pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23
Posted: 6/20/23 at 3:43pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 6/18/2023 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: FUNNY GIRL (33.3%), LEOPOLDSTADT (21.2%), PETER PAN GOES WRONG (10.4%), GOOD NIGHT, OSCAR (8.6%), PRIMA FACIE (7.4%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (5.3%), PARADE (3.8%), HADESTOWN (3.4%), KIMBERLY AKIMBO (3.4%), SUMMER, 1976 (2.6%), SOME LIKE IT HOT (2%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (1.5%), NEW YORK, NEW YORK (1.5%), ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME (1.5%), ALADDIN (1.2%), THE LION KING (0.9%), & JULIET (0.9%), WICKED (0.5%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (0.5%), HAMILTON (0.2%), FAT HAM (0.2%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN'S WINDOW (-8.6%), A BEAUTIFUL NOISE, THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL (-4.3%), LIFE OF PI (-3.7%), GREY HOUSE (-3.5%), SHUCKED (-2.8%), SIX (-2.7%), MJ THE MUSICAL (-2.3%), CAMELOT (-0.8%), CHICAGO (-0.8%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

MerchMan
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23
Posted: 6/20/23 at 3:49pm

Great to see Shucked really picking up steam!!!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23
Posted: 6/20/23 at 3:52pm

That's what we love to see after the Tony Awards!

Oh look, a bibu!

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23
Posted: 6/20/23 at 3:53pm

Let's hope Kimberly Akimbo continues to get their Tony Boost! So happy to see it getting the love it deserves!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

BCfitasafiddle
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23
Posted: 6/20/23 at 4:01pm

GREAT week! Kimberly, Shucked, SLIH, Parade, Camelot, Leopoldstadt. So great!! Hope it's only up from here. Also, Lea Michele being away for a week is rough. 1 million dollar difference. Woof. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23
Posted: 6/20/23 at 4:12pm

Great week all around!!!!!

Keep in mind that a few of the shows with big sales jumps only played 7 shows the previous week: Kimberly, NYNY, Shucked, Camelot, and Hamilton. So the return to an 8-show week is partially to blame for the spike in numbers. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23
Posted: 6/20/23 at 4:15pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "Let's hope Kimberly Akimbo continues to get their Tony Boost! So happy to see it getting the love it deserves!"

Are they selling SRO for Kimberly Akimbo now?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

barcelona20
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23
Posted: 6/20/23 at 4:16pm

Better but remains to be seen if it's just a temporary increase.  Avg ticket price for Kimberly, NYNY, Shucked, SLIH still needs to go up for them to be truly profitable, especially NYNY and SLIH.

DrMonicaDeMoneco Profile Photo
DrMonicaDeMoneco
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23
Posted: 6/20/23 at 4:17pm

Wow look how good all the shows did! That’s amazing! See, the Tony Awards are necessary 

Show Me
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23
Posted: 6/20/23 at 4:19pm

Sweeney Todd had its best week yet. I knew that Sound Design win would take it over the top! 🤣.

(BTW, good sound design isn’t about being able to hear an ensemble member suppress a sneeze at Wicked or Moulin Rouge. And not about expecting an ear bud experience. And not about thinking that Mrs. Lovett should be sitting in your lap while she sings in your ear.)

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23
Posted: 6/20/23 at 4:23pm

Summer grosses are HOT. 

InTheBathroom1
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23
Posted: 6/20/23 at 4:38pm

Also interesting to note that the Broadway Theatre advertises a capacity of 1761 and their "sold out" for Here Lies Love is 1007.  Means they cut down the capacity in the space by about 754.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23
Posted: 6/20/23 at 4:52pm

Show Me said: "(BTW, good sound design isn’t about being able to hear an ensemble member suppress a sneeze at Wicked or Moulin Rouge. And not about expecting an ear bud experience. And not about thinking that Mrs. Lovett should be sitting in your lap while she sings in your ear.)"

No, but it is partially about good mixing and sound balance, which the show does not have.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23
Posted: 6/20/23 at 5:10pm

InTheBathroom1 said: "Also interesting to note that the Broadway Theatre advertises a capacity of 1761 and their "sold out" for Here Lies Love is 1007. Means they cut down the capacity in the space by about 754."

Yup, I believe something in the low 1,000s was the announced plan all along. For perspective, that puts it around the same size as the Music Box, Studio 54, and Belasco.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23
Posted: 6/20/23 at 5:13pm

Awesome week for most!

All time high for Kimberly. Leopoldtstat should have a nice final couple weeks after its win. Nice increases for Shucked, & Juliet and SLIH. Not bad for NYNY either although I still think that gross is a little underwhelming. On the flip side, I think the worst week was had by A Beautiful Noise. OUAOMT continues to be soft too.

