THE WIZ Previews

kurtal
#50THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 3/31/24 at 5:04pm

This and The Outsiders, I think, are the two productions this season with the best potential built-in audience.  The Outsiders is a classic book read by many, and the producers should lean heavily into bringing in school groups to fill the space.  Conveniently, the show is also designed to resonate particularly well with that young audience.  

The Wiz is such a cherished piece for Black communities that I could see the producers being very successful promoting it to the Black bridge and tunnel crowd -- bring in church groups and the like.  Of course, that approach won't work by itself, and the existence of the tour could cannibalize some of the potential for out of town groups from within day-trip distance (they've already had stops in Baltimore, DC, and Pittsburgh).  But such a beloved show could be review-proof with the right marketing and outreach strategies.

Listener
#51THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 3/31/24 at 8:49pm

uncageg said: "Listener said: "I'm disappointed that this doesn't seem poised to be a success. The Live version from a few years back showed promise. Did they keep the new songs, like "You Ain't Gonna Give Up On Me Now" or Neyo's "What Would I Do If I Could Feel" from that broadcast?"

"What Would I do If I Could Feel" is not a new song to the show. It is part of the original score.

"

Really? Whoops! He sang it so well I figured it was a new number. Sounded contemporary. And I didn't remember it from the film...

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#52THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 9:16am

CurtainsUpat8 Profile Photo
CurtainsUpat8
#53THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 2:56pm

I am not posting this to be negative.. 
I saw the original Wiz.  It was the first show I saw on Broadway. i think i was 17. I lived in a small town in WNY. I came to NYC for the first time after an 8 hour ride in a VW Bug.
I had listened to the album of The Wiz over and over and over. I LOVED the music and couldn't wait to see the show.  It was a long time ago, but I remember the production being very disappointing to me.  It looked cheap to me back then. Everything did. The sets. The costumes. I saw the entire original cast. Stepanie Mills sounded fantastic, but her acting was pretty dull. The book was super clunky even back then.
I am just sharing my memories.
I saw other shows that same first visit which I was mesmerized by.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#54THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 3:03pm

It looked cheap to me back then. Everything did. The sets. The costumes. I saw the entire original cast.

You, my friend, are not kidding. Ouch.

THE WIZ Previews

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#55THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 7:02pm

$45 digital lottery and in-person rush starting tomorrow. 

Oh look, a bibu!

gordi_92
#56THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/2/24 at 2:27am

Was that an April Fools? because I cant find the Lottery online

terrilovesNY
#57THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/2/24 at 3:10am

Link to the Playbill article, but it doesn’t indicate which lottery platform. There is no performance on 4/3 so perhaps the lottery will start tomorrow for the 4/4 performance. 

https://playbill.com/article/how-to-get-45-tickets-to-the-wiz-on-broadway

Updated On: 4/2/24 at 03:10 AM

chrishuyen
#58THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/2/24 at 3:25am

It'll be on Broadway Direct 

https://lottery.broadwaydirect.com/show/the-wiz-ny/

gordi_92
#59THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/2/24 at 5:11am

terrilovesNY said: "Link to the Playbill article, but it doesn’t indicate which lottery platform. There is no performance on 4/3 so perhaps the lottery will start tomorrow for the 4/4 performance.

https://playbill.com/article/how-to-get-45-tickets-to-the-wiz-on-broadway
"

Ah that makes sense. I was looking for a Performance today. Thank you.

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#60THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/2/24 at 9:15pm

I’m here currently and it’s intermission. While the talent is grew I’m very disappointed as this **** looks super cheap.  I wish there were physical sets. 

the Tin Man is performing with a boot on. 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?
Updated On: 4/3/24 at 09:15 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#61THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/2/24 at 10:22pm

Yes, he injured himself at the invited dress.  (In case you didn't know.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

YvanEhtNioj
#62THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/2/24 at 10:38pm

Yeah I assumed so. He still did a great job keeping up with the dancing. 

the show just let out. I really wish I liked this. The cast is so so talented and everyone does really good vocally in my opinion, but the overall production value just feel super cheap and it made me dislike the show.  The lack of physical sets during the dance numbers made it feel like a college recital.

Updated On: 4/3/24 at 10:38 PM

gibsons2
#63THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/2/24 at 10:47pm

YvanEhtNioj said: "Yeah I assumed so. He still did a great job keeping up with the dancing.

the show just let out. I really wish I liked this. The cast is so so talented and everyone does really good vocally in my opinion, but the overall production value just feel super cheap and it made me just like the show. The lack of physical stats during the dance numbers made it feel like a collegerecital.
"

Dammit... this is really discouraging. I almost bought a pair of very pricey tickets for Thursday, but now I'm not sure if it's worth it or not. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#64THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/2/24 at 11:41pm

This was a very mixed bag for me. The performances, vocals, and orchestrations are all top notch - zero complaints there. However, as others have pointed out, the physical production looks dirt cheap. 

