pixeltracker

CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024- Page 5

CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#100CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 8/10/23 at 9:03pm

Broadway Flash said: "Any new rumors on the cast?"

Just be patient. There probably won't be an announcement till sometime this fall. The two leads will likely be announced first. Eddie Redmayne is likely the Emcee, but still nothing on who's Sally yet. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#101CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 8/10/23 at 9:31pm

jkcohen626 said: "thasanction22 said: "Sally Bowles is cast and is not being played by a movie star... she has one Broadway credit: the Alan Cumming revival of Cabaret"

I have a theory, but no idea if it's correct. This person's only Broadway credit is 2014 Cabaret, she was in a pretty big TV show but as a supporting character, she follow's the London production's Instagram, and she's set to debut in a massive TV franchise around the same time as the show, so her star might be on the rise.

Still seems like a strange pick to me.
"

CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024Gayle Rankin as Fraulein Kost Cabaret 2014 Broadway 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie516
#102CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 8/10/23 at 9:54pm

Wouldn’t be surprised I Redmayne and Rankin are announced the Tuesday after Funny Girl closes…day after Labor Day just makes sense…

Voter
#103CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 8/22/23 at 8:53pm

Does anyone know if performances are starting in March or April?

Robbie516
#104CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/9/23 at 6:15pm

Does anyone have any info on when the cast and on sale sates will be announced? 

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#105CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/9/23 at 6:38pm

Robbie516 said: "Does anyone have any info on when the cast and on sale sates will be announced?"

It’s gotta be soon, right?

Dylan Smith4
#106CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/9/23 at 7:23pm

Hopefully! I signed up for the pre-sale, so I hope to receive a code soon. As for casting, I would assume it would be announced within the next couple of months. From what I have heard, Eddie Redmayne is attached and is the only one coming from the London production. Can't wait to hear who else is in this cast. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

B212323
#107CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/9/23 at 10:48pm

Robbie2 said: "jkcohen626 said: "thasanction22 said: "Sally Bowles is cast and is not being played by a movie star... she has one Broadway credit: the Alan Cumming revival of Cabaret"

I have a theory, but no idea if it's correct. This person's only Broadway credit is 2014 Cabaret, she was in a pretty big TV show but as a supporting character, she follow's the London production's Instagram, and she's set to debut in a massive TV franchise around the same time as the show, so her star might be on the rise.

Still seems like a strange pick to me.
"

CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024Gayle Rankin as Fraulein Kost Cabaret 2014 Broadway
"

She's pretty buzzy within the industry. She was in Glow and the 1st season of Perry Mason. Being in House of The Dragon will definitely up her profile, though Im not sure when it's going to premiere in 2024. Maybe it's a clue to when the 2nd season will premiere. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#108CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/10/23 at 12:03am

we are our own worst enemies. we complain when stars are cast despite their dubious talent, and then we are skeptical when real theater actors are cast despite their lack of fame?

Rankin turned heads in a small role in Cabaret years ago. Shes got legit stage presence and cred. If Redmayne can pack em in, how wonderful that they will take a risk on Rankin?

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#109CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/10/23 at 9:56am

PipingHotPiccolo said: "we are our own worst enemies. we complain when stars are cast despite their dubious talent, and then we are skeptical when real theater actors are cast despite their lack of fame?"

A few thoughts: 1) Many times when big stars are cast, they do not have 'dubious talent', or at least are not correct for the role/production (Beanie in FG, Hugh in the recent Music Man). So people have a right to be leary of big movie stars being cast.

2) We are also at a point where almost nothing opens without big names. Gayle isn't a name in film or really on Broadway either. 

3) I don't think anyone is skeptical about Gayle being right for the role, just surprised that the production wouldn't want more of a name. I think she's an excellent choice - certainly more exciting to me than Michelle Williams in the last revival who bored me to tears (again, a star who wasn't right for the role).

