pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 3:55pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 4/30/2023 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: PICTURES FROM HOME (7.5%), CHICAGO (6.4%), NEW YORK, NEW YORK (6.1%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (4.5%), LEOPOLDSTADT (3.7%), LIFE OF PI (3.2%), PETER PAN GOES WRONG (1.9%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (1.8%), A DOLL'S HOUSE (1.6%), PRIMA FACIE (1.5%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (1.2%), THE LION KING (0.9%), ALADDIN (0.8%), FUNNY GIRL (0.1%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: BOB FOSSE'S DANCIN' (-8.2%), THE THANKSGIVING PLAY (-6.3%), SIX (-4.9%), SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET (-4.4%), GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR (-3.1%), WICKED (-2.5%), SUMMER, 1976 (-2.5%), PARADE (-2.5%), A BEAUTIFUL NOISE, THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL (-2.2%), SHUCKED (-2.2%), CAMELOT (-1.8%), & JULIET (-1.8%), SOME LIKE IT HOT (-1.4%), FAT HAM (-0.7%), HADESTOWN (-0.6%), HAMILTON (-0.4%), KIMBERLY AKIMBO (-0.2%), MJ THE MUSICAL (-0.1%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

binau Profile Photo
binau
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 3:58pm

Surely Cinderella will post a closing notice soon. Do they really think they can turn it around? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 4:00pm

Hold on, Kimberly! We all love you dearly! 

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23

binau said: "Surely Cinderella will post a closing notice soon. Do they really think they can turn it around?"

Let's see how many Tony Awards it will -  never mind. 

JasonC3
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23

Some of these low percentages sold and average ticket prices.  Yowsa.

pablitonizer
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 4:06pm

oh boy Bad Cinderella and Dancin' do not look good at all

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 4:08pm

DANCIN’ looked like it was holding on a little while there but this has just been a downward spiral that’s neck and neck with BC as a race to the bottom.

Neither are long for this world but it’s a matter of when. I know DANCIN’ just performed on Tamron Hall the other day, so maybe that might give a little nudge. Who knows?

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 4:10pm

Let’s be honest here: will the Tony nominations make any difference for some of these struggling shows at the box office in the coming weeks? 

Oh look, a bibu!

chrishuyen
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 4:14pm

Dancin' has a surprisingly high average for how low their grosses are, are they just not discounting or are the people who are going the ones that don't know how to look for discounts?

Sidney Brustein is also a bit on the low end but I'm guessing they had to comp for the nominators?  Grey House looks like it did alright for its one show.

JSquared2
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 4:16pm

Pretty amazing to see Prima Facie almost reaching $1M at the John Golden.  Has any show ever broken $1M at that theatre?

EAPEAPMO
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 4:17pm

Average ticket price industry-wide approaching $100/ticket is a disaster for the entire industry... great for consumers, but I don't think that's sustainable to have a quality lineup of new shows consistently getting put out there. With most musicals now $700k+ per week if not into the $1-1.2mm range, it's just not economically feasible whatsoever. NYNY clearly dragged it down a little bit with their opening night giving away 1700 tickets and whatever they gave away for press events, but even if you strip out that performance even shows like Harry Potter had ticket sales go up with lower gross, Funny Girl and Six same, &Juliet, MJ and Dolls House flat ticket sales with gross lower, and the three most critically popular new shows this year unable to fill houses with $1.7mm gross between KA, SLIH, and Shucked selling 21,500 tickets.... SLIH 68% cap... man I'm sad for the industry as a whole this past week.

Side note, it's astounding how Neil Diamond remains at $1mm gross. Who are the people buying these pricey tickets and why aren't they going to other shows?

EAPEAPMO
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 4:18pm

chrishuyen said: "Dancin' has a surprisingly high average for how low their grosses are, are they just not discounting or are the people who are going the ones that don't know how to look for discounts?

Sidney Brustein is also a bit on the low end but I'm guessing they had to comp for the nominators? Grey House looks like it did alright for its one show.
"

I walked by TKTS 30 min ago and the only option for Dancin' was $100, no other tickets available for sale. Very odd. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 4:23pm

Will be interesting to see if the TONY nominations move the needle for things like Shucked or Kimberly

I think even with a best musical win though KA is probably out of steam unfortunately 

BETTY22
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 4:23pm

At what point do producers pull the plug?

If Tony nominations don't help Some Like It Hot and Kimberly, do they hold on until the awards are given out? How much difference does a Tony win mean when a show has been rejected by ticket buyers?

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 4:25pm

I'm actually amazed by the numbers for Peter Pan Goes Wrong. Kudos to them for finding their audience.

Sad to see that Shucked hasn't been able to build on word-of-mouth and very solid reviews.

Am I the only one who always completely forgets that Harry Potter is still on Broadway???

Nice numbers for Prima Facie and with even just one preview Grey House looks like it could do pretty well.  Maybe that's the lure of the Mantello/Metcalf pairing.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 4:27pm

BETTY22 said: "At what point do producers pull the plug?

