pixeltracker

Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?

Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#1Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 3:49pm

I started a thread a few weeks ago because my husband and I will be in NYC Sun-Wed in early May and needed recommendations for a Monday show.  You were helpful with sites that show availability by date and that was much appreciated.

The purpose of this thread is to understand the rigid nature of the Broadway calendar.  Most, not all, of the available shows stick to the standard Tue-Sun schedule with two performances on Wednesdays and Saturdays.  Of course, this isn't an issue for the Hamiltons, Wickeds, Lion Kings etc that fill the available seats.  However, the reality is that many of us traveling from out of state don't have much flexibility on travel dates and would welcome opportunities outside the normal calendar.  Every trip my husband and I see at least one show that we wouldn't have seen otherwise because of Monday availability. 

So . . . my question is simple.  Why don't producers of riskier shows (little name recognition, niche appeal, etc) attempt to use the rigid calendar to their advantage by abandoning it altogether? For example, knowing that their product would appeal to a niche but potentially loyal and passionate audience, why wouldn't the producers of How to Dance in Ohio toss out the usual schedule in favor of Monday evenings, Thursday matinees, etc.  Similarly, for shows that are not reaching their potential in ticket sales, why wouldn't producers consider a similar performance schedule when new blocks of tickets are released?  Perhaps the best way to compete for tourist dollars is to offer options when the must-sees for tourists are dark.

A quick glance at availability in this crowded Broadway season tells me that The Great Gatsby is giving this a try.  I'm seeing Monday night performances, Thursday matinees, etc., and the mix of available days and times changes from week to week. The inconsistency from one week to the next seems strange to me, but I'm anxious to see how this approach works for them.

Is this a window into the future or the pipe dream of a passionate but unrealistic theater lover?  If the latter, what am I missing?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#2Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 4:07pm

Rule of thumb is that if a show is selling poorly on a Thursday, it's going to sell poorly on a Monday, regardless of what else is in the marketplace. Many shows have tried it and it usually doesn't make a significant difference. Choosing to do a Monday night show is just "being different for the sake of being different." By that same rule of thumb, big hits like Hamilton and Merrily could do all performances at 11am & 9pm and they'd sell the exact same number of tickets. Where you could see a noticeable difference in gross is number of matinees: occasional shows do 2 weekday mats, most do 1, some do 0 if they don't think they'll have much of a tourist or elderly audience.

There are practical and symbolic reasons, too (some are meaningless when making these decisions) -- 

– Monday off means that most actors get a full 48 hours to rest before they have to go to work: a Sunday matinee ends around 5pm, and most of the time they won't have to return to work until 6pm Tuesday. If, hypothetically, you did a Monday night show, took Tuesday off, then did a 2-show Wednesday, there would be a lottttt of cranky people. If you do two shows on Thursday, that's a lot leading into the weekend (where there are 4-5 shows) and you run the risk of fatigue. Only having a matinee on Thursday could mean leaving money on the table (Thurs night is often the best weeknight for sales).
– Payroll and gross-tracking typically happens on a Monday-to-Sunday schedule.
– Monday being a standard night off means that a lot of galas and other events happen on Mondays.
– For a show in previews, rehearsals will usually happen 3 days a week during the day on days when there are evening perfs (Tues, Thurs, Fri).
– Talent is used to having Monday off and producers are used to planning weeks like this. Some people find comfort in routine.

Updated On: 3/6/24 at 04:07 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#3Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 4:19pm

It's definitely time for a change on Broadway. Before Covid the Thursday matinee of Moulin Rouge always did well. It was sad they didn't continue with that. There is no reason why a show can't change up the schedule. The last few years several shows have really leaned into the weekends, offering Sunday evening shows so that's an improvement. The bottom line is money and I hope someday soon they will realize that when people have limited time and are trying to fill a slot, having a variety of options is very appealing. I'm so glad Gatsby is going that route, but people are sick of the same schedule for the majority of shows. 

Updated On: 3/6/24 at 04:19 PM

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#4Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 5:00pm

I know it's been tried off and on over the years but I would love to see much more flexibility as someone who comes to Broadway once or twice a year. I would pack more shows in if I could and would probably even buy tickets to something I wasn't interested in if it was playing in a slot that nothing else was.

