pixeltracker

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy- Page 3

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy

binau Profile Photo
binau
#50Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 5:10pm

“Interested to hear what your cuts would be, binau!”

Couldn’t we also get a book doctor to add a few lines where needed to replace the songs if some of the content is needed? I’m sure the ideas could be expressed better with a few words so that when people sing it’s only for the genuinely amazing and interesting moments (eg with one look etc). The idea of watching the show where it actually only has the good songs makes me excited. The idea of having to sit through the full thing again feels like I need to train for it. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Seb28 Profile Photo
Seb28
#51Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 5:39pm

fashionguru_23 said: "I could see this being more of Norma being a faded Hollywood star, not a "silent film star""

All the song lyrics and story lines are about her being a silent film star. They would have to rewrite everything to change that and that would serve no purpose at all. I don't get why people need to drag stories into more current times, it changes nothing of the essence.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#52Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 5:43pm

Hell, just make her a TikTok star who had millions of followers but got cancelled and lost all her paid sponsorships. 

Ke3
#53Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 8:12pm

Kad said: "Ke3 said: "I have to say, as a pop music fan, there is something of Norma Desmond in Nicole's career. She spent years after PCD ended trying to carve out a solo career that went nowhere. She's spent close to a decade on the periphery of stardom. It's kind of sadder than Norma, to be honest. Enough people remember Nicole, enough people know how talented she is, people have just never cared enough to make her a solo pop star which is what she's always wanted to be. So despite being ayounger woman with decades of a career ahead, I think she understands certain aspects of the character better than people think."

I’m sure she’d love to hear her career has been “sadder” than Norma Desmond’s.
"

Okay well obviously I'm exaggerating. Still, everyone's acting like it's unimaginable that Nicole could face that same fall that Norma did and it's like...she already did? Do people think someone with that level of talent is thrilled with doing The Mask Singer and X Factor as their day job?

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#54Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 8:39pm

This casting kinda confuses me. They’d better cast an incredible Betty so that we understand that Joe is only with Norma to get ahead in his career. Nicole is stunning and IMO not the type of actress who would like looking less then.  

inception Profile Photo
inception
#55Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 9:33pm

Ke3 said: "Do people think someone with that level of talent is thrilled with doing The Mask Singer and X Factor as their day job?"

Yeah! I don't get all the comments about her lack of acting ability?  The way she & her cast mates weekly pretend to actually give a flying fig about the whole proceedings.  And the Covid era episodes in front of non-existent audiences that got cgi'd in later were true masterclasses.

....not

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#56Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/19/23 at 10:13pm

Haha. She is definitely saying everything with her eyes during “take it off, take it off, take it off!”

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#57Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/20/23 at 12:12am

Ke3 said: "Kad said: "Ke3 said: "I have to say, as a pop music fan, there is something of Norma Desmond in Nicole's career. She spent years after PCD ended trying to carve out a solo career that went nowhere. She's spent close to a decade on the periphery of stardom. It's kind of sadder than Norma, to be honest. Enough people remember Nicole, enough people know how talented she is, people have just never cared enough to make her a solo pop star which is what she's always wanted to be. So despite being ayounger woman with decades of a career ahead, I think she understands certain aspects of the character better than people think."

I’m sure she’d love to hear her career has been “sadder” than Norma Desmond’s.
"

Okay well obviously I'm exaggerating. Still, everyone's acting like it's unimaginable that Nicole could face that same fall that Norma did and it's like...she already did? Do people think someone with that level of talent is thrilled with doing The Mask Singer and X Factor as their day job?
"

She turned down the CATS revival as Grizabella on Broadway to do it!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#58Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/20/23 at 2:40am

Those paychecks far exceed anything CATS could probably touch for the amount of work (sitting and reacting) - I think anyone would take that. A career as an artist is a luxury, but not everyone is going to be a Kelly Clarkson or a Lady Gaga. I mean look at Kelly Rowland. 

Seb28 Profile Photo
Seb28
#59Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/20/23 at 7:11am

This role is all about head voice, painting with the sung notes. Finesse.

So I am thrilled with this casting. She is already miles ahead of Glenn Close.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#60Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/20/23 at 9:27am

SB is one of my favorite musicals, so this is interesting news for me.  I'm not familiar at all with the star or the chosen director, but if I were in London, I'd see it anyhow. 

