pixeltracker

Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?

Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?

#0Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?
Posted: 8/10/04 at 10:34pm

Anyone know if Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, writen by Gregory Maguire, also going to be a musical?

(He wrote the novel WICKED: Life and Times of you know who...).

Can anyone help me out?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#1re: Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?
Posted: 8/10/04 at 10:35pm

I dont think theyre planning on doing so, but thats a good idea.

ProducersFan
#2re: Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?
Posted: 8/10/04 at 10:38pm

I loved that book! I read it before Wicked and it got me hooked on Maguire's writings. Don't know if it would really work as a musical - but it sure would be interesting!

~Jessica

"If you start from a place of joy and charm, you can get away with a lot in the second act. It may be that that's my life. I'm not sure." ~Roger Bart

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#3re: Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?
Posted: 8/10/04 at 10:38pm

I really want to read Wicked, but have been tied up the whole summer doing other assignments.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

thibodeaux Profile Photo
thibodeaux
#4re: Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?
Posted: 8/10/04 at 10:39pm

I mean, look at the success of Wicked!

If *I* were Geoffrey Maguire, I'd be jumping at the bit.

But, maybe one Geoffrey Maguire story is enough for Broadway; although, from what I hear, Wicked the musical is WAY tamer than Wicked the book...

Nessa Rose having no arms and horribly mangled legs? eesh...

whatever and ever amen - ben folds five

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#5re: Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?
Posted: 8/10/04 at 10:41pm

I have Mirror Mirror on my desk just waiting to get started.

Stepsisters will be after that for sure.

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."
Updated On: 8/10/04 at 10:41 PM

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#6re: Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?
Posted: 8/10/04 at 10:41pm

You mean Gregory Maguire?

#7re: Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?
Posted: 8/10/04 at 10:43pm

Yeah...its Gregory...but yeah, from what i heard, the musical wicked isn't anything like the book. it's a little...sexual. but uh...(haha) and so is confessions, but I think with the success of Wicked, it should definetly be tried.

I haven't read Mirror Mirror yet.

musicgal04 Profile Photo
musicgal04
#8re: Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?
Posted: 8/10/04 at 11:23pm

After the butchering of "Wicked" I don't know if I would want to see any of his other books on Broadway. Stick to "Wicked" and let his other stories be enjoyed as they are.

Millie42 Profile Photo
Millie42
#9re: Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?
Posted: 8/10/04 at 11:27pm

The book is VERY different, but I think both are wonderful productions.
The book is incredibly in that Maguire has created a completely different universe. I can understand why some of the changes were made for the musical--it would not be good for children and mainstream tourists. But I would definitely suggest reading the book because I think it puts a lot more backstory and emotion into the musical, knowing all the details.

"My friends have made the story of my life." -Helen Keller

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#10re: Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?
Posted: 8/10/04 at 11:28pm

Which is better: the Confessions one or Mirror, Mirror?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

#11re: Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?
Posted: 8/10/04 at 11:37pm

I haven't read Mirror Mirror, but I want to. I think it's funny cause the part of Cinderella turns into a slut in the end. And in the novel Wicked, Elphaba and Fyero have sex. But that couldn't be put in the musical...hhaaha...no...but I agree, if you read the book you'll understand a lot more of the musical. Like the animal thing, and the emotions of Elphaba and Glinda. The have a more complex relationship in the novel that isn't in the musical (like the childhood visit to the beach house, if i remember correctly), and Elphaba's life at the Castle, and the little boy...and i could go on adn on....

KMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
#12re: Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?
Posted: 8/10/04 at 11:41pm

Confessions was supposed to be fiilmed for ABC Sunday movie (non-musical) and it never got finished...Mirror/Mirror has not had the rights released as of yet --

"Sir K, the Viscount of Uppity-shire...." -- kissmycookie

adamized88 Profile Photo
adamized88
#13re: Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?
Posted: 8/10/04 at 11:41pm

confessions was made into a tv movie a few years ago for ABC's wonderful world of disney but was panned - i have it on tape but still haven't sat down to watch it

"Nothing is an accident, We are free to have it all, We are what we want to be, It's in ourselves to rise or fall!!" - "Fortune Favors the Brave" from Aida - the love that never died

#14re: Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?
Posted: 8/10/04 at 11:56pm

a few years ago? it's copywright is '99...it can't be that old
Updated On: 8/10/04 at 11:56 PM

OhSoWicked
#15re: Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?
Posted: 8/11/04 at 12:28am

In the novel Elphaba and Nessa have a brother, Shell.

The novel is great, but its miles away from the musical. It's so much darker and the language is a little hard to understand at points, but it is amazinggg. I couldnt put it down.

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#16re: Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?
Posted: 8/11/04 at 7:35am

i had a hard time getting into Confessions because i kept looking for the Cinderella story, instead of a stepsister story, which was the WRONG thing to do...

Aaron27 Profile Photo
Aaron27
#17re: Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?
Posted: 8/11/04 at 8:15am

Maguire is great. Don't go into reading Wicked with the expectations of the musical. It's basically a dark satire on religion and politics. It's phenominal but if the musical was based 100% on the book, I gurantee it would have been a flop.

I've tried reading Confessions a few times, but just can't seem to get into it. On the other hand, Mirror, Mirror is fantastic! I couldn't put it down, like Wicked. I was sad when I finished it. I didn't want it to be over

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#18re: Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?
Posted: 8/11/04 at 8:20am

WICKED renewed my interest in reading. Not that I had stopped reading, but it had been a good long while since I loved a book so much.

MIRROR MIRROR is sitting on my desk ready to go. Too bad I have to work and love to read this site so much.

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

Emilou983
#19re: Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?
Posted: 8/11/04 at 8:54am

Stepsister was a movie with the likes of Stockard Channing, etc. The book is an easier read that Wicked.

The book of Wicked, however, is very different from the musical. I mean the ideas are the same, but they're explored very differently. There were many fights between Maguire and the other writers when writing the show. I don't think that Maguire is running to do it again...

Feel the flow, Hear what's happening: We're what's happening. Don't you know? We're the movers and we're the shapers. We're the names in tomorrow's papers ~Merrily We Roll Along

#20re: Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?
Posted: 8/11/04 at 10:57am

Yeah, you can't read Confessions thinking it's about Cinderella. It's about the stepsisters and what they had to go through living with the spoiled little brat.

And someone said the book was narrated by the stepmother, uh....no...it was somebody else. (I don't want to spoil anyone.) But I couldn't put either one down, and I think I'll go by Mirror Mirror today to see what happens.

#21re: Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?
Posted: 8/11/04 at 12:08pm

Wicked the book was definitely more complex than the musical. Fiyero and Glinda in the book never had any sort of interest in each other, and I believe he had some sort of blue tribal designs all over his body? Something like that. And Dr. Dillamond had it way easier in the musical compared to the book. There's a lot of differences though.

Ron88keys Profile Photo
Ron88keys
#22re: Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?
Posted: 8/11/04 at 12:23pm

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister was made into a Disney Made for TV movie I believe....maybe about 3 years ago? I didn't see it but heard about it.

A quick Google search came up with this link....

http://entertainment.msn.com/movies/movie.aspx?m=526796

USActorSinger Profile Photo
USActorSinger
#23re: Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?
Posted: 8/11/04 at 1:10pm

wow....I never even noticed when this came out:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0267384/combined

StrStruckDreamr9 Profile Photo
StrStruckDreamr9
#24re: Is the 2nd Maguire novel a musical also?
Posted: 8/11/04 at 2:27pm

Yes, the ABC version of "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister" was rather dull. Don't bother to watch it, adamized.

Videos