That being said, this is one of those things where I'm sure productions have explored it and determined it wouldn't work for one reason or another. I think one of those challenges is breaking the habit of when Broadway shows happen, which is hard to do. It would take some sustained efforts from more then a few random shows here and there.

hearthemsing22
#5Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 5:05pm

You have to think of the actors and others involved in the production. They will not conform to fit what works for you. There are so many other things that factor in- rehearsals, put-ins for new cast members, meetings with production teams, meetings with the production, cast, crew, etc.-changing the schedule just for you? As people have said- if things aren't broke, why fix them? There are some shows that sometimes change their schedules around busier seasons to have some two show days during the week. But permanently? Think of the people involved in the show. They have a life outside the show and it shouldn't be changed just because of your schedule or your demand 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#6Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 5:52pm

It’s what the market can handle, or else it would have been done already. Unfortunately, the schedule isn’t built so Broadway fans can fit as many shows they can into one week. There are many factors at play and that just isn’t the priority. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#7Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 6:41pm

I'll also throw out there that it depends on the time of year: On various Mondays in April, there are six to nine Broadway shows with Mon performances, plus some Off-Bway shows. Shows like Outsiders, Tommy, Hell's Kitchen, Cabaret, Patriots, and Lempicka have Monday shows some weeks during previews, in addition to Gatsby, Chicago, and Six which regularly do Mondays.

Updated On: 3/6/24 at 06:41 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#8Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 7:28pm

You also have to remember: the number of US that will try to see as many amy shows as possible into one visit is pretty scant. A family of four, for example, isn't likely to see 5 shows in three days. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

yyys
#9Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 7:31pm

I wish there are more 5 PM Saturday shows like Oh Mary.  I was able to see 3 shows in one day!

pair-o-dice
#10Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 7:41pm

They conform to it because it works.  A lot of shows (especially long runners) will play around or have a summer schedule or try a variation for a few months here and there...but typically, they stick to the "typical" schedule cause it works.

Another big thing to remember with weekday matinees - a lot of people work and a lot of kids have school.  In terms of Monday and Sunday night shows, it depends on the time fo year, but typically there just aren't enough people (audience members) to go around.  Hotel data is actually a pretty good indicator, or even just walking through Times Sq on ANY Sun night/Monday vs a Thursday paints a pretty strong picture.

Mr. Wormwood
#11Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 7:41pm

hearthemsing22 said: "You have to think of the actors and others involved in the production. They will not conform to fit what works for you. There are so many other things that factor in- rehearsals, put-ins for new cast members, meetings with production teams, meetings with the production, cast, crew, etc.-changing the schedule just for you? As people have said- if things aren't broke, why fix them? There are some shows that sometimes change their schedules around busier seasons to have some two show days during the week. But permanently? Think of the people involved in the show. They have a life outside the show and it shouldn't be changed just because of your schedule or your demand"

Oh good God, every time this topic comes up someone says something along these lines. Some shows have a permanent Monday show. Some have a permanent Sunday night show. Some have done matinees on Thursdays on a regular schedule. So it can and has been done and the actors in those shows seem to do just fine. It's not like they spring these changes on those involved or change them week to week. It's a work schedule. Actors would adjust to being in a show with a non traditional performance schedule just fine. Whether or not it makes sense financially is a different story.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#12Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 8:16pm

There's two mainstays for Mondays: Chicago and Six.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#13Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 9:07pm

Patriots has a Monday 4/22 2pm matinee. That’s in addition to Wednesday 4/24 1pm and Sat 4/27 1pm matinees. Seems like they are trying to capitalize on Spring Break week which makes complete sense to me. I always try to go to Monday shows when possible just because it’s less congested getting in and through Times Square.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#14Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 9:25pm

I wish there were more Sunday Evening performances.  You’d think it would sell well given it’s on the weekend. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#15Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 9:26pm

I just got back from London and was able to fit 6 shows into a Wednesday - Friday schedule because they had such variety for matinees. Stranger Things had a Friday matinee, etc. I don’t see why that wouldn’t work here. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#16Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 9:35pm

Melissa25 said: "Patriots has a Monday 4/22 2pm matinee. That’s in addition to Wednesday 4/24 1pm and Sat 4/27 1pm matinees. Seems like they are trying to capitalize on Spring Break week which makes complete sense to me. I always try to go to Monday shows when possible just because it’s less congested getting in and through Times Square."

PATRIOTS opens on April 22 (same day as Heart of Rock & Roll).

So they either have their Opening performance as a matinee, or there's an unlisted evening curtain following the 2pm performance, which would make Opening Week a 9-show week (doable because the previous weeks are 7 shows). Week after opening they have 2 days off to get them on track for the Tues to Sun post-opening 8-show-week schedule.

The Monday matinee also gives press/nominators/voters another opportunity to attend in peak busy season (whether the 2pm 4/22 matinee is the official opening or the final preview before opening).

Updated On: 3/6/24 at 09:35 PM

Mr. Wormwood
#17Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 9:36pm

ACL2006 said: "There's two mainstays for Mondays: Chicago and Six.

