Glenda Jackson has died, age 87

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#1Glenda Jackson has died, age 87
Posted: 6/15/23 at 7:36am

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Glenda-Jackson-Dies-Aged-87-20230615

A great loss. What a life. Her performance in Three Tall Women is seared into my brain; one of the most spectacular stage performances I’ve ever had the privilege of seeing.

ElephantLoveMedley
#2Glenda Jackson has died, age 87
Posted: 6/15/23 at 9:21am

I will never forget seeing her in Three Tall Women (can't believe that production is now over five years old). She was absolutely staggering and breathtaking. One of the finest actors of our time.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#3Glenda Jackson has died, age 87
Posted: 6/15/23 at 9:59am

I’m sad I didn’t get to see her in Three Tall Women. What a legend. May she rest in peace! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

OhHiii
#4Glenda Jackson has died, age 87
Posted: 6/15/23 at 10:54am

Three Tall Women is and will remain a top theatre going experience for me. She and Laurie both made that show extraordinary, but Glenda was it's soul.

Fordham2015
#5Glenda Jackson has died, age 87
Posted: 6/15/23 at 11:08am

Three Tall Women was extraordinary, but I also want to beat the drum for King Lear. I didn't love all of Sam Gold's directorial choices, but Glenda was an absolute powerhouse.

Jarethan
#6Glenda Jackson has died, age 87
Posted: 6/15/23 at 11:09am

I saw her in every single Broadway appearance except Marat-Sade (I was 15 years old at the time) and thought she was outstanding in every one of them, especially the reviled King Lear.  The problem with that production, which I liked immensely because of her performance, was that no one else in the cast was giving the type of performance needed to complement hers (with the exception of Ruth Wilson).

There are not a lot of people you can say are truly unique...she was one of them.  Thank goodness she managed to perform twice in NYC in her 80s!  Just amazing.  

Her story has to make a good book or movie.

BETTY22
#7Glenda Jackson has died, age 87
Posted: 6/15/23 at 11:30am

A life well lived. Rest in peace 

jagman1062 Profile Photo
jagman1062
#8Glenda Jackson has died, age 87
Posted: 6/15/23 at 12:39pm

A marvelous actress. I saw her in Rose back in 1981, which featured Jessica Tandy as Jackson's character's mother. I missed Jackson Interlude in the mid-80s, and I regret it. I was thrilled to see her in Three Tall Women earning a well-deserved Tony, but I can kick myself for not seeing King Lear even though I had tickets because of the lackluster reviews/WOM. You'd think I'd know by now that no one lives forever. May she RIP; she had an extraordinary life.

Blue_Lotus Profile Photo
Blue_Lotus
#9Glenda Jackson has died, age 87
Posted: 6/15/23 at 1:56pm

Echoing the sentiments here that this is a great loss. She left her indelible stamp on every role she played. A tour de force performance in WOMEN IN LOVE being one of them. 

...i am an infinite soul in a human body who is in the process of never ending growth...

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#10Glenda Jackson has died, age 87
Posted: 6/15/23 at 2:38pm

I am grateful that Scott Rudin was able to persuade her to return to Broadway, not once but twice. I loved 3TW and respected the swings of that Lear even tho I didn't think it was artistically successful.

ManOfLaMuncha
#11Glenda Jackson has died, age 87
Posted: 6/15/23 at 11:03pm

Blue_Lotus said: "Echoing the sentiments here that this is a great loss. She left her indelible stamp on every role she played. A tour de force performance in WOMEN IN LOVE being one of them."

I was looking for that movie on Tubi the other night, and ended up watching another favorite starring Glenda and Peter Finch..."Sunday Bloody Sunday"...and Murray Head was so handsome in that.  I envy all of you who have seen her live on the stage.  She was one of a kind!

Updated On: 6/15/23 at 11:03 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#12Glenda Jackson has died, age 87
Posted: 6/16/23 at 11:11am

Even though she was 87, she seemed like she’d be around and working for years to come. A massive loss, but how wonderful she had a triumphant Broadway return just a few years ago. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#13Glenda Jackson has died, age 87
Posted: 6/16/23 at 11:24am

Rest in Peace, Glenda Jackson 🫅 

In addition to Three Tall Women, I watched her play King Lear - which was nearly 4 (almost) interrupted hours on stage, at age 83, and then afterwards, she came out and greeted us like she was your salty British grandma, cigarette in hand, acting like she didn’t just do a whole Shakespeare drama.

Your favorite could NEVER!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ctgpdh9uIDg/?igshid=ZWQyN2ExYTkwZQ==

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm
Updated On: 6/16/23 at 11:24 AM

ijest22
#14Glenda Jackson has died, age 87
Posted: 6/16/23 at 11:52am

Here’s my Glenda Jackson story: in 1981, I saw my first Broadway show, which was Rose with Glenda Jackson.  Seeing her in person, I was completely enthralled.  After the show, I was waiting for her autograph, and she  invited me to sit in her limousine with her while she signed my play bill. While this was going on, my friends, who had seen the Pirates of Penzance, showed up. They were quite excited to see me with Glenda Jackson, and they promptly handed her their Pirates of Penzance playbills to sign. She looked aghast,  and said to them, you mean you  didn’t see my play? She then graciously signed their Pirates of Penzance play bills.  When she returned to Broadway in Three Tall Women, I waited outside in the line to get her autograph. When she came by, I told her I had seen her in Rose and how pleased I was to see her back on Broadway. She looked at me oddly and said, you must’ve been a baby.  She will be sorely missed, but she will live on forever ever through her film work. So glad that I actually got to see her on stage.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#15Glenda Jackson has died, age 87
Posted: 6/16/23 at 3:36pm

May she rest in peace.

It's a shame that THREE TALL WOMEN wasn't captured for broadcast on Great Performances.

BarnabyTucker Profile Photo
BarnabyTucker
#16Glenda Jackson has died, age 87
Posted: 6/16/23 at 4:54pm

I will never forget how her spirit and presence towered over the company and audience in Lear.  She more than made up for a terribly misguided production.

She made that ticket worth every penny.

LarryD2
#17Glenda Jackson has died, age 87
Posted: 6/16/23 at 5:07pm

Kad said: "Even though she was 87, she seemed like she’d be around and working for years to come. A massive loss, but how wonderful she had a triumphant Broadway return just a few years ago."

Yes, I always thought it was a bit ironic that she retired from politics, citing that she was too old for the work -- then immediately threw herself into playing some of the most challenging stage roles in the repertoire throughout her eighties. And she worked right up until the end, filming a new movie opposite Michael Caine earlier this year. Sounds like it really was a sudden and unexpected illness that felled her. Jackson will be remembered for having one of the most distinctive and memorable careers of the past half-century.

AllThatJazz2
#18Glenda Jackson has died, age 87
Posted: 6/16/23 at 9:01pm

I was so sorry to see this news. She was formidable in Lear and made that ticket absolutely worth it, and her performance in Three Tall Women was superb. I’m so grateful to have gotten to see her on stage twice. And she was very kind and funny at the stage door. May she rest in peace.