pixeltracker

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews- Page 3

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#50CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
Posted: 3/31/24 at 8:13pm

pathman2 said: "The SeatGeek code (SPRING2024) can also be used toward preordering drinks at Cabaret. Tempted."

Thank you for [re?]sharing the code. Picket up a ticket in a few weeks for a "whopping" $107.

qafgenius122
#51CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
Posted: 3/31/24 at 8:57pm

I was honestly skeptical that this show would really make me say the Tony was going to go to anyone but Merrily… but now I really don’t know! And can we talk about the set design?! That space is stunningggg. And I can fully foresee all 4 of the principals getting nominations, and at least 2 feel like the front runners. (Even having not seen a good chunk of the newer shows)

I need to go back, and plan to enter the lottery whenever I can!

Lauren2
#52CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 12:47am

This does look very similar to London but London was way more intimate. Like the front of the Mezz was way closer to the stage and I liked that. This just seems too big to me personally but I’m going tomorrow so we will see. 

MadsonMelo
#53CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 1:11am

qafgenius122 said: "I was honestly skeptical that this show would really make me say the Tony was going to go to anyone but Merrily… but now I really don’t know! And can we talk about the set design?! That space is stunningggg. And I can fully foresee all 4 of the principals getting nominations, and at least 2 feel like the front runners. (Even having not seen a good chunk of the newer shows)
I need to go back, and plan to enter the lottery whenever I can!
"

I truly believe the 4 Tony Awards this year will go to performances in revivals, aka Merrily and Cabaret.

Radcliffe is not losing.

Who is Gayle Rankin competition?

and then its Groff x Redmayne / Mendez x Neuwirth.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#54CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 1:15am

That's what they did in London too. 

Did they also give you a sticker to place on your smartphone camera lens?

Dolly80
#55CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 1:20am

Some really dumb comments on here.

As in london. The stage for this is NOT where the August Wilson stage is. It’s further forward and over the orchestra pit so they can have the lift in the centre of the stage.

Eddie Redmayne will only win the Tony if every other male performance is terrible this season. He isn’t good in this. But people will think he is because every time he comes on he is in some striking costume , that makes no sense. The whole production is style over substance. 

lopside
#56CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 1:29am

Dolly80 said: "Some really dumb comments on here.

As in london. The stage for this is NOT where the August Wilson stage is. It’s further forward and over the orchestra pit so they can have the lift in the centre of the stage.

Eddie Redmayne will only win the Tony if every other male performance is terrible this season. He isn’t good in this. But people will think he is because every time he comes on he is in some striking costume , that makes no sense. The whole production is style over substance.
"

Every time, you come out to parrot the exact same sentence.  Style is part of substance and the costumes make perfect sense. 

magicfingers
#57CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 2:29am

I hated it in London. The entire production is way too garish. It has zero flair to it. The Kit Kat girls are not sexy and not seductive. The entire premise of the first act rests on the girls and MC seducing the audience into complacency- as a metaphor for Nazi Germany. The only really seduction happening in this production is between the two octaganarians. And that’s not how cabaret was written. 

tacotheatrelover Profile Photo
tacotheatrelover
#58CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 2:39am

I honestly feel the august wilson is a little too big for this, but what do i know? having only seen bootlegs i have no room to say anything. I really hope i am able to see this in the summer, i've been dying to see this show live again.

butlervyer
#59CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 4:22am

Oh this thread is already a mess. Didn't expect it to come about so soon. The worst takes be dropping left and right.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#60CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 5:31am

As a rule, is it too much to ask that for these early previews the only people criticising are from those who have seen the show live on Broadway? Not saying the London experience doesn’t count but I think we really need to hear from those that have actually seen the show. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

hearthemsing22
#61CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 8:38am

binau said: "As a rule, is it too much to ask that for these early previews the only people criticising are from those who have seen the show live on Broadway? Not saying the London experience doesn’t count but I think we really need to hear from those that have actually seen the show."

This why I hate bootlegs- people say they hate the show, or whatever, and they're not even judging performances that they experienced live, in person. They're basing it off a crappy recording, they weren't even in the room. Why is that okay? 

qafgenius122
#62CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 8:58am

Gayle’s competition will come from Kelli O’Hara, Maleah Joi Moon and potentially Eden Espinoza, and a 5th nominee in the form of Eva Noblezada. (Mind you I’ve not seen Gatsby or Lempicka yet)

inception Profile Photo
inception
#63CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 9:26am

hearthemsing22 said: "
This why I hate bootlegs- people say they hate the show, or whatever, and they're not even judging performances that they experienced live, in person. They're basing it off a crappy recording, they weren't even in the room. Why is that okay?"

What about that awards show performance? That's all I needed to see to know that this isn't my Cabaret. 

But, I'm still genuinely interested in reading the reports from people who enjoy it.

hearthemsing22
#64CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 9:30am

inception said: "hearthemsing22 said: "
This why I hate bootlegs- people say they hate the show, or whatever, and they're not even judging performances that they experienced live, in person. They're basing it off a crappy recording, they weren't even in the room. Why is that okay?"

