pixeltracker

HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season- Page 2

HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#25HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 10/12/23 at 10:47pm

Voter said: "Has anyone heard any updates on this?"

Hopefully not.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Chaz Hands
#26HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 10/13/23 at 12:38am

Voter said: "Has anyone heard any updates on this?"

Not an official confirmation, but Gordon Greenberg does say he’ll be directing this show on Broadway in 2024 on his website.

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#27HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 10/13/23 at 7:08am

Call_me_jorge said: "Voter said: "Has anyone heard any updates on this?"

Hopefully not.
"

Honestly, I'd be surprised if they don't delay. The premature press release was put out in the hopes of confirming a theater. This coming season of musicals is going to be literally cannibalistic, and a show that isn't guaranteed to survive isn't worth the money risk right now... at least that's what common sense says

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#29HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 10/31/23 at 4:06pm

April opening at the Jones is confirmed, just waiting on exact dates to be announced tomorrow morning. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#30HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 10/31/23 at 4:25pm

I love Huey Lewis but I think they were waiting for the right time, and with Back to the Future doing well, I guess they thought they could capitalize on that. Let's see if it pays off. With a great cast it absolutely could work. 

Jmuep2
#31HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 10/31/23 at 5:05pm

In general, I'm not a fan of jukebox musicals, but I saw this in San Diego and loved it. 

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#32HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 10/31/23 at 6:07pm

If we have to have another jukebox musical why can’t someone write one for Blondie?

RUkiddingme
#33HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 10/31/23 at 7:36pm

we don't have to have another jukebox musical, but we're stuck with lazy producers these days

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#34HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 11/1/23 at 9:46am

Huey Lewis will be on Morning Joe in a minute “with a big announcement”.

Jordan Catalano
#35HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 11/1/23 at 9:51am

Previews start 3/29 at James Earl Jones. 

Updated On: 11/1/23 at 09:51 AM

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#36HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 11/1/23 at 9:51am

Just announced!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#37HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 11/1/23 at 11:20am

Jordan Catalano said: "Previews start 3/29 at James Earl Jones."

That puts to bed any speculation that GUTENBERG might extend past January.

Jordan Catalano
#38HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 11/1/23 at 12:12pm

Possible Andrew has to go right to working on “Tammy Faye”?

Sammy232
#39HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 11/1/23 at 12:55pm

RUkiddingme said: "we don't have to have another jukebox musical, but we're stuck with lazy producers these days"

Didn't this get terrible reviews out of town?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#40HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 11/1/23 at 12:57pm

I have to think this’ll be critic-proof - like A Beautiful Noise - and have a solid run. 

Oh look, a bibu!

BoringBoredBoard40
#41HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 11/1/23 at 1:13pm

This doesn't start til end of March, I could see Gutenberg squeezing a extra week or two if sales demand it but kind of wild to push out a show thats making about a million a week for something like this 

Sammy232
#42HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 11/1/23 at 1:14pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "I have to think this’ll be critic-proof - likeA Beautiful Noise- and have a solid run."

I don't know. Beautiful noise is solidly boomer crowd age group who are known to be a solid ticket buying crowd. While Huey Lewis was popular he only really had a couple of big hits. Yes, I'm a Gen Xer, so this was my teenage music.

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#43HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 11/1/23 at 1:56pm

For the life of me, I can't figure out why someone would want to produce another musical this season. Especially one that'll take the backseat to the ones with deeper pockets... 

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

perfectliar
#44HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 11/1/23 at 2:27pm

Sammy232 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "I have to think this’ll be critic-proof - likeA Beautiful Noise- and have a solid run."

I don't know. Beautiful noise is solidly boomer crowd age group who are known to be a solid ticket buying crowd. While Huey Lewis was popular he only really had a couple of big hits. Yes, I'm a Gen Xer, so this was my teenage music.
"

Huey Lewis and the News had twelve Top 10 hits (and another that topped out at #11), including three #1s. Even if you just use the songs that charted that high, you have enough for a full score with reprises and such.

Fosse76
#45HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 11/1/23 at 2:42pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "This doesn't start til end of March, I could see Gutenberg squeezing a extra week or two if sales demand it but kind of wild to push out a show thats making about a million a week 

It's a limited run. It's not being pushed out. 

Sammy232
#46HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 11/1/23 at 3:04pm

perfectliar said: "Sammy232 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "I have to think this’ll be critic-proof - likeA Beautiful Noise- and have a solid run."

"

Huey Lewis and the News had twelve Top 10 hits (and another that topped out at #11), including three #1s. Even if you just use the songs that charted that high, you have enough for a full score with reprises and such.
"

I'm not saying he doesn't have enough songs to fill a score (although truth be told I'm having a hard time naming that many hits, but I believe you). My point was, I don't see this age demo being a big ticket buying group - I'm definitely an outlier amongst my peer group but I was always a "theater kid." In that same time frame there were significantly bigger artists on the scene - some of which we've had broadway shows from current/recent - MJ, Springsteen, David Bryne, and some we haven't, Prince, Bon Jovi, Madonna, all artists that had decades of staying power. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#47HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 11/1/23 at 3:28pm

Can't find it anywhere, but who was in the cast of this on their pre-Broadway tryout?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#48HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 11/1/23 at 3:30pm

I feel like this will go the way of "Margaritaville".  The story is so weak and the songs are shoe-horned in so poorly. It takes place in a box factory...hence...insert "Hip to be Square". Ugh.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling