pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24
Posted: 2/20/24 at 2:01pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 2/18/2024 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: SPAMALOT (23.5%), WICKED (18.1%), BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE MUSICAL (18%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (17.4%), KIMBERLY AKIMBO (15.3%), ALADDIN (12.6%), CHICAGO (10.1%), MJ THE MUSICAL (9.4%), SIX (8.9%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (8.2%), & JULIET (5.7%), HAMILTON (4.4%), A BEAUTIFUL NOISE, THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL (3.8%), THE LION KING (3.7%), HADESTOWN (3.3%), THE NOTEBOOK (3%), DOUBT: A PARABLE (2.5%), APPROPRIATE (1.9%), SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET (1.8%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (1.3%), PRAYER FOR THE FRENCH REPUBLIC (0.1%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES (-7.4%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

ElephantLoveMedley
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24
Posted: 2/20/24 at 2:03pm

Wow. Great week. School vacation was clearly school vacation-ing.

InTheBathroom1
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24
Posted: 2/20/24 at 2:11pm

Amazing start for The Notebook. Over a million for 7 performances. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24
Posted: 2/20/24 at 2:19pm

Vacation week boom!

The longer runners have gotten back to more "normal" numbers for the time being. Also, great first full weeks for Notebook and for Tveit and Foster in Sweeney.

Oh look, a bibu!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24
Posted: 2/20/24 at 2:29pm

Isn't THIS week school vacation week?  It certainly is in New England.  (Because it starts with Presidents Day.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24
Posted: 2/20/24 at 2:46pm

This past weekend was President's weekend. This current week is when NYC schools are off 

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24
Posted: 2/20/24 at 3:17pm

Crazy week for Hadestown! This is the first time they've crossed a million not during Christmas/New Year's since Andre de Shields left! 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24
Posted: 2/20/24 at 3:50pm

But according to posters on this board, Hadestown is almost about to close and has been for years!

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24
Posted: 2/20/24 at 3:56pm

The producers have been debating when to close it for a long time now.  It seems like the stunt casting has been working for them though.   That being said, I don’t see it around next year.

OhHiii
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24
Posted: 2/20/24 at 3:58pm

Kad said: "But according to posters on this board, Hadestown is almost about to close and has been for years!"

So you remind us all. Every. Week. Everyone clap for Kad. Good job, Kad.

I'm one of those that have prematurely written Hadestown's obituary and I'm pleasantly surprised that they're doing this well. Particularly with some of the weaker leads they've had in the show (in ability, not ticket selling credentials, clearly). I'm all for shows like that one having staying power. And that it's managed to do so post-shutdown is even more impressive.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24
Posted: 2/20/24 at 4:03pm

OhHiii said: "Kad said: "But according to posters on this board, Hadestown is almost about to close and has been for years!"

So you remind us all. Every. Week. Everyone clap for Kad. Good job, Kad..
"

Then stop making the prognostication.

The fact is, until it has a sustained drop below 600k that holds for an extended period, it is likely fine. It has yet to have it.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 2/20/24 at 04:03 PM

OhHiii
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24
Posted: 2/20/24 at 4:06pm

Kad said: "OhHiii said: "Kad said: "But according to posters on this board, Hadestown is almost about to close and has been for years!"

"

"

You act as though we've pondered this based on zero evidence. The show has most definitely lost money for several weeks at a time more than once over the course of its run. This is a grosses thread, where we talk about grosses and what they mean for the health of shows. Hadestown has had periods of poor health. We've said as much.

Now why do you take it so personally?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24
Posted: 2/20/24 at 4:12pm

OhHiii said: "Kad said: "OhHiii said: "Kad said: "But according to posters on this board, Hadestown is almost about to close and has been for years!"

"

"

You act as though we've pondered this based on zero evidence. The show has most definitely lost money for several weeks at a time more than once over the course of its run. This is a grosses thread, where we talk about grosses and what they mean for the health of shows. Hadestown has had periods of poor health. We've said as much.

Now why do you take it so personally?
"

Kinda seems like you're the one who took my comment personally, my dude. My comment was not aimed at you specifically because you aren't the only one.

The data is clear and I think a lot of people simply are drawing wrong conclusions from it. Hell, you can pull up a line graph of Hadestown's gross history from its first performance. You see a show that has ups and downs but consistently seems to be breaking even with a few exceptions that have yet to be sustained beyond a few weeks. Since it has already recouped, it is in position to weather those periods.

Get back to me when it's sustaining low grosses for a month or more.

People on here are quick to see a drop in grosses for a production for a week or two and immediately think the sky is falling. It's just not the case.

Jarethan
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24
Posted: 2/20/24 at 4:48pm

I am pleased at how well SF / AT are doing in Sweeney.  Not surprised at all that Roses is continuing to underwhelm.  It is just not a subject that many people want to see, and IMO the reviews painted it as 'highbrow.'  

I know it was a great week all around...wondering how much of MR's uptick can be attributed to BG?

