News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
Posted: 6/18/24 at 2:34pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 6/16/2024 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE (13%), APPROPRIATE (8.1%), SIX (6.9%), PATRIOTS (4.5%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (3.6%), THE WIZ (3.2%), MARY JANE (3%), WATER FOR ELEPHANTS (2.6%), SUFFS (2.5%), ILLINOISE (2.5%), ALADDIN (2.2%), THE LION KING (1.4%), MJ THE MUSICAL (1.3%), UNCLE VANYA (1.2%), THE WHO'S TOMMY (1.1%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (0.7%), THE OUTSIDERS (0.6%), HAMILTON (0.5%), & JULIET (0.4%), HELL'S KITCHEN (0.3%), AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE (0.2%), MOTHER PLAY (0.1%), STEREOPHONIC (0.1%), BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE MUSICAL (0.1%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: HOME (-9.4%), THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL (-4.6%), THE NOTEBOOK (-2.1%), THE GREAT GATSBY (-1.6%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-1%), WICKED (-0.4%), A BEAUTIFUL NOISE, THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL (-0.1%), CABARET AT THE KIT KAT CLUB (-0.1%), CHICAGO (-0.1%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

pablitonizer
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
Posted: 6/18/24 at 2:47pm

I see 'The Notebook' closing next

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
Posted: 6/18/24 at 2:47pm

A very telling week. A few things to gain from this week's grosses.

Outsiders played 7 performances last week and still managed to be in the million dollar club. With their Tony win, they're not going anywhere. Which makes me ecstatic.

The Notebook is running out of steam. I think a mid-late July closing is now in the cards.

I would also venture to guess that & Juliet is on its last legs. They've managed to recoup which is good, but I see it getting to the end of the year then closing shortly after the New Year. Same with Great Gatsby and Back to the Future. I think they'll make it to the end of the year before bowing out.

Updated On: 6/18/24 at 02:47 PM

hearthemsing22
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
Posted: 6/18/24 at 3:04pm

AKarp2013 said: "A very telling week. A few things to gain from this week's grosses.

Outsidersplayed 7 performances last week and still managed to be in the million dollar club. With their Tony win, they're not going anywhere. Which makes me ecstatic.

The Notebookis running out of steam. I think amid-late July closing is now in the cards.

I would also venture to guess that& Julietis on its last legs. They've managed to recoup which is good, but I see it getting to the end of the year then closing shortly after the New Year. Same withGreat Gatsbyand Back to the Future. I think they'll make it to the end of the year before bowing out.
"

Do you think &Juliet would at least try to stunt cast before closing?

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
Posted: 6/18/24 at 3:38pm

Moulin rouge and &Juliet are below a million bucks for a few weeks now. Book of Mormon too.  

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
Posted: 6/18/24 at 4:32pm

I agree that The Notebook is next to close now with Heart announcing. I think that and Tommy will be done by the end of the summer.

This is probably the lowest we'll see The Outsiders for quite awhile and it's not that low. But I think it's grosses will skyrocket for awhile 

BTTF has recovered a bit these past couple weeks.

I continue to be surprised by how well W4E is doing.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
Posted: 6/18/24 at 5:14pm

I’ve said before that & JULIET likely has some stunt casting tricks up its sleeve before it considers pulling the plug. It’s also one of the few family shows out there that isn’t Disney or Wicked.

Moulin Rouge, on the other hand, cannot sustain below a million per week and needs to either start stunt casting again (preferably a good Christian) or pack it up.

I think the trend over the next few weeks will tell who will sink or swim. I don’t think anyone will pack up before the dog days of summer though (primarily Notebook and Tommy, and The Wiz ends its run at the same time)

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
Posted: 6/18/24 at 5:42pm

The problem with Tommy is the audience house left and right can’t see half of the stage. 

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
Posted: 6/18/24 at 5:57pm

WldKingdomHM said: "The problem with Tommy is the audience house left and rightcan’t see half of the stage."

That was my experience during previews. Buying a full price seat not marked “partial view” and finding out it was totally partial view was all sorts of fun. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
Posted: 6/18/24 at 6:28pm

Clearly that's terrible direction. 

Surprised they wouldn't just extend The Wiz through the holidays. 

Updated On: 6/18/24 at 06:28 PM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
Posted: 6/18/24 at 9:19pm

RippedMan said: "Surprised they wouldn't just extend The Wiz through the holidays."

Even looking as soon as next week, the theatre is looking half-full for many shows. To that end, it’s likely they would have to rehearse and replace the entire cast since nearly all of them have been with the show for a year now (including rehearsals).

