pixeltracker

Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?

Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#1Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?
Posted: 9/14/23 at 4:41pm

I say wrong.

How much money does JK Rowling make from this, and what does she do with it? Who and what does she support?

Every young mind brought to this play is introduced to this woman, and she is given influence over them.

I'm sorry BroadwayWorld, I don't want to see the latest trailer for this show, and I believe you should stop supporting it. The sooner it closes the better. I believe the larger issue of trans lives is more important than giving these actors and crew work, great as that may be.

Has anyone considered becoming a Larry Kramer at the door as the crowds come out, passing out trans supportive literature?

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

KevinKlawitter
#2Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?
Posted: 9/14/23 at 4:57pm

It's up to everyone individually to decide.

My community theatre has bandied the possibility of doing a staged reading of Cursed Child for a few years now, and I made it clear I would not be personally involved in it should it happen.  For me it's easy because I'm the rare millennial who never read or watched any Harry Potter so I have no emotional connection to the stories or characters.  I can understand why it might be harder for others to make a clean break, though, especially since Rowling is more tangentially related to this show than to the other Potterverse works.

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#3Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?
Posted: 9/14/23 at 5:09pm

I understand the struggle. After much thought, I have still decided to read/watch/attend anything HP that I want to.

In this particular case, “Harry Potter” – and all it represents – feels much bigger than its creator. While I don’t support or agree with Rowling, I don’t see her closed mind represented in her art. In fact, her art often promotes love, acceptance, understanding, etc. Harry Potter has (and continues to) make children excited about books (and perhaps the play is making children excited about theatre) and I think the good that has come out of the Harry Potter stories outweighs the bigotry of one woman.

And, in terms of supporting her financially, she is at a level that she is so rich it wouldn’t matter if she didn’t make one more cent in her life. However, the entire Harry Potter brand is giving jobs to (at least) thousands of people between “Cursed Child,” the theme parks, the movies, the stores, etc. 

I also found Daniel Radcliffe’s statement about JK Rowling/Harry Potter very insightful: https://www.thetrevorproject.org/blog/daniel-radcliffe-responds-to-j-k-rowlings-tweets-on-gender-identity/

I draw my line when the art itself is promoting some form of hate/negativity, when consuming some sort of art/product has a significant impact on the person or business’ success, or when it’s something like MJ the Musical – where the show is celebrating the person-in-question.

JSquared2
#4Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?
Posted: 9/14/23 at 5:14pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: "I say wrong.

How much money does JK Rowling make from this, and what does she do with it? Who and what does she support?

Every young mind brought to this play is introduced to this woman, and she is given influence over them.

I'm sorry BroadwayWorld, I don't want to see the latest trailer for this show, and I believe you should stop supporting it. The sooner it closes the better. I believe the larger issue of trans lives is more important than giving these actors and crew work, great as that may be.

Has anyone considered becoming a Larry Kramer at the door as the crowds come out, passing out trans supportive literature?
"

OFFS How about you do you and let the rest of us worry about what we do or do not support.

YARN | Oh, dear! Oh, dear! Where are my smelling salts? | Gone with the Wind (1939) | Video clips by quotes | 5952b234 | 紗

hearthemsing22
#5Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?
Posted: 9/14/23 at 5:14pm

I believe we are at a point in society where we should enjoy whatever makes us happy and fu*k those who say no. I am not watching anything else Harry Potter related that might come out, but I love the play. I grew up with the books. I do not follow JK Rowling on any social media platform. I will not accept her personally, but I will read/watch things that bring me joy. 

Jay Lerner-Z
#6Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?
Posted: 9/14/23 at 5:32pm

JSquared, it's not nice to undermine and invalidate the concerns of others. You're helping nobody but the oppressor. Trans society deserves to be taken seriously. It's sad the upvoters of your comment can't see this.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

JasonC3
#7Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?
Posted: 9/14/23 at 5:35pm

If someone really wants to have a positive impact on the lives of those who are transgender, protesting or avoiding the Cursed Child doesn't seem like it would have much effect.  But for those who may believe any support, financial or otherwise, is problematic in an instance like this, they obviously can act consistent with that core value.

Jay Lerner-Z
#8Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?
Posted: 9/14/23 at 5:41pm

Kevin, that's a reasonable position to take and I admire your stance. It's hard to respect anyone who just doesn't care.

GilmoreGirl, you can enjoy Harry Potter of course, with books I always feel that the reader's imagination always plays a key part in enjoyment anyway. I was a fan myself and I'm not going to let JKR's dangerous ignorance take that away from me. I just won't ever ever ever give her another dime. I disagree that her closed mind is not reflected in her books, though. Hogwarts was hardly very inclusive, not one character of color or trans or gay. Making Cursed Child colorblind is one good thing that came out of it. Oh, and she also wrote a transphobic "Robert Galbraith" book.