"

Currently, yes. There's been others in the past.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#18Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 9:53pm

RippedMan said: "I just got back from London and was able to fit 6 shows into a Wednesday - Friday schedule because they had such variety for matinees. Stranger Things had a Friday matinee, etc. I don’t see why that wouldn’t work here."

Yey their Sundays are dark, which is just as troublesome.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

dramamama611
#19Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 10:29pm

Mr. Wormwood said: "hearthemsing22 said: "You have to think of the actors and others involved in the production. They will not conform to fit what works for you. There are so many other things that factor in- rehearsals, put-ins for new cast members, meetings with production teams, meetings with the production, cast, crew, etc.-changing the schedule just for you? As people have said- if things aren't broke, why fix them? There are some shows that sometimes change their schedules around busier seasons to have some two show days during the week. But permanently? Think of the people involved in the show. They have a life outside the show and it shouldn't be changed just because of your schedule or your demand"

Oh good God, every time this topic comes up someone says something along these lines. Some shows have a permanent Monday show. Some have a permanent Sunday night show. Some have done matinees on Thursdays on a regular schedule. So it can and has been done and the actors in those shows seem to do just fine. It's not like they spring these changes on those involved or change them week to week. It's a work schedule. Actors would adjust to being in a show with a non traditional performance schedule just fine. Whether or not it makes sense financially is a different story.
"

No, it's always the same person.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

broadfan327
#20Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?
Posted: 3/6/24 at 11:29pm

Last Sunday night around 7 I could barely walk through Times Square due to the amount of people.  I would agree though that Monday has to be the deadest night for going out in general. When I lived in Manhattan, I noticed the restaurants/bars emptier Monday nights.  People are just coming back to the office for the week, and are probably more busy that day than later in the week to be worried about going out.  Also, hybrid working people sometimes only come in to the city on Tues/Wed/Thurs, so having a Monday show when some workers are not as likely to be there would not be optimal.

LuckyDipster Profile Photo
LuckyDipster
#21Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?
Posted: 3/7/24 at 5:56am

Mr. Wormwood said: "Actors would adjust to being in a show with a non traditional performance schedule just fine."

I agree.  I have always worked in retail and the days/hours we're expected to work have changed dramatically over the past few decades.  I got used to it and theatre workers would too.  Variety is the spice of life and all that.

hearthemsing22
#22Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?
Posted: 3/7/24 at 8:40am

RippedMan said: "I just got back from London and was able to fit 6 shows into a Wednesday - Friday schedule because they had such variety for matinees. Stranger Things had a Friday matinee, etc. I don’t see why that wouldn’t work here."

Theater is different in the West End than it is on Broadway. Again, think of the performers, The other people involved in the productions. They already struggle with demanding schedules. Do you seriously think they'd be in favor of changing that just for you? I also think they send out surveys after shows sometimes asking about peoples show time preferences. Sometimes, a specific response from those triggers a change in schedule. So yes, it does happen, it doesn't need to be changed. Your work schedule is not the same as a theater schedule and they do not need to conform to fit what works for you. No, they do not have to get used to it just because you have. 

dramamama611
#23Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?
Posted: 3/7/24 at 9:06am

Just sttttaaaaahhhp!

If the producers thought it would make them more money they would make changes in a heartbeat. And the performers would indeed adapt.  This scheduled wasn't created to "be nice" to the cast and crew. Is it a nice perk to get an almost weekend? Yes, it is. Is that why it's done? No.

No one is asking for changes based on their own personal needs/wants. Stop acting like you're the patron saint of actors. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#24Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?
Posted: 3/7/24 at 9:10am

The summer typically sees some shows change their schedules. Additionally, once Gatsby opens, they'll have Thursday matinees.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Phantom4ever
#25Why do so many shows conform to the typical Tue-Sun performance schedule?
Posted: 3/7/24 at 9:13am

Hearthemsing, nobody is asking for Broadway shows to change their schedule to suit one person, so please let it go. 

The latest survey from the Broadway League shows that vacationers on theater binges are not so common. Yes, 95% of theater-goers were likely to see another show, but it isn't going to be the next day's matinee. After 3 months, only 42% of those people will have seen another show. And only 55% of theatergoers saw at least two shows last year. 

https://www.broadwaynews.com/the-broadway-league-releases-2022-2023-audience-demographics-report/#:~:text=In%20terms%20of%20repeat%20attenders,61.4%25%20in%202018%2D2019.&text=In%202022%2D2023%2C%20Broadway%20attracted,on%20average%2C%20a%20younger%20audience.

So we bingers are a sizable chunk of the audience, but unfortunately not large enough to start offering frequent Thursday and Friday matinees, as awesome as that would be for those of us who try to cram in as many shows as possible per trip. 

Christmas week is so great for this because every year it is possible to do a two show day every day of the week. 

Videos