I am amazed at Appropriate's average ticket price, which certainly bodes well for its transfer.  Only exceeded by Merrily.

Updated On: 2/20/24 at 04:48 PM

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24
Posted: 2/20/24 at 4:52pm

Hadestown will post closing for September. 

BETTY22
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24
Posted: 2/20/24 at 5:00pm

Mostly great news. Congrats to The Notebook - the power of this franchise is very strong. After a best selling book and hit movie, we shouldn't be surprised.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24
Posted: 2/20/24 at 5:01pm

Broadway Flash said: "Hadestown will post closing for September."

...did the producers' debate of when to close it get settled in the last hour?

chrishuyen
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24
Posted: 2/20/24 at 5:03pm

Kad said: "The data is clear and I think a lot of people simply are drawing wrong conclusions from it. Hell, you can pull up a line graph of Hadestown's gross history from its first performance. You see a show that has ups and downs but consistently seems to be breaking even with a few exceptions that have yet to be sustained beyond a few weeks. Since it has already recouped, it is in position to weather those periods."

Speaking only for myself, but I had thought the same thing about Phantom, Come From Away, and Dear Evan Hansen when they announced closing (which was shocking to me at the time).  It seemed like theater owners were more eager to close shows that were "just" breaking even in favor of the newer shows in the pipeline that wanted to come in, so on the heels of those closings, I don't think it was unreasonable to think that Hadestown could possibly close soon, but it does seem to be holding on fairly well.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24
Posted: 2/20/24 at 5:19pm

chrishuyen said: "Kad said: "The data is clear and I think a lot of people simply are drawing wrong conclusions from it. Hell, you can pull up a line graph of Hadestown's gross history from its first performance. You see a show that has ups and downs but consistently seems to be breaking even with a few exceptions that have yet to be sustained beyond a few weeks. Since it has already recouped, it is in position to weather those periods."

Speaking only for myself, but I had thought the same thing about Phantom, Come From Away, and Dear Evan Hansen when they announced closing (which was shocking to me at the time). It seemed like theater owners were more eager to close shows that were "just" breaking even in favor of the newer shows in the pipeline that wanted to come in, so on the heels of those closings, I don't think it was unreasonable to think that Hadestown could possibly close soon, but it does seem to be holding on fairly well.
"

I pulled up the gross histories for DEH and CFA because I don't remember their circumstances.

DEH was doing extremely well pre-pandemic, but seemed to have a hard time rebounding following reopening. The summer of 2022 was in particular quite bad for it and I think, rather than gambling on a rebound, the producers just decided to cut their losses. CFA was not dissimilar- the summer of 2022 was really hard for it, and it looks like it had a long run of loss weeks. You have to remember that the 2021-22 winter was super rough for a lot of these shows- many canceled performances and the need to hire a lot more actor coverage, along with the additional cost of Covid safety and likely removed any sort of cushion these productions could've leaned on, and there was no telling whether another Covid surge would be just as bad.

Updated On: 2/20/24 at 05:19 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24
Posted: 2/20/24 at 5:58pm

Come From Away was forced out despite still breaking even in 2022. Take Me Out wanted to return badly and the Schoenfeld was their only option as long as CFA agreed to close. Otherwise, Come From Away was looking to close in January 2023.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24
Posted: 2/20/24 at 6:53pm

ACL2006 said: "Come From Away was forced out despite still breaking even in 2022. Take Me Out wanted to return badly and the Schoenfeld was their only option as long as CFA agreed to close. Otherwise, Come From Away was looking to close in January 2023."

One of the most crushing things to me was that CFA ended up just 3 performances short of DEH. I would've KILLED for even one more week for them. 

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24
Posted: 2/20/24 at 8:40pm

People had started working out that DEH was a vile little show about a guy who lied and showed no remorse. 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

PipingHotPiccolo
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24
Posted: 2/20/24 at 8:46pm

Kad is pointing out how utterly wrong all the "Hadestown is closing!" people are. Why shouldnt he, since so many are so wrong on the subject on such a tired, regular basis? We all know what the grosses are, but some make bold proclamations about things they know nothing about, with a certainty that is just embarrassing. (BroadwayFlash, entering on cue...). Dont get snippy with Kad for pointing it out.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24
Posted: 2/20/24 at 9:29pm

rosscoe(au) said: "People had started working out that DEH was a vile little show about a guy who lied and showed no remorse."

I don't really love Dear Evan Hansen - it was my third-favorite show the year it won the Best Musical Tony - but Evan explicitly shows remorse in the show. 

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 2/18/24
Posted: 2/20/24 at 10:45pm

I fully admit to being one of those people who thought Hadestown was on death's door multiple times. But I'm super impressed how the show has become a little Chicago with its stunt-casting replacements. It's proven to be more versatile of a show than I thought. I don't think it will turn into a Chicago-type run of course but it has some smart producers who have extended the show's run with some creative choices.

Videos