Updated On: 9/10/23 at 09:56 AM

willep
#110CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/10/23 at 10:08am

Lol literally nobody here said anything “skeptical” about Rankin.

lopside
#111CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/10/23 at 10:52am

I think they didn't really want a star once Buckley was out for the transfer since they would want longevity for the production. Two well known names leaving after what is bound to be a limited run for the original cast could possibly deflate things. The production needs to be the star. Plus, I'm sure they were probably looking for someone who could do all the 8 shows for the first months and not have to have an alternate like all the well known London ones without any experience of doing musicals. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#112CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/10/23 at 12:11pm

Gayle Rankin is insanely talented and if cast, she will make an amazing Sally. 

east side story
#113CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/10/23 at 12:20pm

Buckley may not have wanted to do 8 shows a week in New York (no one does) but she is also shooting Chloe Zhao’s next film with Paul Mescal late spring/summer 2024, so Cabaret really wouldn’t have worked with that schedule.

I think Gayle Rankin will be fabulous, and I say that as someone who saw her play Fraulein Kost in 2014, while also considering Jessie Buckley’s Sally Bowles to be the greatest performance I’ve seen on stage in 20+ years. That performance was not for everyone, but she was absolutely electric. Redmayne called her “one of the greats” and I wholeheartedly agree.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#114CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/10/23 at 12:54pm

east side story said: "Buckley may not have wanted to do 8 shows a week in New York (no one does) but she is also shooting Chloe Zhao’s next film with Paul Mescal late spring/summer 2024, so Cabaret really wouldn’t have worked with that schedule.

Misread this and for one shining second thought we could be getting Betty Buckley as Schneider.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

east side story
#115CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/10/23 at 1:42pm

GlindatheGood22 said:

Misread this and for one shining second thought we could be getting Betty Buckley as Schneider.

"

OMG. 

Dylan Smith4
#116CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/10/23 at 2:10pm

GlindatheGood22 said: "Misread this and for one shining second thought we could be getting Betty Buckley as Schneider."

YES PLEASE!!!!!!!! Her or Bebe Neuwirth would be a perfect Schneider!

#117CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/10/23 at 4:09pm

Bebe Neuwirth is attached to something this Spring, could very well be this production. I hope that it isn't The Bedwetter.

Updated On: 9/10/23 at 04:09 PM

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#118CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/10/23 at 5:42pm

She’s in this. A very known unannounced casting. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#119CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/10/23 at 5:44pm

willep said: "Lol literally nobody here said anything “skeptical” about Rankin."

so by "literally nobody here said anything skeptical" i assume you missed the poster above saying shes a "strange" pick, which is what I was immediately reacting to, and the general confusion over her not being a big enough "star" which is what i was more broadly reacting to. 

and i wasnt coming for anyone, just pointing out how the Collective We seem to lament the need for celebrities to sell tickets, but then dont seem excited when a non-celebrity might get a plum role. Hard to fathom how this non-controversial point would generate such idiocy--lol! nobody said anything skeptical!-- but here we are.

I for one cant wait to see her.

tacotheatrelover Profile Photo
tacotheatrelover
#120CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/14/23 at 8:12am

If it's redmayne coming back does that we may get returns of other emcee's like say... Fra or Mason? Also give me Pierre Marais as the emcee understudy, i will fly out to see him as the emcee again.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#121CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/14/23 at 9:36am

tacotheatrelover said: "If it's redmayne coming back does that we may get returns of other emcee's like say... Fra or Mason? Also give me Pierre Marais as the emcee understudy, i will fly out to see him as the emcee again."

I really, really hope so. I was so mad to have missed Mason.

Also, Bebe is brilliant casting.

hak5 Profile Photo
hak5
#122CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/15/23 at 4:48pm

Any new info on when performances start?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#124CONFIRMED: CABARET at the August Wilson Theatre, Spring 2024
Posted: 9/20/23 at 1:34pm

That’s the kind of budget & operating expense that makes your teeth hurt.

They must have big hopes of turning this into an EXPERIENCE that can outlast Redmayne. I just don’t know if the appetite is there at that pricetag. It probably has better chances than HLL, but…I don’t know. (I also kind of question the reliance on Redmayne’s name alone to launch it. I know he has acclaim from London, but he feels like an actor who is known but not beloved…in fact, some people actively dislike his acting work.)

ATG kind of feels like the Netflix of Broadway: large volume of output and lavish spending, with the goal of attracting loyal talent and investors. But an end goal of being sold off from their private equity daddy isn’t always great.