pixeltracker

Branden Jacobs-Jenkins (APPROPRIATE) and Lileana Blain-Cruz (THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH) to adapt Prince's PURPLE RAIN to the stage

Branden Jacobs-Jenkins (APPROPRIATE) and Lileana Blain-Cruz (THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH) to adapt Prince's PURPLE RAIN to the stage

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#2Branden Jacobs-Jenkins (APPROPRIATE) and Lileana Blain-Cruz (THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH) to adapt Prince's PURPLE RAIN to the stage
Posted: 1/8/24 at 9:16am

I'm assuming the location and dates will be announced with one of the season announcements that should be starting in the next few weeks or so. I'm thinking Minneapolis would make sense, or Chicago.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#3Branden Jacobs-Jenkins (APPROPRIATE) and Lileana Blain-Cruz (THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH) to adapt Prince's PURPLE RAIN to the stage
Posted: 1/8/24 at 9:17am

The movie itself is remarkably uneven and was held together by Prince’s very singular form of charisma. 

I’m curious and also very wary how a cult film like this would lend itself to the stage considering it’s mostly just a giant music video

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

KevinKlawitter
#4Branden Jacobs-Jenkins (APPROPRIATE) and Lileana Blain-Cruz (THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH) to adapt Prince's PURPLE RAIN to the stage
Posted: 1/8/24 at 9:32am

fashionguru_23 said: "I'm assuming the location and dates will be announced with one of the season announcements that should be starting in the next few weeks or so. I'm thinking Minneapolis would make sense, or Chicago."

I could easily see this as opening at the Hennepin Theatre Trust in Minneapolis or the Ordway Center for the Performing Arts in St. Paul. It seems a little too overtly commercial for the Guthrie, but I suppose that's a possibility as well.

verywellthensigh
#5Branden Jacobs-Jenkins (APPROPRIATE) and Lileana Blain-Cruz (THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH) to adapt Prince's PURPLE RAIN to the stage
Posted: 1/8/24 at 9:55am

This could be fun.  It would be nice to see some Prince-style horniness on Broadway. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#6Branden Jacobs-Jenkins (APPROPRIATE) and Lileana Blain-Cruz (THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH) to adapt Prince's PURPLE RAIN to the stage
Posted: 1/8/24 at 10:36am

quizking101 said: "The movie itself is remarkably uneven and was held together by Prince’s very singular form of charisma. I’m curious and also very wary how a cult film like this would lend itself to the stage considering it’s mostly just a giant music video"

This feels like an excuse to do a PRINCE catalogue show while using the framework of the film. I think it could be interesting, and I like Jacobs Jenkins and Blain Cruz. I am most intrigued about who they'd bring on as a choreographer.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#7Branden Jacobs-Jenkins (APPROPRIATE) and Lileana Blain-Cruz (THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH) to adapt Prince's PURPLE RAIN to the stage
Posted: 1/8/24 at 11:18am

Saw the headline for this without the creatives and rolled my eyes because it is a combo jukebox musical and (I assumed) film copy. But BJJ and LBC are LEGIT and I'm curious to see what they'll do with this. If anyone can really elevate and justify its existence, it would be them. 

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#8Branden Jacobs-Jenkins (APPROPRIATE) and Lileana Blain-Cruz (THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH) to adapt Prince's PURPLE RAIN to the stage
Posted: 1/8/24 at 11:32am

Excited that BJJ is writing the book.   LB-C direction is highly overinflated..  She doesn't handle musical new work well (White Girl In Danger, Dreaming Zenzile)  Hope this changes hands to a less sloppy and more specific director.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#9Branden Jacobs-Jenkins (APPROPRIATE) and Lileana Blain-Cruz (THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH) to adapt Prince's PURPLE RAIN to the stage
Posted: 1/8/24 at 1:23pm

My parents are huge Prince fans and so this movie was on a lot in our house growing up.

The movie's main draw is Prince and his music, the story and everything else isn't really that good.  The relationship with Prince and Appollonia is kinda problematic when viewed through the lens of today, so I assume that'll get updated to give her more agency. 

Like Ermengarde said, this feels like an excuse to do a Prince show on Broadway - and considering the success of MJ, I can definitely see why Purple Rain would be an attractive property for producers.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 1/8/24 at 01:23 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#10Branden Jacobs-Jenkins (APPROPRIATE) and Lileana Blain-Cruz (THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH) to adapt Prince's PURPLE RAIN to the stage
Posted: 1/8/24 at 1:55pm

I honestly forget Purple Rain is even a movie- I think of it solely as the album. BJJ and Blain-Cruz's involvement makes me optimistic about the project being more than a clunky cash grab, though.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

bear88
#11Branden Jacobs-Jenkins (APPROPRIATE) and Lileana Blain-Cruz (THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH) to adapt Prince's PURPLE RAIN to the stage
Posted: 1/8/24 at 2:53pm

The movie isn’t very good, and the male characters’ treatment of women was not great even at the time. But I have a soft spot for the film, because it has one of the greatest soundtracks of any movie musical - a product of my bias, as I was a teenager when Purple Rain was released.

This seems like a logical commercial venture given the success of MJ and the non-crazy idea of an adaptation of a successful movie musical with some very familiar songs. Will it work, either artistically or commercially? I have my doubts, but at least they start with a terrific score.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#12Branden Jacobs-Jenkins (APPROPRIATE) and Lileana Blain-Cruz (THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH) to adapt Prince's PURPLE RAIN to the stage
Posted: 1/8/24 at 3:03pm

It’s going to be complicated by the odd fiction/nonfiction, scripted/concert documentary format of the film. Everyone in the film is playing a barely fictional version of themselves, doing their concert schtick.

