LEMPICKA Previews

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#25LEMPICKA Previews
Posted: 3/19/24 at 9:36pm

hearthemsing22 said: "
Yes God forbid we go in completely blind to a show. I understand you want to know what you're getting into before spending your hard earned money on tickets, travel, dining, etc. for many, but why don't we just read a description of a show and get excited that way, or by the performers, why do we need this content before? It's sad. We're such a demanding society"

Most people do not have the money to throw at shows blind nor do they live close enough to enjoy the advantages of Rush or Lotto.

And piss of with this "why can't you be satiate by a description?" When has Broadway EVER at any point been marketed by such idiocy?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#26LEMPICKA Previews
Posted: 3/19/24 at 9:40pm

kdogg36 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "I will say that Eden had one of the more iconic opening lines of dialogue in recent memory in the La Jolla iteration, and I’m disappointed it was cut for NY."

I hope you'll let us know what that was, and what replaced it, when you get a chance after the show!
"

I’m not there tonight, but it used to be:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

“History is a b*tch… but so am I.”

From one of those press videos that was recently deleted, it’s now just Beth shrieking “TAMARA!!!”

Oh look, a bibu!

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#27LEMPICKA Previews
Posted: 3/19/24 at 10:38pm

Kad: For a show about an iconic artist with a distinctive style, you’d think they’d have more interesting merch. 

I completely agree but most merch at shows have been slim pickings.  So I just ordered 2 T shirts and the cutest Bugatti socks from RB.

https://www.redbubble.com/shop/?query=tamara%20de%20lempicka&ref=search_box

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#28LEMPICKA Previews
Posted: 3/19/24 at 10:47pm

I might have missed something –– but do we know why the videos from the press event were deleted?

Typically it would be made crystal-clear to the press how much could be posted prior to the press event.

KitKatBoy24 Profile Photo
KitKatBoy24
#29LEMPICKA Previews
Posted: 3/19/24 at 11:02pm

Anyone who attended have thoughts on tonight’s first preview?

"In here, life is beautiful"

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#30LEMPICKA Previews
Posted: 3/19/24 at 11:47pm

I have some questions for those who were there:

Were Matt and his husband there? 

Did they keep “Stillness”, “I Will Paint Her”, “Women”, and “Blasted California Sun”?

I seem to recall there was a tense moment of silence as Tamara watches Rafaela fall asleep towards the end of Act One, and Tamara quietly begins, “Woman is plane, lines, form…” It’s a striking moment of nothingness before she belts her face off, is it still there?

How does Act Two begin? Is Marinetti still surrounded by the marionettes? Felt like an easy cut at LJP.

How were Leavel and Glick, as they are new to the show?

Oh look, a bibu!

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#31LEMPICKA Previews
Posted: 3/19/24 at 11:51pm

I thought it was INCREDIBLE! I was so enraptured by the look and design of the set. I was fully into this show from the opening moments. Those voices, wow what powerhouses! Just wonderful. Easily the best new musical I’ve seen so far this season.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

ashley0139
#32LEMPICKA Previews
Posted: 3/19/24 at 11:53pm

Stillness has been cut, along with The Exchange. 

the quiet moment is there before woman is and now her husband comes in for a brief moment as well. 

thank goodness they cut the marionettes in the act 2 opener. It works much better now. 

beth leaves and Zoe glick were excellent choices. They were both incredible. 

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

MsPiety&Rectitude
#33LEMPICKA Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 1:10am

Saw the show tonight and loved it. The cast is so good… Eden’s performance is phenomenal, she’s such an exciting and compelling actor. Amber Iman is perfect. Beth Leavel nails her big scene/song. And George Abud! He could win a Tony for this.

AlmostFamous3 Profile Photo
AlmostFamous3
#34LEMPICKA Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 7:00am

A complete surprise for me as well. Everything just clicked together, and the score is something you'd want to listen to again and again. Did not expect it to be this ready at this stage, but it's in pretty great shape and I feel it's definitely a contender in the Best Musical race. Eden and Amber are terrific. Will it survive the bloodbath of new musicals this season? Hopefully... Will post a more detailed review later on.

terrilovesNY
#35LEMPICKA Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 7:42am

Could anyone in attendance comment on seat locations? Would the first few rows be too close and considered a partial view?  Thoughts on mezzanine or orchestra? Thanks! 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#36LEMPICKA Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 8:25am

I love the idea that this becomes the sleeper hit of the season. Seems like such an odd season - we have so many new musicals coming in, all with a certain amount of buzz but nothing really seems to be landing that well critically or financially. Maybe this is it? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#37LEMPICKA Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 9:04am

I’ve been betting on this show to be the standout of the season since they released the EP of “Woman Is”, “Perfection”, and “Stay”. So happy my gut instincts are still strong. I can’t wait to see this.

BETTY22
#38LEMPICKA Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 9:10am

I am loving seeing all these new names posting. Sometimes it feels like the same 30/40 people post.

WELCOME........lets keep growing 

wpetinaudjr2
#39LEMPICKA Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 9:24am

Broadway Flash said: "Yes, and since seeing those clips, I’ve actually soured even more on this show. They were probably betteroff hiding the product and focusing on better marketing."

I appreciate a good cynic, every now and then but friend your take will age like milk. It's objectively a phenomenal show and it's getting better night over night. They already made adjustments from invited dress to last nights preview.

You would have to see things in context to make sense of it. This is not a drill. Something very special is happening there. 

W

inception Profile Photo
inception
#40LEMPICKA Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 9:40am

BETTY22 said: "I am loving seeing all these new names posting. Sometimes it feels like the same 30/40 people post.

"

I'm guessing just the marketing team trying to feed something positive into Google search results. 

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#41LEMPICKA Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 9:46am

Seeing this April 21, and knew not to buy one of the $49 obstructed view seats in the balcony - though I recall at The Prom that the polls somewhat disappear once the performance starts.

One teaches their brain to not look at the polls but instead at the rest of the stage.

Splurged on an orchestra aisle seat.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#42LEMPICKA Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 10:05am

inception said: "BETTY22 said: "I am loving seeing all these new names posting. Sometimes it feels like the same 30/40 people post.

"

I'm guessing just the marketing team trying to feedsomething positive into Google search results.
"

I really think people really overestimate how many actual “shills” exist here. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

BETTY22
#43LEMPICKA Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 10:10am

Kad said: "I really think people really overestimate how many actual “shills” exist here."

Do you think so. I'm guessing the opposite. Most people I engage with on this site seem to be genuine lovers of theater. 

I'm sure the marketing people for shows have much bigger concerns than low read, insider, message boards 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#44LEMPICKA Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 10:16am

BETTY22 said: "Kad said: "I really think people really overestimate how many actual “shills” exist here."

Do you think so. I'm guessing the opposite. Most people I engage with on this site seem to be genuine lovers of theater.

I'm sure the marketing people for shows have much bigger concerns than low read, insider,message boards

"

We’re saying the exact same thing, Betty22. I was saying people think there are more shills here than there actually are. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Cape Twirl of Doom
#45LEMPICKA Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 10:17am

terrilovesNY said: "Could anyone in attendance comment on seat locations? Wouldthe first few rows be too close and considered a partial view? Thoughts on mezzanine or orchestra? Thanks!"

I was in the 3rd row balcony on the right. I did miss some of the action that happened high up on scaffolding, but most of it was in full view.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#46LEMPICKA Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 10:18am

And aside from one account, they're all accounts who have been here multiple years. Like... can we use some critical thinking skills. Nobody in the market for this show is coming to BWW forums to make their decisions. 

Cape Twirl of Doom
#47LEMPICKA Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 10:34am

I did have one small issue with the show, perhaps I missed something:

When Lempicka flees to France in 1917 she has a baby, Kizette. She is then shown painting her daughter, now played by Zoe Glick, so I assume a long span of time has passed but then the year said it was maybe 1920? So she's supposed to be a toddler? And then nearer the end in 1938 the daughter looks exactly the same? I just found that confused the time span a bit.

Ptero2
#48LEMPICKA Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 10:50am

I thought this was good, not great. Second act is much better than the first act in my opinion. Espinosa and Iman do some great work and should see Tony noms in their future - the rest of the cast is very strong as well.

The usage of the Baron and Baroness stuck out as strange to me. Both are given absolutely nothing to do until the Baroness's big song (wonderfully performed by Beth Leavel) and Tamara marries the Baron, who promptly (in terms of the show and not the actual timeline) dies. The Baroness in particular feels like she could have used at least a little development as a character before we're asked to emotionally invest in her character's impending death.

Mitch101
#49LEMPICKA Previews
Posted: 3/20/24 at 11:18am

Why did you think it would not be ready? Are you aware of how many YEARS!!! this show has been in development? It has had two major full productions, as well. The question on my mind is if they made the necessary changes to make this a compelling evening, which was not the case between Williamstown and LaJolla.

Latest Posts