95% of the set consists of what appears to be AI projections. The few actual set pieces they do have are sparse and rickety. This is definitely the cheapest looking show I’ve seen on Broadway in a very long time.

The direction is very static and straightforward. Nothing really fun or inventive. The choreography is fine. The book is still creaky as can be even with the updates. Fortunately, the score is in greats hands with this cast and the full orchestra.

I had a nice time and I’m glad I saw this, but it’s not something I feel any need to revisit. At the end of the day, this production is VERY much just a tour stop in what looks like a third-rate bus and truck tour, but (on the bright side) at least the talent is great.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

inception Profile Photo
inception
#65THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/3/24 at 7:34am

I definitely wouldn't splurge on expensive seats for this. 

Especially if you're going to be bothered by the set the whole time instead of being able to focus on the performers it won't be worth for you at any price.

bwaydreamer
#66THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/3/24 at 11:07am

One of the worst things I've ever seen on broadway, no exaggeration.  The cast, like others have said, is incredible.  All singing 10/10 and LOVED the Tin Man.  The voices in this show are all glorious.  But that said, the direction and choreography and production all are not up to par.  I found this production to be an insulting cash grab, instead of the full and thoughtful revival this show deserves.  The sets and costumes look like a high school production.  The choreography, minus a few parts in the act two opener, is just simply not good, no other way to say it.  Music video choreography and stage choreography are VERY different things.  And the direction is just not there at all.  Stagnant and stiff, it feels again like a high school production.  Hope for all these actors they get to keep showcasing their talent, but I can't root for this production in the end because it feels thrown together simply to get money, not to respect the piece or the audience. 

YvanEhtNioj
#67THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/3/24 at 2:54pm

I do like that they made several jokes that “only” black people would understand - When the witch dies and they all get funeral airbrush shirts..or when the other witch starts melting and she says the water is ruining her silk press. I thought that was cute. Obviously not enough to save the show. I’m really mad at myself for spending over $100 on seats. This unfortunately can’t be fixed during previews no matter what they do. I wish that they would give the lion and scarecrow different personalities if that makes sense - they are both acting like queens on RuPauls Drag Race. For the Lion, it makes sense but they don’t both need to be doing that as it led to the same type of humor over.. and over.. and over. 

i think in my head I was expecting the magic of The Wiz LIVE! but ended up with a church play. 

Updated On: 4/3/24 at 02:54 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#68THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/3/24 at 2:58pm

Oh Lord, can we talk about the “melting” at the end? That was the most unimaginative, laziest thing I’ve ever seen on stage. 

Updated On: 4/3/24 at 02:58 PM

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#69THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/3/24 at 3:05pm

Do they still make Evillene appear in Act 1?

YvanEhtNioj
#70THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/3/24 at 3:06pm

WldKingdomHM said: "Do they still make Evillene appear in Act 1?"

Yeah, briefly

also Jordan after the “melting” I had an attitude for the rest of the show. 

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
#71THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/3/24 at 3:27pm

These reports make me wish we’d gotten the 2006 La Jolla production that was supposed to come to Broadway or the Encores production from 2009. From the clips I’ve seen of them, they both seemed to have possessed much more imagination and creativity, especially when it comes to the costumes. I can’t get over how cheap and just……bland these costumes look. To those harping on the original production also looking cheap, at least it had a distinct look and vision. Guess I’ll just go in with the lowest expectations and hope for the best, but damn it I’m so very disappointed that this isn’t a better production.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#72THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/3/24 at 3:35pm

WldKingdomHM said: "Do they still make Evillene appear in Act 1?"

Yes - she first appears atop this really strange looking structure of sorts that serves as what is supposed to look like her castle/den/lair, I guess...? Maybe someone else can describe it better than me, but it was a big clunky set piece... Then I think there's one more brief appearance when she's in front of the weird tiki tree panels.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#73THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/3/24 at 3:43pm

seaweedjstubbs said: "These reports make me wish we’d gotten the 2006 La Jolla production that was supposed to come to Broadway or the Encores production from 2009. From the clips I’ve seen of them, they both seemed to have possessed much more imagination and creativity, especially when it comes to the costumes. I can’t get over how cheap and just……bland these costumes look. To those harping on the original production also looking cheap, at leastit had a distinct look and vision. Guess I’ll just go in with the lowest expectations and hope for the best, but damn it I’m so very disappointed that this isn’t a better production."

The city center production was wonderful minus Ashanti. I sat front row center during the first preview and didn’t want it to end. I wish it transferred. 

QueenTwinnied
#74THE WIZ Previews
Posted: 4/3/24 at 3:44pm

The melting was so lame. After that I just wanted them to get to the last two songs so *I* could go home.