I wonder what this means for Glenn Close and her belief that the movie will get made ? 

Ke3
#61Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/20/23 at 10:37am

David10086 said: "I wonder what this means for Glenn Close and her belief that the movie will get made?"

it’s never going to happen. it had a better chance of happening after the original production and even that wasn’t going to happen.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#62Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/20/23 at 11:11am

While Jamie Lloyd's work isn't for me, I second the sentiments of those on here who are glad it's not Laurence Connor directing. It will certainly be exciting to see a different take on this show!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#63Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/20/23 at 11:32am

David10086 said: "I wonder what this means for Glenn Close and her belief that the movie will get made ?"

In Glenn’s dillusional head the film wrapped years ago, was nominated for 6 Oscars, she won every major award for it (including her first Oscar) and she’s currently doing the audio commentary for the Criterion Collection anniversary Blu-ray. cheeky

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#64Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/20/23 at 11:44am

binau said: "Couldn’t we also get a book doctor to add a few lines where needed to replace the songs if some of the content is needed? I’m sure the ideas could be expressed better with a few words so that when people sing it’s only for the genuinely amazing and interesting moments (eg with one look etc). The idea of watching the show where it actually only has the good songs makes me excited. The idea of having to sit through the full thing again feels like I need to train for it."

I mean, they could just go back to the screenplay. It's not like the book was meaningfully different; in many places, the sung material is kind of shoe-horned in to replace dialogue.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#65Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/20/23 at 2:10pm

Why? She's so wrong for Norma and does not have the acting chops to handle the complexities of the character. ALW 's infatuation with her is the only reason this is happening!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#66Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/20/23 at 8:40pm

Why can't she be beautiful and overlooked? Happens in real life. Her descent into disillusion/madness can be about 'why not me'. Constant rejection for whatever reason can make the fragility of temperamental personalities lead to that final walk down any staircase.

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#67Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/20/23 at 9:42pm

Yes SweetLips, she can be a lil outta it, but beautiful as hell. Norma talks about how her face can pretty much say anything, she should be beautiful. 
Nicole did study theatre/musical theatre in college. 

djjd007
#68Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/21/23 at 12:24am

Truly disappointed SJB isn’t in this. She absolutely nailed it.

Although Norma has a few park and bark numbers, this role isn’t Grizabella and Nicole hasn’t done any acting role with the depth and nuance the role requires. She is fine age-wise, but Betty is gonna have to be 19 or 20 to balance this. I’m happy for Nicole to hit this out of the park, but we’ve seen a lot of great actresses (some have even failed - looking at you Rita) and the comparisons will be made. I could see this being the chamber version finally realized and licensed which could be fun. I thought SJB in DC nailed it, so hopefully if this revival is good we’ll see it stateside!

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#69Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/21/23 at 1:57am

It’s like fetch, SJB headlining a revival. Ain’t gonna happen. DC, doesn’t count. 

im a huge sunset fan, as a teen I saw it in London, Germany, Toronto, Ohio and many on Broadway. (Elaine’s my fav)

I’ve seen different productions, that were different than the original. I hated the Petula US tour, yet I grew to love Petula  

i truly love sunset. I saw it many times - the closing night bway videos online, I’ll just you’re welcome   

BETTY22
#70Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/21/23 at 8:52am

I think she's too young, but I'm sure she will bring in an audience

MikeInTheDistrict Profile Photo
MikeInTheDistrict
#71Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 5/21/23 at 1:02pm

I wish it were the amazing Mazz Murray. IMO, the best fit for this role working currently:

Updated On: 5/21/23 at 01:02 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#72Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 6/3/23 at 4:49am

I've been binging listening to Nicole singing and to be honest, I'm now hooked and can't wait to hear her in Sunset. At this point, I don't care if she just stands with a microphone and doesn't act at all. Just give me that voice with these songs and I'll be happy! I've already seen an actress' take (Glenn Close), now I want to hear a real singer. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#73Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 6/3/23 at 7:44am

BETTY22 said: "I think she's too young, but I'm sure she will bring in an audience

"

She’s the same age Patti was when the show first opened and three years younger than Glenn was she it opened on Broadway. 

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#74Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 6/3/23 at 8:02am

Website updated, saying previews begin 9/18.