What about that awards show performance?That's all I needed to see to know that this isn't my Cabaret.

But, I'm still genuinely interested in reading the reports from people who enjoy it.
"

Awards show performances are a bit better. They're at least officially produced segments that have the performers at the top of their game (hopefully). With a bootleg, you never know what the performers are experiencing and you could be catching them on an off night, they could be distracted by the filming, etc. Bootlegs are stolen performances. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#65CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 11:30am

Gayle’s competition will come from Kelli O’Hara, Maleah Joi Moon and potentially Eden Espinoza, and a 5th nominee in the form of Eva Noblezada. (Mind you I’ve not seen Gatsby or Lempicka yet)

Though the Tony committee hasn't ruled on The Notebook's eligibility yet, I would suspect Maryann Plunket will be considered lead and will likely get a nomination.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#66CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 11:55am

How many folks will be going to the first preview this evening? I have to think the very high price point for this will result in fewer members here attending.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

MemorableUserName
#67CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 12:08pm

inception said: "What about that awards show performance?That's all I needed to see to know that this isn't my Cabaret."

Agreed. That was one of the most unintentionally hilarious things I've ever seen, every time I think of it I snicker like those lamentable neighbors, and if Rankin's take is anything similar, I'm afraid I would burst out laughing right there in the theater. It's such the typical try hard thing that is considered good acting these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DVxxFRxT_8

"Look at me acting, so very hard!

Give me ev-ry awarrrrrrd!

Look at me Acting very hard!

Look at me ACT real hard!

I'm acting haaaard!

I'm acting haaaard!

LOOK AT ME! I'm Acting! Acting!

LOOK AT ME! I'M ACTING!!!! ACTING!!!!"

So over-the-top. So try hard.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#68CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 12:26pm

The Kit Kat girls are not sexy and not seductive. The entire premise of the first act rests on the girls and MC seducing the audience into complacency- as a metaphor for Nazi Germany.

Its apparent stuff is lost on you. The Kit Kat Klub is a third-rate bottom of the barrel club as is the Emcee, Sally Bowles, the orchestra AND the girls. Every production of CABARET has emphasized this including Bob Fosse’s 1972 film adaptation. The cabaret girls are supposed to be out of shape, some older than needed, and talentless. The club is seedy and gritty. It’s not some upscale Berlin club. 

dan94
#69CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 1:38pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "The Kit Kat girls are not sexy and not seductive. The entire premise of the first act rests on the girls and MC seducing the audience into complacency- as a metaphor for Nazi Germany.

Its apparent stuff is lost on you. The Kit Kat Klub is a third-rate bottom of the barrel club as is the Emcee, Sally Bowles, the orchestra AND the girls. Every production of CABARET has emphasized this including Bob Fosse’s 1972 film adaptation. The cabaret girls are supposed to be out of shape, some older than needed, and talentless. The club is seedy and gritty. It’s not some upscale Berlin club.
"

That's all very well and good, now attach a $600 ticket to it. There is reality and then there's theatrical reality. And IMO various productions of Cabaret have used the "third-rate no talent" justification to hide the fact that the creative team could not present the Kit Kat limbo material earnestly and make a convincing nightclub act out of it. 

Yes, it's third rate. There is no indication the club is about to close. Someone is showing up and there is indication the club has regulars. You can't present a Kit Kat club that would immediately scare people off for good. I withhold judgment till I see the Broadway incarnation, but this was a problem I had with this production in London.

blasvader
#70CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 2:09pm

If it ''scares you off'', I'd say Cabaret wasn't the show for you in the first place. Do people even know that kind of art that was being created and performed at that time? Only to be later branded degenerate by the Nazis? And people complaining about it, for this particular version, when it has some very beautifully presented club numbers, truly bizarre. 

15. Unknown photographer 'Slide on the Razor', performance as part of the  Haller Revue 'Under and Over', Berlin, 1923 - ELEPHANT

BernadetteJD
#71CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 5:37pm

Apologies for what is probably a really silly q- but do we think blocks of seats for all performances have already been released? I feel like you sometimes see "New Blocks Released" and I am looking at June dates and don't know if I should wait or not. Thanks in advance :) Really enjoyed in LDN and hope the experience is as great here.

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#72CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 6:38pm

Kad said: "How many folks will be going to the first preview this evening? I have to think the very high price point for this will result in fewer members here attending."

How would you know anything about “fewer members here” attending? Have you added psychic abilities to your endless resume of Broadwayworld skills? 

yyys
#73CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 6:50pm

going in 2 weeks - I paid $150 for row J side mezz.  I think that's the most I paid for a show.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#74CABARET at the Kit Kat Club Previews
Posted: 4/1/24 at 6:56pm

Matt Rogers said: "Kad said: "How many folks will be going to the first preview this evening? I have to think the very high price point for this will result in fewer members here attending."

How would you know anything about “fewer members here” attending? Have you added psychic abilities to your endlessresume of Broadwayworld skills?”

I’ve got the range, unlike your one-note condescension. Tell me, are you pleased with the dollar-to-minute ratio with this production? 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."