If Tony nominations don't help Some Like It Hot and Kimberly, do they hold on until the awards are given out? How much difference does a Tony win mean when a show has been rejected by ticket buyers?
"

Those two will most definitely hold on until the Tony Awards, and whichever of the 2 wins best musical (I think it's safe to say it will be one of those 2) will definitely see a boost in sales.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 4:30pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Let’s be honest here: will the Tony nominations make any difference for some of these struggling shows at the box office in the coming weeks?"

Yes. A lot of nominations coupled with summer coming usually means shows can get a temporary bounce. Not a long lasting one but one that will probably get most well-nominated shows through the summer.

I stand by predictions I've been saying for weeks - Bad Cinderella is gone by the end of May, Dancin' by the end of June. Camelot, NYNY, Some Like It Hot & Shucked will all play through the summer but could be at risk for end of summer closings (probably at least one of them makes it longer than that). And Kimberly Akimbo (if it wins Best Musical) will at least make it to Jan 2024. 

chrishuyen
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 4:33pm

What do we think the weekly nut for NYNY is?  Based on the gross it seems like it's doing alright (just under 1mil) even if its average ticket cost is somewhat low, and it doesn't look like critic reviews impacted it all that much, and it has a slew of nominations now anyways.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 4:34pm

Bill Snibson said: "I'm actually amazed by the numbers for Peter Pan Goes Wrong. Kudos to them for finding their audience."

Remember for most of April, Neil Patrick Harris was part of the cast of Peter Pan Goes Wrong. His last performance was this past Sunday so we'll see with next week's grosses if Peter Pan Goes Wrong has found its audience or not.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 4:39pm

NPH has extended through this week

Rakesh Natarajan
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 4:39pm

Wick3 said: "Bill Snibson said: "I'm actually amazed by the numbers for Peter Pan Goes Wrong. Kudos to them for finding their audience."

Remember for most of April, Neil Patrick Harris was part of the cast of Peter Pan Goes Wrong. His last performance was this past Sunday so we'll see with next week's grosses if Peter Pan Goes Wrong has found its audience or not.

"

Unless I'm mistaken, I thought his run was extended to the end of this week

https://playbill.com/article/neil-patrick-harris-extends-limited-run-in-peter-pan-goes-wrong

Amy Archer
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 4:51pm

JSquared2 said: "Pretty amazing to seePrima Facie almost reaching $1M at the John Golden. Has any show ever broken $1M at that theatre?

Three Tall Women did so in its penultimate week, and then $1.2M in its final week, with a ninth performance. Last week, Prima had an ATP of $156.27, just behind Funny Girl, Sweeney Todd, Hamilton and The Lion King, which is really incredible. 

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 5:19pm

Wick3 said: "Bill Snibson said: "I'm actually amazed by the numbers for Peter Pan Goes Wrong. Kudos to them for finding their audience."

"

Oh, right. Completely forgot that NPH joined the show. Will be interesting to see what happens once he leaves.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 5:35pm

chrishuyen said: "What do we think the weekly nut for NYNY is? Based on the gross it seems like it's doing alright (just under 1mil) even if its average ticket cost is somewhat low, and it doesn't look like critic reviews impacted it all that much, and it has a slew of nominations now anyways."

I’d wager the running cost is about 700K. Similar to BC and SLIH. Someone on here was floating 850 for SLIH but that seems a little crazy.

It’s quite early in NYNY’s run. The “traditional theatergoer” flocks to a show like this in the first 6-12 weeks. It also had the benefit of some high-profile press. Now it has noms. TOOTSIE and GROUNDHOG DAY and 2018’s CAROUSEL started strong like this too…we need to wait a month or two to see how the numbers even out. 

EAPEAPMO
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/30/23
Posted: 5/2/23 at 5:38pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "chrishuyen said: "What do we think the weekly nut for NYNY is? Based on the gross it seems like it's doing alright (just under 1mil) even if its average ticket cost is somewhat low, and it doesn't look like critic reviews impacted it all that much, and it has a slew of nominations now anyways."

I’d wager the running cost is about 700K. Similar to BC and SLIH.Someone on here was floating 850 for SLIH but that seems a little crazy.

It’s quite early in NYNY’s run. The “traditional theatergoer” flocks to a show like this in the first 6-12 weeks. It also had the benefit of some high-profile press. Now it has noms. TOOTSIE and GROUNDHOG DAY and 2018’s CAROUSEL started strong like this too…we need to wait a month or two to see how the numbers even out.
"

I'd think you're low on all of those numbers myself and would think all 3 of those shows mentioned are close to 850k - I know they managed to get HLL around 700k somehow (massive up front spend to renovate the Broadway Theater, and then budget putting it back together, though) but my understanding is most musicals are now in the 800k-1mm range, especially shows launched this season. Sweeney is over 1mm.  ALW said Phantom was >1mm/week in his NYT article. 

Updated On: 5/2/23 at 05:38 PM