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#9Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?
Posted: 9/14/23 at 5:43pm

JSquared2 said: "OFFS How about you do you and let the rest of us worry about what we do or do not support."

yes    yes    yes    yes    yes    yes

Non sibi sed patriae
Updated On: 9/14/23 at 05:43 PM

Jay Lerner-Z
#10Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?
Posted: 9/14/23 at 5:44pm

Jason... but can I judge BroadwayWorld for enabling it? I don't know if they get paid for putting up these trailers or what. I believe a moral stance could easily be taken here. Like when Playbill left Twitter and detailed why.

hearthemsing22
#11Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?
Posted: 9/14/23 at 5:59pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: "Jason... but can I judge BroadwayWorld for enabling it? I don't know if they get paid for putting up these trailers or what. I believe a moral stance could easily be taken here. Like when Playbill left Twitter and detailed why."

I saw the trailer but didn't watch it. Don't support JK Rowling or Harry Potter? Just keep scrolling. You worry about yourself, and others will do the same. Just because they support the show doesn't make them transphobic. 

Jay Lerner-Z
#12Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?
Posted: 9/14/23 at 6:04pm

"You just worry about yourself"

Too many people already do that. People only worrying about themselves is why the world is so fcked.

If I believe harm is being done, it's hard to just keep scrolling.

JasonC3
#13Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?
Posted: 9/14/23 at 6:24pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: ""You just worry about yourself"

Too many people already do that. People only worrying about themselves is why the world is so fcked.

If I believe harm is being done, it's hard to just keep scrolling.
"

You're clearly passionate on this topic, but I perceive your replies here as expecting others to share what seems like your absolute moral conviction about what to do. 

That's fine for yourself, but many decisions in life come to choosing between competing values, and as the comments reflect here, others do not share your absolutism and would advance decisions aligned with other values that matter to them.

No human being has unlimited compassion despite the tremendous needs the current world presents to us.  We each have to decide when, how, and where to invest our psychological energy and financial resources to bring about change that matters to us.

And in response to your question in message #10, you can certainly judge BroadwayWorld if you see them as enablers, but remember you started a thread which is generating traffic that helps BWW attract advertisers and earn revenue, so you're mildly complicit in an enterprise you're questioning.

Jay Lerner-Z
#14Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?
Posted: 9/14/23 at 6:43pm

Thank you, Jason. It's not the first time I've been accused of absolutism one these boards, but it's the first time a response has given me pause for thought. See, people, considered politeness goes further than attack and ridicule.

I suppose there are plenty of things I myself inadvertently overlook, it's impossible to have a clean conscience in 2023. Still, some things are personal so I feel more strongly on those ones. David Mamet is also a moron, but I wouldn't react in the same way to a production of one of his plays because he doesn't use his platform to actively campaign. I posed this conversation as a question for a reason, so I could hear differing opinions. I am not as immovable as I seem.

Zeppie2022
#15Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?
Posted: 9/14/23 at 7:18pm

Great show and enough said. The OP will find an issue with almost anything. So far on these boards he has denounced Beyonce for where she has concert, says conservatives are the reason producers will not have male couple on "Dancing with The Stars" and now a great show like "Curse Child" needs to close. Newsflash to OP - sometimes the people who create entertainment or perform for us are not always model citizens. They have flaws just like you and me and because they may have views you don't like does not mean their work should not be supported. Nobody is forcing anyone to go to this show so you can vote with your pocketbook regarding your feelings about JK Rowlings. Just curious, should Roman Polanski or Woody Allen films be supported? Should Michael Jackson have had a Broadway musical about him and had his records sold?

Pauly3
#16Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?
Posted: 9/14/23 at 7:23pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: "I say wrong.

How much money does JK Rowling make from this, and what does she do with it?"

Preposterous questions. It does not and should not matter.  The work was honest, legal, admirable and desired by those who purchased her work product.  She was paid what people were willing to pay.  What she does with that money she earned is no ones business but her own.

The desire to end the Cursed Child show on Broadway or anywhere because of vehement disagreement with the controversial opinions J.K. Rowling has stated, is absurd.  This type of treatment of J.K. Rowling is just another example of "fall in line with our way of thinking, else you're excommunicated".  There are no possible explanations that can exist that allow one to hold a different viewpoint.  Can't discuss it, can't acknowledge it.  Be gone, and never show your face again.  We MUST have the most progressive views and standards imaginable to support all forms of diversity in support of the few, even when a singular policy benefitting the few significantly impacts a much larger group of people.  There can be no balance nor nuance, unless the balance or nuance I say must exist exists.  Your opinions are invalid.  Again, be gone.  And so too, take all the good work you've ever done and let it be gone too.  Diversity is paramount, unless of course you think differently than I do......

Isn't this exactly what you're saying?