BossBroadway
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23
Posted: 6/20/23 at 5:13pm

It should be noted that this is the highest SLIH's average ticket price has gone, and the highest weekly grosses for an 8 performance week since it started previews. This is GREAT news for that show. It's making a profit now, which could last them through January. It will not close by labor day, but NYNY probably will. Kimberly Akimbo has good numbers, but needs to be hitting 750k to really last past labor day. I could see KA closing by Thanksgiving. Shucked is good through the summer and fall, probably hitting a stump around October or November, but last through January so it can last through the holidays at least one throughout its run. & Juliet is great through summer of next year. I think it's evident that Camelot won't extend again. 

For shows outside of the Tony's, Grey House is out by end of July. Hadestown is out by the new year. 

perfectpenguin
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23
Posted: 6/20/23 at 5:19pm

I don’t understand why suddenly everyone is wishing for Hadestown to close. 

hearthemsing22
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23
Posted: 6/20/23 at 5:20pm

The Lion King ....holy. Wow. I'm so glad it's chugging along in the $2M club! 

Mr. Wormwood
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23
Posted: 6/20/23 at 5:29pm

BossBroadway said: "It should be noted that this is the highest SLIH's average ticket price has gone, and the highest weekly grosses for an 8 performance week since it started previews. This is GREAT news for that show. It's making a profit now, which could last them through January. It will not close by labor day, but NYNY probably will. Kimberly Akimbo has good numbers, but needs to be hitting 750k to really last past labor day. I could see KA closing by Thanksgiving. Shucked is good through the summer and fall, probably hitting a stump around October or November, but last through January so it can last through the holidays at least one throughout its run. & Juliet is great through summer of next year. I think it's evident that Camelot won't extend again.

For shows outside of the Tony's, Grey House is out by end of July. Hadestown is out by the new year.
"

I agree it was a good week for SLIH but I still wouldn't count on it making it past Labor Day. It won't be getting anywhere close to these grosses in the fall.

BossBroadway
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23
Posted: 6/20/23 at 5:35pm

I'm not wishing for Hadestown to fail, but it's barely profiting. It costs at least 625-650k per week to run. It's had a good and decent run, it's just not making what it needs to to sustain itself after January. 

As for SLIH, if it stays over 1 million up until Labor Day and stays over 900k after that, it will continue to run through the holidays. It's not going to close before Labor Day if it is still profiting. The Shuberts are lead producers on this show and will keep it open as long as it's not losing any more money. 

Mr. Wormwood
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23
Posted: 6/20/23 at 5:38pm

BossBroadway said: "I'm not wishing for Hadestown to fail, but it's barely profiting. It costs at least 625-650k per week to run. It's had a good and decent run, it's just not making what it needs to to sustain itself after January.

As for SLIH, if it stays over 1 million up until Labor Day and stays over 900k after that, it will continue to run through the holidays. It's not going to close before Labor Day if it is still profiting. The Shuberts are lead producers on this show and will keep it open as long as it's not losing any more money.
"

I think it'll have great weeks in the summer. But asking it to stay above 900k after Labor Day is a tall order and producers are of course looking ahead at future grosses. So I don't doubt that it does well this summer but I think anticipation of a tough fall could prompt a closing somewhere around Labor Day. Time will tell.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23
Posted: 6/20/23 at 5:38pm

One thing to note for Akimbo is that it was on TDF for this whole week right up until the Tonys, so there is def still a decent number of discounted seats. Whether or not they can continue doing this good for a sustained amount of time, I would expect that their grosses will go up the next couple weeks as more and more tickets are sold at full-price. 

Show Me
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23
Posted: 6/20/23 at 5:52pm

How does the loan taken out for SLIH work? Is the total added to the capitalization, or just the interest? Is it somehow built into the weekly running costs, or paid off before recoupment or added to the loss at the end of the run?

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23
Posted: 6/20/23 at 5:56pm

BossBroadway said: "I'm not wishing for Hadestown to fail, but it's barely profiting. It costs at least 625-650k per week to run. It's had a good and decent run, it's just not making what it needs to to sustain itself after January.

"

I wonder if what truly killed Hadestown's chances of lasting was resigning Eva and Reeve for a long term contract.

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

BossBroadway
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/18/23
Posted: 6/20/23 at 6:08pm

How does the loan taken out for SLIH work? Is the total added to the capitalization, or just the interest? Is it somehow built into the weekly running costs, or paid off before recoupment or added to the loss at the end of the run?

I'm pretty sure the loan for SLIH was from Mariah Carey...because it's initial investment was $16.5 million before she joined and after it was $19 million. I'd imagine they would pay that off first since it's more of a loan situation, but they're probably putting some money away for the other investors. 

I wonder if what truly killed Hadestown's chances of lasting was resigning Eva and Reeve for a long term contract.

This is definitely what killed them. It's started to feel stale and it needs new life. They need new leads. Not even a stunt cast, just new cast members to keep the broadway community coming back.