:37pm

Quick suggestion for Funny Girl’s performance: “Hey, Mr. Rambusch, here I am!”

Harold Rambusch designed the interior of the United Palace. 

Oh look, a bibu!

chrishuyen
#51Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/23 at 12:57pm

So I'm guessing to expect something from Chicago/Cabaret for the Special Tony tribute, and I'm assuming Joaquina Kalukango is doing the In Memoriam segment.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#52Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/23 at 5:23pm

MemorableUserName said: "Honestly, I would find it hilarious if they announced the cast of Funny Girl is performing, letting people think Lea would be there, only to end up doing a number without her. "If a Girl Isn't Pretty"? "Henry Street"? "Who Taught Her Everything?""

That would be reminiscent of when the Hello, Dolly! performance was "Penny in My Pocket" (if my memory serves).

Lynsey1122
#53Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/9/23 at 10:11pm

Lea is performing!  She’s all over her Instagram with it.  

Voter
#54Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/9/23 at 10:18pm

Are all performances going to be live or pre-recorded?

Actors from SLIT and A Beautiful Noise are say stuff like recording for the Tony’s. Idk what that means 

Jakeevan942
#55Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/9/23 at 11:32pm

Voter said: "Are all performances going to be live or pre-recorded?

Actors from SLIT and A Beautiful Noise are say stuff like recording for the Tony’s. Idk what that means
"

The majority of the audio you're hearing from the performances is pre-recorded; just the principal vocals are sung live.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#56Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/23 at 1:51am

Parade  - This Is Not Over Yet

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#57Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/23 at 8:29am

chrishuyen said: "So I'm guessing to expect something from Chicago/Cabaret for the Special Tony tribute, and I'm assuming Joaquina Kalukango is doing the In Memoriam segment."

It won't be from the cast of Chicago as they have a performance Sunday evening.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#58Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/23 at 11:09am

Quick suggestion for Funny Girl’s performance: “Hey, Mr. Rambusch, here I am!”

Harold Rambusch designed the interior of the United Palace. 

I can hear the crickets now 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#59Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/23 at 2:50pm

A BEAUTIFUL NOISE is incorporating the entire cast on their performance, including all swings plus Nick Fradiani and the other two standbys. Robyn Hurder also discussed rehearsing yesterday, so I'd bet they're doing Forever in Blue Jeans and then Sweet Caroline.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

supersam1026 Profile Photo
supersam1026
#60Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/23 at 2:54pm

Heard that Kimberly Akimbo is doing Anagram

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#61Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/23 at 3:00pm

I'm surprised at that. There are like 4 other songs that would be much better for the world to see. Hm. 

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#62Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/23 at 4:07pm

There have been pictures of the entire cast in the recording studio where they do the Tony pre-records. Are we sure it’s “Anagram”? Maybe a medley with “Great Adventure”?

BETTY22
#63Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/23 at 7:12pm

A BEAUTIFUL NOISE might be the big winner of the night without a single nomination.

This producer has skills! How did he pull this off? I'm impressed 

bear88
#64Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/23 at 7:21pm

Shows have to pay to get their musical on the telecast, right? Plus, there’s more time to fill this year without written material.

mshalo18
#65Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/23 at 7:39pm

supersam1026 said: "Heard that Kimberly Akimbo is doing Anagram"

Based on a rehearsal Instagram post, it is indeed. Perhaps a medley with This Time or Great Adventure?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#66Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/23 at 8:01pm

BETTY22 said: "A BEAUTIFUL NOISE might be the big winner of the night without a single nomination.

"

They might end up the most successful show from this season.

JSquared2
#67Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/23 at 8:40pm

BETTY22 said: "A BEAUTIFUL NOISE might be the big winner of the night without a single nomination.

"

It costs the show several hundred thousand dollars to perform on the Tonys, plus with no writing this year they have LOTS of time to fill -- what producing skills are you impressed by?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#68Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/23 at 9:01pm

JSquared2 said: "BETTY22 said: "A BEAUTIFUL NOISE might be the big winner of the night without a single nomination.

"

It costs the show several hundred thousand dollars to perform on the Tonys, plus with no writing this year they have LOTS of time to fill -- what producing skills are you impressed by?
"

Could have just been a duplicate of their Today Show performance.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#69Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/23 at 9:07pm

JSquared2 said: "BETTY22 said: "A BEAUTIFUL NOISE might be the big winner of the night without a single nomination.

"

"

Yea, there's no skill here, just the choice to spend the money on this instead of elsewhere. Just like GODSPELL (also a Ken D show), or GIGI, or FINDING NEVERLAND performing without a nomination. And they're the only not-nominated show that's still running.

angoradebs
#70Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/23 at 9:49pm

A Sweeney Todd Instagram story posted tonight showed a quick shot of a Tony schedule for tomorrow that says which song they're doing

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Ballad of Sweeney Todd

And also indicates that Annaleigh won't be in their number - it references Ruthie and Josh leaving their seats and being taken to dressing rooms, then changing back into evening wear, but it doesn't mention Annaleigh. She does show up in the WGA directory so it seems like a strong possibility that she has chosen not to attend- and that may have impacted their song choice.

Mia Pinero also confirmed that all the swings will be performing in the number (and that they're on the cast album)

sng
#71Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/10/23 at 11:00pm

I'm surprised One More Time didn't pay for a performance slot considering they won't likely be nominated next year so this year is the chance to get the show out there

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#72Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/23 at 1:24am

ACL2006 said: "BETTY22 said: "A BEAUTIFUL NOISE might be the big winner of the night without a single nomination.

"

They might end up the most successful show from this season.
"

Slightly off topic question but this thread reminded me of it- why couldn't Be More Chill perform on the broadcast if non-nominated shows area allowed to perform? Wasn't there a huge issue regarding that in 2018 when George Salazar took to Instagram to complain about the whole stipulation that not nominated shows can't showcase, or am I missing something, or is this a year where things are unique due to the WGA strike?

BoringBoredBoard40
#73Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/23 at 1:41am

Seems odd Kimberly would do Great Adventure since they just released an entire music video for it. 

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#74Musical Performances on the 2023 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/23 at 2:59am

dearalanaaaa said: "Slightly off topic question but this thread reminded me of it- why couldn't Be More Chill perform on the broadcast if non-nominated shows area allowed to perform? Wasn't there a huge issue regarding that in 2018 when George Salazar took to Instagram to complain about the whole stipulation that not nominated shows can't showcase, or am I missing something, or is this a year where things are unique due to the WGA strike?"

Additional performances beyond shows nominated for Best New and Best Revival are at the digression of the producers and changes from year to year. Some years the are very strict about only including the shows nominated for the big awards. Other years, everyone and their brother is allowed to perform. I think back to 68th Tonys in 2014 which saw just as many shows that were NOT nominated perform as ones that were including a show that was not even open yet previewing itself MONTHS ahead of time. What goes through their minds and the choices they make is not something we will likely ever know. I know at the time, some of the cast and crew accused the awards of not accepting them because they wanted to perform the same song that the awards did a parody of but I don't know if I buy that. It's possible when they looked at the layout (knowing James wanted to have a mid show song for himself included) of the broadcast they realized they could only fit in two additional performances and opted for Cher Show and Choir Boy to fill that space be those shows willing to pay more of the producers just felt them better fits for the broadcast audience they were aiming for. I don't think that Be More Chill was the only show denied a spot to perform that season. Pretty Woman was another one that many expected to see buy space but was left out as well.

Videos