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#17Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?
Posted: 9/14/23 at 7:23pm

I had tickets to Cursed Child in San Francisco pre-Covid shutdown. In the intervening time, Rowling double-downed on her transphobia, and I've since decided I no longer want to see/read anything related to Harry Potter. Rowling killed the magic for me.

That being said, I don't find it personally useful to get in fights with strangers about it. If someone asks why I'm skipping it I'm happy to discuss, but I don't find it the best use of my time or mental energy to pick fights over it.

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#18Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?
Posted: 9/14/23 at 7:36pm

We all know who J.K. Rowling is, and what she stands for. Constantly harping on her/her garbage viewpoints is like posting a slam piece about James Barbour after everyone has already forgotten about him. But anyway, I digress.

To me, this J.K. Rowling obsession (in general, not just with you) is a classic example of slacktivism. Or, for those unfamiliar with the term, lazy activism. She's an easy target because she's famous, and hyper fixating and constantly posting about her is a very easy and effortless way for people to feel like a good person. Are there more meaningful things one can do to support the trans community than constantly harping on Rowling? Of course. But they aren't as easy as posting once a month about the Harry Potter writer.

Anyhoo, I agree with the person who said just let people enjoy things. Aunt Susan buying a ticket to Harry Potter and the Cursed Child will not make one iota of difference in whether or not trans people enjoy equal rights. Trust me on that. Spend your energy on more meaningful ways of helping (like calling your state and local representatives).

Updated On: 9/14/23 at 07:36 PM

Jay Lerner-Z
#19Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?
Posted: 9/14/23 at 7:38pm

I'm not picking fights, I just find it hard to sit back and shrug. How can I combat the harm this person is doing? By being active.

Pauly, not all opinions are worthy of respect. Especially not where harm is being done. Opinions like JKR's pose a serious threat, and we can't just gloss over that.

Zeppie, I did not complain about where Beyoncé does her concerts. She did not do a concert in Dubai, she was highly paid to promote a resort for elites in a place where being gay is illegal. I just challenged her utter shameless hypocrisy doing this so soon after accepting a GLAAD award and piggybacking off the LGBT community on her latest album. As I have explained numerous times to you already.

Jay Lerner-Z
#20Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?
Posted: 9/14/23 at 7:46pm

Also, very importantly...

Every time a trans person sees a trailer pop up for this show it's like a banner flashing up that says "YOU DON'T MATTER"...

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#21Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?
Posted: 9/14/23 at 8:04pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: "Also, very importantly...

Every time a trans person sees a trailer pop up for this show it's like a banner flashing up that says "YOU DON'T MATTER"...
"

Although I empathize, and can understand why a trans person might feel this way, in my opinion that is a pretty big leap that probably has more to do with that individual than with BWW or J.K. Rowling. It’s a play about wizards.

Also, Rowling is entitled to her opinion. She’s not anti-trans, she has issues with conflating people who have female bodies and people who have female identities. Granted, she really should have STFU about it rather than doubled down, but no, I don’t think it is “doing harm” to buy a ticket to the play (which technically she did not actually write - Jack Thorne wrote it).

JasonC3
#22Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?
Posted: 9/14/23 at 8:09pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: "Also, very importantly...

"

Brutal attacks on trans people tells them they don't matter.

Public policy negatively affecting their lives tells them they don't matter.

The banning of books sharing their stories tells them they don't matter.

These injustices cause direct and measurable harm. I doubt you'll win many allies to fight them by focusing on trailers for a Broadway play, but your mileage may vary.  In any event, I think I'm done engaging in this thread.

QueenTwinnied
#23Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?
Posted: 9/14/23 at 8:21pm

JK Rowling absolutely is anti-trans and to pretend she isn't is.....shameful.

I agree with OP that spending money to support this show is wrong. Deny it all you want, but you're lining her pockets and keeping her works relevant. I was a massive HP fan growing up and I didn't see the last Fantastic Beasts movie or purchase that video game earlier this year. As a NB gay person I do not feel comfortable knowing my money is going to her and I side-eye people who play it off like it's no big deal. 

All that being said keep Beyonce out of your damn mouth

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#24Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?
Posted: 9/14/23 at 8:32pm

Fine. Then instead of whining about it on a message board, go stand outside the Lyric Theatre before every performance of Cursed Child and personally shame the hundreds of children who love Harry Potter and their parents who grew up with Harry Potter who are on line to witness one of the most magical plays ever to hit Broadway.

I know that it's now wrong for people to have minds of their own, but it actually is possible to disagree with what JKR has said, and still love Harry Potter.  It's also possible to disagree with what she says and not view her as a trash human being. Think whatever you want, she's given more money to charity and done more for good causes than anyone on this board ever will in all their life.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#25Cursed Child... right or wrong to support?
Posted: 9/14/23 at 8:33pm

QueenTwinnied, I understand why you feel that way. And you are completely within your rights to not want to have anything to do with her and her work (I never got into the Harry Potter craze, personally, and have no desire to see the play myself).