pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23
Posted: 10/24/23 at 12:17pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 10/22/2023 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: JAJA'S AFRICAN HAIR BRAIDING (4.9%), PURLIE VICTORIOUS: A NON-CONFEDERATE ROMP THROUGH THE COTTON PATCH (4.7%), KIMBERLY AKIMBO (2.8%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (2.7%), CHICAGO (2.6%), HADESTOWN (2.5%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (1.7%), MELISSA ETHERIDGE: MY WINDOW (1.7%), SHUCKED (1.7%), ALADDIN (1.6%), HERE LIES LOVE (0.4%), THE LION KING (0.4%), HAMILTON (0.1%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: SOME LIKE IT HOT (-7.1%), THE SHARK IS BROKEN (-2.2%), GUTENBERG! THE MUSICAL! (-1.9%), I NEED THAT (-1.7%), MJ THE MUSICAL (-1.6%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (-1.6%), A BEAUTIFUL NOISE, THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL (-1.4%), SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET (-1.1%), & JULIET (-0.9%), BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE MUSICAL (-0.1%), SIX (-0.1%), WICKED (-0.1%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23
Posted: 10/24/23 at 12:22pm

Holy F**K Merrily! 

Updated On: 10/24/23 at 12:22 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23
Posted: 10/24/23 at 12:25pm

We love to see another sizable Purlie leap!

Oh look, a bibu!

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23
Posted: 10/24/23 at 12:27pm

Also, Akimbo seems to be experiencing a second wind. Second best week ever during a pretty random week in October. I'd assumed they'd go out in January. But, I wonder if they might try to push through the Winter. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23
Posted: 10/24/23 at 12:28pm

Love seeing Jaja and Purlie climb!!! 

Updated On: 10/24/23 at 12:28 PM

BoringBoredBoard40
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23
Posted: 10/24/23 at 12:30pm

Looks like Gutenberg could be in the million dollar club soon.

also, WOW is "I Need That" doing business for Roundabout!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23
Posted: 10/24/23 at 12:56pm

jkcohen626 said: "Also, Akimbo seems to be experiencing a second wind. Second best week ever during a pretty random week in October. I'd assumed they'd go out in January. But, I wonder if they might try to push through the Winter."

Has Akimbo bumped up its advertising spend? I noticed a new subway ad campaign touting the Tony wins, but that alone probably isn't driving the numbers.

Nearly every show that's UP this week is new within the past 7 months. Which is pretty good for mid October.

Updated On: 10/24/23 at 12:56 PM

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23
Posted: 10/24/23 at 2:44pm

Amazing how Lion King still tops the list.

i think this coming weekend is the big Wicked anniversary performances right? If so then Wicked grosses will be higher next week.

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23
Posted: 10/24/23 at 2:48pm

Kimberly Akimbo does have a fairly new TV ad. It's set to "This Time" and I think it is much more engaging than their previous TV spot. 

No idea if this new commercial is what is driving the bump, but I'm certainly happy! It is a tremendously difficult show to market. Great to see a climb and I hope the trend continues. 

And who would have thought that Merrily We Roll Along would eventually turn into one of the most successful Sondheim shows in Broadway history. The show that the maestro tinkered with endlessly, trying to make it "just right." Those numbers are astounding. But this production deserves it.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23
Posted: 10/24/23 at 2:54pm

A BEAUTIFUL NOISE with another $1 million dollar week.

Is MERRILY an open run?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Theatrefan2
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23
Posted: 10/24/23 at 3:27pm

Dont get me wrong, it's great a Sondheim show is doing so well, but let's be realistic. It's not him or the show that's driving those numbers. The majority are seeing Daniel Radcliffe, no matter what he is in.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23
Posted: 10/24/23 at 3:38pm

Theatrefan2 said: "Dont get me wrong, it's great a Sondheim show is doing so well, but let's be realistic. It's not him or the show that's driving those numbers. The majority are seeing Daniel Radcliffe, no matter what he is in."

Yes, it's Radcliffe (and to a lesser extent Groff), plus the glowing reviews putting it over the top. Which is great that Radcliffe chose to do MERRILY of all shows and is pretty much singlehandedly making this revival happen on Broadway, after it was kicked around for a decade.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23
Posted: 10/24/23 at 5:25pm

Theatrefan2 said: "Dont get me wrong, it's great a Sondheim show is doing so well, but let's be realistic. It's not him or the show that's driving those numbers. The majority are seeing Daniel Radcliffe, no matter what he is in."

It is the coalescence of a number of factors (as is almost always the case). There is a very significant number of pure Sondheim-a-philes (many of whom can't use OMNY to get there). In this case, there are also those who might be deemed less than pure (i.e., they are making the gesture because of the relatively recent death). And there are the not insignificant number of Groff-a-philes. Finally, while DR certainly draws people, the number of no matter whats is not as large as you seem to think, judging by their willingness to stay away from at least 2 of his 5 shows and, iirc, Equus also softened before he left. And that was much closer to Potter. So I would not put all of your eggs in his basket. That said, I think the show will have a rougher time after the original cast splits, unless they find someone compelling who wants to be a replacement. (Something we are saying about a lot of shows right now.)

