Matt Doyle’s Next

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#1Matt Doyle’s Next
Posted: 6/7/23 at 5:28am

Matt Doyle currently has on his Instagram story, “I’ll be leaving Little Shop July 16th. Will be announcing what’s next soon.” It has three old fashioned microphones next to it. Anyone have any ideas?

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#2Matt Doyle’s Next
Posted: 6/7/23 at 8:19am

Sinatra 

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#3Matt Doyle’s Next
Posted: 6/7/23 at 8:45am

Incredibly ominous thread title.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

gibsons2
#4Matt Doyle’s Next
Posted: 6/7/23 at 10:23am

GlindatheGood22 said: "Incredibly ominous thread title."

Mousetrap

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#5Matt Doyle’s Next
Posted: 6/7/23 at 10:50am

Matt Doyle’s Next

Dollypop
#6Matt Doyle’s Next
Posted: 6/7/23 at 11:01am

How about THE ODD COUPLE opposite Max Clayton?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Producer2 Profile Photo
Producer2
#7Matt Doyle’s Next
Posted: 6/7/23 at 11:28am

Anthony replacement in Sweeney Todd

Hairspray0901
#8Matt Doyle’s Next
Posted: 6/7/23 at 11:41am

Producer2 said: "Anthony replacement in Sweeney Todd"

Unfortunately it’s not this!

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#9Matt Doyle’s Next
Posted: 7/10/23 at 9:35am

He posted on Threads that it’ll be announced on tomorrow, so I guess we’ll see!

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#10Matt Doyle’s Next
Posted: 7/10/23 at 10:50am

Dollypop said: "How about THE ODD COUPLE opposite Max Clayton?"

Oh I would quite enjoy this

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#11Matt Doyle’s Next
Posted: 7/10/23 at 11:07am

Dollypop said: "How about THE ODD COUPLE opposite Max Clayton?"

Unfortunately, about a year ago the NY Times poached famed sportswriter Oscar Madison from his longtime job at the NY Post. So now he's out of a job since the NYT just shut down the Sports section.

So now he's an even worse roommate because he's home all the time and is late on his rent.

Updated On: 7/10/23 at 11:07 AM

Jarethan
#12Matt Doyle’s Next
Posted: 7/10/23 at 11:42am

gibsons2 said: "GlindatheGood22 said: "Incredibly ominous thread title."

Mousetrap
"

There's definitely a role he would be perfect for in Mousetrap.  He and Clayton are not big enough for The Odd Couple, which has always had stars in the leads.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#13Matt Doyle’s Next
Posted: 7/10/23 at 1:01pm

I'll be his next - oh wait, that's not what he meant. Dang.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#14Matt Doyle’s Next
Posted: 7/10/23 at 3:07pm

Matt Doyle’s Next

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#15Matt Doyle’s Next
Posted: 7/10/23 at 8:17pm

Hairspray0901 said: "Producer2 said: "Anthony replacement in Sweeney Todd"

Unfortunately it’s not this!
"

Sinatra

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 7/11/23 at 08:17 PM

Theatrefan2
Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#17Matt Doyle’s Next
Posted: 7/11/23 at 5:44am

YAY! I’m so happy for him!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

binau Profile Photo
binau
#18Matt Doyle’s Next
Posted: 7/11/23 at 6:07am

Unexpected but I might be able to check this out and will report back lol.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#19Matt Doyle’s Next
Posted: 7/11/23 at 6:35am

binau said: "Unexpected but I might be able to check this out and will report back lol."

Unexpected? Its literally in post #2, from a month ago!

But, personally, another bio-musical? Ugh. It does seem like a good fit though

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#20Matt Doyle’s Next
Posted: 7/11/23 at 6:46am

Well it wouldn’t surprise anyone to think I thought he was going into the new Sondheim musical as per some other posts. Didn’t think it would be an out of town tryout in a random UK city. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#21Matt Doyle’s Next
Posted: 7/11/23 at 6:57am

LOL, I have to admit I didn't read carefully and my first thought was:  " Birmingham,  ALABAMA?  Thats new for a World Premeire.  "

How random is this as a tryout location? (I know VERY little about theater in the UK, beyond the West End (and even that is scant.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#22Matt Doyle’s Next
Posted: 7/13/23 at 8:30pm

Matt Doyle’s Next

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#23Matt Doyle’s Next
Posted: 7/14/23 at 12:04am

dramamama611 said: "LOL, I have to admit I didn't read carefully and my first thought was: " Birmingham, ALABAMA? Thats new for a World Premeire. "

How random is this as a tryout location? (I know VERY little about theater in the UK, beyond the West End (and even that is scant.)
"

Not sure why it's being described as 'random' but Birmingham is the second largest city--after London--in the UK.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#24Matt Doyle’s Next
Posted: 7/14/23 at 8:36am

Well, I guess sorry to be so London-centric but I think '2nd biggest' doesn't quite articulate the difference in stature between the two places. It's not like the difference between NYC and LA. And I think it's fair to say that it is highly unusual for a very well known NYC Director and Tony-award winning Broadway actor to launch a brand new show there. Has it ever happened before?

JasonC3
#25Matt Doyle’s Next
Posted: 7/14/23 at 8:55am

But well known directors and Tony-award winning stars routinely are part of out-of-town tryouts in the US in smaller cities like Seattle.    This is just the UK version.