pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24
Posted: 7/2/24 at 1:33pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 6/30/2024 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: CHICAGO (20.4%), APPROPRIATE (17.4%), HOME (4.4%), A BEAUTIFUL NOISE, THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL (2.6%), & JULIET (1.5%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (0.7%), HAMILTON (0.5%), THE OUTSIDERS (0.2%), THE LION KING (0.1%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: MARY JANE (-14.4%), WATER FOR ELEPHANTS (-10.1%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (-7.6%), THE WHO'S TOMMY (-7.4%), THE WIZ (-5.6%), ILLINOISE (-5%), BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE MUSICAL (-4.5%), SUFFS (-2.8%), WICKED (-2.4%), MJ THE MUSICAL (-1.5%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-1.1%), CABARET AT THE KIT KAT CLUB (-1.1%), HELL'S KITCHEN (-0.8%), SIX (-0.5%), HADESTOWN (-0.5%), STEREOPHONIC (-0.3%), THE NOTEBOOK (-0.3%), THE GREAT GATSBY (-0.2%), ALADDIN (-0.1%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24
Posted: 7/2/24 at 1:43pm

Pretty bad week for most everyone due to the holiday, should be the same this week.

Remember that a good portion of the tix sold for the first five previews of Oh, Mary! were between $50 and $100.

Jinkx Monsoon is back in town.

Nice end for Appropriate and Beautiful Noise.

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 7/2/24 at 01:43 PM

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24
Posted: 7/2/24 at 1:46pm

You need to rethink your idea of a "bad week"

Updated On: 7/2/24 at 01:46 PM

chrishuyen
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24
Posted: 7/2/24 at 1:51pm

That's a pretty great start for Oh Mary considering the discount, we'll have to see if they can hang on to the buzz and everything.  Over half the shows in the million dollar club this week, with a few others making it very close.  

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24
Posted: 7/2/24 at 1:58pm

Congrats to A Beautiful Noise on a good run and a strong finish!!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24
Posted: 7/2/24 at 2:05pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Pretty bad week for most everyone due to the holiday, should be the same this week.
"

Isn't this coming weekend considered the holiday weekend or are you taking Gay Pride in as the holiday this past weekend?

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
Updated On: 7/2/24 at 02:05 PM

bigbelterbaby
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24
Posted: 7/2/24 at 2:07pm

Suffs and Notebook stay consistently at 700-800. Have never made it til 1 mill. 

Stereophonic made 1 mill for the first time last week but dropped this week. Water for Elephants also down, hopefully back up to 1 mill next week! 

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24
Posted: 7/2/24 at 2:16pm

Huss417 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Pretty bad week for most everyone due to the holiday, should be the same this week.
"

Isn't this coming weekend considered the holiday weekend or are you taking Gay Pride in as the holiday this past weekend?
"

A bit of both. I know a lot of people left NYC early last week for vacations and won’t be back until after the Fourth.

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 7/2/24 at 02:16 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24
Posted: 7/2/24 at 2:39pm

Feels like NOTEBOOK and SUFFS are losing steam quickly, though SUFFS has a better average price ($113 vs $97).

I'm surprised ILLINOISE has such a low average, at $89.

20 shows did more sales per-performance than HOME earned across a 7-show week.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24
Posted: 7/2/24 at 2:51pm

HOME also has that standing $5 ticket deal with a code for all performances. It’s basically pay what you want for Hiptix seats.

Also, I do see now why Tommy is packing it in. It’s certainly not at the level it needs to be and the more I think about it, the more I realize that the design is terrible in terms of limited sight lines

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24
Posted: 7/2/24 at 3:06pm

I get that we want to be happy for shows doing well, but an average ticket price over $300 for Merrily just isn’t something I can celebrate. Broadway’s been for the rich for a long time, but it’s really getting awful out there. 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24
Posted: 7/2/24 at 3:12pm

Sauja said: "I get that we want to be happy for shows doing well, but an average ticket price over $300 for Merrily just isn’t something I can celebrate. Broadway’s been for the rich for a long time, but it’s really getting awful out there."

I agree entirely while also acknowledging that there was probably no way they were going to get a nearly six-month extension from in demand performers without a hefty raise (and probably a bonus if they picked up a Tony).

But they charged it and people came. And so it goes.

It does make me wonder if the bottom will drop out on OH, MARY at some point because I don’t see a lot of sold seats for future performances and those prices are ridiculous

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

CJRochester
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24
Posted: 7/2/24 at 3:27pm

A Beautiful Noise and Appropriate each had a nice finish. Merrily is going out on a strong note. Outsiders is basking in their Tony glory. Tommy made the right call in setting a closing date.

Updated On: 7/2/24 at 03:27 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24
Posted: 7/2/24 at 3:47pm

Sauja said: "I get that we want to be happy for shows doing well, but an average ticket price over $300 for Merrily just isn’t something I can celebrate. Broadway’s been for the rich for a long time, but it’s really getting awful out there."

