pixeltracker

Coming to NYC next weekend DAY 3 - HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO and WAITING FOR GODOT

Coming to NYC next weekend DAY 3 - HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO and WAITING FOR GODOT

KevinKlawitter
#1Coming to NYC next weekend DAY 3 - HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO and WAITING FOR GODOT
Posted: 11/16/23 at 11:46am

I've finally been able to arrange a Broadway weekend - I'll be flying in next Friday morning and leaving Monday morning, so best case scenario I should be able to see six different shows. I'd like to see a variety of shows/genres/venues, so any advice would be appreciated.  I also anticipate being totally zonked after my early flight, so my first show at 2pm on Friday should probably be something light and fluffy and within walking distance of my hotel in Times Square.

Broadway

The only show I know for sure I want to see (in fact it starting shows around now was the impetus for me planning this trip in the first place) is How to Dance in Ohio. Given that it's my reason for coming I'm not sure if I want to see it early or wait until the end. Otherwise I'm fine seeing most anything.  Gutenberg! is something I'm considering for 2pm on Friday as a light show.  Kimberly Akimbo is certainly one I'm excited about, as is Some Like it Hot! and Here Lies Love.  Merrily We Roll Along and Purlie Victorious are also ones I'm very interested in, but the ticket prices I'm seeing for some of those seats are absolutely insane. Hadestown and Six I've already seen on tour, so those aren't high priorities for me, and I'm not particularly enthusiastic about the possibility of seeing Spamalot, Back to the Future, or A Beautiful Noise but I definitely wouldn't say "no" to any of them.

Off-Broadway

The only other show I want to see close to as much as How to Dance in Ohio is Waiting for Godot at Theatre for a New Audience.  I know that's in Brooklyn, but I'm willing to take a half hour subway ride to see Michael Shannon live on stage - could be a good afternoon show on Saturday.  My community theatre is going to put on The Play that Goes Wrong next season, and while I probably won't personally be involved with that (I'm supposed to be directing a show at around the same time) seeing it in New York City could be a fun scouting adventure. The theatre geek in me also would really love the chance to see Here We Are. 

I'm open to any and all suggestions and recommendations. Thanks!

Updated On: 11/26/23 at 11:46 AM

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#2Coming to NYC next weekend tips/advice for shows appreciated.
Posted: 11/16/23 at 11:56am

I agree about the Merrily prices being insane. I would try the lottery as those are $39, if you happen to win. If you don't win that, then Kimberly Akimbo is my top recommendation! Incredible production! I would avoid Gutenberg. People are only going for Rannells and Gad. The show itself is not that good. Back to merrily, I would still try to see it as it's nothing short of sheer perfection! It's the hottest ticket in town, but if you can, try to see it. Cannot stress that enough. Enjoy your stay!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

OuttaTowner
#3Coming to NYC next weekend tips/advice for shows appreciated.
Posted: 11/16/23 at 12:01pm

For light and fun, I’d recommend & Juliet
Shucked is also lots of fun!

I’d also toss Sweeney Todd into the mix. 
Well worth it. 

Off Broadway?

Little Shop is always a good time. 
Here We Are is perhaps your only chance to see this, so if you can snag a seat, go. 
Same for Hell’s Kitchen at the Public. A tough ticket, but a very good show. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#4Coming to NYC next weekend tips/advice for shows appreciated.
Posted: 11/16/23 at 12:58pm

The Play That Goes Wrong os a lot of fun. And It really works well in Stage 4 at New World Stages. 

Just give the world Love.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#5Coming to NYC next weekend tips/advice for shows appreciated.
Posted: 11/16/23 at 3:17pm

I think Barry Manilow's HARMONY is a must see. Also, BACK TO THE FUTURE has amazing special effects and if you love a good production, that's your show. MERRILY I would only see if I win the lottery for $39. Not worth what they charge, even though it's a great show, but this starry production is not the best I've seen.