Especially as we are now starting to see the dominoes fall from this season, coupled with an even bigger season coming up, I think it’s smarter to just capitalize on the scarcity of performances through the summer and close on a high before taking it back on the road.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
Posted: 6/19/24 at 6:02pm

Still hoping that Tommy will release a cast recording before they close, but it’s not looking good with no announcement during Tonys season…

mridley2
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
Posted: 6/19/24 at 6:53pm

Tommy - I have it on good authority they are looking to close Labor Day weekend.

BTTF - just started a hefty media campaign in the tri-state area capitalizing on the Tony Buzz. they are advertising the show as "award winning show" We'll see how much that helps. Still don't think it lasts beyond 2025.

Notebook. See ya. Sad all those folks will be out of work, but what very disappointed in that show.

SIX has already tried quite a bit of stunt casting. Not BIG names but names known to their target audience. Not sure how much bigger a name they can get.

PipingHotPiccolo
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
Posted: 6/19/24 at 6:59pm

mridley2 said: "

SIX has already tried quite a bit of stunt casting. Not BIG names but names known to their target audience. Not sure how much bigger a name they can get.
"

Name a single "stunt" cast member of SIX, which to my knowledge has (blissfully!) only featured total unknowns?

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
Posted: 6/19/24 at 6:59pm

mridley2 said: "Tommy - I have it on good authority they are looking to close Labor Day weekend."

Do you have anything on authority regarding a cast album? I finally saw this last night and would love to have Ali's vocals preserved. Looking at the grosses I assumed a Labor Day closing was in the cards so at least I can fit this in a few more times ...

singer234
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
Posted: 6/19/24 at 9:01pm

mridley2 said: "Tommy - I have it on good authority they are looking to close Labor Day weekend.

BTTF - just started a hefty media campaign in the tri-state area capitalizing on the Tony Buzz. they are advertising the show as "award winning show" We'll see how much that helps. Still don't think it lasts beyond 2025.

Notebook. See ya. Sad all those folks will be out of work, but what very disappointed in that show.

Just had a thought that if The Notebook closes in time, both Joy Woods and Jordan Tyson could go right into Gypsy as Louise and June. Tyson in particular is right for this very specific take on the show and would be a great June...and we all know Joy would devour Louise. 

MadsonMelo
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
Posted: 6/19/24 at 9:15pm

Tommy has so go up a few bucks if wants to stick through labor day.

Those a really worisome numbers for The Notebook too, and I thought they could be the hit of the season back in january LOL

I have a feeling that we will have our first Best Musical winner to recoup on Broadway with ''The Outsiders''.

As I assume, ''Kimberly'' didn't, right?

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
Posted: 6/19/24 at 10:10pm

The Notebook is a great example of why the Tonys matter. If it had gotten a nomination for Best Musical and Water For Elephants hadn't, I'm guessing the situations would have been reversed. Of course there will always be shows that don't need the Tony recognition (BTTF, Gatsby) to have decent to good numbers, but for those "on the fence" shows, it can make a very big difference.

Alexander Lamar
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
Posted: 6/19/24 at 10:22pm

I don’t understand why stunt casting was brought up re: SIX; they’re doing fine. Anyone know their running costs?

MadsonMelo
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
Posted: 6/19/24 at 10:30pm

If ''Back to the Future'' really cost around 1.1m a week. How much money have they returned in almost a year?

They have really good grossed, but also a gigant weekly nut.

hearthemsing22
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
Posted: 6/20/24 at 9:34am

mridley2 said: "Tommy - I have it on good authority they are looking to close Labor Day weekend.

"

I have seen all of the replacement Queens in Six. I can not think of a single stunt cast. Maybe Natalie on tour, given she was the OG Jane Seymour, but otherwise...she's not even a stunt cast really. So who are you referring to?

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
Posted: 6/20/24 at 10:53am

MadsonMelo said: "

I have a feeling that we will have our first Best Musical winner to recoup on Broadway with ''The Outsiders''.

"

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here as most Best Musical winners recoup.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

gibsons2
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
Posted: 6/20/24 at 11:01am

Huss417 said: "MadsonMelo said: "

"

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here as most Best Musical winners recoup.

"

Kimberly Akimbo didn't recoup, neither did A Strange Loop. Hadestown was the last best musical to recoup. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
Posted: 6/20/24 at 11:11am

gibsons2 said: "Huss417 said: "MadsonMelo said: "

"

"

Kimberly Akimbo didn't recoup, neither did A Strange Loop. Hadestown was the last best musical to recoup.
"

Moulin Rouge recouped. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/16/24
Posted: 6/20/24 at 11:26am

gibsons2 said: "Huss417 said: "MadsonMelo said: "

"

"

"

If they said it the way you just did maybe I would have understood the post.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Videos