pixeltracker

THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews- Page 3

THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews

BdwyFan
#50THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/11/24 at 11:07pm

Oy. I feel bad that none of these new musicals will do well.  Only the revivals do well!   Oh well! 

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#51THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/11/24 at 11:20pm

It feels like everyone keeps on hoping that every new show is THE show. The big undeniable great musical that can take home the Tony. But all of the spring shows so far feel like solid B's, with folks saying "it was good" instead of "I LOVED that, you must go see it!"

Are we truly headed towards a jukebox musical win for the first time since Jersey Boys? (Not counting Moulin Rouge since they were forced to vote for a jukebox that year). Would they really do that with so many original scores in the mix? I can't see it...yet I have trouble seeing most of these options winning. If Here Lies Love had opened in the spring, we might be having a different conversation. 

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#52THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/11/24 at 11:21pm

Haven't seen the show yet but from reading all the comments leading up to opening I was expecting much more positive reviews than it's receiving. The Tony race for Best Musical is a complete mystery rn...only time will tell

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#53THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/11/24 at 11:23pm

There's enough in that NYT review that will move some tickets (and plenty that they can advertise). How long that can be sustained is another matter, but if it's really resonating with young people it will be paramount to try to do what DEH did and appeal to high school and college-aged kids.

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#54THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/11/24 at 11:24pm

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "It feels like everyone keeps on hoping that every new show is THE show. The big undeniable great musical that can take home the Tony. But all of the spring shows so far feel like solid B's, with folks saying "it was good" instead of "I LOVED that, you must go see it!"

Are we truly headed towards a jukebox musical win for the first time since Jersey Boys? (Not counting Moulin Rouge since they were forced to vote for a jukebox that year). Would they really do that with so many original scores in the mix? I can't see it...yet I have trouble seeing most of these options winning. If Here Lies Love had opened in the spring, we might be having a different conversation.
"

It's truly anyone's guess what's to happen this year. Are you referencing Hell's Kitchen as the jukebox musical that could win or Illinoise (is that considered a jukebox musical.....)? I know this would never happen, but I would love if they gave it to Here Lies Love as an FU statement to every show that's opened since. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#55THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/11/24 at 11:24pm

I'm sure it won't happen but I really do hope "Here Lies Love" can sneak in there for a nomination. 

While I do wish these reviews were better tonight (as I've said on here, I think the show is fantastic), from the few times I've been and seen the crowds of young kids just enraptured by it, I have hope it can find it's audience and become successful. Many shows with far worse reviews have gone on to have long, financially successful runs. 

BdwyFan
#56THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/11/24 at 11:28pm

Unfortunately none of these new musicals will last.  Tony or no Tony. Only the musical revivals will do well this season.  It is what it is. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#57THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/11/24 at 11:28pm

Markie27 said: "ACL2006 said: "pair-o-dice said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "This is great news… forIllinoise."

I wouldn't count out Suffs. In an election year. With what's going on.
"

Suffs just isn't that good. Sorry.
"

There are still five new musicals opening this month before the Tony’s - Suffs, Lempicka, Hell’s Kitchen, The Great Gatsby and Illinoise.

If these previous off Broadway orout of town musicals get basically more or less the same reviews as before, that would makeIllinoise the only musical that has gotten rave reviews. (Not counting the dance review)

Though I’m hoping Illinoise would win the Tony for best musical I’m still not convinced it will get support from the whole voting body. I wish I am wrong.

"

You are wrong, Markie. Notwithstanding the preexisting score, Illinoise is exactly the kind of show the Tonys have championed for over a decade, and it has the best reviews of any new musical this season, far and away. 

Dance-driven shows have also played well on tour - as we’re seeing now with Riverdance (a staple for years) and Message in a BottleContact and Movin’ Out scored big at the Tonys and successfully toured too. 

And last year’s opening number at the Tonys proved that when most effective, moves speak much better than words!

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 4/12/24 at 11:28 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#58THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/11/24 at 11:34pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I'm sure it won't happen but I really do hope "Here Lies Love" can sneak in there for a nomination."

Maybe I'm just not over that show yet but considering the competition, I think it's EXTREMELY possible for HLL to get 8 to 12 nominations. There are so many nominateable elements and it's not a far walk to Best Musical if you're a nominator giving it 5 design noms, plus Score, plus Direction or Choreo, maybe two Supp Actor noms.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#59THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/11/24 at 11:35pm

I REALLY hope you’re right. 