I loved THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA at Lincoln Center, which is Off Broadway. HELLS KITCHEN is a great show to see Off Broadway but not worth $175 in my opinion. And lastly, I CAN GET IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE, if you are intrigued to know what Barbra did in her Broadway debut and want to see Santino Fontana, Judy Kuhn and some other stars in a very intimate setting.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#6Coming to NYC next weekend tips/advice for shows appreciated.
Posted: 11/16/23 at 3:36pm

Here are my thoughts on all of the shows you mentioned...

MUST SEE

-Merrily We Roll Along

-Here We Are

-Kimberly Akimbo

-Here Lies Love

GOOD

-A Beautiful Noise

-Gutenberg!

-Back to the Future

-Some Like It Hot

SKIP

-Purlie Victorious

Have a great trip!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#7Coming to NYC next weekend tips/advice for shows appreciated.
Posted: 11/16/23 at 6:07pm

If you need a cheap Broadway ticket, A Beautiful Noise has $45 rush tickets available at the box office on the day of performances.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#8Coming to NYC next weekend tips/advice for shows appreciated.
Posted: 11/16/23 at 6:28pm

I'm assuming you mean THanksgiving weekend? (not this weekend?)  Esp since you mention seeing 6 shows.  That is a VERY busy weekend for NY and Bway....everything witll be expensive and harder to get.  

Do NOT skip Purlie Victorious, an amazing story with so much humor and relevance.  One of my favorite shows of the year.

I'd also put Kimberly Akimbo high on the list.

I know Merrily is expensive, but SO worth it as is Here We Are.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#9Coming to NYC next weekend tips/advice for shows appreciated.
Posted: 11/16/23 at 6:29pm

Merrily We Roll Along is superb.

Back to the Future is for tourists.

I Can Get it for You Wholesale puts you next to the action. Stick around after the show and watch the stage crew tackle the challah for their post show  snack.

See Harmony for Chip Zien’s performance.

I wanted to like Hell’s Kitchen. I still don’t know what was missing.

Here We Are is beautiful, and the cast is stacked.

I liked Gutenberg, but changed seats at intermission. The balcony’s front row has abysmal leg room.

PS. I teared up at 2 shows: the last scene of Merrily, and the moments after the DeLorean zips Back to the Future.

BETTY22
#10Coming to NYC next weekend tips/advice for shows appreciated.
Posted: 11/16/23 at 6:49pm

Harmony is wonderful. Bring Kleenex 

simplecactus
#11Coming to NYC next weekend tips/advice for shows appreciated.
Posted: 11/16/23 at 9:18pm

Do not do not do not skip Purlie Victorius. Leslie Odom Jr is fantastic but Kara Young is the standout here. Her physical comedy in this show is perfect. My audience Saturday afternoon was eating out of the palm of her hands. The story is important and relevant. And the monologues are beautifully written/spoken. I left the show Saturday needing to see it again so I bought return tickets for two more shows including the last matinee of its run in Feb. 

RWPrincess
#12Coming to NYC next weekend tips/advice for shows appreciated.
Posted: 11/16/23 at 10:07pm

I am not sure how often you get here but Here Lies Love is closing next weekend so if you really want to see that, I'd prioritize it. 

After that, Gutenberg, Here We Are and Purlie Victorious are the most limited offerings from your wish list as all close early next year. 

I do think Merrily is a must see but right now it's extended into early Spring. It might be cheaper to get a future ticket.

C4b2a3b
#13Coming to NYC next weekend tips/advice for shows appreciated.
Posted: 11/16/23 at 10:32pm

Just flying back from seeing 7 shows this past week. 

I would highly recommend Here Lies Love from your list. Such a memorable and unique experience, unlike anything on Broadway. It was one of my favorites from the past week. 

Kimberly akimbo is great and on TKTS. 

