pixeltracker

SUFFS is coming to Broadway - Page 7

SUFFS is coming to Broadway

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#150SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/12/24 at 5:19pm

I loved Soo in the Off-Broadway version, so I'm sad to hear she isn't coming with it. So glad James is coming back. She is definitely a scene-stealer. I'm very curious about Grace McLean as well.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#151SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/12/24 at 9:21pm

Did you see Suffs at the Public? I didn't care for the show as a whole, but Phillipa Soo was far and away one of the standouts in the cast (along with Grace McLean and Nikki M. James). I agree that it would be a loss for the production if she doesn't move forward with it. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#152SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/16/24 at 4:13pm

The cast will be announced tomorrow at 9 AM, and it is highly rumored that Adrienne Warren will replace Soo. 

Oh look, a bibu!

JSquared2
#153SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/16/24 at 4:15pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "The cast will be announced tomorrow at 9 AM, and it is highly rumored that Adrienne Warren will replace Soo."

You need to get better sources.  Not even a remote possibility of this happening.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#154SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 8:52am

EXCLUSIVE: Composer-actor Shaina Taub will lead the Broadway cast of her musical Suffs, reprising the role she played in the original, sold-out 2022 Off Broadway production.

The casting makes Taub only the second woman in Broadway history to write the book, music, lyrics and star in her own musical. (The first was the late Micki Grant, making Broadway history in 1972 with Don’t Bother Me, I Can’t Cope.)

Joining Taub in the Broadway production – which begins previews at the Music Box Theatre on March 26 ahead of an April 18 opening night – will be Nikki M. James (Tony Award winner for The Book of Mormon) as Ida B. Wells; Jenn Colella (Come From Away) as Carrie Chapman Catt; Grace McLean (Natasha, Pierre and The Great Comet of 1812) as President Woodrow Wilson; Hannah Cruz (MCC’s The Connector) as Inez Milholland; Kim Blanck (Signature Theatre’s Octet) as Ruza Wenclawska; Anastacia McCleskey (Waitress) as Mary Church Terrell; Ally Bonino (Broadway debut) as Lucy Burns; Tsilala Brock (The Book of Mormon National Tour) as Dudley Malone; Nadia Dandashi (Broadway debut) as Doris Stevens; and Emily Skinner (Side Show) as Alva Belmont/Phoebe Burn.

Most of the Broadway cast is making the move from Off Broadway, though Cruz, who played Ruza Wenclawska at the Public, takes over from Phillipa Soo as Inez Milholland, and Skinner is taking over for Aisha de Haas in the Alva Belmont/Phoebe Burn roles.

Rounding out the company are Hawley Gould (Lincoln Center Theater’s Camelot) as the alternate for Alice Paul, Jaygee Macapugay (Here Lies Love) as Mollie Hay, and Laila Drew making her Broadway debut as Phyllis Terrell/Robin. The cast and ensemble will also include Dana Costello, Jenna Bainbridge, Monica Tulia Ramirez, Ada Westfall, Christine Heesun Hwang, Kirsten Scott, Housso Semon and D’Kaylah Unique Whitley.

Updated On: 1/17/24 at 08:52 AM

inception Profile Photo
inception
#156SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 9:30am

Phillipa Soo seems to be the only person to have made a wise decision here.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#157SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 9:32am

inception said: "Phillipa Soo seems to be the only person to have made a wise decision here."

How is taking a principal role, however brief a run may end up being, ever an unwise decision? 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#158SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 9:37am

I mean is she doing something bigger? 

Bobster159
#159SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 9:59am

Having seen Hannah Cruz in Only Gold and The Connector at MCC, she's no downgrade. A star in the making. To shine in Only Gold, working with that material, was a triumphant achievement...

Also, Emily Skinner! Is that part big? I have absolutely no recollection of Alva Belmont being more than a brief bit of comedy.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#160SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 10:08am

Emily Skinner!

Glad Hannah Cruz is getting elevated, she is talented. And will jump right from The Connector to this.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#161SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 10:11am

Fantastic, now the Jenn Collela crazies will be back dominating their rush/lotto.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

hearthemsing22
#162SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 10:15am

RippedMan said: "I mean is she doing something bigger?"

Replacing McKenzie Kurtz in Wicked 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#163SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 10:26am

ACL2006 said: "Fantastic, now the Jenn Collela crazies will be back dominating their rush/lotto."

I am so grateful to not understand what this means.

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#164SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 10:27am

Soo was the standout at The Public.  She is doing something "bigger".  The rest of the cast didn't stand out for us including James, who hardly stole scenes. She just had her own song. This casting is disappointing but maybe the show has gotten stronger.

Updated On: 1/17/24 at 10:27 AM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#165SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 10:28am

No slight to the cast here, and there are some good new additions, but they’ll probably keep bleeding money through the Tonys and close early in the summer. 

Oh look, a bibu!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#166SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 10:33am

hearthemsing22 said: "RippedMan said: "I mean is she doing something bigger?"

Replacing McKenzie Kurtz in Wicked
"

Hardly bigger.   900th replacement in a 20 year old show?    I don't know that the show will succeed or bomb....but it's hardly a bad choice to participate in a new work....unless she's turning down a guaranteed bigger success elsewhere.

I wonder if part of the reason it took so long to announce is they were still trying to woo Soo.   I'm a tad disappointed, but it won't change my mind about seeing the show.  (We loved it at the Public, not that it was perfect.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#167SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 10:42am

Missed this at The Public (had a ticket and the show was cancelled due to COVID), so looking forward to seeing this on Broadway. However, I've never really been a Nikki M. James fan. I find her voice to be rather grating.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#168SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 10:54am

There was a lot to like about this at The Public. Enough that I’m confident they took the notes and they’re coming to Broadway in much stronger shape.

Mostly I’ll be curious to see how the physical production changes, given the change in design team.

hearthemsing22
#169SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 10:54am

CoffeeBreak said: "Soo was the standout at The Public. She is doing something "bigger". The rest of the cast didn't stand out for us including James, who hardly stole scenes. She just had her own song. This casting is disappointing but maybe the show has gotten stronger."

??? What is she going into??? Any rumors going around???

auroraspice62
#170SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 11:02am

Book, music, lyrics, and starring...ok. 🤷‍♂️

BorisTomashevsky
#171SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 11:12am

auroraspice62 said: "Book, music, lyrics, and starring...ok. 🤷‍♂️"

Will sting even more when it flops. 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#172SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 11:20am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Emily Skinner!

Glad Hannah Cruz is getting elevated, she is talented. And will jump right from The Connector to this.
"

I LOVED Hannah Cruz Off-Broadway and I think she's perfect for Inez! 

hearthemsing22
#173SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 11:25am

auroraspice62 said: "Book, music, lyrics, and starring...ok. 🤷‍♂️"

You do realize Lin Manuel-Miranda did the same with Hamilton right. Why does it matter for Shaina Taub? 

auroraspice62
#174SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 11:30am

I do realize that, and I said the same thing about him. My intent is not to say anything poorly about Shaina Taub, I think she's an excellent writer. But I do think that there are plenty of wonderful actors out there who could fill this role. Do any of you stop to think before you make assumptions about others?