Supply & demand.

$300 is more than I'd ever pay for a musical, but if the production itself was not charging that for tix, then the secondary market would be selling them for that price or higher. Merrily's prices were not always this high. These are "now or never" prices. MERRILY, like HAMILTON in its heyday, is an anomaly.

Broadway is not "for the rich" exclusively and peddling that narrowminded view hurts the industry and makes you look ignorant. Plenty of people here aren't rich and we see multiple shows a month. HOME has a code for $5 tickets. Eight shows have average prices of $100 or less. Most shows have rushes or lotteries, plus there are discount codes and TDF and TKTS and other ways of accessing less-expensive tickets for certain shows.

(And don't begin with the "I remember when tickets used to cost $X." Inflation exists, as do increases in union wages and rising costs of goods & services.)

Updated On: 7/2/24 at 03:47 PM

Jarethan
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24
Posted: 7/2/24 at 4:24pm

100% agree.  I also wonder whether some more casual theatregoers are thinking that that is what you need to pay, but that is probably not true

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24
Posted: 7/2/24 at 4:52pm

Would love to see a median ticket price start being reported. The average is skewed by wild top ticket prices for shows like Merrily and Cabaret. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24
Posted: 7/2/24 at 5:44pm

I say this as a huge Jinx Monsoon and Drag Race fan but I'm still shocked by their impact on ticket sales for Chicago. Crazy impressive! What's more shocking to me is that we haven't seen more Ru Girls on Broadway yet, especially with these type of numbers. I know it's obvious but give us a La Cage revival starring Jinx and throw in some of the other famous queens and it seems like you would have a hit.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24
Posted: 7/2/24 at 6:42pm

Yes the average ticket price this past week for Merrily is $300 but if you look at the grosses week of 5/27-6/2, the average ticket price for Merrily was $149. I believe the lower average ticket price was due to Daniel Radcliffe being out for 4 performances that week.

If you planned it out in advance, you could have watched Merrily at an affordable price like $72 in balcony or at a price you can save up for. I have friends who paid $249 for a cancellation ticket at Merrily. Yes that was not cheap for them but they thought it was money well spent. 

Imagine if stubhub released its grosses on Broadway shows and you’ll see the average ticket price sold for Merrily will most likely be over $500.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24
Posted: 7/2/24 at 6:43pm

HenryTDobson said: "I know it's obvious but give us a La Cage revival starring Jinx and throw in some of the other famous queens and it seems like you would have a hit."

I'm not an authority on who is "allowed" to play what, but just pointing out that Jinkx is a woman and uses she/her pronouns, as opposed to Albin who is a male character whose profession is drag.

Peppa222
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24
Posted: 7/2/24 at 7:00pm

"I say this as a huge Jinx Monsoon and Drag Race fan but I'm still shocked by their impact on ticket sales for Chicago. Crazy impressive! What's more shocking to me is that we haven't seen more Ru Girls on Broadway yet, especially with these type of numbers."

As much as I'd love more queens on Broadway, Jinkx feels like the exception, not the rule. She's one of the most beloved queens from the franchise. I'm having a hard time thinking of a "theatre queen" who has the chops + fan pull that would influence ticket sales so dramatically. Peppermint (who is also very adored) didn't do much for ticket sales in Head Over Heels. I'll be interested to see how Drag: The Musical fares with a handful of popular Drag Race girls.

yyys
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24
Posted: 7/2/24 at 7:13pm

I've read people getting scammed on stubhub w/ Merrily.  I believe it since it's just a barcode and not a Ticketmaster transfer.

Wick3 said: "Imagine if stubhub released its grosses on Broadway shows and you’ll see the average ticket price sold for Merrily will most likely be over $500.
"

MezzA101
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24
Posted: 7/2/24 at 7:17pm

Broadway Grosses Analysis: Jinkx Monsoon Sends Pride Week Chicago Grosses Skyrocketing | Playbill

https://playbill.com/article/broadway-grosses-analysis-jinkx-monsoon-sends-pride-week-chicago-grosses-skyrocketing

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24
Posted: 7/2/24 at 9:05pm

Broadway Flash said: "I hear &Juliet is closing !!! Yess! That dreadful show needs to go! Worst show on Broadway ! Most likely January"

They wouldn’t post closing at this point without attempting to stunt cast, you would think. But they are on the decline. 

Oh look, a bibu!

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24
Posted: 7/2/24 at 10:48pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "HenryTDobson said: "I know it's obvious but give us a La Cage revival starring Jinx and throw in some of the other famous queens and it seems like you would have a hit."

I'm not an authority on who is "allowed" to play what, but just pointing out that Jinkx is a woman and uses she/her pronouns, as opposed to Albin whois a male character whose profession is drag.
"

Fair enough! She can play Jacqueline then! (only mildly kidding)

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 6/30/24
Posted: 7/2/24 at 11:29pm

I heard they were trying to get Jinx in &Juliet to play the non binary character, to wrap these two conversations together 

Videos