Aladdin - the musical?

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#0Aladdin - the musical?
Posted: 11/12/04 at 1:09pm

I was wandering last nite while I was making myself sleep... you know, when you cannot sleep... stupid stuff comes up!
While I was actually imagine a cast for it:
Princess Jasmine: Lea Salonga/ Susan Egan/ Kerry Butler
Aladdin: Paolo Montalban/ Chris Seiber
Jarfar: Terrance Mann/ Ian Mckellen
Gene (spelt rite?): Harvey Fierstein!!!!

What do think about that?
My CHICAGO the musical group!

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#1re: Aladdin - the musical?
Posted: 11/12/04 at 1:14pm

No, no, no, and no.

Harvey as the Genie? Ian McKellen as JAFAR? Don't see it. At least not based on Disney's film.

The great thing about Disney musicals is that you DON'T need big names to bring people to the seats. Their reputation does it alone.

Therefore, unknown actors are given a better chance to make it.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#2re: Aladdin - the musical?
Posted: 11/12/04 at 1:19pm

Well.... I was drowsing to sleep....
My CHICAGO the musical group!

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#3re: Aladdin - the musical?
Posted: 11/12/04 at 1:31pm

I actually think that's the perfect cast.
Paolo Montalban is perfect for Aladdin--he has the perfect look and a great voice.
Lea Salonga as Jasmine works--she did Jasmine's singing in the movie.
Harvey would be a hoot as the Genie, and would definitely bring in a crowd.
And Terrance Mann is perfect as Jafar--he has the long face and the evil look about him with an ass kicking voice.

They could do amazing things with this musical on stage if they wanted to.

Mimi Imfurst
#4re: Aladdin - the musical?
Posted: 11/12/04 at 1:32pm

I would never have thought of Harvey for the Geni, but now that you say that, it would be pretty damn funny. You also need someone who can pull off impersonations of other people and I think if it were harvey, the part would have to be written for it to be him. I would actually think Lea Delaria would make a brillante Geni.

NYC's Most Retarded Drag Queen The Mimi Show: hosted by Mimi Imfurst features Broadway stars Tuesdays @ 10:30pm Weekly! June 13th: Hairspray's Michelle Dowdy, June 20th: Aida's Lori Ann Strunk, June 27th: Composer Katie Thompson No Cover- No Drink Minimum OW BAR: 221 E 58th Street (between 2nd and 3rd) www.owbar.com

Alix Profile Photo
Alix
#5re: Aladdin - the musical?
Posted: 11/12/04 at 1:38pm

lol, I have been thinking for a while that Jai Rodriguez would be a PERFECT Aladdin. lol, I guess I think he would be perfect in a lot of things, but this time I really do think he would be amazing!

Alix

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#6re: Aladdin - the musical?
Posted: 11/12/04 at 1:43pm

I would rather see Robin Williams do the Genie Live with a new spin....

Unknowns otherwise...

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

ProducersFan
#7re: Aladdin - the musical?
Posted: 11/12/04 at 3:11pm

Couldn't Johnathan Freeman reprise his role as Jafar on the stage? That is, after his run as Roger DeBris. re: Aladdin - the musical?

~Jessica

"If you start from a place of joy and charm, you can get away with a lot in the second act. It may be that that's my life. I'm not sure." ~Roger Bart

Jgssf Profile Photo
Jgssf
#8re: Aladdin - the musical?
Posted: 11/12/04 at 3:44pm

Id Love to see Justin Guarinin starring on broadway as Alladin.
I think he would be fantastic in that role.

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#9re: Aladdin - the musical?
Posted: 11/12/04 at 3:45pm

Maybe they could do something radical like casting actual Arabs in the stage version of 'Aladdin.'

Yankeefan007
#10re: Aladdin - the musical?
Posted: 11/12/04 at 4:02pm

maybe tom hewitt as the genie?

edenespinosalover Profile Photo
edenespinosalover
#11re: Aladdin - the musical?
Posted: 11/12/04 at 5:39pm

Tom Hewitt would make a good genie. I'd love to see him do that. I saw him in "Urinetown" and he was amazing.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#12re: Aladdin - the musical?
Posted: 11/12/04 at 6:55pm

ehh... I don't want EVERY Disney movie turned into a Broadway musical, but I love me some "Proud of Your Boy". Not the Clay one... ewww... the original demo one. Beautiful.

I <3 You Profile Photo
I <3 You
#13re: Aladdin - the musical?
Posted: 11/12/04 at 10:59pm

whoaaa. I was thinking about this, too. I love Aladdin. It would be awesome if it was on broadway.

"The opposite of war isn't peace . . . It's CREATION!"

Alix Profile Photo
Alix
#14re: Aladdin - the musical?
Posted: 11/12/04 at 11:05pm

I loved Tom Hewitt in URINETWON...and ROCKY HORROR for that matter. He would be a great Genie!

DestinyBeckoned Profile Photo
DestinyBeckoned
#15re: Aladdin - the musical?
Posted: 11/12/04 at 11:11pm

It would be really fun to see a flying carpet on broadway. And do you think they would use a real monkey? I'm guessing a real tiger is out of the question though...

HROK?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#16re: Aladdin - the musical?
Posted: 11/12/04 at 11:49pm

see... once we start talking about how they're gonna do the animals I loose interest. just go see the Aladdin stage show at California Adventure and be done with it. Didn't cole porter write an Aladdin musical? I'd rather see that...

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#17re: Aladdin - the musical?
Posted: 11/13/04 at 3:05am

Mmm, I'd love to see Manu Narayn from BOMBAY do Aladdin...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#18re: Aladdin - the musical?
Posted: 11/13/04 at 10:05pm

I am a huge Harvey fan but he will not be the genie. If Aladdin ever comes to Broadway Robin Williams MUST PLAY him.

END OF STORY

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

LyTeMyCanDyI Profile Photo
LyTeMyCanDyI
#19re: Aladdin - the musical?
Posted: 11/13/04 at 10:32pm

I agree on Lea and Harvey. I also want Proud of Your Boy, but I like the clay version. I wouldn't cast him in the show though. I'd say Brad Musgrove as Aladdin and Tom Hewitt as Jafar. I think Doug Sills could be a good Genie too.

Megan Mullally as Karen Walker on Will and Grace: "Tell me more. Tell me more. Like does he have a car?"

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#20re: Aladdin - the musical?
Posted: 11/18/04 at 1:52pm

I saw the Aladdin show at Disney's California Adveture and it was SO cheesy. I thought, "Man they better step it up a few notches if they want to take this to Broadway."

It was nothing more than theme park entertainment.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Barnaby12345 Profile Photo
Barnaby12345
#21re: Aladdin - the musical?
Posted: 11/18/04 at 2:35pm

I think Aladdin would be awesome but I still think that Hunchback would be the best Disney musical to go to BWay

broadwayguy2
#22re: Aladdin - the musical?
Posted: 11/18/04 at 2:37pm

I LOVE the German production of Hunchback.

Barnaby12345 Profile Photo
Barnaby12345
#23re: Aladdin - the musical?
Posted: 11/18/04 at 4:18pm

How are the new songs added to the show?

MaTakeALookAtMe Profile Photo
MaTakeALookAtMe
#24re: Aladdin - the musical?
Posted: 11/18/04 at 5:40pm

If casting of Jafar is based on having a long face and an evil look, I hear John Kerry is out of work right now...

Videos