KarenValentine'sheadband
#60THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/11/24 at 11:45pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Jordan Catalano said: "I'm sure it won't happen but I really do hope "Here Lies Love" can sneak in there for a nomination."

Maybe I'm just not over that show yet but considering the competition, I think it's EXTREMELY possible for HLL to get 8 to 12 nominations. There are so many nominateable elements and it's not a far walk to Best Musical if you're a nominator giving it 5 design noms, plus Score, plus Direction or Choreo, maybe two Supp Actor noms.
"

I totally agree. It was fab!

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#61THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/11/24 at 11:59pm

HenryTDobson said: "MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "It feels like everyone keeps on hoping that every new show is THE show. The big undeniable great musical that can take home the Tony. But all of the spring shows so far feel like solid B's, with folks saying "it was good" instead of "I LOVED that, you must go see it!"

"

It's truly anyone's guess what's to happen this year. Are you referencing Hell's Kitchen as the jukebox musical that could win or Illinoise (is that considered a jukebox musical.....)? I know this would never happen, but I would love if they gave it to Here Lies Love as an FU statement to every show that's opened since.
"

I'm referencing both Hell's Kitchen and Illinoise. Perhaps a more apt description than jukebox is "musical that uses pre-existing songs." The Tonys have just been so against giving those musicals the top category. Having an original score has been the deciding factor. It's a major reason why An American in Paris and Beautiful couldnt win. It's the reason a relatively weak show like Memphis could beat out Fela and American Idiot. Hell's Kitchen actually has the advance sales (we will see about reviews) and Illinoise looks poised to be the best reviewed of the bunch. But I just cant really bring myself to predict that Tony voters will ultimately give either show Best Musical. Even if the original works are all sitting around a "B" grade (see the Memphis example above). 

I think Here Lies Love definitely has nominations for 3/4 design categories, score, and director. Potentially Supporting Actor. If it nabs all of those, Best Musical nomination should be within reach. I'd love it if voters looked at the record breaking number of new musicals this season, and said "to hell with the spring!" and just gave it to HLL.

Relating back to the topic of the thread: I think Outsiders is in for a nomination. But can it win? Not sure. Yet, this is what I think of basically EVERY new musical debuting right now. *shrugs*

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#62THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/12/24 at 12:16am

Perhaps a more apt description than jukebox is "musical that uses pre-existing songs." The Tonys have just been so against giving those musicals the top category. Having an original score has been the deciding factor. It's a major reason why An American in Paris and Beautiful couldnt win. It's the reason a relatively weak show like Memphis could beat out Fela and American Idiot.

I still believe Girl from the North Country would have destroyed SIX for best musical in 2020. The pandemic hurt that show big-time. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 4/12/24 at 12:16 AM

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#63THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/12/24 at 12:58am

Markie27 said: "ACL2006 said: "pair-o-dice said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "This is great news… forIllinoise."

I wouldn't count out Suffs. In an election year. With what's going on.
"

Suffs just isn't that good. Sorry.
"

There are still five new musicals opening this month before the Tony’s - Suffs, Lempicka, Hell’s Kitchen, The Great Gatsby and Illinoise.

If these previous off Broadway orout of town musicals get basically more or less the same reviews as before, that would makeIllinoise the only musical that has gotten rave reviews. (Not counting the dance review)

Though I’m hoping Illinoise would win the Tony for best musical I’m still not convinced it will get support from the whole voting body. I wish I am wrong.

"

Poor Heart of Rock n Roll always gets forgotten 

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#64THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/12/24 at 1:02am

EDSOSLO858 said: "Perhaps a more apt description than jukebox is "musical that uses pre-existing songs." The Tonys have just been so against giving those musicals the top category. Having an original score has been the deciding factor. It's a major reason why An American in Paris and Beautiful couldnt win. It's the reason a relatively weak show like Memphis could beat out Fela and American Idiot.

I still believeGirl from the North Countrywould have destroyed SIXfor bestmusicalin 2020. The pandemic hurt that show big-time.

"

I strongly disagree. I think Six was cruising to a Best Musical win before the shutdown. It still had some momentum after but I think the hype had worn off a bit which allowed A Strange Loop to swoop in. I don't think Girl From the North Country would have had a chance in either scenario.

Markie27 Profile Photo
Markie27
#65THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/12/24 at 1:16am

Mr. Wormwood said: "Poor Heart of Rock n Roll always gets forgotten"

Oops!  Sorry!  Wouldn’t it be crazy if that show ended up being the best reviewed new musical of the season?