InTheBathroom1
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23
Posted: 10/24/23 at 6:32pm

I agree that Merrily’s success is due to all of the factors. Daniel fans, Groff fans, Lindsay fans, and the undeniable chemistry of the three of them together. The acclaim of this production of a flop musical by a recently deceased composer makes this not to be missed. It is strictly a limited engagement through March and I doubt they’ll do replacement casting for this. 

re: Kimberly: I’ve seen a lot more ads. Most noticeably, one of members of the cast taking NJ Transit to see the show and explaining how easy and safe it is. Maybe they’re getting some of that crowd in. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23
Posted: 10/24/23 at 8:15pm

I thought the Boston cast back in 2017 had great chemistry too and I personally prefer Damian Humbley’s Charlie over Daniel Radcliffe’s….. but I understand all three of those actors aren’t big names to draw Broadway price ticket sales, hence why Friedman and the other producers waited until they can get the right cast to bring this to Broadway.

B212323
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23
Posted: 10/24/23 at 8:43pm

ACL2006 said: "A BEAUTIFUL NOISE with another $1 million dollar week.

Is MERRILY an open run?
"

It's a limited run til 3/24/24

bear88
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23
Posted: 10/24/23 at 9:26pm

The marketing for Merrily is very focused. They make appearances together, give interviews together and act like they’re the best of friends - just like the characters they play, but without the bitterness and melancholy.

This feels shrewd, because it combines Daniel Radcliffe’s fan base with Jonathan Groff’s. The Sondheim effect doesn’t always work (the award-winning Company revival,  Here We Are). His shows need star power and something extra. 

It doesn’t hurt that the revival itself is terrific, but reviews certainly don’t always make a hit and ticket sales were gangbusters from the very beginning.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23
Posted: 10/24/23 at 10:03pm

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
Updated On: 10/24/23 at 10:03 PM

muscle23ftl
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23
Posted: 10/24/23 at 10:06pm

Whoever said that Lindsay's fans are buying tickets for Merrily is completely delusional. Daniel's fans and Jonathan's fans you mean. Sorry! She is a talented actress who got very lucky with the shows she booked, but she is not a draw.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

RUkiddingme
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23
Posted: 10/24/23 at 10:16pm

Usually, this topic is full of negative remarks about low grossing shows and everyone predicting their closing date.

For some reason this week there are mostly positive posts about shows doing well!

It nice!

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23
Posted: 10/24/23 at 10:29pm

RUkiddingme said: "Usually, this topic is full of negative remarks about low grossing shows and everyone predicting their closing date.
For some reason this week there are mostly positive posts about shows doing well!
It nice!
"

No scary drops this week! Most new things saw an uptick or are treading water. Let's hope it lasts or continues up.

HAMILTON DROPPED 130K LAST WEEK, DO YOU THINK IT WILL LAST UNTIL NEW YEARS?!?!?!?

Updated On: 10/24/23 at 10:29 PM

B212323
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23
Posted: 10/24/23 at 11:06pm

muscle23ftl said: "Whoever said that Lindsay's fans are buying tickets for Merrily is completely delusional. Daniel's fans and Jonathan's fans you mean. Sorry! She is a talented actress who got very lucky with the shows she booked, but she is not a draw."

I know 3 people who bought tickets expressly to see her because they loved her performance in Carousel (they're older and don't really know Groff or Radcliffe). 

muscle23ftl
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23
Posted: 10/24/23 at 11:34pm

B212323 said: "muscle23ftl said: "Whoever said that Lindsay's fans are buying tickets for Merrily is completely delusional. Daniel's fans and Jonathan's fans you mean. Sorry! She is a talented actress who got very lucky with the shows she booked, but she is not a draw."

I know 3 people who bought tickets expressly to see her because they loved her performance in Carousel (they're older and don't really know Groff or Radcliffe).
"

You know, you're right. Those 3 fans totally count. Actually, let me rephrase it, the show doesn't even need Daniel or Jonathan or Sondheim, Lindsay is selling out the show and bringing 2 million per week. Just like she did in Carousel, why it was such a huge hit.

Updated On: 10/24/23 at 11:34 PM

B212323
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23
Posted: 10/25/23 at 12:18am

muscle23ftl said: "B212323 said: "muscle23ftl said: "Whoever said that Lindsay's fans are buying tickets for Merrily is completely delusional. Daniel's fans and Jonathan's fans you mean. Sorry! She is a talented actress who got very lucky with the shows she booked, but she is not a draw."

"

You know, you're right. Those 3 fans totally count. Actually, let me rephrase it, the show doesn't even need Daniel or Jonathan or Sondheim, Lindsay is selling out the show and bringing 2 million per week. Just like she did in Carousel, why it was such a huge hit.
"

that's three that one person knows - I'm not saying she's the sole reason its selling out but to dismiss her as not having any fans is not true. But by all means belittle the female diverse lead of the show. 

DrMonicaDeMoneco Profile Photo
DrMonicaDeMoneco
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/22/23
Posted: 10/25/23 at 12:57am

B212323 said: "muscle23ftl said: "B212323 said: "muscle23ftl said: "Whoever said that Lindsay's fans are buying tickets for Merrily is completely delusional. Daniel's fans and Jonathan's fans you mean. Sorry! She is a talented actress who got very lucky with the shows she booked, but she is not a draw."

"

"

that's three that one person knows - I'm not saying she's the sole reason its selling out but to dismiss her as not having any fans is not true. But by all means belittle the female diverse lead of the show.
"

Oh please, give it a rest. Practically no one is coming to see Merrily because of Lindsay Mendez. She’s not a name, she’s not recognizable outside the theatre community and even some in the theatre community have  no idea who she is.  It’s Daniel and Jonathan. They’re bringing in the crowds. They are names. Daniel is an international super star. 
get over it. Go cry your fake Lindsay tears elsewhere. 

Videos