2024 Tony Awards

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#1252024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/12/24 at 10:56am

Broadway Flash said: "Some of you have really convinced yourselves back to the future won’t get in. Theres a shock coming come May."

BTTF will get design nominations and perhaps an acting nod for somebody. Folks in the industry- yknow, the people who nominate- do not think highly of the show.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#1262024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/12/24 at 11:09am

Back to the Future won’t even be the best Huey Lewis musical by the time the Tony Awards roll around.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#1272024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/12/24 at 11:10am

They didn’t think highly of NYNY either and that sh*thole got in.  BTTF is actually good though. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#1282024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/12/24 at 11:16am

Broadway Flash said: "They didn’t think highly of NYNY either and that sh*thole got in. BTTF is actually good though."

They loved the team behind NYNY and in particular it was a way to honor Kander & Ebb. And you think BTTF is good- many others do not. Awards are not about what you think should win. Factors go into nominations that are separate from quality.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 2/12/24 at 11:16 AM

Broadway Flash
#1292024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/12/24 at 12:50pm

John Rando and many people who worked on that show are very well liked in the biz.  But it won’t stop the haters from trying to manifest BTTF out of the Tony nominations.  It’s coming whether people like it or not, and frankly, I think it’s one of the front runners to win Best Musical.  

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#1302024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/12/24 at 2:24pm

Dude, what is your obsession with trying to be RIGHT about everything? 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#1312024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/12/24 at 2:35pm

Kad said: "Broadway Flash said: "They didn’t think highly of NYNY either and that sh*thole got in. BTTF is actually good though."

They loved the team behind NYNY and in particular it was a way to honor Kander & Ebb. And you think BTTF is good- many others do not. Awards are not about what you think should win. Factors go into nominations that are separate from quality.
"

I would say it's simpler than that. I'd wager good money that NYNY got significantly less votes than the other 4 nominees, but it's only real competition for a nom was A Beautiful Noise, so it got in. Back to the Future will be facing MUCH stiffer competition. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#1322024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/12/24 at 2:45pm

Broadway Flash said: "John Rando and many people who worked on that show are very well liked in the biz. But it won’t stop the haters from trying to manifest BTTF out of the Tony nominations. It’s coming whether people like it or not, and frankly, I think it’s one of the front runners to win Best Musical."

Frankly, baby, I don’t think you could predict rain in Seattle.

JSquared2
#1332024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/12/24 at 3:17pm

Broadway Flash said: "John Rando and many people who worked on that show are very well liked in the biz. But it won’t stop the haters from trying to manifest BTTF out of the Tony nominations. It’s coming whether people like it or not, and frankly, I think it’s one of the front runners to win Best Musical."

This is ALMOST as good as your predictions last year that BAD CINDERELLA would sweep the awards season and be a HUGE hit!!

Broadway Flash
#1342024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/12/24 at 5:36pm

It’s not about being right, it’s about people dismissing my opinions. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#1352024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/12/24 at 5:44pm

Broadway Flash said: "It’s not about being right, it’s about people dismissing my opinions."

Maybe examine why they're being dismissed.

dramamama611
#1362024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/12/24 at 5:49pm

Disagreeing with you isn't the same as being dismissive. Bulldozing others with your opinion (always stated as fact) is no way to encourage discourse. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#1372024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/12/24 at 5:51pm

Broadway Flash said: "It’s not about being right, it’s about people dismissing my opinions."

Maybe it's because you have nothing to back up your opinions! You're the same one who said Bad Cinderella was gonna be the best musical ever last year and that all ALW musicals should go to the Winter Garden. Oh wait, I also remember you said BTTF would not last long. That's another reason why we dismiss your opinions because you unexpectedly shift from one side of the argument to the next. Why don't you do us all a favor and stop your unnecessary trolling!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Dylan Smith4
#1382024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/12/24 at 5:58pm

Broadway Flash said: "Back to the future is more likely to be a flop. Who the hell wants to see that?  It’ll be gone by years end." 

This is from January 2023! Boy, did this not age well for ya! Just to prove my point, here's the thread you created talking about this!

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1155389&page=3

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Broadway Flash
#1392024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/12/24 at 6:56pm

Yes proof I need to stop listening to critics because they clearly have no taste and know nothing.  That was before I saw it and realized what a masterpiece this musical is. 

dramamama611
#1402024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/12/24 at 7:22pm

You are unbelievable.

Dylan Smith4
#1412024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/12/24 at 7:50pm

Broadway Flash said: "Yes proof I need to stop listening to critics because they clearly have no taste and know nothing. That was before I saw it and realized what a masterpiece this musical is."

No taste? You really need to watch what you say there buddy! Criticism is key to theatre. Just because one may not agree with what you think doesn't make them have no taste! Take Jesse Green of NYT, I personally do not care for some of his reviews but I respect him as a journalist as should you!

As for BTTF, I enjoyed it. Is it a musical masterpiece? No. But it's a FUN show. There's a difference between a show being a masterpiece and fun. Something you really need to get a better understanding of!

But hey, you don't give a s*** and that is just who you are I guess! Even when people politely ask you to stop and think, your response is for us to "suck your d***!" Do us all a big relief and grow the f*** up!

FLarnhill Profile Photo
FLarnhill
#1422024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/12/24 at 9:56pm

Jeremy Strong and Brian D'Arcy James shall win the Best Leading Actor in their respective categories. No debate.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#1432024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/12/24 at 10:56pm

I don't know why I'm engaging in this silly BTTF conversation but whatever. I think it will definitely get design noms. I think there's an small to medium sized chance for Roger Bart. I don't see it getting Best Musical, Best Score or Best Book nods. The spring shows would have to underwhelm in a major way for that to happen.

My current predictions for Best Musical are: Hell's Kitchen, The Notebook, The Outsiders, Suffs and Water For Elephants. With Lempicka and The Great Gatsby as possible spoilers.

getatme
#1442024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/12/24 at 11:33pm

"Jeremy Strong and Brian D'Arcy James shall win the Best Leading Actor in their respective categories. No debate."

I can't imagine a world where Jonathan Groff doesn't win this year. Brian is very good in Days of Wine and Roses, but I feel like Groff has all the momentum and his show will still be running. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1452024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/12/24 at 11:37pm

I’d still put my money on Groff, as well. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1462024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/12/24 at 11:38pm

Best Actor's a crazy field between BDJ and Groff (and Redmayne, because sometimes voters like to vote for "Most Actor").

LuckyDipster Profile Photo
LuckyDipster
#1472024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/13/24 at 6:06am

I very much enjoyed Groff in Merrily, but when I think back on that show, it's character moments from Radcliffe and Sabares-Klemm (covering for Mendez) that I remember.  As for Roger in BTTF, I'm definitely not getting my hopes up about that.  It would be a wonderful surprise if it happened, but I'm not expecting it.  Doc doesn't feel like that kind of role, but then he did win for playing a dog so what do I know? 

😄

dramamama611
#1482024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/13/24 at 7:07am

I walked out of Days and said to my companion: Groff just lost the Tony. They are both crazy deserving but I think BDJ has the more difficult role.

Just my two cents. 

lopside
#1492024 Tony Awards
Posted: 2/13/24 at 8:07am

Jeremy Strong is in a Sam Gold production. To consider the quality of the production to be a foregone conclusion is certainly optimistic.