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#66THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/12/24 at 7:57am

Mr. Wormwood said: "Poor Heart of Rock n Roll always gets forgotten"

The same could be said for Days of Wine and Roses. I don’t expect a closed show to get much postseason attention, but it’s the best-reviewed new musical so far and has the prestige factor. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#67THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/12/24 at 9:10am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "There's enough in that NYT review that will movesometickets (and plenty that they can advertise). How long that can be sustained is another matter, but if it's really resonating with young people it will be paramount to try to do what DEH did and appeal to high school and college-aged kids."

When I watched The Outsiders, the show resonated with young kids but also with a good number of adults sitting around me. I was hoping for more positive reviews but I think it's up to word-of-mouth now. 

A friend saw this show Wed matinee and he told me it was full of teenagers/college kids versus the usual retired folks. I feel it tends to be the older folks who rely on NYT reviews whereas the younger ones tend to see shows recommended to them by their friends. Only time will tell if the show finds an audience and I hope it will!

inception Profile Photo
inception
#68THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/12/24 at 9:48am

Wick3 said: "
A friend saw this show Wed matinee and he told me it was full of teenagers/college kids versus the usual retired folks. I feel it tends to be the older folks who rely on NYT reviews whereas the younger ones tend to see shows recommended to them by their friends. Only time will tell if the show finds an audience andI hope it will!"

It sounds like their group sales team worked their asses off to get those matinees filled with school groups.  That may turn out to be their best move if it gains them return visits and good word of mouth.

MadsonMelo
#69THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/12/24 at 11:24am

kdogg36 said: "Mr. Wormwood said: "Poor Heart of Rock n Roll always gets forgotten"

The same could be said forDays of Wine and Roses.I don’t expect a closed show to get much postseason attention, but it’s the best-reviewed new musical so far and has the prestige factor.
"

It's unbeliavable to me that a show so ACCLAIMED like ''Roses'' is not a sure thing for a nomination. I mean, the level of those reviews was something amazing, and the nominators are supposed to see every show, right?

It's the best reviewed musical of the season, with two lead veterans, an intimate off-broadway transfer of a very important subject.

I believe both ''Days'' and ''Love'' can get in (would it be the first time since 2013) or at least one of them.

As of now I'm going with Hell's Kitchen, The Outsiders, Illinoise, Suffs and Days of Wine and Roses.

Updated On: 4/12/24 at 11:24 AM

Ensemble1698878795
#70THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/12/24 at 11:31am

I think a lot people will be shocked when Wine and Roses takes noms for Best musical, score, orchestration and both leading categories. It's a phenomenal piece of theater, even if it didn't grasp an audience. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#71THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/12/24 at 12:10pm

I wouldn't be surprised by Roses getting major nominations, particularly for score and best actor and actress. But reviews and its cult following aside, it also really didn't resonate with audiences both in and outside the industry- I heard a lot of "well, Kelli and Brian are fantastic, but..." and very little "you must go see this." It may get a best musical nod simply because everything else is falling even flatter.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Mitch101
#72THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/12/24 at 6:27pm

These reviews are much better than I predicted. I was wrong about the critics reception. Now, as for my thoughts on the show, I refer you to my prediction of the critics reviews.

PipingHotPiccolo
#73THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/12/24 at 7:16pm

I found Days of Wine/Roses dreadfully dull, despite the beautiful performances by Kelli and BDJ but I do expect it to remain in the mix given its critical reception. However I am surprised that people seem to think the reception to all these new musicals have been or will be so muted and negative. Id be shocked if Suffs and Hells Kitchen dont get nominated; W4E got very strong reviews; and even though the Outsiders was a mixed bag critically, none of the reviews panned the show in a way that makes me think Tony voters would snub it. 

again, who knows, but i just don't quite get the vibe of "everything sucks this year" that Im feeling from these boards. no runaway frontrunner doesnt mean overall disappointment...

rburton66
#74THE OUTSIDERS Opening Night Critics’ Reviews
Posted: 4/14/24 at 4:08am

I went into Saturday night’s performance a little skeptical and left a fan. “Throwin’ in the Towel” was the knockout in the score for me. The only bummer was I was excited to see Brody Grant. (Trevor Wayne went on in his place.) Hoping for Tony noms for Emma Pittman and Joshua Boone.