I tried the lottery for Merrily every chance I could, but I never won. I ended up buying a ticket outright for the very last night of my trip. Depending on your comfort with uncertainty (ie, not knowing what show you’re seeing the day of a show), I would suggest checking prices daily on Hudson’s website (or multiple times a day on your phone). It seemed like ticket prices came down the closer you get to the show, but waiting to buy your ticket until the day of the show seemed risky: some days there were tickets at a discount (but I had already bought tickets to another show) and others days no tickets at all. You can also save money buying money by buying tickets at the Hudson box office (by way of avoiding fees). It’s right next door to the Belasco, so maybe head to the theatre early when you’re seeing How to Dance and see what the box office at the Hudson has available at your price range? Who knows, maybe they’ll surprise you! 

I got a significant discount on Purlie at TKTS, excellent seats center orchestra for half off. I thought it was quite enjoyable with Adams really stealing the show. 

I enjoyed Spamalot quite a bit. Again got excellent seats center orchestra on TKTS, though I wonder if that’ll change with the good reviews tonight.

Here we are was… strange. It’s partly my fault for not knowing much prior to the show. It’s surprisingly dystopian, which is fine in retrospect. But the set, costumes, and top notch actors really make it work. TodayTix has a rush and lottery I never won. Unlike the Hudson, it seemed like prices were fixed all the way up to the show. The theatre is so small, I really don’t think you’ll miss much unless you’re at the extreme sides of the right and left sections of the stage. 

Have fun!! 

Updated On: 11/16/23 at 10:32 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#14Coming to NYC next weekend tips/advice for shows appreciated.
Posted: 11/17/23 at 12:04am

Merrily 

Here We Are

Kimberly Akimbo 

Some Like It Hot - Friday matinee

Spamalot - Friday matinee

Harmony

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 11/17/23 at 12:04 AM

C4b2a3b
#15Coming to NYC next weekend tips/advice for shows appreciated.
Posted: 11/17/23 at 12:16am

To the OP, you also mentioned twice that you want to see a show on Friday at 2pm, I assume you mean Saturday at 2pm? But just in case you don’t know, there isn’t a Friday matinee for shows on Broadway, unless there’s some odd schedule thanksgiving schedule of which I’m not aware. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#16Coming to NYC next weekend tips/advice for shows appreciated.
Posted: 11/17/23 at 12:30am

C4b2a3b said: "To the OP, you also mentioned twice that you want to see a show on Friday at 2pm, I assume you mean Saturday at 2pm? But just in case you don’t know, there isn’t a Friday matinee for shows on Broadway, unless there’s some odd schedule thanksgiving schedule of which I’m not aware."

Since shows are dark on Thanksgiving Friday is a 2 performance day w/ matinee so is Saturday that weekend.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#17Coming to NYC next weekend tips/advice for shows appreciated.
Posted: 11/17/23 at 12:38am

Yes, there are matinees on Friday due to the holiday. Here is the schedule. And I assume the OP already knew this since they said they wanted to do a Friday matinee.

https://www.broadway.org/performance-times/holiday/10

Just give the world Love.

bear88
#18Coming to NYC next weekend tips/advice for shows appreciated.
Posted: 11/17/23 at 1:05am

If you want to see Here We Are and don’t want to take a chance rush or lottery tickets, there are $87 tickets available Friday evening. It’s not for everyone but I enjoyed it.

Updated On: 11/17/23 at 01:05 AM

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#19Coming to NYC next weekend tips/advice for shows appreciated.
Posted: 11/17/23 at 1:29am

