News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition- Page 5

Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition

Ensemble2014
#100Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/27/23 at 11:59am

The Wiz is 100% going into The Majestic

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#101Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/27/23 at 12:27pm

gibsons2 said: "Any rumors on Suffs? Is Lempicka still happening? Both are original musicals."

I saw Jenn Colella in June in San Francisco. She mentioned that "hopefully by this time next year" Suffs would be on Broadway, and mentioned the recent workshop. 

So it sounds like the will is there, but it'll depend on financing / house availability / etc. 

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#102Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/27/23 at 12:28pm

hearthemsing22 said: "gibsons2 said: "Any rumors on Suffs? Is Lempicka still happening? Both are original musicals."

I think Shaina Taub said she wanted the end of this year ideally, because she also wanted to tweak the show?
"

Lempicka was rumored to happen if the Walter Kerr closed, but friends that were part of the latest development reading said the book was completely revamped but still didn't feel Bway ready

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

gibsons2
#103Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/27/23 at 12:32pm

Voter said: "hearthemsing22 said: "gibsons2 said: "Any rumors on Suffs? Is Lempicka still happening? Both are original musicals."

I think Shaina Taub said she wanted the end of this year ideally, because she also wanted to tweak the show?
"

Lempicka was rumored to happen if the Walter Kerr closed, but friends that were part of the latest development reading said the book was completely revamped but still didn't feel Bway ready
"

That's a shame... The Lempicka score is absolutely exquisite. 

DCS
#104Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/27/23 at 1:09pm

Lempicka was rumored to happen if the Walter Kerr closed, but friends that were part of the latest development reading said the book was completely revamped but still didn't feel Bway ready"

That's good news about the book being revamped.  I saw the show in La Jolla and, while the score was terrific, the book and direction were very unfocused. I hope they get it in shape and Bway ready sometime soon.  I know Eden is now tied up this Fall with The Gardens of Anuncia at the Mitzi Newhouse - I can't imagine the Lempicka team will move forward without her in the lead...she pretty much carried the whole show in La Jolla.

thephantomlurker
#105Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/27/23 at 1:33pm

Lempicka was never going to the Kerr. The Kerr is too small. The fate of Lempicka seems to be up in there air atm.

The Wiz is not going to the Majestic. The Wiz will likely take the Lunt after Sweeney closes later this year.

If Days of Wine and Roses transfers look for it to be the Lyceum.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#106Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/28/23 at 11:53am

We haven't heard anything about the Longacre.  What's the speculation on that one?

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#107Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/31/23 at 3:45pm

Update:

The Notebook was going to go to the Jacobs, it will now be going into the Schoenfeld for the spring

Chess/Tommy/and two other musicals are fighting over the Jacobs, but only Chess has done a site visit

Hadestown is having "major" stunt casting coming in in the spring to keep Hadestown in the Kerr, so any shows anticipating that becoming vacant have been told to adjust their expectations

No idea if Here Lies Love will last past it's January 2024 selling block... looking at grosses, probably not, but they spent at least 8 figures on this show... investors are gonna want their money back or we'll have light shows for the next 2-3 years (meaning prominent investors will guard their $$$ and go AWOL for future shows)

There are musicals ready to hop into the Broadhurst at a moment's notice if ABN closes 

Lots of shows announcing they are "Broadway bound" yet very few meeting capitalization... investors just aren't biting like they used to given the string of flops and the economic climate. It leads to a bottleneck of sorts. 

Anyway, that's your wrap up from me!

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#108Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/31/23 at 4:57pm

Voter said: "No idea if Here Lies Love will last past it's January 2024 selling block... looking at grosses, probably not, but they spent at least 8 figures on this show... investors are gonna want their money back or we'll have light shows for the next 2-3 years (meaning prominent investors will guard their $$$ and go AWOL for future shows)"

Sorry, I think maybe I'm misunderstanding. Are you saying that the amount of money that investors put into Broadway for the next 2-3 years entirely depends on the success of Here Lies Love or just that it would be a contributing factor as part of the bad climate in general?

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#109Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/31/23 at 5:08pm

jkcohen626 said: "Voter said: "No idea if Here Lies Love will last past it's January 2024 selling block... looking at grosses, probably not, but they spent at least 8 figures on this show... investors are gonna want their money back or we'll have light shows for the next 2-3 years (meaning prominent investors will guard their $$$ and go AWOL for future shows)"

Sorry, I think maybe I'm misunderstanding. Are you saying that the amount of money that investors put into Broadway for the next 2-3 years entirely depends on the success of Here Lies Love or just that it would be a contributing factor as part of the bad climate in general?
"

The second part. A huge flop like HLL is disastrous for the state of investor relations. 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#110Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/31/23 at 5:20pm

I hope The Who's Tommy takes the Jacobs.  The last two Best Musical Revivals were in that theatre.  Any word on the Imperial?

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#111Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/31/23 at 5:49pm

Very interesting stuff, Voter!

I'm curious about the Hadestown stunt casting.

I have seen speculation for The Wiz at the Majestic, St. James & Lunt (post Sweeney). Which one is to be believed?

I assume there are prospective tenants hoping the Shubert is available in the Spring?

perfectpenguin
#112Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/31/23 at 5:54pm

Who’s the Hadestown stunt casting?? Can you say which character it’s for? 