Unless there’s a ton of rewriting, this could be like adding narrative segments to “Stop Making Sense: The Musical.”

BETTY22
#13Branden Jacobs-Jenkins (APPROPRIATE) and Lileana Blain-Cruz (THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH) to adapt Prince's PURPLE RAIN to the stage
Posted: 1/8/24 at 3:58pm

With Alicia Keys and now Prince - I fear about the future of original scores........

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#14Branden Jacobs-Jenkins (APPROPRIATE) and Lileana Blain-Cruz (THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH) to adapt Prince's PURPLE RAIN to the stage
Posted: 1/8/24 at 4:52pm

BETTY22 said: "With Alicia Keys and now Prince - I fear about the future of original scores........"

It's Alicia Keys and Prince that made you feel this way and not every single other jukebox musical from the past 20 years?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#15Branden Jacobs-Jenkins (APPROPRIATE) and Lileana Blain-Cruz (THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH) to adapt Prince's PURPLE RAIN to the stage
Posted: 1/8/24 at 5:02pm

jkcohen626 said: "BETTY22 said: "With Alicia Keys and now Prince - I fear about the future of original scores........"

It's Alicia Keys and Prince that made you feel this way and not every single other jukebox musical from the past 20 years?
"

For real, not Margaritaville, Cher Show, and Summer in 2018?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#16Branden Jacobs-Jenkins (APPROPRIATE) and Lileana Blain-Cruz (THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH) to adapt Prince's PURPLE RAIN to the stage
Posted: 1/8/24 at 5:45pm

BETTY22 said: "With Alicia Keys and now Prince - I fear about the future of original scores........"

You say some variation of this so frequently on this board when there's so little evidence that original scores are going anywhere.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#17Branden Jacobs-Jenkins (APPROPRIATE) and Lileana Blain-Cruz (THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH) to adapt Prince's PURPLE RAIN to the stage
Posted: 1/8/24 at 6:52pm

I have been a HUGE Prince fan since his first album. Have practically all of is music and have seen him in concert 3 times. In my opinion, we really don't need this movie as a stage musical.

I saw the movie twice but I agree it was pretty much a long video. The movie was also popular with fans because the whole Prince crew, at the time, was in it. I would much rather see a musical about his life including more of his music outside of Purple Rain. That might not be as easy as he was pretty private.

I had heard somewhere a while ago a project with his music was being tossed around. I also wonder if they will include Graffiti Bridge in this. It is the sequel to Purple Rain and ties up the story.

Casting should be interesting. Outside of Prince, they would have to find an Appolonia, Morris Day, Wendy & Lisa and Jerome. All who were well known to fans back then.

I am wondering if they are going ahead with this seeing the success of "MJ". Prince was big back in the 80's but I don't think this musical will draw the cross section of people that MJ is attracting.  The script for the movie wasn't the most memorable and a re-write may bring in more focus on the storyline. I guess we will see. If it comes to fruition, I will see it if I can. It's Prince!  I flew across country to see "Hot Feet", the EWF musical, (They are my all time favorite group) knowing that is was not the best musical out there. The book was awful, but had a good time and loved the music. Just my random thoughts/opinions.

Just give the world Love.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#18Branden Jacobs-Jenkins (APPROPRIATE) and Lileana Blain-Cruz (THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH) to adapt Prince's PURPLE RAIN to the stage
Posted: 1/8/24 at 9:26pm

I'm of the belief that they'll try a catalogue musical for every major musical artist at some point, so a producer might as well attach themself to one before someone else does and see what happens. The songs also help with touring and international licensing, and in this case you have a producer who also runs a major touring operation (Networks).

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#19Branden Jacobs-Jenkins (APPROPRIATE) and Lileana Blain-Cruz (THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH) to adapt Prince's PURPLE RAIN to the stage
Posted: 1/8/24 at 9:36pm

If Prince was alive, I'm guessing this would never happen. Whoever owns his estate now seems to be milking it for all its worth.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#20Branden Jacobs-Jenkins (APPROPRIATE) and Lileana Blain-Cruz (THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH) to adapt Prince's PURPLE RAIN to the stage
Posted: 1/8/24 at 10:45pm

I believe Prince had at one point asked for a gradual sunsetting of his image and his art after his death. Like he found it morbid that his songs would outlive him. Idk if that's part of his personal branch of Jehovah's Witness meets messianic complex, or some manic-depressive streak.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#21Branden Jacobs-Jenkins (APPROPRIATE) and Lileana Blain-Cruz (THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH) to adapt Prince's PURPLE RAIN to the stage
Posted: 2/6/24 at 3:39pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/PURPLE-RAIN-Musical-Will-Premiere-in-Princes-Hometown-of-Minneapolis-20240206

Purple Rain is in the forecast! Producer Orin Wolf announced today that the pre-Broadway world premiere stage adaptation of Prince’s legendary film and album, PURPLE RAIN, will take place in Prince’s hometown, Minneapolis, MN, in Spring 2025. The musical will be staged at Hennepin Theatre Trust’s historic State Theatre in Minneapolis as part of its 2024- 2025 Bank of America Broadway on Hennepin season. Exact production dates and additional production details will be announced in the coming weeks.