Broadway props?

BJC899
#0Broadway props?
Posted: 7/23/04 at 11:02pm

(I seem to be starting random topics here)

I was wondering if anyone has props from a Broadway show. I know there are ones available through BC/EFA (auctions) sporadically.

I have one of the dimes from 42nd street (we're in the money) and a bird from the Lion Kind (the ones they fly over the audience at the beginning of act 2)

What exactly do they do with the props/sets after a show closes?

WiCkEd4LyFfE
#1re: Broadway props?
Posted: 7/23/04 at 11:04pm

cool! How did you get those?

*Kristen*

FosseBoi
#2re: Broadway props?
Posted: 7/23/04 at 11:20pm

You can get them on Ebay some times. But the prices can be HIGH.

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

Alix7272 Profile Photo
Alix7272
#3re: Broadway props?
Posted: 7/23/04 at 11:39pm

after a lot of them get stored or remade into sets for other shows it think. like i know when the papermill did camelot it had a lot of original set from broadway

No Child: http://www.epictheatrectr.org/
I Love You Because OCR: http://www.psclassics.com/cd_iloveyou.html

FosseBoi
#4re: Broadway props?
Posted: 7/23/04 at 11:41pm

Why dont they sale it!? They could make A LOT of money!

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line
Updated On: 7/24/04 at 11:41 PM

venticelli Profile Photo
venticelli
#5re: Broadway props?
Posted: 7/23/04 at 11:46pm

I know a few people who would pay good money for the green baby from Wicked - let's hope that doesn't appear on Ebay

"What could a computer do with a lifetime supply of chocolate? I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do with a lifetime supply of chocolate!"

localonecrew
#6re: Broadway props?
Posted: 7/23/04 at 11:48pm

sets usually get thrown away or they get saved for touring companies.
props are either rentals that need to be returned, or they get sent out on road companies, or the designers take the good stuff for their homes and the stage hands get the rest. i happen to have a very nice set of stairs coming off my deck that i got from a show i loaded out. i also have some of the magic props from Sweet Smell, and a few other pieces from other shows. load outs are always good for table lamps, mini fridges, batteries, and light bulbs.

BWayBoy88
#7re: Broadway props?
Posted: 7/24/04 at 12:11am

Dont they sell some props at the Broadway Flea Market?

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#8re: Broadway props?
Posted: 7/24/04 at 12:15am

there are usually prop pieces on ebay. like i remember a few days ago, there was a can of hairspray from "Hairspray". So sometimes the stagehands get the props?

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

BWayBoy88
#9re: Broadway props?
Posted: 7/24/04 at 12:29am

I heard the Les Mis set is in Germany I think.

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#10re: Broadway props?
Posted: 7/24/04 at 12:55am

I know after the 1998 return engagement of Les Miz in Toronto, the cast started giving out some of the props to fans at the stage door.

So what do you do with that canopy bird kite from TLK? Must be fun to play with.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

PennyLou Profile Photo
PennyLou
#11re: Broadway props?
Posted: 7/24/04 at 1:15am

I have A Hairspray can form the show, and One of the Mushnick and sons bags from LSOH and some of the prop money they use in LSOH also.
but thats nothing big really.

Grace: My love for you is like this scar (points to elbow) ulgy but permanent!

broadwaybaby654
#12re: Broadway props?
Posted: 7/24/04 at 1:32am

venticelli..they have the green baby prop from Wicked at Universal Studios in a Wicked display case.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#13re: Broadway props?
Posted: 7/24/04 at 2:10am

thats gotta be a little umm creepy

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

broadwaybaby654
#14re: Broadway props?
Posted: 7/24/04 at 2:13am

it is!!!

BJC899
#15re: Broadway props?
Posted: 7/24/04 at 2:19am

They should sell it..the money they can make!
I obtained my props from BC/EFA

Pix below
:)
The bird:
re: Broadway props?

Back of Dime: It's signed by the cast at the time of the purchase (a year ago?) and has marks on it to show which way it should be facing in respect to the audience and to tell if the face is right side up (plus all the tap shoe dents which is very cool) re: Broadway props?

Front of Dime: it looks 3d but isn't lol.
re: Broadway props?

I find it so fascinating how much work is put into these items.

:)

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#16re: Broadway props?
Posted: 7/24/04 at 9:45am

They do sell props from the shows at the flea market in Shubert Alley.
My most prized prop is the pink notepad that Galinda writes her letter on (Dearest darlingest momsy and popsicle) during the song "What is this feeling?" from Wicked. Back in February, Kristin accidently threw it into the audience, and I ended up with it since I had seats in the front. After the show, Kristin autographed it for me at the stage door. Wonder how much that would go for on e-bay? Not that I'd ever sell it!

CJR
#17re: Broadway props?
Posted: 7/24/04 at 2:23pm

I have one of the "June... SENSATION!" mock posters from the recent broadway production of Gypsy....

Not telling how I got it.... that's my little secret re: Broadway props?

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

Rose_MacShane Profile Photo
Rose_MacShane
#18re: Broadway props?
Posted: 7/24/04 at 2:58pm

I have a fish carcass that was nailed to the set of CATS (where exactly on the set it was, I'm not sure). I got it for Christmas the year it closed. My mom got it through BC/EFA and amazon.com. It even has a little genuine Winter Garden dust still on it.

http://community.livejournal.com/ltd_brands_suck/

ChristineDaae Profile Photo
ChristineDaae
#19re: Broadway props?
Posted: 7/24/04 at 2:59pm

I have beads from Phantoms chandilier and a pair of ballet slippers worn by one of the dancers.

I don't see that many shows participating in the flea market. I know Phantom and Rent sell alot of props- but what other shows?? When I went to the flea market, I saw alot of tables that sell playbills not so much props.

"Life will be frozen peaches and cream. Baby, dream Your Dream" ~ SC

broadwayguy2
#20re: Broadway props?
Posted: 7/24/04 at 4:23pm

not broadway, but i have a bunch of teh pink confeeti thrown on me during 'wedding bells' from bare.

marincrazy11 Profile Photo
marincrazy11
#21re: Broadway props?
Posted: 7/24/04 at 4:25pm

i know there are ragtime props on ebay every once in awhile

"Did you know that if you take the first two vowels in Olive and rearrange them it spells I-Love?"-Spelling Bee "It's night like this that hotel bars were specifically made." Light In The Piazza

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#22re: Broadway props?
Posted: 7/24/04 at 4:26pm

Is there a picture of the green baby from Wicked somewhere?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

broadwayguy2
#23re: Broadway props?
Posted: 7/24/04 at 4:29pm

green baby from Wicked?? okay.. fess up... who threw Cheno in the can of paint??

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#24re: Broadway props?
Posted: 7/24/04 at 4:31pm

I have one of Cheno's full blonde wigs that she wears not just for 'Wicked' but wherever she goes.

I keep it on my nightstand so that it is the last thing I see at night and the first thing I see in the morning.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

Videos