Alright, I've got a few pointers for shows I'm familiar with/seen

I'd prioritize the following:
1. Kimberly Akimbo - It's so charming and I genuinely enjoyed it. Great show overall.
1.5. Sweeney Todd - I almost forgot this one! Not sure which cast is there now, but it's a wonderfully staged production and really enjoyable 
2. Merrily - If you can get a ticket, and you enjoyed the cast recording, you'll be sure to enjoy the show. It's so hard to get a ticket for though, unfortunately.
3. Gutenburg! - It's so much fun as fan of Rannells/Gad I was giggling the entire time.
4. Hells Kitchen (Off-broadway) - Go for that in person lottery! It is only $40 and the seats are really good. The day I went, everybody who entered eventually got a ticket for that night. So worth it! Take the trip to Astor Pl and hit up the Public because it's a definite transfer and brought me to tears.
5. Here Lies Love - It's closing and a wonderful piece of immersive theater, I'm starting to debate getting a ticket myself. I wish it didn't time itself so poorly.
6. Some Like It Hot - I don't care for this show, but it's good from what I hear. Also Christian Borle cannot go wrong.
7. I can get it for you wholesale - A cheap little gem in the East Village! Classic Stage Company's version is pretty solid!
8. Hadestown - I didn't like this show, but it's another one that may have just not been my specific taste.
9. Spamalot - I don't like either of these shows, but I've heard Spamalot has been updated from the cast recording. Ethan Slater is an amazing actor so I'd say he's a good reason to go.
10. Six - I personally dislike this a lot despite the praise it gets.
11. Purlie Victorious - I strongly disliked this, even though I'm the target demographic. Disappointed.

BTTF/Beautiful Noise/Gadot I have no familiarity with. If this was my trip though, I'd go in with that order of shows and rush them in that order. Some other longer-running recs I have are Book of Mormon, Harry Potter, and & Juliet 

muscle23ftl
#20Coming to NYC next weekend tips/advice for shows appreciated.
Posted: 11/17/23 at 9:42am

"10. Six - I personally dislike this a lot despite the praise it gets"

you are recommending shows you don't even like?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

KevinKlawitter
#21Coming to NYC next weekend tips/advice for shows appreciated.
Posted: 11/17/23 at 11:42am

Little update - no theatre tickets have been purchased yet, but I've pretty much decided that I'm seeing Kimberly Akimbo on Friday evening. Friday afternoon I'm still undecided - it's a tie right now between Gutenberg and Shucked with the possibility of Purlie Victorious as well depending on prices/how tired I'm feeling.

For How to Dance in Ohio I'm trying to decide between Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon. I've cooled a bit on Waiting for Godot and am leaning more towards Here We Are for Saturday afternoon. Purlie is another possibility.

Sunday evening my options are limited, but I'm more interested in Poor Yella Rednecks than I am, say, The Book of Mormon.

bear88
#22Coming to NYC next weekend tips/advice for shows appreciated.
Posted: 11/17/23 at 4:59pm

I did see Poor Yella Rednecks with a different cast in San Francisco earlier this year. I didn’t enjoy it as much as Vietgone (Poor Yella Rednecks is a sequel, although you don’t have to see the first play to understand this one) but my expectations may have been too high because I liked Vietgone a lot. It’s flawed but worth seeing.

Updated On: 11/19/23 at 04:59 PM

inception Profile Photo
inception
#23Coming to NYC next weekend tips/advice for shows appreciated.
Posted: 11/17/23 at 5:54pm

Hell's Kitchen has a 7pm show that Sunday.  Maybe try for the lottery for that for then?

The other current show at The Public, Manhattan, has a 7:30 show.  I haven't read anything about it yet.

Joe's Pub, also at The Public, has two different cabaret shows that evening as well. YMMV

I like the food at Cozy Soup & Burger near there, even though the service is grumpy.

muscle23ftl
#24Coming to NYC next weekend tips/advice for shows appreciated.
Posted: 11/17/23 at 6:09pm

Akimbo is the worst show I have seen in a long time. Terrible decision making. I'm out!

KevinKlawitter
#25Coming to NYC next weekend tips/advice for shows appreciated.
Posted: 11/17/23 at 6:30pm

bear88 said: "I did seePoor Little Redneckswith a different cast in San Francisco earlier this year. I didn’t enjoy it as much asVietgone(Poor Little Rednecksis a sequel, although you don’t have to see the first play to understand this one) but my expectations may have been too high because I liked Vietgonea lot. It’s flawed but worth seeing."

Now that makes me wish I had seen Vietgone at the Guthrie last year. Shoot. Still interested in seeing it!  Or maybe Hell's Kitchen if I can manage to swing a ticket for it.

Videos