Also looking forward to The Wiz! The Fulton in Lancaster is doing a regional production so I might check it out.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#113Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/31/23 at 7:41pm

If shows are ready, why would they wait for the Broadhurst specifically if other theatres were available?

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#114Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/31/23 at 8:09pm

perfectpenguin said: "Who’s the Hadestown stunt casting?? Can you say which character it’s for?"

I have no insider knowledge, but I'd guess Hermes just because Hermes can have the broadest casting call. Hermes can be any gender, has a pretty wide age range (basically just reading older than the main couple), and is not particularly vocally or physically intense. You basically just need to have gravitas and be able to hold a tune. Lilias White's contract also expires in February, so the timing would be perfect. 

jagman1062 Profile Photo
jagman1062
#115Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/31/23 at 8:16pm

To the OP: You indicate Spamalot is rumored for Studio 54, but there's another thread saying that it's rumored for the St. James with an official announcement coming tomorrow,

Fosse76
#116Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 7/31/23 at 9:36pm

Voter said: "Update:

The Notebook was going to go to the Jacobs, it will now be going into the Schoenfeld for the spring"

Is the date the update? It’s been known to go into the Schoenfeld since the beginning of July (I'm not sure how The Who's Tommy got in there). I think the only uncertainty was when. The rumor was November (the Shuberts were caught off guard by Life of Pi's closing), but I'd heard it might be the Spring only last week.

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#117Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 8/1/23 at 12:53am

inception said: "If shows are ready, why would they wait for the Broadhurst specifically if other theatres were available?"

There are a number of factors that go into shows setting their sights on particular houses even when others are open. Among the MANY factors you have first and foremost what house will be able to fit the show and it's assets? What kind of wing space does a show need/house have? If there are certain tech elements that are important, can a house accommodate it? Certain producers prefer to work with certain theatre owners so some may ONLY be interested in a Shubert house or a Nederlander one. The amount of seats is a big factor in what house a show will aim for. A smaller scale show is not going to want to go into a massive space they will struggle to fill. When can they move in? Some shows might want a spring opening so can't/won't take a house open NOW because they don't have the capital to stay open until awards so they put themselves on a waitlist for a house that is likely to be open post holiday season rather than right away. 

For many of these reasons, the Broadhurst is VERY desirable house at this time. ABN is not likely to last the holiday season and is likely heading for a January close, leaving it the perfect spot for a midsized show that wants to open as close to awards as possible. Hence, the battle on the waitlist begins.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#118Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 8/1/23 at 12:59am

It’s also just a never good moderate size for most shows. It’s got good location, and no balcony. 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#119Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 8/1/23 at 11:49am

And just to provide some numbers, the Broadhurst has up to 1218 seats (depending on configuration). That's 1-200 more than the main group of mid-size 1000-1100-seat Shubert theatres (the Music Box, Broadway right now , Barrymore, Belasco, Longacre, Schoenfeld, Jacobs, James Earl Jones, Ambassador). It also has a fantastic seating ratio with a huge 724-person orchestra and no rear mezzanine. That means decently higher gross potential because you have more "good" seats that you can charge more for.

I imagine it makes it appealing to any show that couldn't fill a 1500+-seat theatre but is on the more expensive side to run (like Neil Diamond). 

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#120Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 8/1/23 at 12:06pm

Fosse76 said: "Voter said: "Update:

The Notebook was going to go to the Jacobs, it will now be going into the Schoenfeld for the spring"

Is the date the update? It’s been known to go into the Schoenfeld since the beginning of July (I'm not sure how The Who's Tommy got in there). I think the only uncertainty was when. The rumor was November (the Shuberts were caught off guard by Life of Pi's closing), but I'd heard it might be the Spring only last week.
"

The update is them going to the Schoenfeld instead of the Jacobs. Load in is happening in the Winter, hence a "spring" open. Tommy wants to go NOW while they still have WOM from Chicago OOT, hence them wanting the Jacobs but probably going somewhere else if Chess gets it

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#121Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 8/1/23 at 12:08pm

perfectpenguin said: "Who’s the Hadestown stunt casting?? Can you say which character it’s for?

Also looking forward to The Wiz! The Fulton in Lancaster is doing a regional production so I might check it out.
"

Unfortunately, if I had the names and didn't piss off any informants I have, I'd share them. But from what I gathered, it sounds like "names" bigger than Betty Who and Solea... it 100% sounds like some star/stunt casting for Orpheus if anything. That is sadly all the info I have

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#122Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 8/1/23 at 12:49pm

Maybe like a Shawn Mendes type? He's popular, but he's sort of fallen from the "It boy" status. So might be a good get.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#123Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 8/1/23 at 4:06pm

RippedMan said: "Maybe like a Shawn Mendes type? He's popular, but he's sort of fallen from the "It boy" status. So might be a good get."

Maybe someone that "type," but not him.  He cancelled an entire stadium tour due to issues with being unable to perform.  He seems happier in the studio.

chrishuyen
#124Empty Broadway Houses Summer 2023 Edition
Posted: 8/3/23 at 4:43pm

Are there any rumblings of something doing a limited run in the Schoenfeld before The Notebook?  There's definitely time to do a fall/holiday show for a few months.

Videos